TV On My Time, Why I Love DVR

November 28th, 2008 at 8:12 am by under Entertainment

This may step on the toes of our other entertainment writers, ala Aaron Lafferty and Avi Forstein, but I had to go on the record about my love for timeshifting TV.

So that’s just a fancy word for TIVOing or DVRing, but it truly is fantastic.

When I upgraded my TV to an HDTV, I had to dole out an extra $7 bucks a month to Comcast to get HD service.  The rep on the phone then sold me the DVR service for only $6 more.  I can say it’s the best entertainment decision I’ve ever made.

I use the division of movie dollars.  I’d pay $7 for 2 hours at a movie, so I have to get at least 2 hours of value out of a purchase.  The DVR has done that.

I’ve got something recording on the DVR almost every day.  Every weekday I have to record Around the Horn & Pardon the Interruption for the sports nut in me.

As for other shows, days of the week are broken down like this:

Sunday: Dexter, Entourage, True Blood. (Though, Entourage and True Blood just had season finales, there will be other shows come January)

Monday: Chuck, Heroes (Used to record Terminator, but it didn’t hold my interest.)

Tuesday: The Mentalist, Fringe (And before in concluded the World Series of Poker, because it’s great background TV.)

Wednesday: Pushing Daisies, Life (Though Pushing Daisies is now… pushing daisies and was cancelled.)

Thursday: The Office, 30 Rock, Survivor. (Since Survivor made the jump to HD it’s like watching Planet Earth, stunningly beautiful.)

Friday: Numb3rs. (I don’t know why, but it’s one of the most appealing cop shows to me, and I’m not even really into math.)

Saturday: It’s the DVR’s day of rest, unless there’s an HD movie on HBO or Showtime.

For my family, not having to make an appointment to do something really sets me free.  My 3 year old daughter doesn’t care what time my shows are on, because she will dominate my time whenever she chooses.  It’s nice to be able to watch an 8pm show after she goes to bed, or when she’s taking a nap in the afternoon.  Also, watching something you recorded on the DVR doesn’t require paying the sitter $10 an hour.

Do I watch more TV now? Certainly, but it’s cheaper than the alternative forms of entertainment.  Not to mention there are some quality shows on TV, Avi would attest to that.

In addition, it’s nice to have HD episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Handy Manny available should the need ever arise to quell a toddler uprising.

Have questions about something? You can email me at matt (dot) schuler (at) woodtv (dot) com. And for more, shorter updates, check out my Twitter to the right or follow me at twitter.com/mattschuler.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “TV On My Time, Why I Love DVR”

1. LightningWatcher says:

No adult swim on that schedule, or can you not admit to it? I see your a fan of Penny Arcade. DVR service is great until you move or have to switch service and loose all those movies stashed in the DVR.

2. El Baraccho says:

What the heck is up with the ‘<3′?

I had to look it up. If you’re going to write for a news organization, use proper words, not symbols. Or, go back to writing for the high school newspaper.

3. Matt Schuler says:

Lightning, I totally hear ya. I had to swap out my box with Comcast and lost a summer’s worth of saved programming. Not cool.

Part of the reason I don’t schedule Adult Swim is because it’s not in HD, Comcast is a little behind the times. :-/

-Matt

4. Beth says:

I agree. I also use the pause and reverse function. In case I’m watching something and the kids need me I can pause what I’m watching and come back to it later. Also, I can record programs I like during the times when my kids are watching what they like on TV.

5. Matt Schuler says:

Beth,

Pause and reverse are great, especially during sporting events. You can check out that replay RIGHT AWAY, instead of waiting for the broadcast to get around to it.

-Matt

6. Matt – DVR is the best!!! When we got it a couple years ago, it changed our life – I think its the biggest revolution in home entertainment since VHS and Cable before it!

Seriously, and I’m not just saying that as a movie and sports guy (and tv fan)… the ability to watch multiple programs in the same time slot is awesome… in the old days… (yeah, I’m dating myself) you had to choose which network show you wanted to watch in a given time slot, now with DVR you can watch 1 show and record 1-2 others (or more if you have more tuners).

This is great for 2 more reasons:
    1 – as a movie fan – you can record some of those movies you haven’t seen and watch them when you have time

2 – as a sports fan, you can control your own instant replays and you don’t have to wait for a 2 minute commercial break to get up and get a snack/run to the bathroom

welcome to the world of being your own program director Matt!

and welcome to the blog family!
    :) – Aaron

7. Matt Schuler says:

Thank you Aaron. :)

Everything you said is right on. I <3 my DVR.

-Matt