Wal Mart Raises Ire

March 24th, 2009 at 11:39 am by under Uncategorized

As I expected, there was strong response when I reported last night that WalMart’s food prices came in 28% lower than the competition.

GVSU Marketing Professor Ben Rudolph told me  about this love/hate relationship that America has with its largest company:

“…there  are so many people that hate Wal Mart, actually.   People can get bargains and actually raise their standard of living by shopping there and if you’re having a hard time making a living, it’s wonderful what they do.  On the other hand if you’re affluent, it is sort of bare bones.”

Here’s one letter from a viewer:

Your story on the price of a list of groceries at various stores in an area of Grand Rapids just ran on the 5 o’clock news.  What you failed to mention is that, although WalMart had the lowest price for the items on your shopping list, they use a BIG hammer to force their suppliers to reduce their prices down to a point that very nearly leaves the suppliers with no profit.  The other stores in your story, since they are smaller and have less “buying power,” do not have the access to a “big hammer.”  Years ago, WalMart made it a point to advertise that most of their products were “Made In The USA.”  Just go in any WalMart store now, pick up ten items at random, and see where they were made.  You will find that most of the items were made in China.  Although manufacturing employees in the US must become comfortable with earning less of an hourly wage than what they have been enjoying for years, US employees will not be willing to accept the 10-to-20-cents-per-hour that Chinese employees receive.  The bottom line is that WalMart will do anything to maximize the difference between their buy prices and sell prices for all of the products they sell (the WalMart bigwigs are just as greedy as any of the bigwigs on Wall Street).  The citizens of the US who have understood this reality about WalMart have already stopped giving WalMart business.  Many citizens of the US could care less–they want the LOWEST PRICE irrespective of other considerations.  The rest of the citizens of the US have not yet realized what WalMart is doing.  It is VERY UNFAIR for your station to characterize WalMart as being the low-cost source when you look only at the bottom line.  If you are not willing to look at the TOTAL PICTURE, do not do the story.  You have a responsibility to your viewers, and to the public in general, to provide an ACCURATE picture of EVERY story you do!
My response,  I  play no favorites.  Our survey looks strictly at price.  There are other factors that may be more important to shoppers and the retailers know that, I believe.   We will be staying on top of prices  on all things and I welcome your suggestions for future comparisons.
Please email me at anne.schieber@woodtv.com

46 Responses to “Wal Mart Raises Ire”

1. Mike Raven says:

The part I love about this is why would Wood TV support a company that is not from this area and loves to employ part time people. The Walmarts of the world are like a cancer in this country. I personnaly wouldnt shop at walmart if you paid me too. There store brand products are trash. I think supporting a company where the money stays in the state instead of more money leaving is the important thing here.

Mike

2. Denny Thomas says:

i can’t stand walmart and i dont beleave Ch8 should be pushing there products, i shop at Meijer and they have a union and pay there help good with Insurance and that means a lot to me. Plus they sell more American made products than walmart does. if your shopping at walmart your shopping in China………….

1. Steve says:

Denney…I’ll say the same thing I said on the Topix site. Go buy the Mattel speak & play made in China from Meijer. Anne pointed out a very valid point in the fact that Wal*Mart allows me to buy more “stuff” cause I have more buying power with my dollar. I’ve watched the show that CNBC shows around Christmas and it is OK with me. I’ll admit they they are a powerhouse in the retail world and we all get some good from it. They will spend money on reserch to design a change in their warehouse, trucks or freight systems because the ROI can be huge when played out in the size of their operation. And…if you have not noticed yet, whatever Wal*Mart does…soon so will Meijer. They got a foothold with their first Superstore out on the edge of Meijers home. Just watch…my guess is they will have at least another store in the works by the end of 2010. Most of the people demonizing W are big labor people or read the liberal agenda talking points and start posting.

1. Chris says:

Ignoring all the crap about “big labor” and “liberal talking points” in Steve’s post, I think the true bottom line here is that a LOT of Americans are just plain GREEDY. We want more “stuff.” More, more, more. And, while I personally never shop a Walmart for a wide variety of reasons, you have to admit: they figured out what the average American is and exploited it perfectly. What does a greedy person want more than “stuff”? Cheaper “stuff” so they can buy more of it. Why does ANYONE need more “stuff”? You WANT it, you don’t NEED it. How much of what we all buy at Meijer, Walmart, Family Fare, etc. is stuff we truly NEED? And I’m not talking about using mint toothpaste vs. baking soda or living on bread and water alone. I’m talking about all the aisles of other crap that you buy every time you set foot into one of these stores. I truly think we’d all be much happier if we stopped worrying about trying to accumulate as much “stuff” as we can before we die, which means we won’t be spending half our lives trying to save 99 cents here and $2.56 there so that we can buy a BIGGER TV or a BIGGER lawnmower or MORE processed macaroni product in a processed cheese food sauce…

*sigh*

2. Lynda says:

You need to go back to school Denny Thomas and learn to spell and learn the proper use of there, their and they’re.

3. marge says:

This gets my blood boiling. I have watched the documentary on Walmart and people have no idea. I agree with EVERYTHING stated in the above email. That person is RIGHT ON!!! Let’s shop local and keep Meijer going!!!

4. clymbn says:

I do not care about the politics behind any store,All I know is I can save up to 40% on my groceries at Walmart. I actually see smiling faces on the employees there too. At Meijer most of the stores are filthy and prices are sky high leaving me with a disgusted feeling whenever I go in their stores. I think Meijer needs to focus on customer satisfaction and not worry about what any other company is doing,or just start closing their stores and slowly fade away.

5. Sally says:

I am an avid Walmart shopper and always will be. They make their vendors do what they need done. That’s the way business is done if it’s done right.
    As for charging more for certain items for certain places on the grocery shelf? They ALL do that! All of them! Most popular brands are at eye level. All of them have done this for years!
    As for the products and goods available to the U.S. consumers? Where do you think the rest of the grocers/vendors get their goods? Most of them buy the same goods from the same resource as Walmart.
    Walmart brings a lower price for the same goods.
    They have come a long way in their employee/employer relations. Yes, they need to go further, but, having a union is not always the answer. As for part-time hours? How many part-timers are at the other stores? Including holiday hirings. Wake up people Walmart should not be the scapegoat.
    I do not shop at that other store and I won’t. You people who do…? Pay attention to all of these stores. Take a walk through all of these stores and make up your own mind. Try to go in with an open mind.
    If you really dislike Walmart so much, don’t shop there. It’s that simple. But there is a reason Walmart is the largest, it’s the best and most economic place to do your shopping. In these hard times we all need Walmart.

1. Steve says:

Sally…I’m with you. People are voting with their dollar. I don’t carry the social baggage that some posting here do. I do see people working there that would never be considered for employment at the other named stores, but some how the trashtalkers steer you to think that they are exploiting them. Think of that person going out and interacting with public. Soon their confidence builds and they might be willing to further their resposiblities. Where else and what better place can they take their drive and desire to better themselves but within the very corporation that extended the initial offer.
      I encourage people to read this peice from the New York Post

2. Rose says:

Several years ago I had applied to both Wal-mart and Meijer, one offered slightly above minimum wage with benefits of a labor union the other offered two dollars above minimum plus starting pay increase with past experience. My starting wage was just below $10 per hour.

6. rosie says:

personally I can tell you from experience as I have worked for Meijer and walmart both that they both do the same exact thing as far as working part time and pushing to get the product out, I shop at both stores every month because some items I need I cannot find at meijer and some items I cannot find at walmart. I buy some items at meijer because I know they are cheaper and vice versa. they are both the same. neither one really cares about the employees. only the bottom line. also I have seen both stores do exactly the same things . when they build a new store nearby they always ,ALWAYS cut employee hours. that is where they get the cash to build the new store. I have seen BOTH companies do this . IT IS ALL ABOUT CRAMMING THEIR WALLETS WHILE THE EMPLOYEES SUFFER. so now make your choice.

7. Dee says:

I HATE WALMART! They are crappy to their employees and their suppliers! They slice and dice suppliers commissions to get the “lowest” price….I know, my husband delivers there and we make less money putting our product in Walmart! Stay local, shop Spartan or Meijer stores!!

1. Steve says:

Dee…can you disclose some idea as to the product you have dealings with Wal*Mart? Do you also provide product to the other two in your posting?

2. Larry of Hastings/Barry Co. says:

Dee, what kind of products are you talking about?

3. Steve says:

Well Dee…you have yet to respond to either my or Larry’s post. I’m geussing that your comment is mute…. like you.

8. Mark K says:

What’s better: spending 28% more and having less to live on, or shopping at Wal-Mart and having more at the end of the month?

Meijer ain’t that great. The service sucks…they NEVER have what I’m looking for, and their prices are way too high. A pack of cheese is a full dollar higher than Wal-Mart. I’d be happy to pay an extra 30 cents or so…but that kind of gap is why I stopped fighting.

Mom and Pop need to close up shop. Economy and skills are changing. If you don’t adapt, and evolve…you’re out of business. It’s your fault. Wal-Mart can be beaten both at the ballot, and on the street—

but as I’ve seen for decades….most business owers are WAY too stupid to know how to compete against the. Too bad…I call it thinning of the herd. If you don’t know how to gain share and keep your base from running to Wally World…you’re not good enough to have a business.

Wal Mart rules…and is far more in touch with the reality that families in American are facing than anyone. They should probably throw a few more dollar at their workers, though.

Meijer can suck it.

1. Mike R says:

The Cheese that is a dollar less also if you look you will not find the real seal. I would spend the money to get the product that is the best for my family.

1. Chris says:

Indeed! Regardless of where I shop, I don’t automatically pick up the cheapest version of a particular item. So often, you DO get what you pay for. You DO understand what companies do to lower costs on a product, right? Lower quality ingredients (food), lower quality construction (dry goods), etc. Go out to archive.org and pull up a copy of the Peanut Corporation of America’s website before they took it down prior to the salmonella outbreak. It says: “At Peanut Corporation of America, we know we need to shine so that you and your customers can be assured of consistent quality, safety, and dependability when you allow us to process your peanuts.” And “We work constantly to maintain a clean environment so we can provide a clean, safe product. To make sure we are always in compliance with federal, state, and local government regulations and guidelines…” It’s all bullcrap! You can’t have a high-quality, well-made, safe-as-can-be product for next to nothing pricewise! If you want to feed your children cheese (or peanut butter!) that’s a buck cheaper at Walmart and contains God-knows-what in it, feel free. I sleep better at night knowing I didn’t go that route…

9. Mike says:

I know that I have never seen a show or visited the Wal Mart Gardens, had surgery at any Wal Mart Cancer Centers or ridden my bike down the Sam Walton Trail. Maybe the few extra cents you might pay provide dividends that you can’t measure at the register.

The piece also mentioned that “if you ask” you can get the discount available on two products on a pro rata basis by buying just one. That was a bit inaccurate as every major retailer (not 7-11) allows that automatically. No asking is ever required…can you imagine the wait at the registers.

10. Jennifer says:

The response to the letter misses the point. The point is that the survey SHOULD be expanded to focus more on “price,” but rather the TOTAL COST of Wal-Mart’s low prices, which ultimately raise costs elsewhere in the economy, in terms of health insurance (not provided to most employees at Wal-Mart), welfare, unemployment (because Wal-Mart drives out competition), etc. Price is not the be-all, end-all in consumer costs.

11. Chuck says:

Its Not so much the products they have nor the lower prices but its all about how they treat the employees and what bennies if any they have and service to the customer.. dont you think? I for one will NOT shop at walmart. They were in trouble way back and I hear even thier stocks are down. Hmm wonder why?
    But with any company I ever seen, no matter who it is, as soon as they start selling stocks in the company the the whole idea of customer/employee realtions seems to give way to “its better that we serve our stockholders better than we do the customer or employee.
    I seen it time and time again. And that my freinds, will never change

12. Gini says:

In these hard economic times I look at the bottom line price and go where I will get the most for the buck. The problem is with WalMart, they do not have a superstore anywhere in my area so have to travel a ways. Like the person said – if you don’t like them – don’t shop there. Meijers is too high on prices and their employees are always griping.

13. Emily says:

I have been a Walmart employee for 13 years. Some of these claims may have been issues in the past. In todays world most of them are outdated. I went from a part-time associate making $5.50 a hr. to high up in the company with no college education. When it comes to employees if they want to succeed they can. I think arguing between Meijer’s and Walmart is silly. They all have the same buisness practices there retail stores. If you walk in any general merchandise section of any retail store you pretty much will see made in China on most labels. When you talk about charity just look at Walmart’s record we are at the top for donations to Children Miricle Network and that is used locally at Devos Childrens hospitals. I have handed out many local donations so I suggest before making these claims you do more research. The comment about Walmart’s stock, it is up $1.00 and Walmart has been the top retail stock for the past 6 monthes right in front of Cosco. I have the fact I never make assumptions.

1. Zeelander says:

I’m glad you enjoy working at Wal-Mart, too bad some of the other workers feel “They don’t care about the Employee” …..most likely they are the one’s who “don’t care about the company they work for”…good luck in your career!!!!!

14. Paul says:

The Wal Mart piece is the biggest example of yellow journalism I’ve ever seen!
    Why wasn’t Aldi included?
    Who selected the items?
    Mike is so right Annie. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you!

15. John Engelmann says:

Sadly, the fact is when it comes to hard goods (electronics, appliances, etc.) the bulk of these items are not manufactured nor sourced in the United States. While Walmart imports huge amounts of merchandise from China, so does any other company that sells these types of items.
    The problem is thus: Goods manufactured in China are manufactured very inexpensively and brought to market here in the US. If these same goods were to be manufactured here, the cost on the shelf would be far higher due to the higher payroll and benefits expenses associated with manufacturing in the US (not to mention, utilities, taxes on factories / real estate), etc.
    We have a choice…either do without a lot of the “luxuries” we have become accustomed to having, or, as Americans, accept a LOT less pay for manufacturing positions and manufacture the goods here at a much higher price.

16. Zeelander says:

What I’ve found out is this…

There are cheaper places to purchase things, some stores have cheaper meat, some its their dry goods that are cheaper, some always has a great special going on…

It does not seem to matter which chain you are looking at…. all of them have a store or two with bad employees, unkept shelves or dirty floors, seeder than normal customers, too busy and not enough open counters…

What should matter is… shop where you want to and when you want too… to many people place the cost of the food over the cost of getting the food…. my wife goes to Family Fare, Meijer and Wal-Mart sometimes the same day..It drives me nuts, but to her she would rather get what she wants from where she wants…It’s one of those “it’s not worth the arguement” situations. The fact is, if you want the cheapest food, you most likely should buy bulk only, shop only once a month….but some people don’t live this way…

If more people would look at the cost of transportation to and from the store… most would find it is cheaper to go to the nearest store, unless you are buying large quantities of food.

17. Zeelander says:

My brother hates Wal-Mart because he knew some people who worked for a company that manufactured a product for Wal-Mart and the company over the years was less profitable each year until they could not make money, even though they were making more of them. They blame Wal-Mart for their Purchasing program.

Wal-Mart would typically offer to try and sell somebody’s product at a set price for a limit time frame, if that product is successful, they would then offer a purchase contract that would include a % of price reduction if sales volume hits x amount of units, more off if it hits y amounts of units, etc.. These contracts could be for 1 to 10 years…

The Owner’s of the product making company would make good money at first, but the more they sell the less profit there is. Production line increases and bulk material purchases, at first can offset the profit loss, but if the product is a good seller and sells for a few years… the material cost increase, labor cost increases and facility cost increase can literally force the company in the ground.. Its the Owner’s of these companies that did not fully understand the long range effects for the short term profits that lured them into the contract,

That’s why they have the falling price, smiling face ball bouncing up and down the ailes.

18. Paul says:

My Grandpa used to say “Oats are cheaper when they’ve been thru the horse.”

19. David says:

I find it funny that people in this State wine about not having jobs. But complane about a company that does what it has to to keep prices down. And makes jobs for this State you all are a bunch of hypocrites

1. Chris says:

Aside from your poor grammar and spelling errors, you don’t seem to see the big picture here. Sure, Walmart employs people. From what you’re saying, is that based on that fact alone, we should laud them and not make note of the many problems they cause, correct? I think what people want are GOOD jobs paying a living wage so they can support their families. And some people here also want to shop at a store that doesn’t make it a policy of driving its suppliers and vendors out of business. Just because a corporation employs people doesn’t mean that corporation should be immune from any and all scrutiny. If you give Walmart a pass and ignore all the problems they create just because they are an “employer” means the quality of life in your area will continually decline to the point where you can never get it back. (And this applies to ANY company, not just Walmart.)

2. Lynda says:

You need to go back to school too David

20. Sandi says:

I’ve dealt with Walmart on the business side – I absolutely refuse to buy anything from – I don’t care if they’re giving away stuff. Their business practices leave a lot to be desired. AND the way they treat their employees is horrible. Besides I rather my money go into the pockets of local retailers to benefit Grand Rapids and local communities.

21. Jean says:

I liked Paul’s Grandpa’s advice! My thoughts…..to each his own. I shop at both Meijer and Walmart. Walmart, for the most part, is cheaper than Meijer. Grocery shopping once per month, I usually get most dry goods from Walmart. I always get produce at Meijer. I have not had good luck with produce lasting awhile from Walmart. However, you have to check the produce real well at Meijer, too. Just some of my thoughts.

Ultimately, only shop where you want to…nobody is twisting your arm.

22. Anne Schieber says:

I think the postings reflect what we can generally accept – there is no way to feel half way about WalMart.

Food prices are higher here than other markets in the country. Grand Rapids has one WalMart Supercenter. There is strong loyalty to Meijer. WalMart tends to force the competition to lower its prices but it can’t do that when shoppers make up their mind to support one company over another. Do you suppose Meijer realizes this? Meijer does support the community in very visable ways but companies are not in the business to support charity at the expense of profits. Those contributions are factored into prices in some way.

There are companies that promise to make contributions to charity if you buy their product. I’d prefer the lower price and use the savings to support the charity of my choice. I’m all for honest pricing.

1. Chris says:

Anne – Remember, most of the charitable giving comes from Fred Meijer himself, not from the company. Sure, the company makes charitable contributions (either cash or services), but the “big ticket” philanthropy (e.g. Frederik Meijer Gardens, the Fred & Lena Meijer Heart Center, the Fred Meijer White Pine Trail, the Fred Meijer Heartland Trail, the Fred Meijer Nature Preserve, etc.) are all from Fred & Lena, not the company. Yes, Fred & Lena derived their income from the company, which was derived from profits made on selling the rest of us goods, but we really should keep Fred & Lena’s giving apart from the corporation’s donations.

I think what you might be missing is that people here locally do have a loyalty to Meijer (and Spartan, etc.) because either they worked there as a bagboy when they were younger, or their sister works there or their next-door neighbor drives truck for them, etc., etc., etc. So, when we buy a product from Meijer, we’re supporting the local economy MORE than when we buy something from Bentonville, Arkansas or Minneapolis, Minnesota.

2. Mike R says:

Anne,

Its not honest pricing though when they force people to sell for such a small profit that it almost puts them out of work tring to supply Walmart. I can tell you my money is better spent when it stays in Michigan. It comes down to this you have to support who you feel you should. If it means I spend 10 dollars more at a LOCAL store I will any day of the week.

23. Anne Schieber says:

Here’s a thought. WalMart makes competitors better. The WalMart factor has made Meijer a more efficient company. Likewise, Spartan. People worry that WalMart will drive away the competition. I don’t buy that. One size never fits all. Spartan has carved out its niche by serving more affluent consumers. Meijer falls somewhere in between. The only place where WalMart dominates are in very small towns where small competitors could not offer the price efficiencies of WalMart. The free market speaks. If customers in those towns wanted to keep paying those higher prices, they would shop at those retailers and ignore WalMart, but they don’t.

24. Anne Schieber says:

Here’s a thought. WalMart makes competitors better. The WalMart factor has made Meijer a more efficient company. Likewise, Spartan. People worry that WalMart will drive away the competition. I don’t buy that. One size never fits all. Spartan has carved out its niche by serving more affluent consumers. Meijer falls somewhere in between. The only place where WalMart dominates is in very small towns where small competitors can’t offer the price efficiencies of WalMart. (I would also argue that these smaller operations don’t offer better pay and benefits than WalMart) The free market speaks. If customers in those towns wanted to keep paying those higher prices, they would shop at those retailers and ignore WalMart, but they don’t.

1. Chris says:

Anne, when you say that Walmart makes competitors better, sure. I, for one, am not saying Walmart is completely evil. They have done some good things. Their commitment to becoming greener (e.g. adding more skylights to cut down on power use and costs) is laudable and something other major retailers should not only borrow but improve upon! And, yes, competition is at the heart of our free market economy and generally results in a healthy level of commerce.

One point I would very much disagree with is that whatever Walmart does is beneficial and healthy for our communities and our underlying economy. If Walmart realizes efficiencies by outsourcing their IT department to India and putting the screws to their suppliers and vendors so much that they either end up going out of business (which has been documented) or they, too, have to offshore all production, THAT really starts damaging your economy and your community. Because, then to simply stay in business, the competition (Meijer, Target, etc.) have to do the same — offshore various activities like Meijer did with their IT department a few years back — and then you have a downward spiral developing.

I am not trying to make Walmart out to the the Evil Empire that some people do. They HAVE brought innovation and process improvement to the industry. But many of their practices have also been rather despicable and, given the size of the corporation and their market saturation in many areas, the aforementioned despicable acts translate into a much greater level of damage to our communities and the economy. For Duthler’s Family Foods to employ some of Walmart’s practices would likely result in a rather negligible negative outcome, while Walmart employing the same tactics across the continent in over 6,000 stores… well, you see where I’m going. Why SHOULDN’T Walmart be held accountable for what they’re doing and for why they’ve become what they are today? You don’t get this big by being the “Nice Guy,” now do you?

25. David says:

Chris when you go into Meijer remember that statement about buying from Bentonville Ark. or Minneapolis Minn. when you buy something that is made in another nation. And to Lynda you where able to read my blog goes to say something about your ed. you dont like the way I spell dont read it.

26. David says:

I agree with you Ann I live in a city that a Wall Mart has been a part of for a long time and they have not put anyone out of biss and as for making there competitors better you hit it right on the head.

27. Judi says:

I live near the WalMart on Alpine Ave. It really has nothing going for it. It may seem bigger, but it is not. There aren’t very many items in it, just a little bit of different things. I know many people that won’t even set foot into it. I don’t like the way they treat the employees with their pay, etc.

28. Zeelander says:

When Wal-Mart came into Michigan it did not take long for them to over take K-mart and push them to filing chapter 11…it was kind of funny how Wal-Mart played K-mart across the State…. they would come into a town and talk about putting in a store, look at some property and talk some more about it…K-mart would produce plans for expansion of their store in that town, Wal-mart would come back in and talk some more…. K-mart would bring their plans to the planning commission for approval and then bid out the expansion….Wal-Mart would then back and look harder and K-mart would build or Wal-Mart would say they aren’t interested anymore so K-mart wouldn’t build..Wal-Mart made K-mart spent millions in plans and property without even building a thing….and K-Mart had no clue where Wal-mart was going to build.

When they knew they could really do well in an area they would build their own place on their own property, but for the most part they leased stores from developers with 5 to 10 year options…if the area was good they would opt out of the lease and build their own store, you can see many of these old store laying around towns like Gaylord.

One major concern is when will the next store be targeted and pushed aside??? Being big brings up other issues, they could easly target Meijer and push them out….that’s probably why Meijers is expanding rapidly across the Midwest.

It should also be noted that Wal-Mart does support local charities…they just don’t advertise it themselves.

29. Anne Schieber says:

Response to Chris:

Your points are well taken. I should point out WalMart is not breaking any law Yes, we know they’ve been brought to court many times regarding unfair labor practices, and those issues have and are being resolved. That’s why we have laws and this issues are being dealt with accordingly. There are anti-trust laws if WalMart gets completely out of control but so far, no one’s even suggesting that.

WalMart serves a customer base that is huge. People shop there because they get the best price. Not everyone wants to shop at WalMart and so there are other retailers to suit those needs. Anyone who shops at Whole Foods could care less about how much they’d save on lettuce at WalMart.

There is no way WalMart can outsource its U.S. store labor. It is a company that employs thousands. No one is forcing anyone to take those jobs.
    They are there willingly and if they don’t like the job, they are free to take another one.

Like I said, consumers have a love hate relationship with WalMart. If you own the company stock, you probably have a more love relationship. Steady dividends

1. Mike R says:

They are being forced into those jobs more and more due to the fact that the good jobs they had are gone. The large companies are nothing but trying to destroy small town america. Its just sad that someone in this economy would not consider supporting a company that the money stays in Michigan. It tells you how out of touch people really are.