T-Showers along the Indiana border

July 27th, 2009 at 3:57 pm by under Bill's Blog, Inside WOOD TV8, Uncategorized, Weather

Local  An area of scattered showers and t-storms continues  from the southern suburbs of Chicago to near South Bend to Coldwater.  With the front hardly moving, cells are going to “train” along that area (along US 12) and a few locally heavy rainfall totals are likely.  Radar estimates 2″ just south of Berrien Co. in Indiana.  We had a gust to 48 mph in Ann Arbor and a tree was down in Goshen, IN.  If you’re north a line from Benton Harbor to Lansing…nothing is going to happen.  South of that line there will be some scattered showers/t-showers tonight.   Most of our area could use some  rain.    We missed the severe weather again Monday evening.  A wind gust of 54 mph (wake low?) occurred at Waukegan, north of Chicago shortly before midnight our time.   A  tormado  hit Mt. Sterling, Wisconsin (picture included at the link!).  They had 7 counties under tornado warnings around 7:30 PM Monday evening.  There were more than a dozen reports of hail/wind damage with these storms (measured gust to 73 mph at Viola, WI).   Here’s GRR NWS radar, Great Lakes radar, SPC Meso-Discussions, Current Tornado & Severe T-Storm WatchesStorm Total Rainfalllatest surface observations, lightning dataGRR NWS discussion, Visible Satellite loop (daytime), Infrared Satellite Loop (night),    Here’s Milwaukee NWS radar.  Official rainfall for July:  0.07″ Battle Creek Airport, 0.28″ Kalamazoo Airport, 0.86 Muskegon Airport.   The GRR airport has had 2.35″.

74 Responses to “T-Showers along the Indiana border”

1. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

It will be interesting to see if these storms drop south like all other severe events this summer. My guess is they will

2. Let’s hope these don’t curl around the lake.

3. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

Latest satellite loop you can see the low pressure circulation moving due east still the way things have gone this summer i am not getting my hopes up

4. Mandie says:

Man this sucks. I really was looking forward to some good storms this year and some warm weather. I really hope we don’t have a bad winter however it would be awesome if Santa came wearing Bermuda shorts again to Michigan like the one year way back when that it was 80 at Christmas.

1. IVtecDoYou??? says:

It was the christmas of 1983, I was 1 at the time and my parents took me for a stroller ride because it was 75 degrees out!

I don’t think that Al Gore was proclaiming global warming back in that day though.

It was 1982…it was 65 degrees on my thermometer that Christmas Day and I picked a big-as-life yellow dandelion blooming in my front yard.

5. Steven DeJong says:

As I looked at the moon phase last night, the possibility of a hot day today, taking into thought the jet stream and looking at my stink bug on his back not wiggling his legs, (A trick I got from Granny Clampet) my prediction is no rain.

6. Laker says:

They will slide south. I hope I’m wrong.

7. Rob Dale says:

I’m certainly not calling for an outbreak tonight – but anyone looking at current conditions (and model output) and saying we won’t get any rain tonight must be looking at a VERY strange source of data…

1. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

I guess the strange data may win out this time. That just shows you that models are rarely right especially with severe weather events this year.

2. Slim Jim(nw GR) says:

When I checked the rain gage this AM…no rain!

1. Rob Dale says:

Again – I said it wouldn’t be a big wet one. Many locations reported rain:

Not a lot, but certainly not dry.

8. Lynne-Little Whitefish Lake says:

Oh someone will get rain tonite in Michigan, just not us – how can these storms split in the middle and part goes north and part goes south with nothing for northern Kent, panhandle of Montcalm???? Is it aliens or is Charles wearing his foil encrusted helmet again?

9. Christine says:

I think we’ll get rain in Allegan County. We need some rain. Everyone does I think. My fingers are crossed for no severe weather though.

10. Wayne Adams says:

Bill!!! Come on you say 8 hours from it’s raining out right now and I’m not 10 minutes from Grand Rapids. It’s hard to ride a motorcycle on slippery wet roads! You need to up date that equipment or learn how to use it, I would lose my job if I screwed up this much!

Wayne…I’m tracking thunderstorms…not a piddly sprinkle. There’s no measurable rain on the dozens of rain gauges that I can see here on my computer. Pavement is dry here at WOOD…I said the rain would be MAINLY after 11 PM…I didn’t say we couldn’t get a sprinkle/very light shower before then.

1. WOW! IT’S NOT OFTEN BILL COMMENTS ON THE BLOG! WHAT A NICE SITE TO SEE! :D

1. IVtecDoYou??? says:

And that’s what happens when retards post dribble.

Wayne just got pwoned! Woot! Woot!

2. Tara says:

Hang on, give Wayne a break guys! If you have ever rode a motorcycle on wet pavement you would know where he is coming from! So when it comes to listening to a forecast and they say 8 hour and then it starts raining, it means somethings. That pavement is slippery when it is wet!

2. Marti B. (Grandville) says:

YAY Bill, sock it to ‘em!!!! :)

1. O. Roboerts says:

I live by Nunica and we got more then a “piddly sprinkle” just because your parking lot was dry did not mean it wasn’t raining any where else in West MI. I can see you point Wayne that’s how accidents can happen. Sometimes it is minor details we try to look out for, it’s not so much about how much it rains it’s about when it rains.
          Bill, I’m sure you do a good job but the “piddly Sprinkle” could mean a lot at times. Not sure if you ever been on a bike or not but think about it, it’s like your on ice. Just a thought.

You can see Storm Total Rainfall here: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=grr&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6 At 10:30 PM you can see the false echo around the Grand Rapids radar site and the very thin light shower (light blue line) that O. Roberts refers to that crossed Nunica (just north of I-96). Again, on the early news segment that the motorcyclist was referring to, I was tracking a heavier t-storm in Wisconsin. Rainfall totals in Muskegon Co. appear to be a trace to a couple hundredths of an inch. It looks like 90% of my viewing population saw a trace of rain at most this evening. I did on one weather segment track the Lake Michigan showers/sprinkles to the Muskegon/Oceana Co. line. I did not say that you wouldn’t see any raindrops before 11 PM…I did say that the more significant rainfall (heavier showers and or a t-storm) would hold off until after 11 PM or during the day tomorrow. “More significant” is a relative term, I guess. Since the radar showed light showers and big storms, I thought that making that distinction would be a proper way to convey that most of us could continue most outdoor activities this evening.

3. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

Bill No matter what you do there will always be someone that is not happy if you give a forecast of rain and the sun is out they complain and if the forecast is for sun and it rains they cry about it. I think that if you live in Michigan you should know how unpredictable the weather is. It is just unfortunate that they have to throw a tantrum on a blog like a 3 year old..

2. Christine says:

I think there’s always a chance of rain when you’re riding a motorcycle. It’s the same thing as leaving your windows down then being mad the weather guy didn’t tell you it might rain. It’s a chance you take. Maybe take a cell phone with radar, be prepared next time.

1. Ben S says:

I think riding a motorcycle increases the chance of rain, much like washing a car or planning a camping trip. BTW I did sleep in a tent last night and thank goodness the heavy stuff dropped south.

11. I have changed my mind from my 4:19 comment.

12. Trent (Wayland) says:

do u think it will rain on Sunday and cancel the whitecaps game because I am playing the National Anthem and just want to know if you think the game wont even be played at all on Sunday What are your thoughts? Thank You!!

13. weather watcher says:

Thanks Bill..I clicked on the link for Mt. Sterling but got a item not found..I am going to do some searching the internet to find out about it..thanks for the heads up..

1. It was that way for me, too. I just clicked a minute ago and it’s fixed.

14. Brandon (Caledonia) says:

bill… love your work! ;) seems to me that anything that moves into the lake dies before it hit’s the shore. :( i would love a good t-storm tonight. its been along time…

going fishing around 5am. % on precip between 5am~2pm???

3 or 4 tornado warnings for that batch in wisconsin…

15. Looks like NOAA isn’t showing us any love tonight once again. Situation is a bit week over the lake and over much of Michigan too. They are expecting these storms to weaken in southern WI, and the lake is in the mood to disassemble any activity headed this way. We’ll get rain, probably not much more than a few claps of thunder i think.

16. Why isn’t (or wasn’t) there a Tornado Watch?

1. Looking back, the primary threat expected was severe hail/wind, with a chance supercell and a week tornado or two. Not enough for a Tornado watch. The cells are fewer and farther apart than i think they had estimated before issuing the watch. Now if they changed it right now, the tornado threat would dissapear in about an hour anyway with daytime heating out of the picture. And of course they will tell you than a thunderstorm watch/warning doesn’t exclude a tornado to cover their backsides. I call this one a learning experience for the NWS!

1. Bill emailed me back from my blog post and said they should have issued a Tornado Watch.

2. Rob Dale says:

So far only one tornado has been reported, that’s not quite TOR watch material.

17. Jeff (Richland) says:

There will not be any thunderstorms tonight. As usual, I would expect the best chance of rain along the lakeshore. Inland toward Kzoo and GR I expect little to no rain.

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

Score me correct, unfortunately.

18. weather watcher says:

Flipped on the weather channel and heard that tomorrow could be interesting..Dr Greg Forbes thought this may shift toward Michigan..Could tomorrow be our day for severe weather?

19. Christine says:

I saw him say that too. We are not in a slight risk area, not yet at least. Maybe closer to Lansing?

20. Marti B. (Grandville) says:

I hope it at least rains tonight, I need my apartment windows washed, lol! Bird droppings all over them, on the outside and I’m on the top floor where I can’t reach them. The rain usually cleans it off. ;)

21. IVtecDoYou??? says:

The cluster is falling apart, typical……….

22. julie says:

Is it going to be bad tomorrow? I know people traveling from Owosso to Michigan adventure tomorrow

23. Mitch says:

Ha! What a shock! What looked like immanent rain 6 hours ago has completely fallen apart yet again. I want to puke. How much does a cold lake michigan play into the storms/rain falling apart so much this year?

24. Christine says:

We can thank our lucky stars that the lake helps deplete the severe factor now because we will be begging for it to in the fall when the water temps are warmer and storms intensify over the lake. Then we will also get the water spouts. So bring on the cooler lake temps! :)

25. Tyler says:

Hey Bill how much snow is Marquette going to get by the end of the year are you guessing?

26. Marti B. (Grandville) says:

Looks like it is breaking up over the Big Lake. We might get a sprinkle or two.

27. Hey everyone! I don’t expect anything tonight here at my house, maybe some rain tomorrow and a t-storm if I am lucky. I suspect most to be SE of me.

On another note.. I just finished redoing my entire website with lots of new features and a bunch of new photos, you can click my name to go check that all out =)

Hey Bill, nice to see ya in your blog =)

28. Marti B. (Grandville) says:

Grrrrrr it went south just like all the good storms do. :(

29. Ken says:

Hi Bill where have the links gone to other radar Regional & northwest/central?

30. Bob P. :o) (St.Johns) says:

Here ya go SlimJim…LOL

Not only is this July on track to break the record for the coldest July on record at Grand Rapids, but with highest temperature for the month of July so far being 84 degrees, that would also be the new record for the coldest maximum July temperature on record. Currently 85 degrees in 2000 holds the record for the coldest maximum temperature for July.

31. tim eno says:

is it okay to start worrying about drought yet? all these storms missing us etc. my garden is pretty dry. whats the scoop on precip? more or less than avg?

32. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Was in the Munising area for 3 days getting ready for Bear season. Hit lots of thunderstorms 3:30am Sat morning up by the bridge and heading west across the UP. All the trash cans were blown over at the gas station we stopped at. Sat was good weather. Sun was fog-rain and 57°. Yesterday was just perfect.

33. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

Geez… what happened today?

Pretty sure Weather.com and WOODTV both had 70% of rain/storms for today when I woke up this morning… local weatherman over here too. Shouldn’t have cancelled my outdoor plans I guess… =/

Turned out to be one of the best days we’ve had in a long time. Party cloudy and 84 right now.

1. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

Maybe I spoke too early? Big line of storms just popped up on the Indiana/Mich border.

1. I don’t know what the county in Indiana is south of Berrien, MI, but some storms in that county look severe. Hail/Wind. NWS in North Indiana not even issuing Significant Wx Advisory, though!

1. Central St. Joseph County cell just starting to look that way too.

34. BERRIEN MI-CASS MI-LA PORTE IN-ST. JOSEPH IN-
    347 PM EDT TUE JUL 28 2009

AT 244 PM CDT…NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
    LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS IN NORTHERN LAPORTE COUNTY MOVING EAST
    AT 15 MPH.

PENNY SIZE HAIL…WINDS GREATER THAN 40 MPH…CONTINUOUS CLOUD TO
    GROUND LIGHTNING…BRIEF HEAVY DOWNPOURS…ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS
    STORM.

LOCATIONS IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM INCLUDE…
    BUCHANAN…
    NEW CARLISLE…
    HUDSON LAKE…
    GALIEN AND CRUMSTOWN…
    CHAIN-O-LAKES…LYDICK AND DAYTON…

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 90 IN INDIANA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 38 AND
    83.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 94 IN INDIANA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 33 AND
    45.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 94 IN MICHIGAN BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 0 AND 7.

GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE SMALL OBJECTS SUCH AS TRASH BINS TO BLOW
    AROUND. STAY AWAY FROM HIGH OBJECTS OUTDOORS SUCH AS TREES.

SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THIS STORM HAS PASSED.

35. Jeff (Richland) says:

No storms for our area again. This summer has just been horrible!

1. Bill says there’s still a chance south of a line from Benton Harbor to Lansing.

36. Clint says:

Hey Bill… when do u think we’ll get some rain in Grand Rapids?? We’ve seen rain on the forecast… like last Friday night and Saturday… nothing.. then maybe late on monday or into Tuesday (today) .. and nothing… help… my grass needs some good “divine” natural watering… so when do you think we can honestly see rain in GR? (I’m in Gaines Township 68th st/Kalamazoo ave area)

Thanks!

Clint

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

GR has had quite a bit of rain compared to the I-94 corridor. Everything is very BROWN here unless you have a sprinkler system!

37. direfloyd (SE Mich) says:

Severe Thuderstorm Warning for me =)
    The storm is just missing our home but at least it rained a little bit!

38. My Sis is in South Bend this week, I see the storms she gt down there LOL
    I’m happy for her yet jealous at the same time

Beautiful day in Kent City!

39. direfloyd (SE Mich) says:

Constant thunder just to the south… that would have been fun!

40. IVtecDoYou??? says:

Hmmmmm……once again we get shafted!

41. Received some gusty winds (35 mph) from outflow from the storms just to our south around 5:30 PM. A brief heavy shower lasting only about 3 minutes. Hazy sunshine at the moment.

42. Marshall (Eaton Rapids) says:

Courious if we’re going to get anything over here? Looks like storms are popping up all over to the south and east of me.

1. Rob Dale says:

You’ll get wet.

43. IVtecDoYou??? says:

Got a new line popping up around t Isn’t he Chicago area!

Isn’t going to do us any good though

44. Tyler says:

Alot of rain here the past week but only 1.93 inch for the month in Escanaba. We used to get alot of storms back in the 90′s it seems but this decade really nothing except for one a year.

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

ONLY 1.93 inches for you this month??? That’s a heck of a lot better than about 1/2″ total this month in Kalamazoo!