All-Time Record Snow! – Snow in Florida!

February 12th, 2010 at 3:15 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Dallas Snowman<–Alyssa Mendariz’s snowman near Dallas, Texas.  WOW! 4 PM – snowing and 1/4″ on the grass at De Funiak Springs FL – snowing at Crestview Fl – sleet at Biloxi MS and Mary Esther Fl, heavy rain wind NW 30 G 39 and 48 degrees at Tampa.  Biggest snowfall ever in Dallas -11.2″ fell on 2/11 smashing the old record of 7.8″ from back in 1917 and 1964.  The 24-hour snowfall at Dallas was 12.5″14.4″ at Haslet.  The snow caused the roof of a tire warehouse and the roof of an auto sales dealership to cave in…the latter starting a fire.  There were at least 6 collapsed carports and garages.  It’s the snowiest winter ever at Wichita Falls, Tx.  206,000 were without power in north Texas Friday AM, many tree limbs down, American Airlines/American Eagle  canceled over 1,000 flights (305 at DFW alone), numerous accidents.  Snow spread across much of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.  Snowiest winter in Dallas since 1977-78.  It snowed across much of north Texas,  (pictures here).  Other random thoughts:  A brighter day this Friday with breaks in the clouds (see Michigan satellite loop – daytime).   No significant snow here, just a few occasional flurries.  Temperatures upper 20s to low 30s for the next few days.  Season snowfall:  Grand Rapids 57.4″ (95.3″ last year to this point – GRR is about the only place (slightly) ahead of normal snowfall), Muskegon 54.3″, Lansing 30.5″, S. Haven 79.4″ (they got dumped on in early January), Hart 54.4″, Hastings 49.8, Hesperia 43.5″, Grand Haven 56.7″.  Compare that to Philadelphia 71.6″ (all-time record), and Washington D.C. (Dulles) 75.0″ (all-time record) where they had 26″ of snow on the ground at midnight!!   67.1% of the Lower 48 States has a snow cover this morning (over 2/3rds!).  BTW – there’s a story up today about snow in all 50 states.  It is now snowing at Crestview and Duke Field in NW Florida and there’s snow on the high peaks of the island of Hawaii.

35 Responses to “All-Time Record Snow! – Snow in Florida!”

1. Have you seen the rocket pierce and put out the “sun dog” from the solar observatory launch today? Amazing! http://bit.ly/c5hnj7

2. Eric says:

hey bill! after this southern storm goes through, it might be possible that all 48 lower states will have at least some snow cover!

i don’t know if hawaii has any snow on top of the mountains (can’t tell from visible sat b/c of clouds) but if they did, we could have snow in all 50 states at the same time! something you may want to look into.

1. Dale says:

Yes, Hawaii does have snow on the big island on the top of the mountain.

2. Tyce says:

It looks like that is a good possibility for all 50 states. There is an OU student trying to collect pictures of it.

1. Eric says:

the weather channel is reporting 49 states have snow. they specifically said hawaii has no snow on the mountains. i don’t know what to believe now!

3. That video is brilliant! A solar physics satellite breaking the sound barrier as it passes through high cirrus. The shock waves re-allign the ice crystals to disrupt a sun dog. Poetic!

4. Ryan says:

I’m amazed at the season snow totals in DC and Philadelphia; not sure if I’m more amazed with the season totals or the totals from the last two storms. I think I saw that Baltimore has an average snowfall of 18″ per year, and they already had 55 or 65 (can’t remember) inches as of a few days ago. Truly remarkable.

5. Check out this volcanic eruption on the island of Montserat in Antilles. This is the visible satellite image you can watch the ash cloud erupt!

1. slimjim (NW GR) says:

hey Charles when did that happen?

1. Rob Dale says:

Time stamp at the bottom says “FEB 11 10″ which is February 11, 2010.

1. slimjim (NW GR) says:

I have not seen anything on the news reports on thay yet.

2. slimjim (NW GR) says:

Duh if I would have looked I would have seen that (time stamp)
          maybe things are starting to get a little active in the Caribbean?

2. Judy (Fennville) says:

Hey Charles….I couldn’t tell where the eruption was taking place from the video. It looked like normal clouds coming in from the north. Isn’t the volcano supposed to be on one of the islands in the outer curve? Or was it the largest island at the top of the video?

6. Wow! Lots of excellent links today!! Thanks for sharing!

7. Matt says:

That is awesome, it looks like there was another eruption to the south….

8. Larry of Hastings/Barry Co. says:

Bill, once again your team did a wonderful job during this last big snow storm.

9. slimjim (NW GR) says:

Even though we have not had as much snow as the past few years, we still have had a snow cover almost ever day since December 4 (except for a couple days in late January) and it has not been all that cold and we still have not gotten below zero and if we do not get below zero in the next two weeks we should make it thru this winter without reaching it.
    And while this winter more likely then not will go down as ho hum (we still have a good 4 weeks or more) and unless we get a “major” storm (snow or ice) most of us will soon forget this winter. The same can not be said for Washington, Philly and Baltimore they will remember this winter for a long time.

1. Tyler says:

I notice when the midwest warms up Most of Lower Michigan except for the northern part get really warm like in the 50′s and possibly in the low 60′s. Milwaukee and Chicago share with you guys sometimes too but anything north of Milwaukee on the Wisconsin side is alot cooler and Minnesota never gets that warm in the winter. You notice this too Bill?

10. I’m not a fan of cold weather, but every year I hear someone say, “We need a good, long sub-zero cold spell to kill off the mosquito population for the summer.” So now I’m wondering if this will be a buggy summer. Depends on rainfall, too, I suppose, but just temperature-wise I wonder.

1. Brad says:

Alan, a sub-zero cold spell is highly unlikely to dent mosquito populations. Mosquitoes are distributed well into the arctic, where their populations survive extreme cold events. More important are cold spells during the “flight” season that kill the adults, and dry spells.

2. Dave (Hastings) says:

I’ll just note that the further north you go, the “hungrier” and more aggressive mosquitos appear to be. Strictly observationally, but I’d say that they LIKE having cold winters. Puts hair on their little chests.

Ever hear of the Royal Canadian Air Force? Half their fleet is Mosquitos. The other half are the Black Flies. The only good thing about black flies is that they sleep at night, because they’d chew right through your sleeping bag to get you if they were awake….and sleeping bags are expensive to replace.

1. Dave (Hastings) says:

An interesting historical side note about northern mosquitos is from World War I. Canada operated a POW camp on the north shore of Lake Superior. There were two successful escape operations. The first occurred in the winter, and it didn’t take long for the Germans to come back to the camp for shelter/refuge from the cold.

The second occurred in late June. It took 3 days for ALL of the escapees to turn themselves in, welts and all, for shelter from the insects.

And no, I’m not kidding.

(But the fishing is great!)

11. Christine(Allegan St. Game Area) says:

Hey Bill, my friend is flying in from NYC to visit and do some winter sports with us. How does the extended forecast look till about the first week in March? We are hopeing for lots of snow (or at least what’s on the ground stays) and cold temps for ice skating.

12. Jill C. says:

Oh yeah. We had fun today! My husband and I built a snowman (about five feet tall) and he had no grass or leaves on him! (If you’ve ever made a snowman in Texas you’ll know what I’m talking about. ;) We had a snowball fight — good, wet, packing snow. And drove to the state park near our house where we got some fantastic photos and off-trail were almost to our shins in snow. I’ve lived here for almost 30 years and this is the most we’ve ever had at one time in Dallas County. (Still nothing compared to what you guys get up there, but we’re excited about it.) Alas, it will probably be all melted by Saturday. Texas snow: easy come, easy go!

(This evening my husband measured the snow that has accumulated on our patio table and it’s almost a foot high!)

13. Goofy 44 says:

Bill, whats the forecast for spring looking like at this point?

14. Cin says:

It seems like this year is the year for snow in places that don’t usually get it, and not much snow in places that usually get it. Like no snow at the winter olympics and the article on the front page of woodtv.com about no snow in New England and upstate New York, and how they have had to cancel all their winter festivities. Everything is going south this year. I guess we can blame El Nino? Oh yeah, and based on the picture in that article, I don’t think I would call that a “snow cover”!

15. Randy M (Comstock Park) says:

I can’t see any snow in any Hawaii cams (samples: http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/index.cgi?mode=multi ), so maybe if there’s going to be snow in all 50 states there has to be a hidden drift somewhere; the near future doesn’t look good for Hawaii snow, either:

16. A couple of oddities to note. This morning I heard bird calls in the neighborhood that I usually don’t hear until closer to spring. (No, not my neighbors practicing for bird watching.) In addition, this afternoon a swarm of birds that I don’t see except during the spring and fall migration periods inundated our pear tree. Kind of strange is all I’m saying…

1. timeno(sw holland) says:

what kind of birds?

17. Marcie says:

Craig James and I are here on the Big Island of Hawaii right now, Feb 12. We flew in around Mauna Loa (13,679 ft). No snow. Couldn’t see Mauna kea, but our guide said “No snow.” They are in a very dry period, praying for rain, and would love snow. You can take it the 50th state is snow-free!

18. Ryan says:

My sister-in-law’s brother lives in Augusta, GA, and he said they already have 5 inches of snow. Looks like they probably have another inch or so coming based on the radar. That Dallas total is amazing, considering that they predicted far less than that. Anybody remember the foot of snow in South Texas around Christmas about 3-5 years ago, even though they didn’t predict anything? I LOVE crazy winter weather like this, even when it’s nowhere near where I live!

19. Tyler says:

This winter reminds me so much of 1995-1996 its unreal. The only difference is that year we had about 90 inches of snow in Escanaba for the winter. That was D.C. Baltimore and Philly’s snowiest year on record before this winter. Indiana and Ohio had lots of snow that year like this winter. It snowed in Dallas that year and got down to 8 above zero in early February. It snowed in Hawaii that year too.

1. Rob Dale says:

Not DC’s snowiest – that was 1899. And Hawaii doesn’t have snow, and Dallas hasn’t been close to a temp of 8. Other than that – I agree they are nearly identical.

20. CE Webster says:

This storm ranks up there with the top 3 all-time snow falls in PA. We could break them all if the winter continues! But–Please–Think spring!