Tornado near Cadillac

July 19th, 2010 at 8:00 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

<–wall cloud (note the lowering of the cloud base) and possible tornado looking south across Lake Mitchell (picture one).  In the second picture, it’s hard to tell because the house is obscuring the base of the cloud and you can’t see rotation on a still image (however, if I’m the photographer of picture 2 – I’m not hanging around to find out).  Thunderstorms Sunday evening produced one tornado just south of Cadillac and wind damage on the north side of Houghton Lake.  Winds there were estimated at 65 mph and one injury occurred due to a falling tree.  The pictures are from the National Weather Service at Gaylord (some pictures were from TV9 & 10 in Cadillac).  The NWS does a fine of job of doing the damage surveys and getting prompt summaries on their websites (often with pictures and radar images).  This is a lot of extra work and I appreciate their efforts.

11 Responses to “Tornado near Cadillac”

1. kich says:

Wow pic #2 is very impressive. I am with you would not be hanging around either. But I am sure some of our friends on the blog would. LOL

2. Skot(NE GR) says:

Never seen a Twister in my life. I ve always been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Back in 2000 maybe I went through alpine 10 minutes before it went through York Creek and we had to hit the basement at LEAR. Bummer.

3. amy says:

great pics! now bill being your a meteorologist i figured youd LOVE to see a tornado in action! however id be running too! that thing looks monsterous!!

so whats up with MI we keep seeing tornados every time theres a thunderstorm…or so it seems… isnt this unusual weather for MI?

4. Bob Hartig says:

Nice pics, particularly for Michigan. I’m jealous! The first one is particularly interesting as it hints at possible multiple vorticity. In the center, I see a tiny speck that *could* be a piece of debris.

A number of chasers were active yesterday in southwest Michigan. My buddy and I witnessed an impressive wall cloud several miles west of our location near West Gilkey Lake, east of Plainwell. We couldn’t confirm rotation at that distance, but the rapidly changing shape of the lowering and the hint of an inflow band at that point were telltale. Didn’t last long, though, and the entire storm fizzled and died pretty rapidly afterward.

5. Mike (Mattawan) says:

I think pic #1 is very cool. Pic #2 as well… but for some reason… im very fascinated with pic #1

6. slim jim (NW GR) says:

This is a copy of an earler post but it still fits in here. As the only tornado I have ever seen was in the Cadillac area.
    Not sure the year (it was in the early 1960’s) we (my mom, dad and me) were camping at the state park, when someone said you could see a tornado across the lake Mitchell and we all stood at the shore of the lake and watched the tornado across the lake. It was the only time that I have seen a tornado in my life time. It touched down at the fairgrounds so if anyone remembers the “fairgrounds” tornado that was it.

July 31, 1963 F2 tornado – Wexford Co. It’s listed as 5:40 PM and it says there was damage in 3 counties…I’ll assume it strted in N. Lake Co. and went to W Missaukee Co. It does not list any deaths or serious injuries. While the maximum rating was F2, some or even much of the path could have been F0 to F1 – I don’t know.

1. Mike Geukes says:

07-31-1963: 1840 EST: Deaths 00: Injuries 00: F-2: Wexford, Missaukee, Osceola

2. NFrier says:

My dad was at the fairgrounds when it touched down, It went right down main street!
      And for picture number #2 it was a tornado that touched down. It touched down at M-115 & US131 intersection at the north east corner of Elderado golf course. Took a buildings steel roof off and that’s about it, it was only 2 miles south from my parents house!

7. Tyler says:

I remember the tornado that hit Gladstone oh gosh maybe in the early 90′s. I remember driving around the next day in Gladstone looking at the damage. That really hit Gladstone hard.

In 1979, I watched the tornado that sort of wandered from W to E along 44th St. We lived on 76th St near Hanna Lake, so I had a clear and safe (!) view of it until it roped out and disappeared.

Also watched one while we were driving along I-80 near I-76 (Colorado/Nebraska border). It was a nice-looking funnel cloud that disappeared after about 5 minutes – then must have reformed, because there was significant tornado damage done a little farther “downstream” at Kearney. We were in a motorhome – NOT the sort of vehicle one wants to chase a tornado in :-(