Wednesday PM

February 29th, 2012 at 3:12 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   9:45  PM – A mix of rain and snow across the area.  We’ve got a dusting on the grass at WOOD.  It seems to be melting on the pavement.  Late this PM, we had a gust to 54 mph at Battle Creek (not a t-storm), and 47 mph at Kalamazoo.   At 5 PM – wind was west at 22 mph, gust to 37 mph at Tulip City Airport in Holland and NE at 5 mph in Hudsonville!!   At 5 PM – 44 degrees, cloudy and east wind at 7 mph in G.R. – sunny and 61 in Coldwater, 62 in downtown Kalamazoo.  What a difference!   Three Rivers and Sturgis made 64, Indianapolis is 70…while it was still mid 30s in B. Rapids and Mt. Pleasant.   The warm air in our southern counties won’t last long, it’s back to 42 in Milwaukee and 36 in Madison with a stiff west wind.  Here’s a summary of snowfall from this system (to the north of G.R.).  Check out the surface map.     Tornado Watches cover most of Tennessee and Kentucky up into Ohio.  Look at Storm Reports.  Tornadoes along the Ohio River.  Severe storms moving up into Ohio.  Twelve dead and a hundred injured in yesterday’s tornadoes.  Lake City, up near Cadillac reports 6″ of new snow and 19″ of snow on the ground.  I look at that and go – I missed the season snowfall this winter, but not by much.  The AVERAGE snow depth this month of February at the Houghton Lake airport has been 18.2“.  We’ve had above normal precipitation in G.R. this winter…it’s just that we’ve had more rain and less snow.   Leelanau Co. reports 6″ of new snow, 4.5″ as close as Osceola Co (Dighton).   Mancelona has 4″ of new snow and 17″ on the ground. You can often tell where the slick roads are by looking at school closings.   Up to a foot of snow has fallen in the U.P.  We had several power outages this morning, but the biggest one in Grandville/Wyoming was NOT weather related, I’m told.  There’s a risk of severe t-storms today over E. Indiana and much of Ohio, and a moderate risk for severe storms and tornadoes over Tennessee (word to my mother and sister in Oak Ridge – watch out this evening).    Grand Rapids NWS discussion is pretty good.  Here’s lightning data (click on the lightning tab).  Here’s links to the current conditions, regional radar, the forecast snowfall off the NAM model (out to 84-hours) and the GFS model (out to 120-hours), the HPC snow forecast, and a surface map. Here’s the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s closings, the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station.

The record high for today is 54 (1/4th as many Feb. 29ths as other days).  This is called “Leap Day” in a “Leap Year”.  It’s called Leap Year because your birthday leaps over a day.  If you’re birthday is on a Monday, the next year it will be on a Tuesday…but if it is a Leap Year, your birthday leaps over Tuesday to Wednesday.  AND – check out the snow they’ve had in Valdez, Alaska (26″ new…all-time February snow depth record of 97″ (that’s over 8 feet high – and that’s not counting the drifts!).   All-time February record high temperatures were set in a few locations in Sweden and Denmark, with Kristiansand/Kjevik reached a high of 61F.  Here’s a few pictures of tornado damage in Branson, MO.   Finally, something fun.

173 Responses to “Wednesday PM”

1. Jim S. (Saugatuck Twp) says:

60 in South Haven…..I’m heading out.

1. Kevin S (Saugatuck) says:

My cars temp gauge went to 60 briefly just west of Fennville on M89..

2. LM (GH twp) says:

Very sunny 48 GH!

1. LM (GH twp) says:

Now 50!!!!!!!

3. Mr. Negative says:

“Sunny wedge”..that’s a new one ;)

1. DanielG says:

I had a MOON wedge once.

Hey DA this is a blogg how old are u and Travis u guys act like 5th graders!

4. Kevin(Rockford) says:

39 and cloudy

5. Deb (Ludington) says:

My brother that lives down in Fort Wayne just called and said it is 72 there OMG that is very warm!

6. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Sheesh the temp difference around the state! Still stuck at 37.4 with fog all the way from 14mile and Myers Lake down to 17mile Rd. Hmmm, I wonder what that would be in Longitude and latitude. ;-) I’ll have to go to that website and read up on how to convert it.

I hope it gets up to you soon – it’s WONDERFUL!! 55 here now – I just shoveled some snow/ice mounds remaining between the cars, out into the driveway where the sun/warmth will get rid of it really fast!!

7. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

I’m glad i did’nt jump on the hay wagon for freezing rain. I heard it crashed on wet pavement. LOL. I did get some ice here and lost power this morning. I see the news crew got a pic of an icy tree this morn south of my area. I even passed them on the road. It is so warm just south of here now, and i am still stuck at 38.8° and fog. Thunderstorms this Friday. Spring hits next week. Soon it will be baseball season and bonfires everyday. Play Ball!!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

OH I can’t wait for Thunderstorms and Bon Fires and roasting hot dogs over it and smore’s :-)

1. SS (Pwell Area) says:

We did a bonfire earlier this month!!! Yummy hotdogs and s’mores.

8. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Cort thank you for the Lat/Long. Converstion link, I think I got it now, I wrote down my address on Google Earth, took my mouse right over my house, and wrote the numbers down and converted it, so now I wrote it down so when I call something in from my house I can tell them Lat/Long in decimals. It changes a bit at 17mile/Myers Lake. But I got the idea.

1. Cort S. (Plymouth, NH) says:

Excellent, glad it worked out for you. Since the NWS can only submit storm reports to the national database with two decimal digits, your lat/lon might not be as accurate as you would like it to be due to rounding error. I think 0.01 degrees of latitude is equal to 0.7 miles. So your report might not be placed right in the middle of the YARDofDUCKS, but close enough. But if your storm report is ever severe enough that (God forbid) the NWS needs to know your address to come out and investigate, they can always call you (or more likely get an approximate damage path from Law Enforcement). So everything’s gonna be just fine, lol! By the way, who’s gonna get 6-10 inches of snow over the next 24 hours??? <—–THIS GUY. Winter Storm Warning here!!

Get outside breath in the warm air have a love fair the cold and snow is across the lk and coming to West Michigan!! INDYYY

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

There is no warm air up here Indy, well I guess it’s warmer then it was this morning but still only 38.3 with fog and gloomy!

62° in Kalamazoo!

I am worried the fog is going to last over here… oh well.

11. Vicki says:

I just got back from a walk. I live southwest Holland, just a block from Lake Mac. Anyway I counted 15 bald eagles! There was even a couple immature ones with the brown heads. What a great walk!

40* out at the YARDofBRICKS temps are falling still winter!! INDYY

13. Mike {kalamazoo county] says:

57 even after a warm winter seems almost hot out

14. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Where is this wedge of sun you speak of? 39° here and 1/4 mile or less vis in the fog.

1. Sunny wedge is being overtaken by clouds now, with some rain showers mixing in.

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

That sucks Charles. I want my sunny wedge too.LOL How you been buddy? Long time since the open house at the NWS when i seen you last. At least you are now living closer to my neck of the foggy woods.

1. “I’ve been up, I’ve been down” – referencing the ZZ Top lyric there. I now live in Greenville. I like it here. It has indeed been a while since the open house in 2010. Foggy here too, showers increasing in coverage as well. How have you been man?

2. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

I have been good Charles. We will have to hook up and make plans for a storm chase in the area on a weekend. I’ll drive and you do your thing and tell me where to go. I have plenty of plug in’s in the truck for all of the electronics.

Yeah, those following clouds are moving faster then the fog is burning off.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

It sucks BIG time all the SW counties are being selfish with the sun and warmth.

2. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

There are clouds? Can’t see them thru all of the fog. I had errands to run today and the kids let my wood stove go out. It was only 61° in here awhile ago. If i can’t get any sunny wedges,at least send some heat this way.

Got to look from above =)

Cool satellite with this low.

15. RJ (Rockford) says:

Bring on the SNOW and COLD! Guess what people WINTER is not over! Don’t get used to 50 and 60 degree temperatures. We will be getting more accumulating snow and maybe a big storm before WINTER is officially over!

1. Stephen says:

Winter is done RJ just stop

1. RJ (Rockford) says:

COLD, SNOW and MORE COLD and SNOW on the way!!!!!!!!

1. Paul says:

RJ Winter is done and over.

Rj your right we will wake up to a ground full of snow tomorrow it’s coming!! INDYY

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

I only need a little bit more snow to hit my guess of 58″ for the season.

1. PINKYY says:

U WILL GET IT!! VINCENT U READY FOR BASEBALL?? INDYY

Verry Close Vinc U should top that!!! INDYY

Had some sun earlier and the temp was up to 47° for a while, clouds are have now retaken over and its now down to 45° so while the sun wedge got this far north we could not get the +60° temps here so will have to wait for that first 60+ day here for a while.
    As for the issuance of a WSW and then the winter weather advisory I will just say at this time NO COMMENT. I think the case can be made either way and I think there is a chance there will be a large number of weather watches and warnings this coming spring/summer season. Just remember that watches are issued when conditions are favourable. But warnings are to be issued when severe conditions are either in progress.

If the weather continues to do this crazy see-saw stuff like today – I can see where Spring is going to keep the Severe-weather-lovers busy??

Re: the WSW and WWA – that was a heckuva storm for a LOT of people. I feel fortunate to have missed its wrath. I’d rather be over-warned and feeling lucky afterwards, than caught by surprise.

18. eeeeeee(NE-GR) says:

MAPS GETTING CRAZY YAAAAAA

eeeeeee u have no missed a lot sure great to read your post!! welcome back!! INDY..

38* out at the YARDofBRICKS going to get cold tonight!! INDYY

1. Nathan (GR) says:

It’s sooooo nice out!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

BLAH!! Quit rubbing it in about how nice it is, because it’s LOUSY up here, dreary, foggy, cold, wet, not nice at all!

21. PINKYY says:

BRING ON BIG SNOWSTORMS THUNDERSTORMS AND WORMS FOR FISHING!! PINKYY..

22. Travis east of portage says:

i have a temp of 65 deg with a wind gust up to 20 mph right now. i wish the warm weather will last

23. kevin. w says:

Update bright red map for ya’all…http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/ Big southeast ridge is going to blow up starting Tuesday next week and this could be the year the midwest may get hit with powerful severe thunderstorms and tornadic activity. I think with Easter early this year I think it will be a ripe year for bad weather. I come up the day before good friday so hope it doesn’t look like bad weather then. Its been a hot day today about 82 now and looks to go into the mid 80s the next 4 days here in Orlando. Saw one lady on the beach today and think she’ll be in the ER with some severe sunburn, she was real bad probably goin to blister and be in alot of pain. Headin’ south to the keys for a week then back to Orlando. Always wanted to go to the keys hope you guys didn’t get that bad icestorm up there. Take care.

Yeah – I just had a friend call to say he was walking on the beach at Bradenton and it was 85 degrees. Naturally. When WE were in FL, it was cold and nasty….LOL!!

Kevin going to be a great year for severe weather!! INDYY

25. kevin. w says:

Were there any reports in lower michigan of bad icing.

26. Cort S. (Plymouth, NH) says:

Cool. 12 years ago it was also really warm.

2/29/2000
    Leap Day record highs include the 63 degrees at Muskegon, 60 at Lansing and 58 at Grand Rapids.

2/29/2008
    A Leap Day snowstorm drops 4 inches of snow at Grand Rapids, bringing the monthly total to 41.6 inches, the snowiest February on record.

27. Jim S. (Saugatuck Twp) says:

We hit 60.2 at about 3:30…down to 46 now.

28. Vincent, your above offer sounds awesome! We’ll see how this year shakes out storm wise. I feel it could be a good one.

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Sounds good Charles. We will get it figured out. I am thinking it will be a nasty stormy spring this year!

1. Sweet. You can contact me directly here http://stormedia.info/contact Looking forward to what this year brings. All info is kept private, and will not be shared with anyone.

29. eeeeeee(NE-GR) says:

CHICKEN FOR DINNER , STUFF IS IMPLOADING WEST OF US CRAZY !!!

30. Jeff (SE Ionia County) says:

Thunder storm just popped up here in Portland.. Moderate rain falling at the moment ..

ROCK-ROLL JEFF!!! INDYY

31. Hastings says:

Still only 44.5F in Hastings, only went up to 45 so far.. Sun was out for 15 minutes earlier before ran came again.

Bill getting some lightning out at the YARDofBRICKS!!!! INDYY

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

*SIGH* get to sit here AGAIN and be a spectator :-(

33. bnoppe(Albion) says:

ahh thunder just a sign that spring is here and winter is going to be soon a distant memory

ohhh low presure is right over Grand Rapids!!! INDYY

1. Paul says:

OHHH Winter is done it over….

35. ~Sherry~ (Comstock Park) says:

How is it looking when I get off work around 11pm. Any snow flying at that time?

36. Terrible nasty in Rockford Ill. right now snowing and blowing. Snow feels like ice pellets hitting my face. Hard to believe it was 64* earlier today cant wait to finish the trip to Minneapolis!

37. bnoppe(Albion) says:

60 next week cannot wait

38. Ryan (Plainfield Twp.) says:

What a 24 hours of weather in West Michigan! I got home last night around midnite and the temperature was stuck at 35.4 degrees…I thought there was no way it would drop to freezing or below. Wake up at 6AM to check the temp, and it was surprisingly 31.8 degrees after a low of 31.6. Rain coming down hard, but nothing that I could see had any ice on it. We wound up maxing out at 41.7 degrees, got some heavy rain between 7 and 8PM, and for the last half hour it has been a moderate, steady wet snow coming down. The cars are quickly becoming covered, as well as unlit grassy surfaces. To think that Kalamazoo was in the 60′s while we barely scraped 40 just north of town and now have snow is crazy and a sign of the up-and-down pattern of early spring.

39. Brad (Lawrence) says:

Both of my trucks showed 63 degrees for a few hours this afternoon. Lots of people out for an afternoon walk. It was great. Can’t wait for it to be here to stay!