Flooding/Severe Weather in Hawaii

March 6th, 2012 at 12:37 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Click image (from KHNL) to enlarge.  More pictures here.  A rare Severe Thunderstorm Watch was issued for parts of Hawaii.  Here’s Hawaii Radar.  Heavy rains have caused considerable flooding.  Just look through these picturesSchools were closedRoads were closed.  Look at the washout hereLandslides closed several roads.  At least a dozen families were evaculated on Kauai.  A couple of dogs were rescued from the flood.  There was a Brown Water Advisory for the island of Oahu (that doesn’t sound good), and there was a significant sewage spill at Kaneohe.  The Flood Advisory has been extended for Maui.  The clean-up continues on OahuLook at some of these rainfall totals!  Hanalei (wasn’t that were Puff the Magic Dragon lived?) had 15.02″ in 24-hours, Wainiha had 14.67″ in 24-hours!  Lihue had 6.16″ of rain with heavy rain continuing and Honolulu was soaked with 1.98″.  There were 3-day rainfall totals up to 27″!! Waterspouts were spotted off KahuluiGale Warnings remain in effect with waves up to 20 feetSnow blanketed the highest peaks on the island of Hawaii again.  Here’s current conditions in Hawaii.

17 Responses to “Flooding/Severe Weather in Hawaii”

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Wow. As of 3am here, the worst of the t-storms are still heading their way.
    No one likes flooding, but judging from their climate 99.9% of the time, I’m sure they can handle this.

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

and good call on the Peter Paul & Mary tune, Bill! Even ‘I’ wouldn’t have put that together (and I’m a musician).

Well, and since all the islands are volcanic – they at least have good storm water runoff?? Granted – all the crud washes into the ocean (not good) but how can you stop it??

3. Mert says:

I was in the ocean yesterday afternoon on the leeward side of the Big Island. Surf was rather calm. Thunderheads, big ones as we looked toward the mountains. A brief rain coming down hard about 2 miles inland and beyond. The desert there could use the moisture. Fire danger extreme. The brown water is clean sand/dirt. You could probably eat it. I wasn’t there this morn to check Mauna Kea. My feet landed in GR this afternoon. Wow! What a great weather day window in which to fly across the nation! I think it was warmer in West Michigan this afternoon than it was in Hawaii last night!

2. LeAnn says:

One thing about sounds like they have it more under control then MICHIGAN and you notice they never mentioned a thing about the cost of the repair as if it was MICHIGAN they would be broad casting that. Let’s pray that the rain let’s up. Kauai is so beautiful I would give anything to go back there and spend a month there.

Heat is off today!! INDYY

4. Yup (Grandville) says:

Brown Water…… yuck….. There was a guy surfing in that crap!

Scared of a little dirt? =)

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Yeah…. “Dirt”….

You’ve lived by the Grand River too long =)

2. Yup (Grandville) says:

TouchE!

I’ve been there a couple times and I can’t tell you how many landslides I drove by. They seem to just push the dirt off the road and it is back open.

6. Pat P (Harbor Springs) says:

Bill, I took a couple of pretty good pics of what it looked like up here after the storm but I have no idea how to get them to you. I know your busy and I’m probably just not to bright but if you could take a min and let me know i’d appreciate it, thanks

1. SS (Pwell Area) says:

You could just email him the pix or post them to the report it.

If all fails, put the pics in a envelope put a stamp (or so) on the envelope and mail it.

52° here now and lots of sun.

8. Ginny says:

I see there is no snow in the current 8 day forecast – will we see anymore white stuff this year?