Space Station Flyovers

April 12th, 2012 at 2:18 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

International Space Station There’s a few decent flyovers of the International Space Station in the next few days. The one this this evening is at 9:01 PM. Look to the SW. The Station will just appear 10 degrees above the horizon and it’ll move nearly overhead, disappearing about 6 minutes later to the NE. Check out the schedule at flyovers of the Intl. Space here in West Michigan. Here’s a link to a map that shows where the space station is right now (takes a little while to open the page). Here’s another tracking map with the position of the sun. The Space Station circles the globe about every 93 minutes. It’s about the size of a football field and flies about 220 miles above the ground, about the distance between Grand Rapids and Indianapolis. Check out the list of Space Station Flyovers for West Michigan. Check out www.spaceweather.com for details on auroras, the number of sunspots, asteroid approaches and more. They have a picture and details of a fireball that occurred on Jupiter – video of that here. Sky and Telescope’s Sky at a Glance will show you the current position of the moon and planets. Venus continues to shine brightly to the west during the evening.  Late tonight we’ll have a last quarter moon to the SE.  You can also get the latest on West Michigan astronomical events from the Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Assn. Thanks to Steve Schrier for finding these very cool high res. pics. of Planet Earth.

9 Responses to “Space Station Flyovers”

1. Melinda says:

Thanks Bill for these links on the ISS – I still get a thrill stepping out my door and “waving” to the crew. And the tracking link is amazing – keep up the good work.
    Melinda

2. Skot says:

Just saw again for the first time. Silently flowing through the night sky like a leaf on a stream.

3. john says:

Thanks Bill! that was awesome, never have seen it always too cloudy etc. That made my night.

4. BJ says:

I often go outside to see the ISS. When I read your post I went out tonight. It is a beautiful and quiet night. Just me and a rabbit that happened to be in the backyard. Saw the ISS (it was a nice flyover) and Venus shining very bright.

5. RJT says:

Thanks for the tip.. saw on the 6pm weather about the fly over.. Wife and I watched it come and go… Very cool in the night sky!! Thanks Bill!

6. Jan says:

I just happened to go outside to take the dog out at around 9:02 and looked up and noticed the ISS. I didn’t even know to expect it this evening. Nice surprise!

7. Bill W says:

Was out fishing last night and saw both flyovers. First one was very bright just after sunset.

8. Lyle Z says:

I bring my grandkids out whenever I can for the ISS. We’ll see about the weather tonight though. Loved the view of Jupiter, Venus and moon lately. Got to see 5 moons of Jupiter and the Great Storm with the kids in the backyard. The active sunspots were cool too (projected onto white screen).

9. Bob J. says:

I echo everyones thanks, Bill–went out on the front deck and was as awe struck as ever watching it pass over! Space travel still amazes me!