Northern Lights

April 23rd, 2012 at 10:45 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Picture of the Northern Lights from last night at Millennium Park – from Pete Mumbower – click to enlarge.   Over 40 people wrote/called/commented to tell me the Northern Lights were faintly visible.  Everyone who has seen them says it’s a green band to the north.  You have to be in a dark spot without a lot of man-made light.   They have been seen throughout the northern U.S. and Canada overnight.

12 Responses to “Northern Lights”

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

Yup! Confirmed! Just looked outside and the whole northern sky is glowing greenish. Had no problem picking it out even after staring at the tv for the past hour. Now lets hope they push a little farther south as we head for solar midnight!!

2. Skot says:

Not spectacular by any means but still sweet. I have seen it look like a fire and also streaks of white like a flag waving. Get outside yall.

3. Hastings says:

About 8 miles south of Hastings now, stood outside for 10 minutes and could see nothing :(

Still waiting to see my first aurora’s.. Bring it on Sol.

4. Barry in Zeeland says:

Still just a pale glow, no beams yet. I have seen several pulses where the sky seems to faintly flash, but they just haven’t moved far enough south yet. Kp is up to 6!

5. I ventured outdoors in Greenville, didn’t see much. My FB is blowing up with posts and photos though from across the US. Nothing too spectacular, but it’s there.

1. Jeff B. (Gowen) says:

Not sure where you live in Greenville Charles, but I live just north of Gowen, and could see them really well.

6. Herb (SE Muskegon) says:

Driving back from Manistee last night, stopped at Pentwater exit. No city lights to interfere. Looked pretty good, greens some reds. Regret I didn’t have my camera with me.

7. Bernie (Da Original) says:

I seen them too. It was what I consider a minimum show. Just a glow in the sky.
    During a good show you can look straight up and see what Skot described, flames going out into space. Twice in my life I have seen that. I have always assumed it was the solar flare itself and not the Van Allen belts glowing.

8. Jeff B. (Gowen) says:

Saw it last nite also. It was about 10:10 pm when I went to let the dogs out, all of a sudden my beagle started barking and my husky started howling. I looked up to the north and saw what they were barking at. It had a eerie feeling watching the northern lights and my husky howling like a wolf. Hopefully they will out again tonite.

9. Northwest Calhoun county says:

I was able to see a faint haze of whitish green, but the stars were amazing. I am sure the UP had a wonderful view of the Northetn Lights. We use to see them a lot living up there.

I saw them – but to be honest, they were so low on the horizon that I mistook them for the usual glow that comes from S Grand Rapids reflecting off low clouds… it wasn’t until 11 PM when I let the dogs out that I realized the “glow” was gone

11. Cassie - Kentwood says:

Saw nothing about 9:30PM in Newaygo MI while on the expressway. I was taking pictures of the sunset and moon as they were beautiful. The moon had a beautiful outline to it.