Solar Eclipse at Sunset on May 20

May 6th, 2012 at 1:41 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Click on the picture to enlarge.  A solar eclipse begins in the U.S. and extends across the Pacific on the evening of May 20.  In the U.S., it’ll be best viewed in northern California.  Here in Michigan, the eclipse will begin shortly before the sun sets.  Check out this page for more information.  Also check out this page from the Kalamazoo Astronomical Society and maybe plan on joining them at Warren Dunes that evening.  We’d need a clear sky to the west that evening and that’s not the easiest thing to do.  Even on a clear day, incoming cirrus clouds or summer haze can dim the sun before it reaches a flat horizon.   There’s a spectacular solar eclipse coming to the U.S. in August 2017 and another on April 8, 2024.  Another very rare event will occur on June 5th this year.  Venus will move across (transit) the sun.  This will be the last chance you’ll be able to see this in your lifetime.  The next transit of Venus will be in the year 2117.  Also check out the Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Assn.

12 Responses to “Solar Eclipse at Sunset on May 20”

1. Imthemom (just n holland) says:

My prayers are with you and your family. I lost my parents 4 years ago and still miss them. Our hope is that we will all see our loved ones again.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Did I miss something here?

2. Brenda says:

Imthemom, I understand how you feel. Mine have been gone 10 and 13 years respectively, and I miss them, too.

2. Bernie at Da Lakeshore says:

That could make the sunset picture of a lifetime. The big hill to the east of the Silver Lake lighthouse could provide the perfect setting… (yes it is state land!)
    Unfortunately this is Michigan and Murphys Law will rue the day!

From my experience taking sunset pictures…

A few clouds or haze would be better than totally clear skies. Most digital and film cameras will have a black dot in the middle of sun from overexposure. Haze and clouds provide a natural filter to prevent that.

Now if somehow the moon could be in the picture too. :)

1. Bernie at Da Lakeshore says:

Sorry to hear about your loss!

3. Nathan (GR) says:

I remember the one in 2008… It was clear. Well, my mom saw it, but she told me to go to bed, so I missed it….. Maybe this time though!

4. dano (Norton Shores) says:

A total Solar Eclipse is a bucket list item for sure…

1. RUSS IN GR says:

I can’t verify this at the current time, but it seems to me I heard or read a few years back that Grand Rapids would see a total eclipse in 2025 (I think). Don’t quote me on this – I could be wrong – but that idea kind of sticks in my mind for some reason.

5. RUSS IN GR says:

Have to set up my camera on the boardwalk at Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon on the 20th, which happens to be my girlfriend (Linda’s) birthday. Linda happens to live in Muskegon just up the road from Pere Marquette, so I’ll be there anyway.

As for the June 5 transit of the sun by Venus, that’s the big one. It only happens twice every 100 or so years eight years apart. I missed the one eight years ago (in 2004) for some reason, but this one I won’t miss. I’m wondering if the Veen Observatory will open for this.

The eclipse you’re thinking about is April 8, 2024. It’s not total here, but pretty good. Totality goes across N. Ohio into central Indiana…actually from Maine to Texas. http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html I added the link to the thread.

6. kristin putney says:

Solar Eclipse setting as a radiant crimson crescent into the blue green waters of Lake Michigan…. lightning dancing across the horizon, under a blanket of charcoal clouds…warm gentle rains come…. Sheer awe.