Mon. night storms hit entire area

July 30th, 2012 at 2:57 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

WW0540 RADAR Thumbnail Image

4:30  AM — heading to bed…will update late morning.   NEWAYGO CountyThere are at least 100 trees down, on houses, cars and roads. The majority of the county does not have power, the dispatch center is running on generator. She advises that if you are driving anywhere in the county be aware of trees. Baseline E of White Cloud is impassable due to the amount of trees in the road.  NWS reports:  “ABOUT A HUNDRED TREES DOWN ACROSS NEWAYGO COUNTY NORTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM HESPERIA TO NEWAYGO.”  Solid line of storms from Saginaw to Lansing to Saugatuck to Kenosha WI to Rockford IL. Gust to 47 mph at the buoy just west of Holland and 46 at the airport in Holland.  Pea-sized hail here in S. Alpine Township, at Wolf Lake in Muskegon Co. and in Walker.  Meso Discussion for Lower Michigan…only 20% chance of a watch.   Gust to at least 40 mph where I am, 45 mph in Alpine Township on Fruit Ridge, 46 mph at the Muskegon airport and est. 55 mph in Rockford, pea-sized hail in Muskegon and 40 mph at the Muskegon Beach…I saw a couple of brilliant bright blue flashes to the northeast and my power flickered…I assume we have power out somewhere.  It’s really howlin’ here in Comstock Park.  Trees and power lines down in Cedar Creek Township (Twin Lake), Muskegon Co.   Gust front moving into Allegan/Barry counties.  “Various reports from Holland through western Allegan County of power outages, etc.,  part of her porch roof blown off in Fennville.”     Frequent lighting with these storms.  Gust to 54 mph in Ludington.  Gust to 40 mph at Mears.  Gusts to 30-40 mph in Big Rapids and Fremont.  Tree down in Walkerville (Oceana Co.).  Trees down in White Cloud and Hesperia.  Warning for Oceana and Newaygo Counties.  Grand Rapids radar…most of us are going to get a storm tonight!   Special Marine Warning for Mason and northern Oceana Co. Gust to 53 mph at Traverse City and 62 mph at Pellston.  There is significant damage at the north end of Burt Lake – power out, trees on houses.   Thunderstorms have produced hail up to 2 1/2″ in diameter near Green Bay.  Here’s Green Bay storm reports.  Here’s recent storm reports from N. Lower Michigan and SW MichiganIn the U.P., there were hail reports, and a 59 mph wind gust at Grand Marais.    Most of West Michigan is included in the Slight Risk Area for a potential severe storm later tonight (we should be dry much of the evening).  All the models print out some rain for us tonight, mainly after midnight.   We already have a Severe T-Storm Watch out for much of the U.P.,  NE Wisconsin to the middle of Lake Michigan.  Here’s Marquette radar and Green Bay radar.   About the Watch, SPC says: ” FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 2 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 60 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 450. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 31025″. With a mean storm motion of 310 degrees, the storms would be moving NW to SE and storms around Green Bay would be tracking down toward Muskegon and Grand Rapids. The SPC Convective Discussion says: “AT LEAST ISOLATED/PERIODIC SEVERE TSTMS WILL REMAIN POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN WI AND PERHAPS NORTHERN/WESTERN LOWER MI THIS EVENING.”  Keep coming back to the blog for more and the links:   current conditions, regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, and Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop and the visible satellite loop (daytime). Here’s Storm Total RainfallRegional Radar, SPC Mesoscale Discussions…and Current Severe T-Storm Watches.

9:50 PM – I’m back from swimming and kayaking at Crockery Lake.  I got a water temperature of 83 at the lake.  It was fun to watch the cumulonimbus build with their spreading anvils on the northwest horizon.  On the way back, I stopped to watch the sunset from Trinity Lutheran Church, where they have an awesome view to the northwest.  You could see the sun all the way to the horizon, just like at Lake Michigan.  The nearly full moon hung in the SE, there was a field of silking corn that stretched well to the north and the laughter of several children in the distance, enjoying the fading light of a mid-summer evening.

472 Responses to “Mon. night storms hit entire area”

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

Hmm only had .16″ in my rain gauge yet I see everyone around me with way more. Weird.

2. Jeffery North Ionia says:

Heard the wind blowing and the thunder last night but i unfortunatley slept through the majority of the storm. There is a tree down, across the road from my house and we had curtains blown off our windows.

3. Lynn says:

White Cloud looks like a tornado went through it! Reports of over 100 downed trees and power lines – thankfully my power just came on. The heart of the Newaygo county seat had spruce trees up by roots everywhere. I do not have tv access and was wondering on the lightening strikes and total wind gusts…We were told we were in the red but never heard any warnings!

4. phlrnnr says:

I was happy to see .55″ of rain in the gauge just NW of Hudsonville this morning. Thankful to the Lord for that rain, especially when I went to bed expecting nothing. So far this year a 40% chance of rain usually meant nothing :-)

5. Kimoeagle says:

A little bit of thunder and lightning – and apparently power went briefly, with some clocks blinking. A few small branches on the back lawn. Rain here, but apparently we missed the excitement (?) that you guys had to our north.
    Be well. Am glad noone was hurt.

Seeing lots of pics out of Newaygo the county is wrecked lots of tree’s down on houses for sure the Biggest storm of the year in West Michigan !! Severe weather season is not done yet!!! I hope everybody is ok!! INDYY…

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Was I right Indy or was I right about the time frame of storms hitting W. Michigan ;-) FULL Bubble was brought this way, I have to ROFL http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=a4&size=2x&type=loop&MR=1

7. ~Sherry~(Comstock Park) says:

Nice storm last night!! We got our power back at around 6:30 so that was nice. It was fun blogging during the storm and we have not had many opportunities to do that this year!! I hope there are more good storms like that on the way this summer!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I truly hope I don’t bring the bubble back with me Sherry ;-) I’d like to see and hear good rock and rattle and roll storms, the storms here the clouds were impressive, gust fronts but as far as lighting and thunder, barely! That is what makes storms fun is hearing how loud they can get and how vivid the lighting goes on.

8. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

I am now in Newaygo for a couple weeks until my house and roof are completely fixed may take longer than that but as I was on my way there were quite a few trees 1-3 foot in diameter down with numerous branches down 4-10 inches in diameter what a storm!!! there were quite a few traffic lights out (power outage) and I got to my aunts only to find out that there is no power :( and she said we won’t have power until 8am tomorrow morning ugh so I will be blogging on my phone!

1. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Oh and she had this huge probably 200year old tree that snapped right in half and was blocking her entire drive way so I get to spend my day cleaning that tree up oh well it gives me something to do :)

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

And not use up your battery as fast since there is no power you better limit your usage so you don’t drain your battery and can’t blog.

9. Mr. Negative says:

ADA – Storm free – Rain amount showing 8/10 of an inch…seems high. Had to “borrow” some thunder to the North in order to hear anything. As ususal, lightning stayed 20 miles away.

10. Kevin(Rockford) says:

.68 Here, pretty good cracks of thunder and some decent wind, snapped off my rose trellis @ the base

11. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

WOW we just drove up to White Cloud it’s a mess!!! there are trees down every where! there is a lot of debris in the roads the trees literally look like they snapped like they were tooth picks or twigs! also most of the lights are not working!

12. Skot says:

Never seen a storm that strong move so slow. I watched it move in outside for about 45 mins. It was worth the wait. Sat on the grass down at the street and just plain old enjoyed it. Havent done that in forever.

13. Julie/Dorr says:

Well that’s what I get for not checking the weather before turning in for the night….lost a brand new patio umbrella to the wind. We were busy all evening and never thought to look since the last I’d seen was a “chance of showers”. Woke up around 2:30 am to the wind howling like crazy. The umbrella was up – yeah that wasn’t so smart anyway – and it snapped in two before we could rescue it. On the bright side we got 4/10 inch of rain out here in Dorr! I get to skip watering the garden for another couple of days :) Anyone know of any stores running a good clearance sale on patio umbrellas???