2 Dead in Monday night’s storm – Next severe weather possible

July 31st, 2012 at 1:04 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Two fatalities in last night’s storm.  A couple in Fremont were killed when a tree crashed into their home (see middle picture).  Also:  Newaygo State Park reports they have more than 200 trees down, as well as property damage in the campground. No injuries reported.  Here’s a couple pictures from ReportIt on the left and right.  Click the pictures to enlarge. The first is a tree on a house in Holland the second is a tree on a house in Ada.  A total of 67,000 lost power in the storms and about 3/4ths of those have had power restored as of late morning.  Newaygo County will issue a statement, perhaps later this PM.  Hundreds of trees were toppled across the county.  There was also more significant tree damage in the Holland area.  Here’s storm reports from W. Michigan, N. Michigan and NE Wisconsin.  Here’s storm reports from SPC.   Winds were estimated at 70 mph at the west end of Lake Macatawa in Holland with a measured 65 mph gust on the beach at Holland.  The South Haven Lighthouse had 58 mph. and winds were estimated at 55 mph in Rockford.  Downtown Grand Haven recorded a gust to 52 mph.  There were a half dozen reports of small hail (Grandville, Walker, Comstock Park, Muskegon, Ferrysburg).  Rainfal totaled 2.04″ just west of Fremont, 2″ at Twin Lake, 1.8″ at Ferry in Oceana Co., 1.71″ in Grand Haven and just west of Grant, 1.68″ at S. Haven, 1.32″ at Bangor.  Other areas had less.  The Ford Airport in G.R. had 0.46″, the Kalamazoo Airport had 0.25″ and the Battle Creek Airport had 0.17″.  The lowest I saw as of 8 am was Mendon at 0.09″ (they may have had more after the observation was taken).  We’ll be dry this through tomorrow.  I’m checking new data and I’ll have the latest on the news tonight at 5 and 6 PM.

Also, while SPC has not marked a severe risk area yet, stay up to date on the forecast for the weekend.  SPC mentions us:  “WHILE IT APPEARS THAT MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES MAY STEEPEN WITH ADVECTION OF ELEVATED MIXED LAYER AIR AS FAR EAST AS LOWER MICHIGAN SATURDAY…THE OCCURRENCE/TIMING AND LOCATION OF A POTENTIAL REGIONAL SEVERE WEATHER EVENT REMAIN UNCERTAIN.”  So, they’re tracking the severe weather probability for Saturday PM and Saturday night across the Great Lakes.

We did reach 90 degrees officially on Monday, so that’s the 28th day of 90-degree temperatures this summer and the 18th 90-degree day in July.

78 Responses to “2 Dead in Monday night’s storm – Next severe weather possible”

1. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

I think the worst damage out of the storms is in White Cloud there is debris everywhere in the roads numerous trees down most of the city is with out power and there are also numerous tree branches down my Aunt said that her friend who lives in White Cloud said the tornado sirens were going off for about 20 minutes last night in the city!

2. DanielG says:

5/8ths of an inch in the guage on the east side of Myers Lake here in northeast Kent County. Judging from the sticks and leaves down I’d guess the wind was in the 45 to 50 MPH range around here this morning. Some dead tree damage to powerlines at the county park took out the power for a couple of hours AFTER the storm went thru…hummm. Came back on before sunrise. THANKS Consumers!

3. DanielG says:

And I see two were killed in Fremont by a tree falling on their house. Living in a home surrounded by large oaks always makes me wonder whats next when things start rocking but then again they have made it thru some massive ice storms and a couple of Derecheo’s so I guess they have stood the test of time. I HOPE!

4. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Yeah and since I’m returning Friday, nothing will happen back home and all the action will be here now that I’ll be gone.

5. Steve G says:

Bill — did the local NWS drop the ball on the storm last night? The last forecast I read from them before it his was for a chance of sprinkles. That seemed to contradict what I read on your blog regarding the SPC.

1. Cort S. says:

Depends exactly where your area is (they would have probably given areas to the north/west of GR better chances) and what time you checked the forecast. They don’t use “chance of sprinkles” wording too often (if it even is an option for them, which I am not entirely sure of, they tend to only use it in the short term when it’s a spring-like, overwhelmingly cloudy, and somewhat drizzly day). I would be surprised if it wasn’t “chance of showers.” They probably would have also included chance of thunderstorms in the forecast grids as well, but I can’t say for sure because I wasn’t looking last night. However, from their archived forecast discussions, it makes sense that they would call for chance of showers/thunderstorms in their forecast grids. They saw the storms coming and had a pretty good idea that they would survive their way to Michigan, especially north/west of GR, but they were uncertain of what their strength would be.

These were their forecast discussions from the afternoon forecast package, and the evening update:

—————————

.SYNOPSIS…
      ISSUED AT 345 PM EDT MON JUL 30 2012

A COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP SOUTHEAST THROUGH MICHIGAN TONIGHT…
      BRINGING SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SOME OF
      THE STORMS MAY BE STRONG TO SEVERE WEST OF HIGHWAY 131.

RAIN WILL END TUESDAY MORNING AS THE FRONT DEPARTS… WITH
      DECREASING CLOUDS FOLLOWING. STRONG NORTH WINDS BEHIND THE FRONT
      WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS SWIMMING AND BOATING CONDITIONS ON LAKE
      MICHIGAN FOR TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL PROVIDE DRY AND PLEASANT WEATHER ON WEDNESDAY…
      THEN ANOTHER COLD FRONT WILL BRING A THREAT OF SHOWERS AND
      THUNDERSTORMS ON THURSDAY.

&&

.SHORT TERM…(THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT)
      ISSUED AT 345 PM EDT MON JUL 30 2012

THE MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH NOW OVER THE LAKE SUPERIOR REGION
      WILL DIG SEWD TONIGHT. HEIGHT FALLS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS AMPLIFYING
      WAVE AND LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SFC COLD FRONT
      WILL SET OFF A SCT-BKN LINE OF CONVECTION TO OUR NW OVER WI LATE
      THIS AFTERNOON. THIS ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO EASILY SURVIVE THE TREK
      ACROSS LAKE MI THIS EVENING AS AXIS OF INSTABILITY WITH MUCAPES
      AROUND 2000 J/KG LEANS INTO WRN LWR MI AHEAD OF THE FRONT. LAKE MI
      ACTUALLY MAY ALSO PROVIDE SOME BOOST GIVEN THE VERY WARM WATER TEMPS
      AND ADDED SOURCE OF MOISTURE. HAVE RAISED POPS TO LIKELY OVER MUCH
      OF THE CWFA TONIGHT.

SOME WIND DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WITH ANY ORGANIZED/BOWING LINES OF
      CONVECTION TONIGHT. ALL THE JUICY DETAILS RELATED TO SEVERE WX
      POTENTIAL CAN BE FOUND IN THE SPC DAY1 OTLK AS WELL AS ANY MESOSCALE
      DISCUSSIONS FOR OUR AREA.

BELIEVE MOST OF THE CONVECTION WILL EXIT TO THE SOUTHEAST ON TUESDAY
      MORNING. HOWEVER IT IS POSSIBLE SOME ENHANCEMENT AND/OR NEW
      DEVELOPMENT WILL TAKE PLACE NEAR JXN IN THE LATE MORNING PRIOR TO
      THE FRONT FULLY EXITING TO THE SE.

—————————

.UPDATE…
      ISSUED AT 953 PM EDT MON JUL 30 2012

RADAR IS CURRENTLY LIT UP FROM THE BRIDGE SOUTHWEST TO NEAR
      MANITOWOC. NEW ECHOS WERE FORMING SW OF MANITOWOC ACROSS CENTRAL
      WISCONSIN AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT. LATEST HRRR BRINGS A BROKEN LINE
      OF STORMS ACROSS THE CWA LATE TONIGHT. SHEAR VALUES ARE
      CONSIDERABLY LESS ACROSS LOWER MI THAN ACROSS WISCONSIN. THINKING
      THAT CHCS OF SVR STORMS ARE DIMINISHING BASED ON TIME OF DAY AND
      MODEL PROGS OF SHEAR BUT A STRONG STORM OR TWO IS CERTAINLY
      POSSIBLE. TWEAKED POPS TO REFLECT A BIT SLOWER TIMING THROUGH THE
      CWA.

6. Steve G says:

The second sentence should have read “The last forecast I read from them before it hit was a chance of sprinkles”.

SPC had us in the Slight Risk Area in the afternoon when I checked (I was off yesterday). They did issue a Meso-discussion. You could argue that they should have issued a watch. The GRR NWS afternoon discussion said: “A COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP SOUTHEAST THROUGH MICHIGAN TONIGHT…
      BRINGING SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SOME OF
      THE STORMS MAY BE STRONG TO SEVERE…THIS ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO EASILY SURVIVE THE TREK ACROSS LAKE MI THIS EVENING AS AXIS OF INSTABILITY WITH MUCAPES AROUND 2000 J/KG LEANS INTO WRN LWR MI AHEAD OF THE FRONT. LAKE MI ACTUALLY MAY ALSO PROVIDE SOME BOOST GIVEN THE VERY WARM WATER TEMPS
      AND ADDED SOURCE OF MOISTURE. HAVE RAISED POPS TO LIKELY OVER MUCH OF THE CWFA TONIGHT. SOME WIND DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WITH ANY ORGANIZED/BOWING LINES OF CONVECTION TONIGHT.”

1. phlrnnr says:

I was surprised that there was no Warning for Ottawa County. I got woken up when they issued the Warning for Kent. I noticed there was a Significant Weather Advisory or Special Weather Statement (I can’t remember which one), but if not for my text message alert for Kent, I wouldn’t have even known the storm was coming.

With all the wind damage and high gusts, I’m surprised a Warning wasn’t issued for Ottawa last night.

7. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Swatz I don’t think you will be bringing the bubble back you may very well be leaving it there…

8. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Could be interesting to see what happens Saturday night even Weather.com already saying the potential for severe weather on Saturday!

1. Cort S. says:

That’s right, Jordan. The morning forecast discussion from the NWS is pegging this system as well.

.LONG TERM…(THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY)
      ISSUED AT 350 AM EDT TUE JUL 31 2012

MODELS HAVE TRENDED SLOWER AND STRONGER WITH A MORE SIGNIFICANT
      SHORTWAVE TROUGH THAT ARRIVES SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY WHICH MAY
      BRING SOME SEVERE WEATHER AS 00Z GFS SHOWS GREATER THAN 40 KTS OF
      SHEAR AND CAPES NEAR 1000 ON SUNDAY MORNING. THIS WILL BEAR WATCHING
      THROUGH THE WEEK.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Yeah but look at the 8 day forecast and being put in the moderate without much of anything and then sadly look at what happened last night! That is why I wish something could be done or said to protect the public, but I know over all in the end it is what the public does in the end of the forecast but it’s been very difficult to take the forecasts seriously and when one doesn’t something so tragic like this happens, this couple may very well have thought the same thing, oh this will be another “FAIL” we’ll just have rain showers or some lighting. So tragic, that is why as much as we see FAILS to still take things very seriously and not let our guard down at any cost, from general T-Storms to slight-Moderate risks, one never knows and that is scary. I feel AWFUL for that couple and the families. :-(

It’s just so hard to know who’s going to get clobbered? Who will you warn, and how?? Travis Ulberg doesn’t live all that far from me, yet we get dramatically different weather at times. And even though I was fighting with an unruly (and loose) boat in the weee hours of this morning – I don’t think what WE experienced was “severe” in the true sense of the word; even though it shredded boat lift canopies and left little branches laying everywhere. I even have a “beach” on my deck from all the sand blowing over from my neighbor’s waterfront.

But all that pales when someone gets hurt or worse…. there just is no answer.

9. Jeff (Fremont) says:

Wow, that was some storm last night here (4 miles south of Fremont). The lightning was amazing! It was constant as in it never got dark in the house for the duration of the first storm which lasted maybe a half hour and it was around 1:13 A.M. when I woke up to that one. Then we had another storm a little later. Lots of rain too!

10. Jeff (Fremont) says:

Oh wow, I didn’t read Bill’s Blog post before commenting, I had no idea two people were killed in Fremont last night. That’s really sad to hear.

Wow this is when we get severe storms theee great change of seasons summer to fall look out!! More severe storms coming Thur. Sat. and Sun.. Bill , Bloggers get ready….INDYY..

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

After last night, take it seriously folks even IF it is a fail. I guess this tragic news is a reminder to be careful what we wish for with the weather and to respect it.

1. Brad (Lawrence) says:

Yup…I had a sarcastic post yesterday, but I still take the possibilty of storms seriously. What I am impressed by is the new alert system. I got an alert on my Droid X last night and it woke me up (Light Sleeper) about a dangerous storm headed my way. It got here about 35 minutes after I got the warning. Although the storms were not so dangerous when they got here, we had plenty of time to prepare just in case they were. I do have to say it was a GREAT light show, and we also got some really nice gusting wind…felt great.

Cue: Johnathan Edwards….People Get Ready / Train of Glory……….

12. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Well I got my storm so even if Saturday is a fail I’m OK with it because the storm I have wanted all summer has finally hit last night but I do feel for the family who lost the couple praying for them!

Even kyle at 11pm weather last night said a chance of some storms being strong but {not likely} nothing about severe storms if they even make it to Grand Rapids for being the time frame on them storms nobody really thought they would be severe I bet the NWS is going to Newaygo to check if is wsa a Tornado that went over!! INDYY..

1. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

I can say it was defiantly a weak tornado in White Cloud ef0-ef1 the damage was really bad in White Cloud if not then straight line winds 80-90MPH!

1. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

If the trees all fell the same way and damage from structures was all in the same direction it was wind. If everything is a tangled mess thrown in multiple directions it was likely a tornado.

1. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

There were things thrown in multiple directions and people in the city including my Aunts friend herd the tornado sirens go off for about 20 minutes so most likely it was a tornado that ripped through the city of White Cloud TAKE MY WORD it was a mess in White Cloud!

2. Cort S. says:

Tornado sirens don’t cause tornadoes, though. Some communities sound tornado sirens for strong winds. Was the wind damage path very wide or very narrow? If it was wide, it was most likely strong winds. There are other ways that the NWS can determine whether or not it was a tornado: was the damage laid out in a convergent or divergent pattern? Tornadoes are convergent (winds flowing into a point). They could interview witnesses of the most severe damage: did the strong winds last for many seconds to minutes, ramp up and die down, or was it very quick and powerful then done? A small tornado is more likely to have a sudden ramp up of extreme winds which die down quickly as it passes.

i said this above in a previous comment:

Bill Steffen says:
          July 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm (Edit)

BRINGING SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SOME OF

14. Paul says:

People need to listen to professionals like Bill when they tell them to watch out for severe weather. It’s just sad in this day and age when people die because of severe weather.

1. mike says:

Bill, repeating what a poster said above..do you think the SPC totally dropped the ball last night? All these 2,3,5,8 day outlooks and nothing, and yet last night about an hour or two before we find out we MIGHT get a big storm…where was the forecasting?? Storm of the season by far and no talk of it beforehand.

1. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

There was a slight risk out as of the noon update for the areas that were hit hardest.

1. Cort S. says:

The noon update of the slight risk and overlaid storm reports:

And while I’m at that website… here is how last week’s week-in-advance and eventual moderate risk turned out:

2. big Daddy BC says:

I hope you were smart, Paul, and vacated the trailer. Those winds could have blown you and your sister/cousin down the road. Whew.

1. Paul says:

Only a sick mind like bdbc would find humor with a couple dying in a storm. Your sad little man.

Our prayers and thoughts are with their family.

1. big Daddy BC says:

Who’s ‘our?’

2. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Probably his immediate family’s OUR PRAYS, but for many of us as a blogger family who believe in God, OUR is this blog family who believe as well.

3. Dan says:

This is Big Daddy’s “high moral standard” Sick is right!
          He mocks Jesus and then has the audacity to question your intent to pray. It is quite obvious that Big Daddy has got some major mental problems. Are you even capable of showing some true compassion, Big Daddy?

4. Paul says:

Your right Dan. I’am becoming convinced that he may have some mental limitations. He takes bait easily and enjoys any attention that he can get, especially negative. That’s usually a sign of mild retardation and/or a bad realtionship with his wife or male mate.

2. bobcat says:

Wow, little one! Crap like that sprays from your mind. Yet you want us all to believe the political nonsense that comes from that same mind? You look like a fool.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

That he certainly does! God give the family peace and serenity during this difficult time IN YOUR NAME JESUS MY SAVOR WHOM I BELIEVE IN AND TRUST I PRAY IN YOUR NAME WITH PRIDE!

3. big Daddy BC says:

The irony is a prayer from Paul. I have all the compassion in the world for the couple that perished in the storm and wish their family well, but anyone that’s followed Paul on this blog knows that he’s a crude bigot. Having said that, I’m glad he and his cousin’s meth lab escaped the ravishes of the storm.
        I appreciate the comments from the spiritual members of the blog family, but you all know as well as I that I was ribbing Paul and not making light of tragedy. I apologize for having offended you (everyone but Dan, anyway).

1. Paul says:

The mass majority of people on this blog have great compassion for the family of the couple who died in Monday’s storm. But unfortunately there are people like bdbc who like to make light of their deaths. His apology is bogus and his mocking of these peoples deaths reflects his true lack of character. He is a heartless and evil person and I hope the victims family has not read this blog. They certainly don’t need to read the garbage coming out of his (bdbc) mind.

2. big Daddy BC says:

I think you over-played it, Paul.

Isn’t there a hate crime you should be committing somewhere?

3. Paul says:

It’s amazing, I don’t see any of your friends defending you and your hateful remarks. You’re a sad person bdbc, I am praying for you and your family.

4. big Daddy BC says:

I’m praying you’re sister gets her parole. I’ve sure missed her.

5. bobcat says:

“but anyone that’s followed Paul on this blog knows that he’s a crude bigot. Having said that, I’m glad he and his cousin’s meth lab escaped the ravishes of the storm.”

Your posts are gross and ignorant. And THAT post shows the fact that you have WAY too much time on your hands… Who ‘follows’ people on a blog? If you want to ‘follow’ someone go to facebook or twitter.

You keep trying to make us believe that you have some kind of vast knowledge. But you just keep proving that you can’t even get a job.

6. big Daddy BC says:

Sorry, Kitty. I’m not sure why your claws are out. Maybe get back on that loader and move a few dirt piles. That might make you feel better. :)

7. PAB says:

Big Duddy little cock, you’re a stupid little fudge packer!!!

“The global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford’s book organizes the facts very well.) I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.” – Dr. Harold Lewis, Professor of Physics, Univ. of California

15. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

The MOST I ever want when I say “I want severe storms” is when the house shakes rattles when a HUGE crack of thunder and it shakes the windowns and goes through your soul like it would standing next to a speaker during a rock concert, nothing of devastation and tragedy like last night, so to clarify why I would want it is because of my example I just mentioned but not to the point Newaygo got and white cloud that caused devastation and death. :-( So very sad.

16. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

The NWS still talking about the potential for severe in our area Saturday night I think it will not happen because so far this season it seams like when they forecast ahead it never happens but like last night it came to a last minute decision and what happened we all got hot really hard over 50,000 people lost power trees landed on houses and roads so last night was the storm of the season so not counting on much Saturday we will just have to see what the NWS is saying Saturday!

.LONG TERM…(FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY)
    ISSUED AT 345 PM EDT TUE JUL 31 2012

UPPER TROUGH TO MOVE THROUGH THE NORTHERN PLAINS FRIDAY AND THROUGH
    THE GREAT LAKES REGION LATE SATURDAY. THIS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL
    FOR WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY
    ALONG WITH A SHOT FOR SOME SEVERE WEATHER. OTHERWISE…A FAIRLY
    QUIET LONG TERM PERIOD WITH ONLY ISOLATED TO SCATTERED SHOWER
    ACTIVITY FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.

HIGH TEMPERATURES THROUGH THE LONG TERM SHOULD BE IN THE UPPER 80S
    TO LOWER 90S FRIDAY AND SATURDAY…WITH LOWER TO MID 80S SUNDAY
    THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I know it’s pathetic isn’t it Jordan, that is why people sadly and fearfully don’t take NWS seriously because the forecasts are wrong and they take light of the situation as well as them and that is why as I have kept saying when Mother Nature will play us all for the fool and catch us when our pants are down.

1. Cort S. says:

On the other hand, Swatz, modern meteorology is a young science (in just one human lifetime, we’ve gone from almost no ability to predict the weather to what we have today. Tornado watch forecasting was a taboo until the 1950s. We had no idea that the jet stream existed until we flew airplanes in the world war. We discovered that weather “got in the way” of radars back in those days too. And we never had a top-down view of weather systems until satellites were launched in the 1960s.), and many aspects of weather are still far from being fully understood. Severe weather is a mesoscale (small-scale in time and space) event, and we don’t have all the observations we would like to have in order to resolve these small scales accurately, especially in the many important atmospheric layers above the ground. Plus our mesoscale models are relatively new and experimental now that computing power has finally allowed us to reach this level of modeling. Severe weather forecasting must be expressed in terms of probability and verified from a regional perspecive for now.

I hope Cort reads my “thank you” for reminding us that just because an event isn’t happening in OUR backyard, doesn’t mean others aren’t being affected. I get tired of people talking about a forecast FAIL when they didn’t see lightning/hear thunder. IMO, the forecasts are remarkably accurate, when you consider all the variables a forecaster has to deal with. I suspect it’s like throwing a rubber duck into the Grand River off the 6th St Bridge; and predicting when it will go under the drawbridge in Spring Lake??

17. Hugh near Ada says:

So sorry that two people lost their lives in last night’s storm. Please accept my prayers for their family and friends. God Blessings to them.

In JESUS Name…..Amen………..

18. I know we got rain in DeWitt last night, but I slept through any thunder and lightning, however, radio announcer who lives in East Lansing area said she heard a good storm at 2 AM, so I guess I missed it!

Yeah – my husband conveniently slept through all the commotion last night. Had my boat been struck by lightning (and me with it) he might have noticed that I was missing when nobody made him coffee in the morning….LOL!!

19. Rick (Coopersville) says:

Does anyone know if there is a radar loop of the storms that rolled through this morning and if so where would I find it?

1. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Wood just showe4d it on their 5:30 forecast

1. Rick (Coopersville) says:

I seen that but I would like to be able to loop it. My brother and I have some property up in White Cloud and the way it sounds we are going to have to bring the chainsaw and take care of some down trees.

1. Rick (Coopersville) says:

Thanks Ben that is what I was looking for.

2. Cort S. says:

Good site, Ben.

Weather Underground uses a color curve that is not quite the standard “yellow at 40 dBZ, red at 50.” Makes things look more intense than what you might see on the NWS radar site.

As for radar archives, I like this site too: (I’ve got 75 image frames in this loop, so it might take a little while to load for slower connections)

I say it over and over every summer the storms that we are not under a watch for or in a slight mod high risk hit us hard the most, look back over the years facts will prove it!! After watching the 10pm news lat night Kyle said strong storms only a few of them out of this cold front .. Severe storms NOT LIKELY in Grand Rapids took my last sip of sprite and called it a night and went to bed only get woke up from winds out in front of the storm with one hell of a roarrr checked radar and fell out of my chair and thought wow best storm of the summer with a loud hummer is here!! Bill new what was coming!! INDYY…

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I watched that radar loop Ben posted and Fremont definitely got NAILED, I feel so bad for that couple and the family. I’ll be tracking with you all Saturday night my friends.

1. Brad (Lawrence) says:

Got a big party at my house Saturday night. 3 big canopies set up and lots of kids in the pool. Hopefully anything we get will be overnight. DO NOT want this party ruined as this is our only weekend for the rest of the summer to be able to make it happen. Like I have said before, Mother Nature is a ***** and she has a cruel sense of humor.

21. weather watcher says:

It was a storm I haven’t seen since I was in Door County…just over 2 years ago. The wind was causing the trees to bend and the rain was slanting with each gust.

Strange thing was..I had little to no thunder initially.. And no lightening. That came after the winds subsided somewhat. It was that initial surge (gusts) that I feel did all the damage in my area…not much (limbs downs and one small tree) As I was fortunate. But you could sense the strengthening of this storm as it passed me.I am not surprised at the damage that White Cloud and Newaygo. That storm was brutal.

Still not comparable (to me) to the derecho…but it was close enough for my liking. I have had my fill of severe weather for the year.

22. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

We have power now YAY :) just came back on 1 minute ago YES :D my Aunt just said that she heard on the radio that it was a conformation that it was straight line winds in White Cloud of 84 MPH!

23. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Powers out again :(

24. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Yes powers on now and consumers said it’s expected to stay on now they fixed everything YAY :)

25. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Only 400 people without power now in Newaygo county Great Job Consumers :D

Glad to Hear It, Jordan..Keep us Posted..Thanks…YOUR BLOG FAMILY……PEACE

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Very true Jack, so very true we have all become like family more so then others but we are family! May not have met some personally but when push comes to shove, fight disagreements we are here in the end for each other and concerned about the well being of the other blogger.

26. bobcat says:

The wind took a big part of the roof off our neighbors barn. Lots of branches down here. (about 6 miles south of Holland)

27. hurricane hunter says:

I watched it come in, it was muggy, sticky, and calm winds one minute then it got a little windy to being a pretty big gust, and within maybe 20 minutes it downpoured. Nice storm considering we haven’t had any in so long I was thinking mother nature forgot about us. My friend was up by W.C. she said major trees down up there.

28. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Going up to W.C today to see the progress!

My cousin who lives just south of Baldwin said they didn’t lose any trees – so the storm must have gained some steam from that point on….

We were camping at Newaygo state park Monday night in a tent when the storm hit. It was REALLY loud and sounded like a jet taking off. I have never heard a tornado before but it certainly was loud for around ten minutes,peaking over around 2 minutes. I heard that there were over 200 trees down in the park, one of them being a 100 year old oak that fell 50 feet from our tent, covering site 77 in the Poplar part. Luckily the park was mostly empty. The campers worked well together to help each other out to clear some of the trees so people could get out of there. Lightening was constant and items in our site were blown in the opposite direction of where the trees fell. Explain that one.