Tornado in Luxembourg

July 31st, 2012 at 9:08 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

A rare tornado hit Luxembourg on Saturday.  The twister hit in the town of Weiswampach in far northern Luxembourg.  This is a screen grab from this YouTube video by Cris Schrieken The tornado appears to me to be maybe a low end EF1.  According to this web article “the worst weather fell on Friday (knocking out power when the opening ceremonies of the Olympics were underway) when emergency services were called out about 80 times due to flooding or fallen trees.”  Fell is kind of an interesting verb choice.

My father is 100% Luxembourger.  Both my grandfather and grandmother were born in Luxembourg (in the towns of Bisschen and Vichten).  Luxembourg is slightly bigger than Kent County (998 sq. miles vs. Kent’s 872 sq. miles).  The population is 512,353 compared to Kent County’s population of 608, 453.      Thanks to my Luxembourg facebook friend Pol Henrotte for giving me a heads up on this one.

7 Responses to “Tornado in Luxembourg”

1. TomKap - Grand Rapids (Michigan & Fuller) says:

I agree about the use of the word ‘fell’ – I like it.
    A decent choice since English is ‘not’ their language.

2. Hudsonville Barn Cat says:

The word “Luxembourger” reminds me of the old joke about President Kennedy’s famous Berlin Wall Speech, where he declared in German “Ich bin ein Berliner” — translation “I am A Berliner”. The story goes that after hearing Kennedy say those words, the great Groucho Marx said “Thank God he’s not giving that speech in Hamburg or Frankfurt!”

Get it? I am a Hamburger! I am a Frankfurter!

That, my friends, is comedy gold.

3. Nathan says:

Wow, that picture you posted of the tornado in Colorado is so cool! It was taken 12,000 feet in the air! And it looked like it was very well formed. How strong was it?

The Mt. Evans tornado was rated EF0 with winds of 65-85 mph.

1. Nathan says:

How do they know that? Do they just look at the damage from the twister and come up with an educated guess or use radar estimates?

4. Mike M. says:

Luxembourg? Isn’t that a type of smelly cheese?

5. Alger Dave says:

So that’s where the Steffens come from. Most of us in W. Michigan are from a little NW of that country, including myself. Good to know that Luxembourger is a word.