Art Prize Winners

October 5th, 2012 at 8:54 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

“Elephants” by Adonna Khare is the (people’s vote) winner of Art Prize.  You can see her work at the Art Museum.  Second Place goes to Song of Lift by Martijn van Wagtendonk in the UICA building on Fulton St. and the Third Place award goes to Frits Hoendervanger at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel for Rebirth of Spring.  Displacement at Site Lab (the old Public Museum) wins the Juried Award.  The Prize Awards for the People’s Vote are $200,000 for First Prize, $75,000 for Second Prize and $50,000 for Third Place, and $5,000 for 4th thru 10th Place.

12 Responses to “Art Prize Winners”

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

I voted for rebirth of spring. Quite a moving piece. Elephants was good, but just seemed to overcrowded with to many things.

1. Kimoeagle says:

I agree.

2. Chris says:

thats what made the Elephants drawing so special because of all the other animals and objects she drew….Such wonderful detail in everything that is why I voted for Adonna…..Way to go Adonna Congratulations!!!!!

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I like song of lift a lot!

3. John L says:

So where the heck do we find a list that actually goes beyond 3rd or 5th place? For crying out loud it would be nice to see at least how the top 10 finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t think they announce who came in 4th to 10th place…we just know that they were in the top ten and we know the top 3 in order.

1. Missy says:

Didn’t they post the rest of the top 10 in finishing order last year & the year before? Or do I remember it wrong?

Yet again – the program revolving around this announcement, is “strange”. Maybe I’m just not “arty” enough (and I even enjoy ballet!) but watching the dark “ninja dancers” on the dark stage, passing an enveloped back and forth for 20 minutes – and having the winners announced in 3 minutes flat – well, the ONLY reason I even watched was because there was NOTHING else on TV. And the *theme* rock music sounded terrible and was just discordant.

I would much rather have more time devoted to the artists who win – what they had to go through to get their piece to Art Prize – what they’ll do with the money – how they like Grand Rapids?

For something that’s so well-done, fun and exciting as Art Prize, to end on such a sour note (IMO), is a letdown.

5. Vicki (Holland) says:

Yay! Congratulations Adonna! I loved and voted for “Elephants”.

6. Sandi says:

Thrilled that Rebirth won 3rd…all three big winners were awesome. GunLakeDeb I have to kind of agree about the program though. Really strange. And the music was weird.

7. SHIRLEY says:

WISH,,, I COULD SEE THE WHOLE SHOW!

8. Julia says:

I thought that elephant picture was cool!