Northern Lights have been out this evening!

October 8th, 2012 at 10:33 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) have been out tonight.  However, we do have some clouds overhead, but it might be worth a look to see if you can see them. .  The Kp index was up at 6 – now back down to 4, so it’s weaker than it was earlier.  Here’s the NOAA Aurora site.  Check out this picture tonight (10/8) of the Aurora from New Auburn, Wisconsin.   Here’s another pic.  More from Kansas, Utah and Colorado.  WOW!  Check out this picture of the Northern Lights in Norway Plus the blue glow of bioluminescent dinoflagellates (more pictures here).   A Coronal Mass Ejection hit the Earth’s magnetic field around midnight last night, sparking this evening’s aurora.    (just a generic picture here on the blog of the Northern Lights from Alaska)

18 Responses to “Northern Lights have been out this evening!”

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

None over here… I checked from 7:00 all the way to now, and I haven’t seen any. I’m guessing its cloudy.

We’ve had reports earlier this evening from Ottawa, Allegan, Barry, Montcalm and Clinton Counties.

1. Mark says:

Hi Bill,

I was looking around on your links to see if there was a way to get notified via text, email or otherwise of space events such as metor showers or northern lights. Do you know if that is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Go to http://www.spaceweather.com On their home page, they have a link to sign up for aurora alerts: text, voice.

2. Betsy says:

We saw them earlier tonight (about 8:45ish) in Montcalm county. It was very clear out then, now clouds have moved in. Hoping to see them more tonight.

3. Barry in Zeeland says:

Saw them earlier tonight from about 8:30 till 9 or so. I was out raking leaves in the dark and kept looking up because I knew there was a chance tonight. They were real bright for a short time with some tall spires shifting back and forth, then they came and went for a while till the clouds moved in.

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

Kp just went back to 6……might have to drive southeast a ways.

4. Beth Albert-Quinley says:

Driving north on I75 south of Midland they were spectacular! It was as if we were driving into the lights!no color but long, deep spikes of light. They were across the entire sky.

5. Laker says:

Saw them really well north of Rockford.

6. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Missed them :-(

7. greg says:

saw them monday morning at about 5 am when the kp was at 6… very faint though. just a green glow.

8. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Bioluminescence – Several years ago I was at a resort in the Eastern Mediterranean with a sandy beach. The resort’s “Disco” was right on the beach. We would take a break from dancing and walk on the beach at the water’s edge. If you were to turn around you could see your footsteps glowing in the dark! Pretty cool.

Steelie

Listening To : Jackson Browne….. Disco Apocalypse ! ! ;-)

9. caroldee says:

WOW it’s sleeting and snowing little pellets in Rockford..10 Mile rd area..I can hardly believe it!! Now THAT is cold!!

10. Frank Olsen says:

Thanks for sharing my picture of the Auroras and dinoflagellates. It was a fantastic experience having a green glow both in the sky, and at my feet, as well.

- Frank Olsen, Norway