New apps for woodtv.com

November 28th, 2012 at 1:35 pm by under Inside WOOD TV8

WOODTV.com has provided news, weather and information to you through mobile apps since 2009. Over the years, we’ve released several upgrades to our mobile apps to help support new devices and their new features.

As part of a continuous drive to provide our viewers with the most innovative news coverage across all devices, we’ve significantly upgraded our apps in the last few days to take advantage of exciting new features of mobile devices.

This also means we’re asking you to install a new app on your iPad, iPhone or Android device. To install the new WOODTV.com app, you can click through to get the iOS version or the Android version. You’ll also want to delete this current app to prevent confusion and to continue to receive the same level of coverage you’ve counted on from WOODTV.com.

Some Frequently Asked Questions
Where are the school closings? These will appear when closings are in effect. When that happens a big red alert symbol will appear at the top of ever page. You can tap the alert symbol to see the closings. Additionally, you can find the alerts by going to the Weather section in the Menu.

Where are the weather alerts? Just like school closings, the weather alerts appear when in effect. The big red alert symbol will appear at the top of every page when this happens.

Where is the back button? In the upper-right corner of every story page is a grey triangle that can be tapped to go back. In future releases, a back button will be added to the bottom of the page.

Why is the Menu button so small? It appears to be smaller than it is. You can tap the WOOD logo to activate the menu.

Why are we changing?
The app you are currently using is being discontinued in favor of a new app from WOODTV.com. To continue receiving all the news, information, weather alerts, closings and more delivered right to your device, we are requiring users of our older apps to install a new one. This means users of our tablet, smartphone and mobile apps will now receive the same features simultaneously with each new release.

Why can’t I continue to use the current app?
WOODTV.com strives to provide the latest technologies and take advantage of the latest features of cell phones, smartphones, tablets and eReaders—all in a single app that works across all devices. Unfortunately, the app you are using is incompatible with this goal. It is being disabled and will no longer receive new updates and news from WOODTV.

What do I need to do?
You’ll need to install our new app on your device. To install the new WOODTV.com app, you can click through to get the iOS version or the Android version. You’ll also want to make sure you delete this current app from your phone or tablet to prevent confusion so that you can continue to receive the same level of coverage you’ve counted on from WOODTV.com.

What’s new about this app?
We’ve listened to our viewers, and added the features that prepare you for your day—by providing up to the minute weather alerts, closings, and news alerts—all in the palm of your hand. Some features and improvements include:
Easier to use: We’ve improved every aspect of the new app—from the navigation to the display of stories. Larger images and headlines, one-click video, succinct and easier navigation and easier-to-find related stories.
An improved weather experience: Our new and improved interactive radar provides FutureCast, animated radars, tons of additional overlays (including snow totals, rain totals and temperature forecasts); an improved forecast page and nearly instant severe weather alerts to keep you and your family safe.
A more robust app: We’ve introduced lots of new features, such as live streaming, breaking news alerts and an improved weather experience. Not only have we introduced new features, we’ve upgraded our app to allow us to add new features without having to upgrade your app.
ReportIt! integration: Now you can submit photos, videos and news tips directly through the app. Now, when you snap a photo of a weather or news event, it’s even easier to send in your news directly to our staff.

37 Responses to “New apps for woodtv.com”

1. Lisa says:

I am unable to upgrade to your new app. I am also unable to use the old app because it shows that I have to either upgrade or quit. I just updated my itouch to the latest update – looks like I need an iphone to get your app – which I dont have and am not buying. I had to go with WZZM 13 news app. I am dissapointed.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Lisa — out of curiosity what device are you using? If the app doesn’t work for you, you can go to http://www.woodtv.com on your Safari browser. Once there, you can add a shortcut icon to your splash screen. If you do this, the site will work and look just like an app.

2. LarryD'Haem says:

New mobile app is terrible will not down load to my device keeps telling me that I need an iOS update that is not available… I tried several times without success….. no tech support tech support tab at the App store takes you to an “error” page time to move to another news provider

very very bad

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Larry, do you still have this issue? The latest iOS version is 6.

3. Eric says:

I was wondering if there are any plans to listen to the users of the new app and delete it. The app is horrible and useless. It redirects you to advertisements, is not user friendly, and is slow. If there are no plans to change it, I will just delete it and use a different news agency to get my news.

Eric Wiler

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Eric – we don’t plan to go back to the old app. The bug you mentioned has been fixed with version 3.0.2 of the app. We are working on other ways to make the app more user friendly and faster. We appreciate your feedback.

The new Android app is awful. #1: Really? A parallel installation, rather than an upgrade or overwrite? Major amateur hour. #2: Can’t speak for all Android version, but on a Galaxy S3, there is no exiting the app, be if from the menu or even the back button. Have to go to home screen manually, which also sends any other apps to the background. 3: The settings bar offers only options to change news push. Nothing for preferences, and the bar is too tiny. I don’t know if you QA or poll your apps, but this is a joke. Because of this, the Wood TV apps have been recycled and cleared from all my devices. Please, show a little bit of professionalism, Wood IT dept.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Jack — thanks for your feedback. To point #1, the app was developed by an entirely new company, which required the parallel installation. To point #2, we hear you on that issue and are working on a fix. Overall, we appreciate the feedback and will continue to develop our product to satisfy users.

2. Tim says:

Yeah…I have android issues too. I was forced to upgrade and it crashed immediately. Have not been able to get on at all.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Tim – We have released an upgrade since you wrote. If after upgrading you still see the crashing, can you let us know what phone make/model and version of Android you are using? That info will help us fix the issues.

5. Tara says:

New app will not even open on my LG Enlighten. Very disappointed, I used to use the old app everyday, now I can’t use it at all. Guess I need to find another news app.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Tara – since you wrote, we released an upgrade that should work better for you. If you still run into issues, please let us know what version of Android you are using so that we can fix it.

6. Mickey Dotson says:

I installed the new WOOD TV8 app today. Please give me back the old one! The new one will not run on my HTC Incredible 2. All I get is the splash page and then it takes me back to where I started it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail.

I am currently using the WZZM app which isn’t as good as the old WOOD TV8 app.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Mickey — Sorry for the trouble.

Have you updated to the latest version? It should be 3.0.3c. We find that it is resolving the crashing issue. If you are still having this trouble, please let us know what version of Android you are using. We want to fix this for you.

1. Mickey Dotson says:

I downloaded and installed the latest version available to me (dated 12/20). It still does not work.

My phone is the HTC Incredible 2 running Aadroid version 2.3.4.

I’m now using Mlive’s app until you get this fixed.

7. Shamrock says:

How about concentrating on just getting a decent news production without any sound / video problems? As of late, your production quality is sub-par and highly irritating. Your quality is sure slipping….forget the app…

8. melissa says:

I am not able to open your new app. I tried uninstaling and reinstaling serveral times really disapointed

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Melissa – the latest version for Android is 3.0.3c. The Apple version has also been updated. Both are running more stable.

9. Ed says:

I just downloaded it again since they say it was fixed. Still don’t work right so I uninstalled it and loaded a different station that works right. Too bad I always liked the old app but don’t have the time to deal with the new app. I may try and reload it again in a month to see if they debugged it.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Ed – The latest versions are out for Android and iOS. If you upgrade, you’ll likely see less issues.

10. HH says:

The new app for the iPhone is terrible. I do not believe that it is easier to use. In fact, the menu and home screen are much more confusing. The app also freezes all the time. Only way to unfreeze it is to completely delete the app from my phone and then reinstall it. I have now done this several times. I too am done using the WOODTV app.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

HH — I’ve seen the freezing myself. However, I was able to minimize that issue by having the latest version installed. When it does freeze, if you just close the app completely — even removing it from running in the multitask bar — it will run normally when you restart the app. We are working on fixing this issue.

11. Barry says:

Could you add a back button at the end of the each story so you dont havet to scroll back to the top to access a new story.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Barry — Good suggestion. We’re going to make that happen.

12. Jim Lowther says:

I have downloaded and deleted this app three times. It freezes up and I can’t close the app.

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Jim — Have you deleted the old version of the app? Some people say once they do that, the new app works fine. If still a problem, can you share with me the make/model/Android version of your device? That will help us track down the bug.

1. Greg says:

I have downloaded and deleted AT LEAST three times, and does not work! the app will begin to load up and then will Auto-close. Thats it….

I am using an HTC Incredible 2 – Android 2.3.4

Is there going to be a new update to correct these issues? or can I go back to the old app that actually worked? Frustrating!!

1. Dave DeJonge says:

Greg — Sorry for the trouble. Thanks for the details on the phone. We are working on a new release to correct the issues. The old app no longer works and should be deleted from your phone — some people have said doing this clears up issues with the new app.

13. Mark says:

The app still isn’t working for Droid Incredible 2. It presents a splash screen then closes. I’ve tried multiple times, and finally unstalled it.

14. Mike - Kalamazoo says:

This used to be my go to news app on my HTC Thunderbolt, but since upgrades it will no longer work. Have tried the latest version and still get message that I have no data service. Really enjoyed the old version, new version is unusable as is.

15. Don Vrablic says:

Just re-installed new version of your app on my Galaxy SIII. Will delete it again, as I have to re-start my phone to exit the app. The old app was much better.

16. Greg says:

Do you guys EVER plan on doing something about this app? Look at the the reviews on the Google play store, they are terrible!! I have tried so many times, and hoped you guys would fix this app, with no avail. I guess I have waited long enough, time to switch to WZZM (where their app works!)

17. Maria says:

Hi… I just uploaded your new update of the woodtv8 app for iPad and unfortunately all I get is an error message… The last update was not great since the pages would freeze or I was unable to scroll through all of the closings but now I can’t even open the app!!! I though updates were supposed to make something better not worse!!!. I am currently using an iPad2, iPhone 4S and my kids have ipod touches… I am NOT going to update them until I see this app work better!

1. admin says:

Maria,

At the time you updated, our server was down. That was an unfortunate coincidence. It seems to be working much better now.

Dave DeJonge

18. Beth Meekhof says:

I have an Android phone and can’t get the WOOD TV 8 app to open. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and still won’t open. Any suggestions?

1. admin says:

Beth – There are a few combinations of hardware and the Android version that don’t work well with our app. It sounds like this is the case with yours. You could try the mobile web version at http://www.woodtv.com. It’s virtually the same things. We expect to release a new app in the next month that should resolve your problem.

19. Meagan Denison says:

I use the wood tv 8 app quite often but am unable to watch live feed or video because the volume doesn’t seem to work on my phone. This problem has always occurred – nothing I seem to do fixes the issue. Is there anything you can suggest? I don’t have cable and would love to be able to watch the news in the morning on my phone.