Great Lakes Water Levels

December 10th, 2012 at 10:30 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Lake Michigan/Huron is down 2″ in the last month and is now down 17″ in the last year.  The lake is now 28″ below the long-term December average and very close to the record December low level back in 1964.   The other Great Lakes have not seen quite that big a drop.  Lake Superior is unchanged in the last month and down only one inch from one year ago.  The lake is 12″ below the long-term average.  Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are both down 2″ on the last month.  Lake Erie is down 23″ from one year ago, but is only 7″ below the December average.   Lakes Erie and Ontario fluctuate at a much greater rate in the near term.  Lake Erie was well above average one year ago.  Lake Ontario is down 14″ in the last year and is 11″ below the century average.  Grand Rapids had only 0.49″ of precipitation in November, the 3rd driest November ever.  That followed a very wet October with 6.32″ of precipitation (3.06″ above average).  Grand Rapids has actually had above average rainfall over the last 22-months combined.  I have not had the time to research precipitation throughout the Great Lakes basin, but it’s puzzling to me to see such a drop when you see overall precipitation closer to average.  I’ve had people tell me that they are pumping more water down the Chicago River to keep the level of the Mississippi (I could not find any evidence of that) and that the dredging of the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers has allowed more water to escape to Lake Huron.  I’ve also had people ask if there is a “hole” in the bottom of the lake where water is escaping.   Here’s a plot of ice cover on Lake MichiganHere’s a plot of each winter from 1973-2002.   The water level of the lake reached its lowest point in 1964 and its highest level in 1986-87…now down in 2011-12…about a 23-year cycle of late, though that may mean nothing.   If and when I have time, I’ll do some more scouting around and see what I can find.

172 Responses to “Great Lakes Water Levels”

1. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

Dredging + Chicago river reversal + companies removing water + low ice cover the past few winters + dry summer = current record lows

I have definitely been drinking more water as I get older. We had perfect timing to not launch our sailboat for a couple of years.

Time to start watchin next Tuesday time frame for a BIG snow storm rolling right up over the Ohio vally that would mean all snow for West Michigan!! Stay tuned INDYY…..

4. Barb says:

We’ve had above-average temperatures so more evaporation, plus haven’t there been large periods of time between rainfalls which could also add to evaporation.

5. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

It Snowed last Saturday here, only a Dusting if that. Few Flakes yesterday. This Winter so far is BETTER THAN LAST YEAR on the Snow Department!!!!!! Who would of thought that 2 back 2 back no Snow Winters!!!! everyone keep saying Cold and Snow is coming!!!NOTHING HAPPENS! LOVE THIS WEATHER SO FAR !!!!!!

CUE: bruce hornsby, bruce hornsby and the range, the way it is – YouTube
    ► 4:39► 4:39

We had a wet October, yes; but as someone who’s constantly watching the levels of rivers – I wasn’t seeing the usual spikes in water depth that normally come with heavy rains. My theory is that the ground was SOOOO dry after this past summer’s drought – that the rain was soaking into the ground and not running off. The wetlands were dry, so they were sopping up any water that came along. And if the rivers didn’t spike – they didn’t deliver the much-needed water to the Big Lakes.

I doubt the bottled water companies are that big a problem, because they contribute to the “Water Cycle” – we drink the water…yaddayadda and we all know where it goes from there. HOWEVER – there are a LOT of oil and gas wells up north that are using as much as a couple of million gallons of water to “frack” with (and each well can be fracked many times). Once that water comes back up, it’s contaminated; and Michigan EPA Law says it must be disposed of in deep wells way below the depths of any groundwater tables. Essentially, being taken out of the Water Cycle for eternity. Granted, a couple of million gallons sounds like a lot more than it really is – but there are tens of thousands of wells up north; and if I remember correctly, 80% of them will get fracked. Is fracking *causing* this? Probably not – but taking that much freshwater out of the ecosystem sure as hell isn’t helping :-( We need to push for alternate fracking liquids, like propane, which can be used as fuel after fracking, according the Nat’l Geographic.

Here’s a map of JUST Kalkaska County. Each square represents a well drilling site; and since the shale they are drilling into is easily fracked – you can assumed the majority of these are consuming freshwater that will never be returned to us again.

Here’s all the oil and gas wells in Michigan – there’s about 16,000 active wells at the moment

But something I just noticed – when I first was doing research on this last summer, the permit application numbers were in the 60-thousands. I think they started drilling/keeping records back in the 1940′s? So it took 70 years to get to 60,000 permit applications.

Since last summer, the number of permit applications is now over 120,000. It has DOUBLED in 5 months?????!!!!!!

8. arcturus says:

NOAA: The Arctic lost more snow and sea ice between October 2011 and August 2012 than any year other on record.

Using a 1979-2000 average and ignoring the Antarctic…

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

and the fact that it’s already back up to normal.

2. arcturus says:

We’ll just ignore the records then. Smart.

1. arcturus says:

And what of the other 13 arctic regions representing 85% of the remainder?

Hey, check out the RECORD ice extent in Antarctica! http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/S_timeseries.png By late February, the ice was already increasing! The ice at the South Pole has been growing for 25 years! http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

2. Mike M. says:

Maybe the oceans are boiling over then…

Sorry, guess not.

9. seabass says:

Rtw kills Michigan headline 5 to 10 years from now if u can’t see that I feel sorry for you SYNDER KILLS MICHIGAN that might be better

1. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

I feel sorry that your MEA sanctioned education couldn’t teach you proper grammar or sentence structure. You’re embarrassing yourself.

1. seabass says:

Comes from a man who is for rtw and careless whathappens to his fellow people who gives a buck about sentence structure how about starting to care about ur neighbours,workers and friends. If u want to live in a poor state and feel wealthy above others go south u would be much happier there we here in Michigan should understand that even if u are not union that union keeps ur wages up and health care that’s why I say rtw kills Michigan, within 5 years people will see there wage and health ins going away but for u I am sure u will still have a smile on ur face as the rest of us suffer

Come on pick on

1. seabass says:

I hope u get off to this tonight u can go tell all ur friend how bad ass u are pointing out sentence structure

2. michael g (SE GR) says:

Union mentality at it’s finest.

3. seabass says:

What’s wrong with fair wage and ins. Michael

4. michael g (SE GR) says:

I get both, with no union. Becuase I PRODUCE.

5. Mike M. says:

What’s wrong with punctuation, seabass? Are you a public school teacher or something? :)

Meanwhile back to the weather! I am ready for winter. Lets get this party started. I am ready to ROCK n ROLL. Houston we have one problem – we are still in a NO SNOW PSATTERN with no change in sight!!

11. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

10 days from tomorrow’s these lakes won’t even exist

Deb – what on earth are you saying?? That in ten days the Great Lakes will disappear? Oh good grief – you’re not even a good troll…..

1. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

The world is going to end!

I wish I had a nickel for every time the “World was going to End”…… ROFL!!!!

2. Mike (Mattawan) says:

lol….. the world is going to end in 10 days. Whatever you say ;D

2. Judy says:

The Mayans have never said that the world is going to end….only that there will be a fundamental change in life the way we know it. That could be something like a solar flare that takes out satellites and the electric grid….it would take a long time to recover and there would be chaos in the meantime. It could also mean first contact with aliens…..not that it hasn’t happened already and our government is keeping quiet….but maybe first public contact. Lots of possibilities with what the Mayans actually predicted.

1. Mike (Mattawan) says:

you know whats funny about this whole end of the world thing….. they have the wrong date. HAHA. The end of the world “would’ve” REALLY been around July 25, 2011. This is the logic around it: LEAP YEARS were established around 45b.c. under caesars reign… thats a ways AFTER the mayan calendar was established (around 3372 BC) . Factoring in all the leap years that have passed since the intro of the leap year it was near 500 extra days added. Sooooo REALLY the “end of the world” is 500 days late apparently. haha……. theres that and also the whole it doesn’t go along with the Bible but I’ll leave that one alone.

12. bnoppe says:

just a quick note folks….12Z data from the Euro has trended the system a little south while GFS has taken it slightly north this could mean a chance at some LIGHT acc next weeked

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

With that big high up by Hudson Bay feeding in the cool dry air from the east, wouldn’t be impossible to see some freezing rain problems too.

The 2 inches of snow that was prediced for GR for yesterday by many people was a 100% bust! Actual snowfall total was a whopping trace! The “cold and snow is coming” HYPE that we have been hearing for about the last 6 weeks is a bust of epic heights!

1. bnoppe says:

Yes so far it has been rather :( there are some indications that JAN could be better see http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/updated-winter-forecast-model-is-stormier-in-the-east/2558096 however we’ve seen this joke before… It will snow at some point and maybe alot but for the short and midterm NADA

1. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

Bnoppe you seriously believe accuweather?

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Let’s see…..who should I listen to….Accuweather or Crazy Deb…….hmmmmm……..

A question mark?? You found a question mark and used it properly???? OMG – there IS hope for the educational system of OKC….

3. Ryan (Algoma) says:

Jordan did.

4. bnoppe says:

The Question should be. Bnoppe you seriously believe in the Euro that far out? and to that ? no but we need somthing to look towards not saying it will happen, but you never know

5. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

I guess that is true but still accuweather is wrong 99% of the time!

6. bnoppe says:

Deb the only thing ACCU gets right is the current condations

A joke is right! That sounds familiar – when and where have we heard that before? Let’s see we have heard this exact HYPE for the last 6 weeks from just about every major weather site in America! Oh by the way we also heard this all last Fall and Winter. The beat goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on!

Beautiful! :)

2. SWKent says:

How old are you Jack…….somewhere between 15 and 18 I would guess.

58.. BAD QUESS..!!!! SW KENT. ;-)

And How Old Are You….. SW Kent ?

And Your I Q… Is What ?

14. bnoppe says:

Well lets look at things this way, we’ve been saying that the Storm Systems thus far have been showing Cold and Snow to soon and they eventually trend warmer. However for SAT it has started Warm and is begining ever so slowly to to go colder, I’m not saying that it will happen but maybe this is just mother natures way

Yes this is definitely possible, however I would give it about a 1% chance!

Funny!

1. I think she still goes to school. I thouth I seen in one of her comments last week about missing school. Oh well they both could be her on her good days and bad days.

BIG SNOWS COMING TUESDAY !!!!!! FROM GETTING READY TO YELL IN LANSING TOMORROW GO HOME SNYDER !!!!!INDYY…

1. Ryan (Algoma) says:

INDY… Colts are gonna win the Super Bowl!

No, because one of the teams playing tonight will be in it.

ROCK ON INDY. You are the MAN!!!!!

16. Uncle sparkee says:

Well my little weather hobos, your ol uncle sparked hands hurt from the big trim today! Your ol aunty Edna is doin the log run tonight. Gots to keep the ol shanty warm and rockin. Sparks jr checked in from tn gettin ready to head north. He’s bringin some new Tennessee green and something he called eye bleeder. My brother hank is headin to the capital tomorrow, hes in the union and is ready to bust the barricades. I told him don’t call me to come fetch him out of the stoggy, I’ve got 60 more days this damn dog collar the state put around my ankle. Can’t leave the farm! Dress warm my little union hobos its going to be a cold one tomorrow.

1. Uncle sparkee says:

Your ol uncle sparks sure like the tn Xmas sign. Lookin forward to get sparks jr up here fur a couple months. He sure knows how to make my holidays smokin! And my daughter in law is easy on the ol eyes.

Easy on The EYES !!! Is This HER ( daughter- in law ) ???? http://blogs4sense.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/marijuana001.jpg

Verry nice keep them coming uncle Jack!! INDYY

I’ve said before that long range models are mostly for fun to look at for me. But if they were trustworthy, the 12Z GFS gives us a big snowstorm Christmas eve.

1. John (Holland) says:

That would be fun and perfect.

18. Michele L says:

So what does that mean Uncle Sparky we are going to do Christmas at your place in Badwin??? Indy, flying back in from Florida on Christmas Eve…what are you predicting??? Hold your snow off until we fly out next Wednesday my favorite brother Indy!!! :) Are you drinking a couple Sprites tonight??

Getting ready to head to Lansing to march with 10,000 workers!! INDYY..

Interesting during the Presidential election you were promoting Romney and the republicans – now that Synder and the republican controlled house are trying to destroy Unions, you are against Synder. Very interesting?

19. Hello everyone! It’s time for me to get on your bad side by posting conspiracy stuff about the Great Lakes! But hey, there IS actual proof to back this up if you know where to look. Anyway, this show is entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCZxdSJ_cxI

1. I don’t buy bottled water because of the that.

2. Mike (Mattawan) says:

thats an interesting video

20. Zachary Lassiter says:

Tornado video from Florida Earlier today near Orlando

21. Sprites says:

That band of Lake Effect is starting to look interesting. Areas south of Holland might pick up a couple inches.

Yupp feels like winter outside it’s cold 29* right now out thee YARDofBRICKS just watched a great movie Miracle it’s about the 1980 USA hockey team wins the gold! first time since 1960 USA beat Russia Herb Brooks what a great coach what a great movie died making that movie lived it never saw it!!! I am sure only a few of u remember that day 1980 !!! Thee weather is going to get crazzy around Michigan we will be having a white Xmas this year BIG storm coming next week get the hats gloves and muffs out …Back to the sprites like uncle sparks smokes his pipes!! Stay tuned INDYY…..

Oh Yeah , 1980. 1 of My Favorite Olympic Moments…Yes… http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/1aL_qICPSgs/hqdefault.jpg

1. SBPortage002 says:

I saw that game on TV…truly incredible feeling when we won. Also saw the movie, so good, Very proud of that moment still.

23. Uncle sparkee says:

Your ol uncle sparks sure likes the way some of you hobos appreciate the greener things in life. We all need the sun and rain for different reasons, your ol uncle sparks needs it to make money. And it makes things grow that makes your ol uncle sparks and aunty Edna and sparks jr and all the kin happy. Lets keep it mean and green for the holidays , god willing and god bless you all!

CUE: John Hartford – Granny Wontcha Smoke Some Marijuana – YouTube
      ► 2:59► 2:59
      May 24, 2011 – Uploaded by davies511
      From the album “Nobody Knows What To Do” – Flying Fish 1976 this ditty has disappeared here …

1. Uncle sparkee says:

Ohh yeah! A green Xmas for all

CRANK THIS 1 UP U. Sparkee + INDY and SING it with ME….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YywFjQzatlQ

like it I just fell of my chair!! INDYY

Look’s like a good lake effect band from S. Haven, to Benton Harbor, down to Niles. Anyone in the area have an update.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Missing us AGAIN in Muskegon……… Urgh…. :P

25. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Does anyone know of places where I can write weather reports? Wood tv?

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I guess that goes to Bill or another commenter

1. Bnoppe says:

Nate- you said earlier that you just got your license so let me asume that your either a sophomore or a junior. 1 piece of advice one of my friends is really into the weather and he’s looking at CMU they have a great weather program there

SURE.. On BILLS BLOG…Write AWAY .. ;-)

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

No, like official write ups?

1. Bnoppe says:

If you take some time and write something up that involves research and real data. And send it into bill maybe he would post your work in a blog ppdt

Have you Checked with any of Your Teachers (science) NATHAN ???

You may have to become a trained weather spotter. Just a guess.

4. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I know, I want to be a meteorologist. And to achieve this goal, I’ll need tome experience.

Nathan.. Did ya Get to DRIVE inSnow Yet ? Just Wondering. ;-)

Hey rocky u don’t know what I am going to do in Lansing so why guess ??? I can vote for Romney and not agree with snyder the nerd !!! what about u one day rocky hates snow next day rocky want’s a snow storm hmmmmm u better check your self!!! INDYY!!

27. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Hmmm, I wonder if the little system/moisture out in Wisconsin will enhance snowfall around here as winds turn SW. A West Michigander can only dream…

28. bluewind says:

So now that synder has gone after US Veterans and their money and unions,I wonder what he will want money from next? Orphans? Scumbag.

1. John (Holland) says:

Oh dear God. Snyder isn’t taking money from unions. He’s securing people’s right to get a job without having to first pay the mafia’s entry fee.

To put it boldly, your exactly right, John.

2. bluewind says:

Are you dumb? Do you not realize what unions do for workers? Take your GD silver spoon out of your fat face and wake up.

1. John (Holland) says:

Lol. Yeah. My grandpa was a lifelong Teamster, and he hated unions and all they “do for workers”. I know all about the Mafia, trust me.

Silver spoon? That’s hilarious. I’m below the poverty line, for your information. I wouldn’t give one of my precious red cents to those corrupt organizations. Yet they want a monopoly on certain industries. It’s about time someone stood up for worker freedom.

If you want to be in a union, great. But don’t force me to be if I don’t.

2. John (Holland) says:

But again, Snyder isn’t taking anything away from unions, except their stranglehold on workers rights.

29. Skot says:

Off topic a touch, I just want thank the majority of Michiganders for turning there backs on the very hard working folk that built this country and passing the ,”WRONG to WORK” law. Can we now please Poop on our Veterans also?? More than we have already? Love,
    Skot. xoxoxoxoxoxox.

1. Skot says:

Lower wages, pay for insurance more than we do and NO Christmas for our children next year. Romney won !!!!!

1. John (Holland) says:

Is that what your union masters told you to say?

1. bluewind says:

John is a dumb GOP pig.

2. John (Holland) says:

Are you going to send the Mafia goons after me? Should I expect a horse head in my bed tomorrow morning?

2. bluewind says:

synder = republican. How does his actions surprise you?

1. John (Holland) says:

Unions and Democrats have had free reign of Detroit for decades. How’s that working out?

3. John (Holland) says:

Maybe the unions should forget the country and start building that hellhole called Detroit. Oh wait, the unions and the politicians they support are the ones who destroyed the place.

4. Deb says:

The unions are what’s the matter with this state and this country! The demand for higher wages, the demand for paid health insurance. I work for a small NON-union shop, we have not had a raise in 4 years due to business being down. We don’t demand higher pay, we know that it’s better to have a job and try and keep the shop and our jobs then try and put the company out of business demanding higher wages and more health insurance. We see how well that worked out for Hostess didn’t we! Wages will not go down, employers will not lower wages, instead employers will pay employees what they are worth. You work hard you get paid for your hard work. Right to work will bring jobs back to Michigan from Mexico, China and India!! Let’s stop thinking we are all entitled to everything WE want, and look at the BIG picture. You need your job to survive, the company needs to make a profit to survive!

Very well said, Deb. It makes perfect sense.

2. bluewind says:

Spoken like someone who never worked in hot factory that wouldn’t buy a new air conditioning system. You people on this side of the state live in a bubble.

The party is even turning its back on Amash! Good bye GOP. You will NOT be missed.

Yup, and socialism will be the N.W.O.
          You do not know anything about the monster you’re about to encounter. We must look at what has happened in other countries, in the past several years with these same implications. Look at Europe. A lot of that region is experiencing close to 50% in taxes, due to the government’s policies. I also have worked in a hot factory, when I was 20. It was no fun. But it was a job.

2. John (Holland) says:

Yeah, one-party state FTW. Bet you’d like to see a glorious champion of the worker like Lenin or Mao rise up in this country, eh?

30. arcturus says:

Skilling: Chicago now at 281 days without measurable snow, a new record. Lots of records lately, mostly of the warm and dry type.

Yes, it’s called a pattern. Just like when you think mostly out of the left side of your brain.

As of 3/25, Chicago is only 4.4″ below average snowfall. Rockford IL is 5.3″ ABOVE average for the winter: http://kamala.cod.edu/il/latest.cdus43.RFD.KLOT.html From Jan. 1 to March 25, Chicago is 1.4 degrees colder than average.

Synder needs to come outside tomorrow and face us hard workers I can’t wait to yell and scream with 10,000 other men and women who have worked hard all there lifes for a nerd like synder to give up on us becouse he dont know how to make his own choice !!! Lansing will be rocking and rolling tomorrow I am going to have my Bill’s blogg shirt on all the way…..INDYY…

1. John (Holland) says:

Your union will still be there when the law is signed. But don’t make me join it if I don’t want to.

Funny the left is only pro-choice when it comes to killing people. When it comes to school choice, job choice, and everything else, it’s all about forcing people into lockstep and promoting despair and hate.

1. John (Holland) says:

I never realized quite how godlike Dear Leader can look sometimes. Pardon me while I light a candle to him.

1. bobcat says:

‘LIKE’

32. Skot says:

Funny how nobody wishes to chat about how the working class guy got fudged. If I was Big daddy Bill would be all over it.

1. Skot says:

Sorry INDY.

2. John (Holland) says:

I’m working class and I’m thrilled that I’ll soon have more job options. :-)

1. bluewind says:

lol, more job options. I’m sure old ricky boy will turn it around any day now,eh?

Maybe he will build them on Veterans money. Scumbag,POS republican.

1. John (Holland) says:

Go ahead and wave the red flag with your mobster friends. It’s your right. All we want is the freedom to work wherever we want without paying into their corrupt rubbish system.

If its so great to be in a union, lets put it to the test. Let people work beside you in your hallowed factory who aren’t in the union. What are you afraid of? Freedom?

2. Skot says:

feel sorry for you.

1. Skot says:

A raise once every 3 years, no cost of living raise.(COLA) and must pay for OBAMA CARE from your own wage. Tough luck guy. Minimum wage and even less from insurance, Sad Sad Sad.

2. John (Holland) says:

I own my own business. I conduct all my own negotiations and I decide how much money I’ll make. I’d take poverty and freedom over the Mafia masters and their thought police goons.

33. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

Haha you west Michiganders are just having a hard time with snow this year Berrin ( not sure if spelled right) county is now under a lake effect snow advisory for up to 5″ of snow tonight boy don’t you guys wish that was you!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

B e r r i e n County…It’s not hard to look at a MAP for spelling. You could have also looked at the advisory itself for spelling. Wow, just wow.

1. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

Well sorry didn’t know you we’re going to be so upset and I even said don’t know if I’m spelling it right!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I’m not upset at all. If you didn’t know the spelling, why didn’t you just check it? You had enough time to babble about us missing snow, but were too lazy to spell the name correctly? It’s just a matter of whether you want to be an intelligent, learned poster…or somebody everybody laughs at.

2. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

Well anyways!

34. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

It’s amazing to see what different NWS offices have to say…. Northern Indiana NWS says a decent shot at good accumulating snow next week while in GRR they say a decent shot at significant rainfall it’s amazing just peer amazing wonder who will be right?

1. John (Holland) says:

Grand Rapids and northern Indiana are 100 miles or more apart. Different places have different weather. On Sunday it was raining here in Holland and 5 miles away it was snowing.

35. Deb (Oklahoma City) says:

It’s pretty damn cold here tonight! Only 26 right now in Tulsa and I here it could get down to 15 wow it’s colder here than their!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I m glad Im not they’re. We we’re going too travle their, butt we was knot going two go if it we’re like that. I hope my pet hair dont freeze in her cage?

1. Allendale says:

Lol…she probably doesn’t get your intention of mis-using words to show her stupidity cuz her brain is so numb for how cold it is there.

LOL Matt, how’s that global warming working out for you Deb. Colder in OK, then west MI right now. Huh.

3. bobcat says:

Rolling on the floor laughing!!!…..

2. bluewind says:

**colder here then THERE,not their,you moron.

1. John (Holland) says:

Are you always so excitable, or only when the Internationale is playing nearby?

36. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I am really liking that band of snow forming in Wisconsin. I am holding out hope still for a surprise.

Aw, shucks, it looks like Oklahoma City’s average chances for a white Christmas are less than 5%. I am glad I’m not “their”.

:P

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Lake band getting pushed eastward. Hopefully it doesn’t fall apart.

Matt, your sarcasm/humor has not been taken lightly by some on here. :(
      It’s great. :)

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

:) are you referring to The Rock and Debbie Downer?

A Fitting Song, For The Comments TONIGHT’ S . IMHO….CUE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVOR28iG_o

38. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Just a thought… None of this should be any suprise what so ever. Prop 2 was voted down opening the door for RTW legislation. What does this mean? Afterall, was it not the people of the State that voted down the proposal? Hmmm…

Steelie

But they did not vote for RTW either…..

1. Steelie says:

Good Day,

That may very well be true Jim. However I have a strong feeling it gave the “green light” to at least persue RTW legislation, if you catch my drift. Hereis the language from Prop 2:

This proposal would:

Grant public and private employees the constitutional right to organize and bargain collectively through labor unions.

Invalidate existing or future state or local laws that limit the ability to join unions and bargain collectively, and to negotiate and enforce collective bargaining agreements, including employees’ financial support of their labor unions. Laws may be enacted to prohibit public employees from striking.

Override state laws that regulate hours and conditions of employment to the extent that those laws conflict with collective bargaining agreements.

Define “employer” as a person or entity employing one or more employees.

Steelie

39. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Back to weather… Indy, calling Indy (hehe). You mentioned next week Tuesday – now keep in mind this long term forcast is still a week out and it most certainly will change many times over, but… (Let’s not get too excited yet.)

“THE NEXT SYSTEM MOVES INTO THE AREA IN THE TUESDAY TIME FRAME. IT IS
    WILL HAVE TO WATCH THIS SYSTEM OVER THE NEXT FEW MODEL RUNS TO SEE
    IF THE ECMWF REMAINS CONSISTENT WITH IT. IT COULD BE OUR FIRST AREA
    WIDE SNOWSTORM.”

Steelie

40. Steelie says:

Good Day,

A thought on hydrology… You know, I am wondering if a warmer than average Winter would actually be a good thing (hydrology/drought) for our area if we recieve normal to above normal precip. In other words, if we have a warm enough winter where the ground does not get a chance to freeze as it would normally that might allow for liquid precip (rain or melted snow) to penetrate the soil and hopefully begin to re-energize our aquifers and re-hydrate our soil(s). If the ground is frozen there is no place for the water to go but to behave as run off. Hmmm…

Steelie

41. Judy says:

The Corps of Engineers are only supposed to siphon water off of Lake Michigan at a certain rate. Are they exceeding their limit these days? I would venture to say so….just so they don’t have to dredge the Mississippi.