How much snow do you have?

January 21st, 2013 at 10:43 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

6.5″ of snow measured in Jenison.  Also 8″ in Grandville, 5-6″ in Rothbury, Ceresco, Dorr, Zeeland, Byron Center and Richland.  4″ to 6″ in Otsego, Bauer, Cooper and near Jackson.  Leave a comment with your snow measurement.  The Lake-Effect Snow Advisory has been extended to 5 PM.  Add:  5 days of snow in the U.K.   Seven deaths have been caused by the snow and ice in Great BritainHere’s U.S. and global record highs/lows.

183 Responses to “How much snow do you have?”

1. Mike in Hamilton says:

just measure 5 1/2 in beautiful, downtown Hamilton…

1. Skot says:

Geez, I hope you melt with the snow and dry up and disappear like a fart in the wind.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Mean, but very funny.

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I had 0.9″ Sunday. 3.5″ Monday morning. 0.5″ during the day on Monday, and 1.8″ Monday evening. 6.7″ total, with right around 5″ on the ground. There are some good 12″ drifts along virtually every road in the area.

I was guessing maybe 7-1/2 for us (total), based on the amounts in the driveway when I shoveled yesterday, last night, and again this morning. I’ve got some 18″ drifts at work (on a hill, with wide open fields to my west)

It was a balmy -8 this morning at 7:30. The dogs didn’t dawdle during their morning potty break…LOL!

But there’s hazy sun and fluffy snow and no wind to speak of – it’s a beautiful morning, IMO!

3. Shawn In East Muskegon says:

A regular observer of Bill’s Blog…..a rare contributor, but want to report located off Evanston and Mill Iron in Muskegon….shoveled three times today…I would say a good 7-8 inches of snow…wind swept yes but tried to clear a spot on my deck and I would say that was close to an accurate total…..definitely LE snow….light and fluffy

4. Same here Travis were prolly pushin 7″ its looked like a blizzard all night and driving is VERY tough!

5. Battle Creek- i94 says:

5.5″ down here so far.

Sir, BILL… Isn’t the Blizzard of 1978 Anv. Coming up, if my Ole Memory is Correct, it’s Jan. 25-27 ????

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Wednesday, January 25 through Friday, January 27, 1978.

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

For two days in January, the snowstorm raged on, dumping 30 or more inches of snow in some areas and paralyzing traffic. Winds gusted to 50 miles an hour, closing all major and secondary roads in several counties, and wind chill factors fell to 30 below.

1. suehelen says:

We were snowed in for a week. I was in high school and I remember it well!

My Dad, a smoker, flagged down a snowmobiler and bribed him with a $20, to go pick up cigarettes….LOL!! They lived next door to me (Gaines Twp), and a drift formed between the houses that was about 20′ high and about 70′ long!

3. Irish coffee says:

Ditto that for my folks in Mattawan ..Deb, they were both 2pack/day smokers….and thankfully (for me a 14 y.o who didn’t want to witness parents’ nicotine withdrawal) a snowmobiler was more than happy to deliver smokes for the week!!!

2. Bruiseviolet (Cedar Springs) says:

Love hearing stories from my mom from this storm. She was pregnant with me and they finally had to send my uncle on a snow mobile to go get my dad from work (he had been stranded inside North Kent Mall for 2 days)and bring him home.

1. Skot says:

Two days later my brothers were doing flips off the house roof into the snow drifts.

I have a photo of our family doc on his snowmobile in front of our house. He was making housecalls to the neighborhood. Those were the days….

3. Clara says:

I was 3.5 years old at the time of this blizzard. I have a picture of me, bundled up like the stay-puft marshmallow man (as mothers were wont to do back then), next to a gigantic snow drift in our driveway. I remember playing on it, sliding down the “hill”.

7. Bruiseviolet (Cedar Springs) says:

You all are so lucky! We aren’t getting any snow here. We’ve had a measly dusting at best.

8. Skot says:

Colder than Walt Disney’s pecker tonight.

9. AssClown says:

I left Texas for this? Who said there were jobs here? What you say? Right to work State? Who is Governor Dick Biter? Obama can make it snow? Huh? Isn’t He the guy on TV today? Were I come from We have oil rigs every 100 yards. I thought Texas WAS in America. Then why are your gas prices so high? Ohhhhh…..Obama again?

10. Me :-) says:

It’s c.c.c.cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Allegan Joe says:

I Agree…wind chills made it Worse…Brrr… :( :(

11. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

06Z NAM run looks great for another bout of heavier lake snows coming up. Pretty much the whole lakeshore looks to pick up another 6 inches…

12. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Clear skies here at my place this morning. Temp was already -4 on the mercury thermometer at 4:20 a.m.

13. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Just now hit -5.1 below zippo here. Has been back an forth between -3.5 & -4.7. Now it’s -5.4.droping like a rock. Maybe a 1/2 inch of snow here on the ground. Nice and toasty.

14. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

About an inch of snow cover here. Would like to see how low the temp could have gone if we had a good 8 inches of snow on the ground!

Maybe an inch here.

-3 right now. Man, I forgot how what this kind of cold feels like. Sure enough, I really didn’t miss it.

16. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

I did hear a sound last night that I have not heard in about 2 yrs,snow squeaking under foot and tires. Ya know it’s a bit chilly when you hear that. I am now at-5.8, and hit -6.2 three mins ago. Nice moon and star right next together earlier.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

yep! driving the plow truck through the lots is loud as heck with the squeaky snow!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Good thing I don’t live near any lots….

I am happy you finally have some work again!

1. Todd In Nunica says:

Yea usually by this time of winter im ready for spring, not this winter.

17. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Although nothing for snow up in Cedar Springs, apparently enough in Rockford for that school to close…………Chandler Woods is CLOSED, I knew I should have slept through my snooze, something told me to but I didn’t and I missed the call, got in the shower came down and saw a message on my answering machine, Going back to bed!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Maybe it is for the cold?

1. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

The message we had on our machine was that Fruitport was closed because of the wind chills. I have to think the roads have to figure into the decision somewhat though.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I would also think for the visibility…. It has been ver low.

The road salt is mostly ineffective at these temps! Allegan County is spreading sand at the intersections.

2. Todd In Nunica says:

Im happy just got done plowing and my kid has a snow day!!!! Not going to have to be up in 1 hr to bring her to school!……lol

3. :) says:

Rockford Public has school. We don’t have much snow at all…it must have closed because of the temps.

18. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Lincoln Lake south at m-44 closed. Crash at 7mi. -6.3 degrees now.

19. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

Lots of schools closing due to wind chill… WOOD TV8 is trying to keep up. Not sure why the list isn’t auto-refreshing.

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Wind chill. Funny. Back in the 70′s, sometimes the busses would not start and they were 3 hrs late. You stood there the whole time waiting. If you were froze stiff,the thawed out kids would get off the buss and carry you into the buss. Pants froze to the waist from snow just getting to the bus stop. Your rubber 5 buckle boots were froze shut and you had to wear them thru gym glass. By the time you got home it would be 10pm before frostbite went away so you could do homework.

1. I remember those days. The good old days.

20. Yup (Grandville) says:

Oddly enough, this 1 degree morning didn’t feel cold to me at all. Hmmm. I received about 6 inches of snow in Grandville.

The lack of wind makes all the difference, IMO. I was shoveling this AM and wasn’t even wearing a jacket – it felt kind of “nice” :-)

21. William says:

Bill…or anyone else who might know…..

I’m just wondering why the Ludington area is not getting the lake effect snow for the last couple of days ? No lake effect from Shelby to Frankfort…
    Seems like the entire coastline would get snow.
    Just curious.

William

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

I am no expert, but it has to do with wind direction, the distance that air travels over the water before it comes onshore, and where the winds are coming directly onshore vs parallel to the shore from the NW. If you look at a map, the part of Michigan where Ludington is located juts out westward into Lake MI. It greatly reduces the amount of time that the air spends over the water before it comes on shore in Ludington.

Ben,
      Most of the time Ludington is getting snow but since the lake effect clouds are so low the radar cannot pick it up (the two radar are too far away). However, sometimes, as Ben explained, the lake is just too narrow with this wind direction.

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Thanks for clearing that up about the radar. I had heard that before, but I always wonder if the snow isn’t showing up because of the radar, or if the wind isn’t right for snow up there.

3. Mike in Hamilton says:

It is definately snowing up in ludington. Not quite as much, there’s plenty of snow.

22. Rumrunner says:

Just a trace after I cleared the snow after dinner. we did have about 4-5 on the deck from yesterday.

1. Rumrunner says:

Here is Alger Hts..LOL

23. michael g (SE GR) says:

Just under 4″ here total. -1* right now.

24. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Still -5.1 at the moment. Hit -6.3 for the low so far. Great looking sunrise now.

25. Timbo says:

Every time one of these Lake Effect Snow Advisories or Warnings have to be extended I propose the the person who issued it initially be docked a days pay.

I live in South Haven and guess what, look at the temp and the wind and I could tell we were going to have a few days worth of snow. This one has been “extended” what, twice now? Sheesh. Issue it through Wednesday night and then
    cancel it earlier rather than this idiot extend, extend, extend.

I think the docking would save us taxpayers a significant amount of money.

That’s not really fair, because they say Lake Effect is the hardest thing to predict? Yes, one can figure under these conditions we’ll have LE snow – but you can’t predict where a snowband will go. And the bands can be quite narrow – one area can be getting dumped on, and a few miles over, the sun can be shining.

1. Timbo says:

And we now have at least two MORE extensions.

I’d get fired from my job for being this far off.

26. KevinS (Saugatuck) says:

Nice, somewhat prolonged event….
    Damn flake size though is doing us in…

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

That could change by tonight…flakes will likely get bigger.

27. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Was worried pipes were gonna frezze last night, so far so good

-7° over here with only 0.7″ of snow. Other parts of the county got around 4″.

An interesting right up from Milwaukee NWS on COLD air:

“Rare: Milwaukee Low Temp Below 0 °F with No Snow on the Ground (Updated 7 am 1/22)

Milwaukee Recorded a Low Temperature Below Zero with No Snow on the Ground

The low temperature in Milwaukee this morning was -5 °F with no snow on the ground. This is significant as it is relatively rare for Milwaukee to reach or go below 0 °F without any snow on the ground.

In fact, for Milwaukee’s full period of record (1871-2012), on average a low temperature at or below 0 °F occurs around 12 times a year. The last three years, Milwaukee has only reached 0 oF or colder six times. Twice in 2012, four times in 2011, and none in 2010 – each time with at least a trace of snow cover on the ground.

Examining the historical climate record, there have been only 17 instances when the low temperature reached or dipped below 0 °F with no snow cover on the ground. The most recent occurrence dates back to January 20, 2008 with a low temperature of -6 °F. Since snow depth measurements have been taken at Milwaukee, there have been 705 instances where Milwaukee has reached or gone below 0 °F, 688 of which have had at least a trace on the ground. Thus, Milwaukee has had or gone below 0 °F with no snow on the ground approximately 2.4 % of the time.

The record low temperature in Milwaukee on January 22nd is -22 F in 1885. The coldest high temperature on January 22nd is -10 F in 1883.

Note: Milwaukee area’s snow depth records only go back to 1948 and only that time period was used in the percentage calculation above.”

Interesting facts. I said to my wife on the way home from Bay City (where there is about a 1.5″ on the ground) that when we got west of Midland and towards Mount Pleasant where there was just around a trace of snow on the ground and yesterday around 2PM the air temp (on the car) was only +6 that it was cold for so little snow on the ground and sunny. My thoughts were that it could get below zero (looks like it did) even with so little snow on the ground. In fact there was not much snow on the ground until we almost got home where there was 2″ on the ground.

1. 0.0 here in Breckenridge, just southeast of Mt Pleasant, least in the whole state

I dont know how much fell but right now I have 3.2″ of snow on the ground and had a low temp of -1° here in Walker. Right now I am up to +1 with the sun shining thru a slight cloud cover.

31. Jim S (North of Parchment) says:

Total snowfall including daytime snow on Monday and overnite was 7 inches.

1. Jim S (North of Parchment) says:

To be more precise, I measured 5.5 inches that fell Monday thru 4:00 PM.
      Received another 1.5″ overnite.

32. Haanstar says:

I’ve got at least 4 in in walker.

33. Braden says:

Well, Caledonia was closed today, that certainly made my day…now I’m wondering if anybody knows if we’re supposed to get more lake effect tonight with a west wind? If we get a few more inches, I might be able to get the snowmobiles out this year…just maybe…

34. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

Looks like everyone can be happy today! General 2-6″ snowfall for the snow nuts but not as much as predicted for the warm weather nuts. The lake effect snow machine is sure having trouble kicking into gear. You’d think it would be going crazy with as cold temps as we’re seeing.

GR’s up to a whopping, what, 13″ for the season now?

1″ of snow on the ground here… all you Westsiders, I’ll see you at the Detroit International Auto Show before the Redwings home opener tonite!

1. Stephen (North Muskegon says:

I do understand why people like going to auto shows but i hate looking at something i CANT afford lol its depressing

1. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

I agree with that Stephen! Well I guess people can dream….. ;)

2. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

There’s lots of cars at the Auto Show… including all the new models and future concepts of everyday cars! So you can afford plenty of them.

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Great point! I love looking at homes online, determining which one will be my future Bed and Breakfast….until my wife comes up behind me and says “Great! I am assuming you’re getting a HUGE pay raise at work?”

35. CHandler says:

8.5inches in jamestown twnshp

36. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

6 inches of snow so far for me. Listening to the scanner currently..it sounds like a road closure near Sherman in Muskegon due to accidents.

1. Mike in Hamilton says:

US31 is blocked in both directions at Sherman. Just went through there manymany accidents.

1. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

Sounds like a tractor-trailer leaking fuel. Multiple accidents with injuries.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yikes! So glad I don’t have to travel the area today. My school closed for the day, so I am sitting here watching the snow fall. I pray everybody is ok.

31 doesn’t look so good around the area…

37. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

:D Well, my grandkids little snow day dance for today worked! ;)

38. SE GR says:

Just got an update that they’ve extended the LES Advisory again until 7AM Wednesday morning…

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I’d assume it would because of this statement for their discussion at 3am…

AS THE MANITOBA WAVE ARRIVES THIS EVENING WE’LL SEE LIFT INCREASE IN
      THE DGZ AND SNOWFALL SHOULD PICK UP AGAIN AND THE ADVISORY MAY NEED
      TO BE EXTENDED AGAIN.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I would love to it turn into a warning! Or…..does that “jinx” us? :P

39. 0.0 In Breckenridge, well A Trace as we have had a few flurries and snow showers over the past 2 days but nothing to cover the ground in any way, shape or form.

40. Jeff (Portland) says:

Glad the wind has calmed down… But geessh, still froze taking my daughter to school this morning ..Got down to -3 . Brrrrrrr …

41. fred says:

Now, how many of you backseat forcasters were wrong?
    If Bill were a vindictive man he’d keep a tally and publish it at the end of each season with your FAILURE RATE clearly indicated.
    Suffice it to say; The Grand Rapids AREA (standale/jenison/grandville) got a bit more than 1-3 inches of snow.

1. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

I didn’t see any forecast totals from Bill? He just said it would be spotty with some spots picking up more than a foot and 18″-24″ drifts.

NWS has been bad once again, downgrading warnings to advisories right off the start… getting the initial snowfall time way off on Sunday, and then having trouble with the timing of their advisories. That’s lake effect for you!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

The Southwest part of the AREA got more, but the Northeastern part sure didn’t. The GR area is spread out pretty good…so it is no surprise that there are such differences throughout.

1. arcturus says:

Exactly. Hardly anything north and east of GR. Those forecasting a blizzard were as numerous (and wrong) as those who thought otherwise depending on location.

Impact is a significant consideration when issuing a warning or advisory. It’s not only the amount of snow, but the impact on roads – the combination of snow, cold, wind and/or ice. We had some very slippery conditions here in G.R.

42. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS THIS AFTERNOON WILL BE AN INCH OR TWO.
    FOR TONIGHT…ANOTHER 2 TO 5 INCHES IS ANTICIPATED WITH THE
    HIGHEST AMOUNTS FALLING MAINLY WEST AND SOUTH OF GRAND RAPIDS.
    IMPACTS…

43. Nathan says:

Dangerous move by my school today, but I survived the bus ride!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Safe riding! Whatever that means….. :P

44. North side of holland says:

Bill , you should have the Wood TV presenters all stand outside today with a glass of hot water and then toss the water up into the frigid air ,making snow powder is fun !

45. North side of holland says:

I have been boiling water and tossing it out , kids are having fun watching it turn into snow powder

1. SS (Pwell Area) says:

We’ll have to do that today!!! We’ve done that before!!!

2. jtwolters (Holland Southside) says:

How do you make snow powder? Just toss a mug of boiling water into the cold air? I’m so curious about this….

1. jtwolters (Holland Southside) says:

Just did it with my son…IT WORKED! So cool!

46. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

UPDATE

ISSUED AT 1201 PM EST TUE JAN 22 2013

RECENTLY UPDATED TO EXTEND THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY THROUGH 7
    AM WEDNESDAY AND TO THE CANCEL THE WIND CHILL ADVISORY A TAD
    EARLY.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS SHOULD EXPAND INLAND THIS AFTERNOON
    AS IS THE TYPICAL DIURNAL BEHAVIOR… BUT ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE
    LIMITED TO ONLY AN INCH OR TWO SINCE SFC TEMPS REMAIN AROUND 10
    DEGREES. ALSO THE BANDS SHOULD BECOME A BIT MORE DIURNALLY
    CELLULAR… WHICH TENDS TO LIMIT ACCUMULATIONS.

HAVE RAISED ACCUMULATIONS FOR TONIGHT HOWEVER TO 2 TO 6 INCHES IN
    THE ADVISORY AREA SINCE THE DGZ IS RISING BACK INTO THE CLOUD
    LAYER. THE SNOWFLAKE SIZE SHOULD THEREFORE NOT BE AS SMALL/FINE
    LATER TONIGHT AND WILL BE ABLE TO ACCUMULATE MORE EFFECTIVELY THAN
    OVER THE PAST 36 HOURS.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

With bigger flakes, I think someone might wake up surprised on how much snow they receive tonight if it does intensify like they are talking about. Because early Monday morning (between 3 and 6am) we had a little larger flakes, and were receiving 1″ an hour snowfall rates.

1. Nathan says:

I sure hope so!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I agree. Combine the heavy whiteouts we have been getting with larger flake size….and we may be surprised! I hope so…we need one this winter. :)

2. Redd_Leader (Hamilton) says:

Travis, how much snow would you estimate on the ground in your neck of the woods? Me and my son will be heading out with the sleds soon!

1. Redd_Leader (Hamilton) says:

Hey Redd_Leader, why don’t you open your eyes and scroll up a little ways to where Travis already posted his totals!
        ;)
        Sorry

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We have 6″ on the ground right now. I rode the trail from my house and went to the Marathon gas station in Martin right off of US-131, and the fields had some decent snow, but the wooded areas were a little thin, but snow covered. We received another inch over night after I went riding though.

5.4 INCHES OUT THEE YARDofBRICKS BILL…..WE HAVE PLENTY MORE SNOW COMING!! BLIZZARD NEXT WEEK!! STAY TUNED INDYY…..

48. jesse says:

7 inches of snow on the ground 5 miles west of Hudsonville. I presume we have recieved closer to 10 before it blew around and settled. It continues to snow!

49. jesse says: