COLD!

January 22nd, 2013 at 2:06 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

We got down to -2 in G.R., the coldest temperature in two years.  By 8 AM (and it could have gotten a degree or two colder after 8 AM – sunset is 8:06 AM) it was down to -8 in Hastings and Marshall and -7 in Battle Creek.  The lowest I saw in Michigan was -24 at Champion in the U.P.  The coldest in the mainland U.S. was -38 at Babbitt MN.  Not too far north of S. Ste. Marie, it got to -41F at Chapleau and -43 at Geraldton.  The coldest spot I was was at Landsdowne House, Ontario, where it had reached -49F by 8 AM EST.  Here’s the morning low temperature map.   Check out Josh’s pictures of the lighthouse and beach at St. Joseph.   This is the mid-point of winter in terms of temperature.  We’re heading into the brighter half of winter as daylight lengthens.  Snowcover this AM:  24″ Grand Marais, 16″ Alba, 12″ Marquette, 11″ Gaylord, 10″ Boyne City, 8″ Allendale – actually anywhere from 1″ to 10″ in our viewing area.

Here’s pictures of winter in West Michigan, including ice on the breakwater at the Holland Beach and a pair of sundogs in Caledonia this AM.

168 Responses to “COLD!”

1. Christopher says:

Bill noaa says the lake effect snow is going to intensify tonight with 2-5 inches and then 2-5 inches tomorrow is this true?

2. arcturus says:

Lake effect is not spreading, in fact it looks to be contracting. 98% of Kent Co won’t get much, if anything, if this trend continues through the rest of tonight.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I agree! Especially northern Kent, been blue sunny sky for 2 days now.

3. ninifere says:

Already down to 3* here in NE GR….. another cold night!!!!

4. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Not so sure we’ll see much more snow tonight, 00z Nam stops the snow completely overnight, as did the 18z gfs….before the next wave comes in and perks things up tomorrow.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

sure looks to be shrinking (if only a bit) in coverage in the past hr

5. Redd_Leader (Hamilton) says:

We’re at a balmy 13 degrees here.

Watch out – there will be a lot of lake effect snow on Wednesday and much of it will make it’s way into Kent County! Bring it on!!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

But will it make it to our neck of the woods Rocky, I’m up by 17 mile/Myers Lake and it’s been sunny without much activity for the last 2 days.

7. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

1 degree here with light snow. See a wind chill advisory to the North… And chance of that drifting south?

8. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Lol…. I thought tonight was when it was really going to perk up…

I’m no expert, but I would expect the lift/moisture/energy with the next wave coming through to ramp up late tonight, early tomorrow morning. Should be an interesting driving to Grand Haven tomorrow morning for work.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I hope it does right around 5 and then we have another snow day! Too bad I just spent this past weekend planning the rest of the trimester… Lol

So you commute to Grand Haven? That’s quite the winter commute.

I work for ADT security, so I do work all over west Michigan.
          Lots of driving. Sometimes go as far as Jackson, and Cadillac.

9. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

The bands definitely are moving more north to south now.

10. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I just got home from my snowmobile ride. I went from my house and rode on the west loop which goes through Allegan, and to Fennville before coming back towards Monteray. It snowed extremely hard my entire ride. It was at least 1″ per hour snowfall rates, and there was anywhere from around 8″ in and around Allegan, and up to 10-12″ near Fennville!

Central Allegan tends to be the sweet spot. Nice.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Very true. It looks like those areas received 3-4″ this evening alone!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I imagine the West Olive area in Ottawa county has a lot too. There have been bands centered over that area for the past two days.

11. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Here is a picture of the trails just east of Fennville. I was the first snowmobiler to go on the trail after it was groomed. Easily 10-12″ of snow there.

12. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Here is a picture of how hard it was snowing tonight between Allegan and Fennville…

13. Tyler says:

It was -9 last night about 10:00 here in Escanaba. It got down to -15 here and inland areas were down to -19. We got 4 inches of snow last Friday I think so the snow cover we have now was just in time for the cold blast. We had none before last Friday except for the piles and in other shaded spots. Now we have 4 inches on the ground. -8 right now at this minute.

14. Margaret says:

I would expect any schools that closed on Monday to also close on Tuesday. Same terrible cold and crap roads. Wouldn’t make much sense to do one day and not the other.

15. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I received another 3″ of snow from midnight to midnight for the 22nd, giving me 9.7″ since Sunday morning with a current snow depth of 6.8″.

16. Katie in Kentwood says:

I can see the direction of the snow ‘turning’ from south to west on radar…cool!