Great for Winter Sports

January 24th, 2013 at 4:51 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

We’ll see some sunshine today.  While temperatures will be relatively cool, sunshine and light winds will make for a good day to be outdoors.  Friday we get snow.  The NAM Caribou give G.R. 2.2″, Kalamazoo 2.1″, but more snow northwest of G.R. where there will be some lake enhancement.  The NAM gives Muskegon 4.9″ and Ludington 6.4″.  The GFS is 2.3″ for G.R., 5.9″ for Muskegon and 7.3″ for Ludington.  The European would be 2-3″ for G.R., 3-4″ for Muskegon and around 4″ for Ludington.  The weekend should be excellent for winter sports.  We have a big warm-up early next week with a mix to rain Sunday PM into Monday…both the GFS and European have the temperature up to 50 here Tues. night (with a slight chc. of a thundershower!), then a strong cold front sends the temperature plummeting on Weds.   Snow cover Thurs. AM:  1″  Houghton Lake, Brooklyn (Jackson Co.), 2″Ionia, Big Rapids, 4″ Grand Rapids (Ford Airport), Hastings, 5″ Fremont, Baldwin, 6″ Hart, Hesperia, 8″ Grandville (SW side of town), 9″ Scottville (Mason Co.), 10″ Muskegon, Nunica, 15″ S. Ste. Marie, Marquette, Newberry, Munising, 24″ Twin Lakes, 28″ Grand Marais.   Also, it was 27 below zero this AM at Champion in the U.P.  More webcams:  Paradise, Copper Harbor, near Houghton (deer and wild turkey on this camera as I write this) and Naubinway.  Here’s a nice MODIS satellite view of the lake-effect clouds coming off Lake Michigan a couple days ago. Here’s the Grand Haven beach.

61 Responses to “Great for Winter Sports”

1. Skot says:

Lets just savor the only snow we will be getting this year.

2. Yup (Grandville) says:

Don’t forget about winter fest in Grand Haven on Saturday! Cardboard races and all!

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Ugh, how much snowpack do you think will be gone, Bill? We have a foot on the ground with more to come….so thoughts? In a way, a little ice on top of the snow would probably protect it some.

I’m going to live on my snowmobile this weekend! Rain is NOT going to help the trails :-(

On the other hand, I shoveled this morning and am already running out of room to put the snow…have 4′ tall snowbanks next to the driveway.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

While I am so happy there is snow…this winter has been rough for us snow lovers. I agree Deb…get out there this weekend and enjoy it! :)

As for how much of the snow will melt?? If it gets up to 50 with rain well kiss most of not all of the snow pack gone. Lake effect snow dose not do well with warm temps and rain.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

:( I noticed. Some synoptic snow on top could protect it a bit?

4. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Speaking of winter sports, anyone know how much snow is on the ground at Yankee Springs?

Ben – there’s about 6″ on the ground at my house (south end of Gun Lake) where it tends to blow off in the wind. It’s probably deeper in the woods. The lake re-froze a week ago Monday – I don’t know the ice thickness but have not seen anyone out on the lake on sleds or ATVs yet.

1. Paul (Yankee Springs/Barry State Game Area) says:

I’m in the middle of the State Game Area, Ben……I’ll let you know shortly…..

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Thanks! I’m looking for a place to snowshoe this weekend.

Ben – it sounds like you should head to the Allegan State Game Area for DEEP snow!

5. tinainvbcounty says:

Gobles will be having a community snowman building competition Feb. 3-7th. Everyone is encouraged to build in their front yards, and judges will be driving around to see them. Please spread the word! :D

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

In the event of no snow, marshmallows will be substituted…..

:P

6. SW Kent says:

Most ALL snow will be gone come Wed noon.
    Get out and enjoy this amazing scene God has created…….it won’t last long.

If it gets to 50 with rain I agree it will be mostly gone by Wed
      SllimJim

The temp has drop like a rock here and is now down to -3° for the coldest here at my house this winter so far.
    Looks like the snow we have will stick around until early next week and with warm temps and rain (and may be a thunderstorm to boot) I would expect most if not all of the snow will be gone come Wed AM So all of the snow lovers get out and enjoy the snow while its here.

8. Dan says:

After a brief one day warm up, we are right back to cold temps and snow!
    Do you really think our high makes it to 50 with the snow pack on the ground?
    I say, we get to the mid 40s for the high on Tuesday. We will see!
    Has been a nice week of Winter weather! I would guess we have around a foot of snow at my house!

Dry lake effect snow dose not do well with rain and warm temps so yes for the most part if it rains and the temps get into the mid 40′s or warmer then most of the snow will be gone. It should be noted that the snow pack is spotty with little snow to the east (although they too should get some of the snow on Friday) and very little snow to the south and south west of here so with a strong wind yes it could make 50 except maybe not at the lake shore.

The wind chill was brutal outside this morning, much worse than Tuesday over here…

I have a air temp of -3 right now and I only had 0 on Tuesday AM.

Nice. It is 8° here this morning , while -7° on Tuesday, but the wind is much stronger today. My personal opinion from shoveling/walking outside this morning =)

My car was reading -10 around 7:30 this AM – and it truly felt cold until the sun came up! Now, it’s just freakin’ BEAUTIFUL :-) I LOVE winter!!!!!

10. Yup (Grandville) says:

Getting hammered with lake effect in Gary, IN right now. http://www.trafficland.com/city/ORD/camera/11481/

11. Kyle says:

Just drove around our farm this morning and had -8 on the truck thermometer here in the north side of holland

12. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

Well, hopefully it won’t rain next week. Fox-17 shows 38 for a high on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see who is right. I recorded 3.6 degrees this morning on the SE side of Holland. Nice morning though, very pretty out!

13. Dan (Holland) says:

Temp was down to -9 this morning in Zeeland!

Way to cold to reach 50* on Tuesday don’t know why Bill even blogs that!!mY Fforcast look for a 3-6 inches of snow with winter storm watches coming for Friday 1-4 inches on Sunday and a Blizzard on Tuesady the COLD WILL HOLD my friends stay tuned!!!! INDYY…

1. Rumrunner says:

LOL. Another Indyy blizzard watch.

lol STAY TUNED………….INDYY

1. Rumrunner says:

No matter to me. Ill be fishing. If its cold, in the shanty. If it’s warm, sitting on the cooler. Gonna have fun with it either way.

15. Lindie (Twin Lake) says:

Will anyone tell me when you REMOVE SNOW FROM YOUR ROOF? If you hire someone to do it, how much does it usually cost? Thanks!

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, if we get rain next week, and you do have 2 feet of snow on your roof and a low pitch, you might want to at least rake off the first 3 feet or so of snow at the edge of the roof. Snow really takes in water like a giant sponge and can add a lot of weight. Also, that can freeze in and rip off gutters if the rain freezes again along the edges of the roof, or worse, into large icicles. Generally, the steeper pitched roof houses don’t have to worry as much about snow depth.

1. Lindie (Twin Lake) says:

Thanks so much, yup and rumrunner. Hubby and I are in our 60s and disabled, so we think about these things. We have a snow rake but are not able to do it ourselves. Lots of snow on the roof of our shingled-roof mobile home, and though it is slanted there are huge clumps hanging down all over. A company is coming this afternoon to give us a bid and probably do the work. You know, it’s very nice to know for the future just what something like this will cost, and you guys are much appreciated for your advice. Have a great day! Shall I share the price for others who may not be able to do it themselves, do you think?

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Never hurts to know the price range! And yes, I think it was wise for you to get some snow removed in your situation!! If I was closer to you I would stop by and rake it for you myself. Do you have any neighbors around that are able bodied that could help out in these situations?

2. Lindie (Twin Lake) says:

God bless you, yup! What a lovely thing to say! :) Yes, we had a neighbor who was fantastic about this but moved last year, as did our daughter, her husband, and our grandson. There are many people in such situations, so knowing and trying to be prepared is helpful for them. What a kind person you are and brought a big smile!

3. Yup (Grandville) says:

Hey, we have to look out for each other these days! Your words are kind. I feel it is important to watch out for neighbors, especially those that are wise in years. Let us know how the raking goes!

16. Yup (Grandville) says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it Lindie, unless you’ve got 3 feet of heavy stuff up there. Your roof can handle a lot of weight! Worse comes to worse, go to lowes or home depot and pick up a roof rake. I can reach the top of my roof with one (I use one so I don’t get huge icicles on the eves of my roof).

1. Rumrunner says:

+1 on the rake. Cheap insurance. Saves gutters and prevents the ice dams.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Oh yeah.. ice dams can cause a massive and expensive headache!

1. Rumrunner says:

Yup, they sure do. LOL

2. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

Gotta be very careful near power lines when using a roof rake.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Good reminder there Ned.

2. Rumrunner says:

LOL. Good call Ned, common sense is so rare these days, it should be a superpower.

If we hit 50′s Tuesday with rain like Bill says we will have a flood and Grand rapids will be under water No way…..THEEE COLD WILL HOLD AND A BLIZZZARD WILL BLOW!!!! INDYY…

The 6z GFS looks like a lot of rain, but we need it to fill the lakes! It goes cold and stays cold after the rain.

19. Paul (Yankee Springs/Barry State Game Area) says:

Ben in Charlotte…..I’m near the North Country Trail at Chief Noonday Rd / Yankee Springs Rd….5″ on the ground here for snowshoeing…

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Thanks a bunch Paul, that’s the info I was looking for and the exact area I was thinking of too.

20. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

This week was nice, but still looking for an actual widespread synoptic snowstorm of 6+ inches. I can’t recall a year without one…and none in sight the next 16 days which takes us to Feb.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yeah…good thing for this lake effect, or we’d still be at 8″ on the season.

Downtown Chicago is finally getting a little bit of snow from that lake effect band.

22. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

4 days to finally get enough snow, and actually half a winter to get enough snow, and 1 day next week will ruin it all! Last night was the deepest fresh powder I have ever snowmobiled in in my 20 years of snowmobiling! And also, it’s so cool walking in knee deep powder, it actually feels soft on your legs through the snowpants.

Your pictures at Burger King were impressive!! I think I’ll go explore the trails a bit this afternoon – I still need to learn my way around this area without benefit of road signs or the usual landmarks! There’s clearly more trails than what shows up on the DNR trail maps!

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Thank you! It was definitely a night that I’ll never forget. Luckily I know the trails like the back of my hand and know where I’m going. And yes, they have moved/expanded/shrunk the trails virtually every year.

23. Cort S. says:

Today is a good day to look at the visible satellite picture. Watch out for any meso-lows that might develop in the middle of Lake Michigan. Those are always interesting.

3 things you see:

The white in Michigan is snow cover.

The wispy white over Wisc/Ill. are high-level cirrus clouds

The white clouds over the lakes are lake-effect cumulus clouds.

1. Cort S. says:

Here is a satellite picture with station plots and streamlines.

The yellow streamlines illustrate the direction that air is moving.

The swirl in northern Wisconsin is the center of high pressure. Winds at the ground are spiraling out from it clockwise.

Western Michigan has winds from the E, and Eastern Wisconsin has winds from the N or NNW. The air is converging over the middle of Lake Michigan and creating a band of lake-effect snow.

Sometimes the shape of the coastline and differing amounts of wind speeds in different spots can lead to kinks forming along that convergence band. Sometimes those kinks can grow into a medium-scale, lazy rotation… a meso-low.

Here is an image of perhaps the best meso-low of the last decade.
      Usually they are smaller than this one.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Thanks Cort, your posts are always informative and much appreciated!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I LOVE these events.

Thanks CORT, Love the Links, You Share, Always Informative and Great Learning Tools !!!!! :-)

4. Todd In Nunica says:

Think I remember that meso! It dropped south through the whole area if I am not mistaken…..I remember one that set up on some of my accounts , I remember plowing 1 account on Jackson in Grand Haven (south side of draw bridge) had 8-10″ in it and My account downtown Spring Lake (like 1/2 mile away) had 3″….it was Crazy. You could sit just outside the band and see the wall of snow.