Winter Weather Advisory extended…now for Kent, Ottawa, Allegan

January 24th, 2013 at 9:18 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

The GRR NWS has extended the  Winter Weather Advisory for Ottawa, Kent and Allegan Counties until 11 PM.  The Advisory continues for Muskegon and Newaygo Counties to the north.  The Advisory calls for up to 6-12″ of snow from parts of Ottawa and Muskegon counties  north to Ludington and an additional 1-4″ for W. Kent County, with an inch or two at the most as you go SE of Kent County.  Already 6-9″ of new snow today in Grand Haven, Muskegon and Ludington.       The snow will diminish to scattered flurries after midnight and the lingering flurries should end at the lakeshore about mid-morning tomorrow.  We’ll see some sun tomorrow PM.  Another slippery road situation is shaping up for Sunday evening-Monday morning.  We’ll see mixed precipitation developing from SW to NE late Sunday afternoon into Sunday evening.  Some of that precipitation will likely be freezing rain.  Temperatures may only be in the low 30s Monday AM.  Conditions gradually improve Monday as temperatures climb above freezing.  Rain showers are likely Monday and Tuesday in the milder air.  After that the Arctic air is coming back with snow showers and temperatures back to the teens and 20s from Weds. thru Saturday of next week.

Here’s a MODIS Lake Michigan satellite picture from today (Thu.).  Note the open water in Torch Lake, Crystal Lake, the east side of Glen Lake and the smaller lake that Consumers Energy uses for power generation north of Pentwater.   There are high level clouds over southern Wisconsin.  You can see a nice mid-lake band of snow where the air is converging and lifting.  You can also see the ice in Green Bay and up at the north end of Lake Michigan.

12 Responses to “Winter Weather Advisory extended…now for Kent, Ottawa, Allegan”

1. Scott (west olive) says:

Bring on the snow!

Wow, Torch Lake looks ice free. It is a very deep lake, which takes longer to freeze. Always cool images with the MODIS.

The AVERAGE depth of Torch Lake is deeper than the deepest point in Lake Erie!

1. East Muskegon Shawn says:

Spent a ton of time on Torch Lake. Bill is right on.

Torch Lake has a maximum depth of 285 feet (87 m)just off the east end of Campbell Rd. (Milton Twp.) and an average depth of 111 feet (34 m)

Looking at webcams there has been quite the ice build up along the lake shore in the past two days.

*few*

4. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

The latest computer run I saw elsewhere now says 0.8″ for Grand Rapids from this sytem.
    Let’s hope that’s true. I want less on the ground when the melting occurs next week (and a chance for that high temp to go even higher).

5. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

OK, I’ve had enough cold and snow now…….I’m ready for spring! ;)

I had to be at my dentist office this morning (Thurs) at 7 a.m.! I stood outside his doors for about 20 minutes and my feet and nose were numb by the time he opened the doors….only 20 minutes and I was that cold. I’m tired of it now. ;)

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Should have stayed in the car!

6. Randy M (Comstock Park) says:

These MODIS pictures fascinate me every winter, watching the lakes freeze. As said above, Torch lake is deep (by far the deepest inland in MI). Elk Lake just west of it (partially frozen in the picture) is second deepest. Crystal Lake is third, and probably not quite as frozen as Elk because it’s closer to the “warmth” of the main body of Lake Michigan. Of course the reservoir at the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant doesn’t freeze because it gets refreshed with water from Lake Michigan.

7. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Nice consistant snow falling up here, hopefully my husbands Uncle can get my snow blower fixed and I can get my generator up and tested and running just in case we do any any sort of ice storm we are due for one rather it be Sunday or before winter ends.

8. julie says:

Rockford roads are very bad!!!
    It’s coming down so fast the plows probably can’t keep up.
    Glad to get home safe…