Winter Weather Advisory – Monday Morning

January 26th, 2013 at 3:34 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

The  Winter Weather Advisory will continue until 1 PM for Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Mason, Lake Osceola, Isabella and Clare Counties for icy roads from the overnight freezing rain.  Road conditions will gradually improve thru the morning in these areas.   After a cold week, the ground/pavement is cold and roads may still be icy, especially side streets and rural roads, even when the temperature climbs a couple degrees above freezing.   We are still looking at a major warm-up into the mid 40s (northern lakeshore) to mid 50s Tuesday/Tuesday Night – and a major cool down after that with a potential flash freeze and (significant in favorable W-NW flow) lake-effect snow showers from Weds. PM to Friday.  The GFS gives G.R. a high of 54.5 Tuesday, a flash freeze Weds. evening and a high of 19 on Thurs. and 14 on Friday!  The GFS also gives G.R. 3″ of snow from Thurs. to Sat. AM and higher amounts in the lakeshore counties (9″ for Muskegon and Ludington).  The European gives G.R. a high of 55 on Tues. (but only 46 for Muskegon where there is more snow) and 5 above Fri. AM.  Also, as temperatures thaw, watch for ice jams on area rivers and the possiblity of a period of thick fog Mon-Tues. as the warm, moist air comes over the snow and cold ground.  And…looks like another snow dump for the U.P.  The frost depth is down to at least a foot in parts of Kent Co.  Without the insulating snow cover, this week’s cold has resulted in some broken water lines.     BTW – We went to a sushi restaurant for lunch – Beach Boys music in the background…interesting combination!   Also:  Inside Google.

352 Responses to “Winter Weather Advisory – Monday Morning”

1. dereks says:

Heavy snow has been falling for a couple hours now in northeast Montcalm County.

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

All sleet and freezing rain here in Zeeland. We had a few flakes of snow earlier, but it didn’t amount to much of anything. Just checked the kids car outside and it is entirely covered with a sheet of ice. Can hear tree branchs creaking to with the ice on them. Can’t wait till temps hit 50 and all the snow vanishes from sight!

3. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

Wow!!! 2 inches and still Snowing LIKE CRAZY!!! YA BABY!!!……THUNDER SNOW!!!!

4. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

26 and the snow has stopped. Dry slot for me.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

((((SHAKING HEAD & Snickering))) You and me both WW.

5. Katie in Kentwood says:

Raining here in Kentwood now, it was just snowing 10 minutes ago! Pretty cool..

Cort game on great call we have sleet out thee YARDofBRICKS now…. So glad u are a weather nut with the best of us..INDYY..

1. Cort S. says:

TEAM BILLS BLOG!

7. Scott (City of Rockford) says:

Freezing rain and 27 here in Rockford

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Did you guys actually get a couple inches of snow?

2. Todd In Nunica says:

yea looks like we missed out Matt, I see about 1/4″ of a mix of snow/sleet here.

I have 1 lot left to clean up tonight from the Friday storm, so ill be out checking everyone, I do not see anything heading this way on radar unless it reforms. For now looks to be done.

Not sure If we will see anything other than some drizzle and the little bit of snow on the ground will absorb that.

OK LOCKnLOAD now gang make a safe plan I hope u have your flashlights light brites and blankets ready if u lose power stay warm hold each tell storys hold each other and lock your doors …FREZZING RAIN IS HERE AND FALLING STAY TUNED!!! INDYY..

9. Tom L says:

We lost power up here in the Comstock Park area at about 5:20 pm. Luckily it was restored area wide about one hour later. Apparently a car struck a power pole somewhere near 3 mile and Alpine. No injuries were reported but I have to think that it was weather related! The roads are pretty slippery! Please stay off the roads until the “wintry mix” has transitioned over to all rain!! Better to be safe than sorry!! :)

10. SS (Pwell Area) says:

It’s raining/not totally frozen droplets. But the wind has picked up quite a bit. We did get some snow around dinner time.

11. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Picked up 1.5 inches of new snow so far. Still snowing good now. 26 degrees.

12. Ben (Charlotte) says:

Sleet retreat! Back to heavy snow now. 1.5 inches so far. Brought me up to 3 inches total snow cover currently, a season high for me. :)

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Great! I drove across the state this weekend and your area had one of the lower amounts. Cover up that grass! :)

Over 80 Lightning strikes over lk Michigan right now …Could we have a thunder storm rolling in???? INDYY….

14. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

Sleet is back…mixed with a little snow. Still 26 here.

Off Subject WOLVERINES WIN !!! # 1, Ranking coming SOOOOON !! add….GO-WINGS….!!!!!

16. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

It’s quiet as a church mouse up here with nothing going on. Temp jumped back up from 26-28F. (((Shaking head))))

verry heavy frezzing rain right now over the YARDofBRICKS …Stand by 3 mode now!!!!! Dont want a 5 mode thats thee mancave with lots of sprites and no lights!! INDYY..

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Absolutely 0 activity up here. Glad you’re having fun Indy.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Did you get totally dry slotted along with me?

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I sure did!!

2. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

See how dry and wide and open we are Matt http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=grr&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no I cant believe this will go on until 5am, looks to be over rather soon.

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Unreal! I can’t believe some places got several inches and then others like us got shafted. That has been the theme this entire winter. These dry slots. Unfortunately, Chicago to Milwaukee to Muskegon to Mt. Pleasant seems to be in one storm dry slot.

Of course I am happy with the Lake effect from last week…I am just so baffled with the continuous dry slots! Do you have any snow pack?

4. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Some but not much at all. We haven’t been shafted only this winter but for the past year!! Anyway, ok folks time to move on nothing more to look at on radar move on now it’s over there will be school tomorrow for the kiddo’s.

18. nickole says:

stopped snowing after a few inches of snow

19. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Fellow Muskegonites, do you think we will have a snowpack left after this thaw?

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I’m 40 East of you and I confidently say NOPE you won’t, nor will I! It’s going to be another BORING spring/summer severe storm season.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

40 miles East..

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Really? Even with over a foot of snowpack? I know LES melts faster…but you think we will lose it all? :(

1. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Depending on how much actual rain we get, yes. Less rain, less melting. More rain, more melting.

Steelie

2. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Well if you have that much then I can’t answer that but here of maybe 3in of packed snow, yeah I’ll lose my snow here.

2. Todd In Nunica says:

I say no we will not lose it all. I had well over 15″ on the ground the other night (settled down to about 12″ now. then again fluffy lake effect melts real fast.

The ice on my roof is growing BIG TIME last few days, might be nice to burn through all of that though.

It sure will be ugly here next few days though as all the nice white stuff turns to a dirty brown/black color.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

You have lived here longer. I am thinking we could have 4 to 6 inches of very dense snow once it is done. Though, if we get the GFS rainstorm from it’d 18Z run, I think we can say bye to the snowpack.

1. Irish coffee says:

Oh…there is NO doubt- snowpack will entirely melt by late Tue(before then in many locations)I will even bet a chimichunga on it!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

20. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

Another round later this evening?

21. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Slightly off topic but…

Did someone mention raspberry Vodka? A trick I learned almost 20 years ago in my college days working in a bar… Today I would call this the “original” flavored Vodka. The bar carried a nearly full line of Torani syrups. You know, the syrups you normally find in coffee houses or in the coffee section of many grocery stores… Well, that is how we made flavored Vodkas back then. (And many still do today…) They are not that expensive at around $5.60 per bottle (12 oz I want to say). And the syrup isn’t just for coffee and Vodka, you can use it for all kinds of culinary delights such as homemade sorbet, deserts and flavored chocolates, salad dressings (like a fruity vinagrette for example), marinades and so much more! With just a few flavors you can satisfy nearly any flavor craving!

I spent some time in Europe and the Italians had what I would call the original “Red Bull and liquor” drink. Follow me (it was tasty!). Pour a shot of Sambuca. (I guess you could substitute Vodka as some don’t like the anise flavor.) Then add one packet of sugar. Then add one or two roasted coffee bean halves. Drink. If wanted, chase with a canteloupe ball or cube. Repeat. Then be prepared to hit the disco ’till 4 a.m. ;-) (And you wonder why some Europen countries live on the afternoon nap… hehe.)

Steelie

1. Todd In Nunica says:

I had a maple infused bourbon. Now im not a whiskey/bourbon drinker but man that was good. Also bought a jar of cherry moonshine THAT was good as well!

Raspberry Vodka sounds good, although I think I would rather steep real berries in it then filter.

The starburst melted in vodka is pretty good as well! (just have to filter cause the wax does not melt…lol)

since we are on a different subject :)

We have been experimenting with adding bourbon to our maple syrup we produce then re cooking it back to the right sugar level, this has been a huge success.

22. Harry (Battle Creek) says:

This event isn’t over guys. It just started at 6!

Temperature is down to 27° here in the last hour. More precipitation is going to develop with strong WAA and cold air at the surface. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some steadier freezing rain develop over southern lower Michigan and persist for a while.

The SPC believes it will warm above freezing by midnight so who know what will happen. Chicago is 33° but being so close to the lake that’s expected.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

It sure looks like it Harry, at least for us up here in the Northern part of Kent County.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Well I’ll be damned what 10min can make again if you don’t like Michigan weather wait 5min it’ll change and that my friends did, sleeting outside at the YardOfDucks!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Ok, now this is getting comical! No sooner did it start sleeting it stops 5-10 after it began.

2. Irish coffee says:

I wouldn’t count on much ice guys….looks to warm up post midnight w/ plain light rain..though some side roads could certainly be slushy/slippery in am still(ones w/ decent snowcover to start on them)