Lake Effect Snow Warning Continues

January 31st, 2013 at 4:12 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

The Lake-Effect Snow Warning has been extended into more counties (dark green on the map), including Kent and Calhoun Counties.  See radar and the links below.  We’ve already had 6″+ in parts of Ottawa, Allegan, Van Buren – and this is going to continue tonight into tomorrow.  More snow is likely over the weekend into early next week.  The heaviest snow will be in the 12-18″ category with drifts over 2 feet.  More after the news.  Big Wreck on I-94 near Mattawan – 9 semis and 12 cars involved.  There was also a deadly crash on I-75 near Detroit involving over 30 vehicles.  Police confirm 3 fatalities (2 of them were children) and 15 -20 have been transported to hospitals.  The accident happened by the Rouge River Bridge around 9 AM.  The accident was a HAZMAT Level 3 sight due to fuel/chemical spills.  Big News Day today…watch us at 10, 11.      The “Beyond the Violence” special is on WOOD-TV right now (7-8 PM).

156 Responses to “Lake Effect Snow Warning Continues”

1. Harry (Battle Creek) says:

Still pretty surprised with the 10PM update the NWS didn’t drop the warning for Calhoun Co.

2″ in BC. Much less in other areas in the county. 8″ in 24 hours will not be met.

Currently mostly cloudy with peaks of clear sky.

Well Well well look at all the snow!!! 12-18 inches Bills on thee right Track!! From drinking my sprites outside tonight ..Stay Tuned!! INDYY..

YOooooo INDYYYYYY…..A CUE for Your OUTSIDE PARTY******}}}}}. Greektube – Johnny Van Zant – Party In The Parking Lot

►►
      IT’S……….FRYDAY!!!!!!, ;)

3. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Just did my daily snowfall measurement. I had my biggest snowfall so far this winter with 7.1″ for the 31st. That put me up to 30.25″ for January, and 36.55″ for the season. Here’s a pic of how much snow we have on our deck that is decently blocked from the wind.

4. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

I bet the kids will be off school tomorrow….nice long weekend! Hopefully we’re going sledding. Grandkids are getting older now, the eldest just turned 15 and he doesn’t seem so interested in sledding anymore…need to get out there while we still can. :-/ Hard for this grandmother (me) to see them growing up and becoming disinterested in the things they used to do when little.

Unless the snow really picks up overnight there should be school tomorrow, at least in Grandville.

Might as Well , Close up The Honky- Tonks as Well …… ;-)

5. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

When I was a kid in school, when they called off school, you knew we had a major snow storm. Now days, 1/10 of a inch is a good reason to call off school. It also doesn’t take much to call off church any more also. I think schools and churches watch to see who calls off first. We are a nation of wimps. When I was growing up, walking and driving in the snow was a way of life.

YUP, I agree LARRY !!! Those Were The Good OLE Days !!!! All in the Family TV Intro (70′s) – YouTube

► 0:44► 0:44
      Peace !!! ;-)

BOMAN…Heres…….JOHHNY !!!! Carnac the Magnicent with Predictions about Snoopy … – YouTube

► 3:04► 3:04
        This Just 1 Component of My JEM Model..!!! Blizzard Prediction !!!! Enjoy ! ;-)

2. Irish coffee says:

“Driving in snow…..” I remember those days! Horses had NO trouble/problem pulling buggy through 1′+ ! Besides, we didn’t have electricity back then so power going out was never a problem either..

6. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Well what a random band in Kent County… At least we will pick up some snow :)

7. Todd In Nunica says:

Well not too bad plowing, had some areas (east side of buildings and loading docks) with 6+ inches, most areas had 3 or so inches.(some, where the wind really blows had less than 1″)

Now AGAIN, I plowed almost 5″ here in Nunica before I left at 11pm last night and plowed another 3-4 just now when I got home. Crazy the difference between here and the lakeshore. Nice band came through right as I was heading down 104,(about 530) could not see past my truck lights. Now its let up but man that was some snow! In fact I sent a text as I was sitting in my driveway and the time it took me to send it my windshield was completely covered. I see my kid has a snow day today, hope she lets me catch a nap. (at least I do not have to wake up at 730 to bring her to school…THATS always hard to get up after 1 hr of sleep!)

8. Yup (Grandville) says:

Not much snow on my table. We hardly got anything else last night. I’m not surprised though ;)

9. Nathan says:

In class again xD… Heavy snow outside!