Lake-Effect Snow WARNING!

January 31st, 2013 at 4:29 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  7:10 PM – One snow band sits right along I-96 now from Muskegon to Detroit.  Roads are snow-covered and very slippery at times.  Major accident on I-94 near Mattawan.  Multiple semis involved, road closed.  3″ of new snow at the G.R. airport, nearly 6″ at Paw Paw and Schoolcraft.  17″ of new snow at Marquette, +7″ at Traverse City.   Models give us snow more on than off thru Friday with periods of snow continuing through Tues. of next week.  Latest European keeps us below freezing until at least Weds. and possibly beyond that. There’s a Lake-Effect Snow Warning for Ottawa, Allegan, Van Buren and Kalamazoo Counties and a Lake-Effect Snow Advisory for Mason, Lake, Oceana, Muskegon, Newaygo, Kent, Barry, Berrien and Cass Counties.  This is going to be a long-duration event with not only significant snow, but also drifting and some blowing snow.  We’ll also have cold temperatures (in the teens much of the time), strong winds (15-25 mph steady, with gusts to 35 mph, esp. at Lake Michigan) and low wind chills near zero.  For current Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s NAM model snowfall thru 84 hours, the GFS snowfall thru 120 hours and the HPC snowfall predictions. Here’s WOOD-TV Interactive Radar, looping radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Marantha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm total precipitation for W. Michigan and E. Michigan. Here’s data from the mid-lake buoy (not available in winter) and the Wind Map. Here’s local storm reports from Iowa, Western Wisconsin, Eastern Wisconsin, and northern Michigan. Check out these webcams and the Snowman Cam from Gaylord. Here’s current U.S. temperatures.

The overnight European model gives G.R. 0.39″ precipitation and at a conservative 20-1 water to snow ratio, that would be 8″ by early next week.  For W. Allegan Co. it has 0.72″ precipitation which would be nearly 15″.  The NAM caribou has even more snow…thru Sunday AM it’s up to 13.3″ for Grand Rapids and up to 20″ in Allegan Co.   The GFS Caribou has 6″ for G. R. by Sunday AM and 11″ for Muskegon with over a foot in Allegan Co.  BTW, the totals for G.R. are at the airport – there would be more snow than that in western and especially southwestern Kent Co.  This is a long duration snow period and even light snow is going to add up.  The GFS doesn’t take us past 30 until the middle of next week.  We have the lake-effect thru Friday, then a couple of clipper systems.   Also, whoever gets a foot of snow will see at least 2 foot drifts.  I did see a couple of G.R./Kent Co. plows out this morning and the streets I drove home on had all be salted.  Keep up with 24-hour news 8 – we’re in for some significant winter weather thru early next week.

217 Responses to “Lake-Effect Snow WARNING!”

First, Be Safe out There EVERYONE !!! And Great JOB Storm Team 8!! Stay CUED !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

2. tinainvbcounty says:

I was wondering if a warning would be issued, or several advisories issued every 12 hours! Waiting to see what the kids’ school will decide to do….

3. Stephen (North Muskegon says:

Bill do you think Muskegon will get in on the warning eventually since its a Westerly wind?

4. Scott (west olive) says:

Not much going on here. Very windy, seems to be more of a north wind.

5. Wolverdog says:

Blizz… ?

6. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Looks like Kalamazoo county schools are playing it safe. Surprised more schools aren’t closed in the warning counties.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

They will be tomorrow, count on that.

7. Brad (Lawrence) says:

Kalamazoo schools a definately playing it safe. Driving a school bus in blowing and drifting snow, with a bus load of kids is tough and nerve racking.

8. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

Even Western is closed today down there. Is there something more going on? It’s not often that a college the size of Western closes over snow.

9. Randy M (Comstock Park) says:

Did anyone else “pop” their car windows open after temps fell below freezing last night like I did? For some reason I do this to be able to open them after a big freeze, even though I might only need to open the driver’s window for the ATM!

1. Randy M (Comstock Park) says:

I guess if you have a warmer garage, it doesn’t matter- I have a carport.

2. Yup (Grandville) says:

BRING IT!

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Whoops, not sure why this went under your comment Randy :) Need my coffee I suppose.

10. Watchman Tyler (jenison, mi/Ottawa co) mobil says:

Lol, wow my point forecast gives me 15″ between now and Saturday night.

11. Nathan says:

The model that Terri showed this morning was way off btw!

12. Aaron(Kalamazoo) says:

Kalamazoo has been getting dumped on since last night! It’s really bad here,

WOW LK EFFECTT SNOW WARNING AGAIN GRAND RAPIDS 12+ INCHES A COMING INDY IS ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STAY TUNED INDYY,,,,

14. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Did not expect that I would wake up to Western closing for the day. Yay, for a 4-day weekend! I haven’t gone outside to measure it yet, but it looks like 3″ so far. Also, I see that Channel 17 is live from Martin for the snow! That’s pretty cool since Martin is just a little town with 1 stop light, and my hometown.

1. Jordan Donker says:

Here in Middleville its the same way small town one stoplight. :)

15. Travis (Oxford, MI) says:

Winter Weather Advisory here but just dry. 22 degrees. Looking at the long-term, this may be as cold as we get the rest of the way.

Here’s a crazy map. 489 temperature records recorded the past two days.

Nice map. Funny to see about 3 low temps record, quite a front.

Very light snow falling here now with a temp of 20° not much wind here almost calm in fact. Here in Walker I have exactly one inch of new snow on the ground. I would think that here GR the most snow may fall on Saturday if we do get that WSW wind with a clipper system.

THEE SNOW IS COMING DOWN HARD AND HEAVY CAN’T EVEN SEE MY WOODS OUT AT THEE YARDofBRICKS!! OVER 3 INCHES!! BURRR IT’S ONLY 15* WIND OVER 35MPH OUT OF THE WEST WINTER IS STILL GOING STRONG!!!! FROM SOMEWHERER OUT AT THEE YARDofBRICKS,, INDYY,,,,,,

Not sure where your yard of bricks is located but here in the Walker area we are still getting just light snow more like flurries and have one inch on the ground and no wind at all….temp here in 20°
      Slimjim

Northend snowbelt my friend!! I get it heavy off thee mighty grand!!INDTYY,,,,

2″ of snow over the flash freeze ice down here. Heavy snow/ whiteout at the moment. Highways are closed along with even more local roads closed for crashes. Avoid the Ann Arbor area if you are traveling this way today.

The wind is now starting to pick up and the snow flake size is now a little bigger winds here are now around 10 to 15 MPH. While the size is bigger its still just light snow here yet.

Snow a little harder here now at what I would call a moderate rate.

Whoops that was just snow shower as its now back to very light snow here again!!

GRAND RAPIDS GET READY A NOTHER HEAVY LK BAND OF SNOW ROLLING IN!!! INDYY..

22. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Barley snowing here in Ionia, hoping it picks up a little. But it is not looking good for us.

Its rolling your way Jeff…..INDYY..

1. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Your right i spoke to soon, just got an advisory for Ionia plus its snowing like crazy

4 MORE DAYS OFN SNOW COMING STAY TUNED!! INDYY…

25. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Light snow but if you go West on 14mile, from Shaner Westward to 131, then 131 South, it was almost white out. So just 3 mile difference for me of seeing the heaviest but I’m sure as the day goes on it will pick up. I just wish this front would move on through so my body can stop aching my God!! I’ll be quite surprised if my husband plane isn’t delayed but we shall see.

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Hmmmm… maybe that’s why my back is sorer than usual since last evening.

26. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Snowing and blowing like gangbusters since early A.M.!

27. suehelen says:

Very little snow here in Edmore. I don’t look for much at all in this part of the state.

Getting off and on heaver snow showers now at times it snowing rather hard right now nice big flakes but little wind.

LOL! I have the opposite – it’s snowing sideways, but the flakes are tiny. Hope that puts down a nice solid base for us to play on!!

29. Dan says:

I heard the possibility that it could snow from now until next Tuesday. WOW! I guess Old Man Winter just took a little nap for a couple of days!
    SNOW and COLD for us for at least a week!

He’s back with a vengeance, for sure.

30. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Still very light snowing up here with a dusting at 18F. So far my husbands plane is tracking “On Time” :-) Flights coming out of Chicago are starting to become delayed, so since he’s flying into Detroit to GRR I think he might be on time but only time and weather will be the determining factor. I’M SO EXCITED!!!!

1. ~Sherry~ Comstock Park says:

Fun stuff!! I hope his flight is here on time!!

Neither of our airports care about snow. Should be one time.

I’m directly south of the airport – and we only have a couple of inches of snow. The airport equipment can easily keep the runway cleared. Have a happy reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN SNOWY VERRY HARD CAN’T EVEN SEE MY WOODS OR THE SPRITE IN FRONT OF ME !! OUT THEE YARDofBRICKS ….INDYY.

32. SE GR says:

Just about a whiteout near the airport. I can hardly see the building across the street.

Wow, NWS has extended the Advisory all the way over here. You don’t see that often.

Coming down at pretty good clip right now.

34. Nathan says:

I’m secretly typing this in the classroom… Whiteout outside right now!!

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Stay focused Nathan! LOL

LOL! Nathan, our “Stealth Spotter” :-)

35. Brian says:

The snow has picked up over here near 28th and the E-Belt. and 36th.

36. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Drive from Rockford to downtown Kalamazoo took about 1 hour, 45 minutes. It usually takes just over an hour. Roads were not all that bad from 10 Mile/131 until about the Casino exit in Wayland. Then, things deteriorated between there and about Plainwell. Whiteout conditions, heavy snow and blowing snow, cars driving about 30 MPH. By the time I got to Kalamazoo, there wasn’t any snow falling (but a few inches on the ground), but now it’s coming down real good here as well. This whole event should be real interesting!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I’m waiting to see what truly happens once the winds shift more from the West

Yep – that area is known for being a “Persistent Snow Belt”. The D Avenue Hill can offer a challenge in these conditions, too

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Agreed, that typically is one of the snowiest spots to begin with (NW LE bands set up well over this area), and the hill doesn’t help!

37. millekat says:

Snowing really hard and blowing pretty good in downtown GR. The mailman gave me a hard time because I told him Good Mornig and he was wondering if I looked outside…Well, it’s pretty from my vantage point anyhow.

The 6z GFS sure has cooled down from a few days ago. Not nearly as warm across the country the middle of next as it was.

39. Randall says:

Snowing like crazy in Kentwood. Guessing 2+ inches/hour at this point!

40. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

We are getting hit and miss snow here. With this wind, the heavier snow goes inland a bit further from those of us close to the lake. I would estimate about 1.5″ so far.

Heavy snow in Downtown Detroit courtesy of Lake Michigan, nice.

ROFL!!!! Now THAT’S some serious Lake Effect!!!!!!

HAMMER DOWN THEE SNOW IS COMING DOWN…INDYY…

43. Paul (Yankee Springs/Barry State Game Area) says:

Snowing heavily in Cutlerville. A bit breezy, only two crashes so far this morning, guess folks learned from last week…….glad I’m off this weekend.

It always seems to take us a bit to learn to drive in the snow…. or to figure out the car needs new tires…LOL!!

44. Steve says:

Question: How much snow would we have right now in West Michigan if it had been cold enough since late November/early December for all of the rain we’ve had to have been snow and for all the snow we’ve had to not have melted?

45. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Keeps going from neart whiteout to almost nothing here. Wind is blowing pretty good also. Not much accumulation (sorry if i spelled that wrong) here yet but if it stays at it we should get a few inches.

46. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Flakes have increased and probably light-moderate snow when he goes light with the bigger flakes, it is very pretty.

47. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

It looks like the winds are becoming more westerly…watching that band starting to lift north.

48. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Well looked at DET airport and delays are starting to come in, it was at a low but but increasing delays. Chicago has 4.5 rating on delays meaning excessive delay, a few cancellations, one for whatever it means “TAXI-OBSTRUCTION?” anyway we shall see what the next few hours hold for DET airport. So here is a flight delay tracker if anyone else have loved one’s traveling. http://www.ifly.com/gerald-r-ford-international-airport/GRR-airport-flight-status-arrivals

49. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

That band has definitely come up here. Pouring down snow right now. White out.

50. michael g (SE GR) says:

Yep, winter is clearly over.

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Haha, I’m surprised Brad isn’t on here predicting 70′s in February and describing 5 or 6 weeks of warm weather as the “new normal”.