Winter Storm Warning – Will Expire this AM

February 6th, 2013 at 7:32 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Fri. AM:  A Winter Storm Warning has been in effect.  It was a Winter Weather Advisory for the counties along I-94.   Snow is ending this morning and we should become partly sunny later today and we should be partly to even mostly sunny on Saturday.  It’ll be a great Saturday for winter sports, esp. for areas north of G.R.

206 Responses to “Winter Storm Warning – Will Expire this AM”

1. LOOKS LIKE FROM LANSING TO JUST NORTH OF ST JOHNS 6-12 FROM THERE TO CLARE 12+

1. Jeff (Portland) says:

Mark, have a link to that model ? Thanks !

1. Not sure about the 12+ – but I think he is getting his numbers here from the National Weather Service Hazardous Outlook:
        SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL WILL DEVELOP ACROSS LOWER MICHIGAN BY LATE THURSDAY MORNING. NEAR TO NORTH OF INTERSTATE 96…6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS IS EXPECTED THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT. SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 96…UP TO 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE…WITH LESSER AMOUNTS SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 94 TOWARD THE INDIANA BORDER. THIS SNOW IS LIKELY TO RESULT IN VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

1. Jeff (Portland) says:

Thanks Sandy !

2. The National Weather Service numbers seem much higher than Meteorologists in Lansing are predicting.

2. Waiting for the NWS DET to upgrade their counties from 96 / 69 north into the warning, I’m sure that will happen with the next hour.

3. Tyler says:

I bet we got another 2 inches and still snowing hard right now. I think we will end up with 4 inches. We got at least 10 inches on the ground.

1. Tyler, it’s helpful to include your location in your name so people have a ref. Don’t know if you in Jackson or Ironwood ?? just help us to know who is getting what and whether it’s coming our way…

1. Tyler says:

Escanaba Michigan in the U.P.

1. Dan (Rockford) says:

Tyler, I don’t mean to be a jerk, but from now on can you put your city into your name (like I do with mine). That way we will know that you basically live in a completely different weather environment than we do. (And we can then view your comments about your local weather conditions as an interesting sidenote as opposed to being indicatory of anything that we might experience.)

2. Dan (Rockford) says:

(for the record, I don’t mind at all hearing about what you guys are experiencing up there–I just am not smart enough to always remember where you are from)

4. Tyler says:

Hey Bill is there any chance we will see a major snowstorm that is similar to the Blizzard of 2011 affect the Midwest the rest of this winter or any other storm with a foot or more?

1. Yea tomorrow-friday in parts of the area

There going to get a BIG snowstorm in New England! There’s always a chance. We’ve had big snowstorms in the past out to mid-April and 5-6″ snowfalls into the 2nd week of May on a couple of occasions.

3. Judi I says:

For those of you who weren’t born before the real blizzard of 1978-79, you “ain’t seen nothin’ yet”. I remember when we first moved out here to Alpine in ’64, we really had the blizzards where the road graders had to come out and plow, not the ones you are used to seeing now. And they did get stuck at times. There would be so much snow that when the graders plowed, after a time the piles would be over 10 feet tall. There would be little room after awhile to put the snow so the road only could handle 1-1/2 cars instead of the usual 2 going in either direction. Had to stop to let the other car through and hope you were at the edge of the road enough. :-)

5. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

everyones going crazy over nothing right now

6. NWS CHI, now really wishing they hadn’t issued a watch for their northern counties and is leaving a token advisory to avoid going from a winter storm watch to nothing so soon.

1. Dan (Rockford) says:

I guess I don’t get this complaint. Doesn’t a watch mean that it could happen whereas a warning says that it will happen/is happening? I therefore don’t have too much of a problem with them putting a watch in place only to remove it if what they were “watching” for doesn’t actually happen.

7. Wait and see….Bill – do you think we will get some banding? If so – where do you think that will occur?

8. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

From Keith Thompson…

“Forecast models are slowing the system heading our way tomorrow. The result: the heavier snow may not begin until late afternoon, perhaps even tomorrow evening.”

As long as it’s slower over us as well, than slower is better!

9. Tyler says:

Hey Bill what does the rest of February look like? Any more cold air coming down at all?

10. ~ Sandy ~ from DeWitt/Clinton County says:

Rob Dale predicted this kind of timing much earlier today, he also predicts lower totals.

1. Ryan (Algoma) says:

Lol.

11. bnoppe(Albion) says:

lol on the NWS Snowfall map I;m sitting in a cross section of 1-2/2-3 and 4-6

IWS sweet spot DDDDDDD northdoor to sparta east Iownya 8-15 inches coming!! INDY IS READY R U??????

MOST CERTAINLY……..INDY !!!!! Are u READY 4 The JEM Model….CUUUUUUEEEEE !!!!!!! ;-)

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Lay it on us Jack! Cue away.

THEEEEEE JEM. MODELTheme CUE….ISSS THIS ENJOY!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2Or1bVLE0. The TRAIN THAT CONTROLS THE JEM MODEL. !!!! Turn IT UUUUUUUPPPPP

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! INDY!!

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

We all get a free ticket to ride this storm train Jack. Step on board everyone.

AMEN… brother VINCENT !! Praise to The Creator and Master of THE STORM !!!!!! ;-)

13. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

I have the snow removal machine all gased up and locked in 4 wheel drive. Fire wood stacked in the garage. Shovels ready. Beer is ready. So I am ready. I really like a good snow storm. Looks like I may be in a good spot for this storm! Just sit back and watch it roll in.

14. bnoppe(Albion) says:

These are my predictions and I feel as if The heaviest snow will fall across the Mt>pleasent Area with a foot or more possible in GR expect 6-10 near lansing 3-5
    and for us along 94 1-2 tops just a funny feeling that alot of mixed precp is going to mix in at the unslot of things

15. bnoppe(Albion) says:

Still waiting on that Winter Storm Warning here in good old Calhoun

Got me a dirty 90 pk of sprites 60 white castles lots of ice dog food and Bills blogg for this storm with BIG norm we have a coming cues to sues baby INDY has got a 3 day pill down ready to be a tracking clown on Bills blogg!!! INDYY

CAT 3 SNOW STORM A COMING….MAYBE SOME THUNDER SNOW FOR GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN GET YOUR CAMS READY AND YELL OUT HOLY #### CHESTER DID U SEE THAT WOW AGAIN CHESTER “JIM CANTORY BLIZZARD 2010″!!!!INDYY…

INDYYYYYY,,, Stack, Track, Rack,Smack, Heart Attack, Cat 3…IS where it’s ATTTTTT,,,!!!!! CCCUUUEEEEE :::Rock’n'Roll Stormtroopers – (We Are) Ready To Rock – YouTube

► 2:23► 2:23
      PAAAAAARRRRRTTTTYYYYY… ;-)

CORT , That was GREAT, Roflma…( wipes Tears from Eyes ). Laughs Again,,, HAHAHAHa ..Love IT!!!!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

ROFLMAO oh yes got to love the Simpsons!!

2. Rumrunner says:

“I don’t like the sound of that class 3″….
        HAHHAHAHAHA

3. soccermom5 says:

lmao

18. Todd In Nunica says:

radar showing green over me but almost nothing coming out of the sky….

1. Cort S. says:

It’s really fighting that dry air. Virga over all of us this evening; radar showing that classic “donut” when snow is falling from the clouds but drying up before reaching the ground. A burst of heavier snow is moving over your area right now. Muskegon managed to record some light snow in the last hour. Maybe you’ll see some flakes reach the ground soon?

Thanks for That DONUT Link CORT …. CLASSIC !!!! Keep em Coming ! ;-)

2. Todd In Nunica says:

Yea the darkest of the green showing up has a touch of snow hitting the ground, got 1/2 of a dusting (if thats a measurement…lol)

almost enough to cover the car.

Im all snug under a blanket so im not wandering out to stick my finger in it to get an “official” measurement :)

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Haha…

Light snow here with 2 x 1/2 a dusting…. :P

19. Jacob G (Kent City) says:

-SN (light snow) in Kent City

1. Jacob G (Kent City) says:

5″ on the ground, with moderate snow (SN) with 1/2″ of new snow since 1:00 AM.

20. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

No snow here. Just a light breeze going thru the Oak leaves. I have 2.75 inches of snow cover now. I’m thinking this time tomorrow I may have 13.75 inches on the ground. Give or take with the timing of the storm to end.

21. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

Off to Kississimmee FL Saturday!!! 2 weeks!! Temps from the low 70s to low 80s!! I WILL BRING BACK WARM WEATHER!!!!

22. Vincent(N.E.Kent Co) says:

Snowing good here now.

dddddddddddddd, uuuuuuuuuu, sssssssss,ttttttttttt, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, nnnnnnnnnnn, gggggggggg !!!! Here, N.E. Gr. small..dusting.. at that !!!, ;-)

24. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

I bet we get 4-5 when all is said and done. Not many ‘models’ have been right about much in the past few years. Not like any of this is news to anyone here…

25. Yup (Grandville) says:

So, you’re telling me Fox 17′s snow cast was right on last night? OMG….. Ha!

1. Rumrunner says:

YUP. LOL

26. Rumrunner says:

Their “In house Model” you all crapped on looks pretty good right now.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

:) ROFL.

27. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

OMG if this doesn’t happen ohhhhh ultimate FAIL BUST!!

28. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

06Z GFS only gives me about 2-3″….NAM is close to 6″

29. Tom K (Walker) says:

Was just reviewing the local radar. I believe we have a dry slot forming near DeBoer and moving NE toward Banger. Can anyone confirm?

30. Doug Veldhuis says:

Road condition getting bad. all of Zeeland Public school events for tonight have been canceled

31. Judi I says:

I believe we received about 5+ inches from Thursday noon until this morning up in Alpine Twp. The sun is now trying to peek out and hopefully the plows will be here before the mailman comes this afternoon. How much longer before spring comes? Can’t wait!