Snow, Wind and Cold – Wednesday

February 18th, 2013 at 10:19 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  2:45 AM – I’m still here in the weather office going over new data.  Matt is already here working on the forecast for DAYBREAK.  The Euro. gives G.R. another 1/2″ of snow today (Weds.) with 1-2″ possible SW of G.R. in a few spots.  Then it gives G.R. 1-4″ of snow for Thurs. night/Friday with the possibility of a little freezing drizzle.  That could make for slick driving at just about any time Friday.  Snow showers and maybe an inch of snow on Saturday.  The next system on Tuesday looks to be a mix, but more rain than snow for G.R. on the Euro.  New NAM caribou gives the lakeshore areas 1/2-1″ tomorrow with just a dusting inland.  It also gives us 1-3″ of snow on Friday (slick for the morning commute) then 3-6 hours of freezing drizzle (which could make things slick for the evening commute).  Indiana eeks out the win at East Lansing 72-68.  Two of MSU’s three conference losses were against Indiana.  Muskegon got 6.9″ of snow on Tues. – that brings Muskegon’s season snowfall to 77.4″, which is now only 0.2″ ABOVE average up to this data.  GRR NWS reported 1.3″ today and that brings the season snowfall total for G.R. to 46.6″, which is 13.9″ below average.    We’ve had nearly 2″ here downtown.   Temperatures will be in the teens this morning, with wind chills of zero to +5.       Temperatures are in the teens with wind chills of +0 to +10.   At 1 PM Tues., Munising reported a 6-hour precipitation of 1.08″.  I’ll assume that’s too high – if not, that’s an amazing blizzard with a wind steady from the north off Lake Superior at 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph.  S. Ste. Marie reports 0.37″ precipitation in 6 hours and that would be about 7″ of snow in 6 hours.  They had a snow depth of 26″.  Keweenaw Co. has pulled plows off the roads…zero visibility.  Houghton reported 12″ of snow in 12 hours with 3-4 foot drifts.  North of Shingleton they report 11″ in 12 hours.  Chatham had 14″ of snow in 17 hours and Negaunee had 9″ in 18 hours.  Check out the snowman at Twin Lakes – half buried by snow!

For current Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s NAM model snowfall thru 84 hours, the GFS snowfall thru 120 hours and the HPC snowfall predictions. Here’s WOOD-TV Interactive Radar, looping radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Marantha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm total precipitation for W. Michigan.

Model update:  The new 00Z NAM Caribou forecast snow amounts by Weds. PM:  Grand Rapids 3.7″, Holland 7.9″, S. Haven 8.7″, Muskegon 5.5″, Ludington 6.8″, Kalamazoo 4.7″, Cadillac 4.7″, Big Rapids 0.7″, Lansing 1.1″, Mt. Pleasant 0.2″, Pontiac 0.4″.    Here’s the 00Z GFS Caribou…first number is Tues./Tues. night snow, 2nd number is Friday snow (which continues to shrink with each model run):  Grand Rapids 2.2″, 1.0″,  Muskegon 6.4″, 1.0″,  Lansing 1.0″, 0.8″, Kalamazoo 2.6″, 1.9″,  Ludington 7.2″, 1.3″,  Cadillac 4.1″, 1.5″,  Mount Pleasant 0.7″, 0.7″,  Big Rapids 1.1″, 1.2″.     It looks like the European would give G.R. at least 2″.

Thanks to Cort Scholten for adding names of towns to the satellite picture of the G.R. area (Grand Valley shows up in “Laker Blue”).  The drought region of Nebraska/Kansas/W Iowa gets some much needed moisture  (signfiicant snow).  Train plowing thru snow in New Zealand.

292 Responses to “Snow, Wind and Cold – Wednesday”

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

45 degrees at 10pm in GR, 46 in Flint and Ann Arbor… the warmth was underestimated again.

Looking like some nice lake effect potential with those warm waters, while the rest of us will be patiently awaiting Friday to see if the storm can surprise the models. One more storm, and then I’ll be ready for spring!

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I’ve been stuck at 40°, but I still have about 6″ of snow cover and live in the woods. Sure was warmth south of here today though.

2. Aaron (West Olive) says:

I think we will beat the 1/4 inch rain as well. Raining like crazy here and the heavy stuff is still to come.

3. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Just a heads up Bill, your first sentence says rain will change over between 3PM and 6PM…should say 3AM and 6AM.

Looking like tomorrow could be the hardest day to drive all winter, especially along and west of US-131.

I have to drive to Muskegon in the morning. Not looking forward to that. I try to stay off the highways when it’s icy.

1. Nick (Grand Haven / West Olive) says:

Drive slow and watch out for the crazys!!!

4. Nick (Grand Haven / West Olive) says:

Bill,
    What are we looking at for Thursdays skywarn? Its a bit of a drive if the weather is bad!

Thanks!

BTW, still raining lightly here. Lost around and inch or two of snowpack. Can see the grass again now. On a good note, I can see my driveway!!

5. bnoppe(Albion) says:

THE NEXT STORM WILL BRING SNOW TO THE AREA THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY.
    SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS SYSTEM TOO.

What counts as Significant?

1. Nick (Grand Haven / West Olive) says:

as of lately….. an inch? lol

2. Cort S. says:

They might define significant in their mind as something that they may need to issue headlines (advisories) for.

1. I AM GUESSING THAT WE ARE GOING TO GET 4-8 INCHES.

Found This Today. Thought was Kinda NEAT, and Kinda ARTISTIC.. Check it Out ! Video Projector Aimed at Blizzard’s Falling Snow, Results …
    laughingsquid.com/video-projector-aimed-at-blizzards-falli…

7. Cort S. says:

I added counties, cities, and some communities onto the picture of Grand Rapids, taken from the International Space Station:

1. Cort S. says:

There is even a little bit of Lake Michigan in the bottom-left portion of the photo, but the shoreline is hard to define. The bright lights in western Ottawa County are from the J.H. Campbell Generating Complex in Port Sheldon, not too far from the shore.

8. Cort S. says:

You can see the cold front on radar via a sharp wind shift in the radial velocity image. It is halfway between Holland and Grand Rapids as I type this, stretching from north to south. The winds are gusting quite a bit here in Holland.

Link Me.. CORT . PLZ .. Ty. ;-)

1. Cort S. says:

You can see a sharp line that separates bright greens from dark greens in Allegan and Van Buren counties. That’s the wind shift associated with the cold front. It’s knocking on Grand Rapids’ door!

Thanks CORT , that is Sweet ,!! Love it .

2. Cort S. says:

You’re welcome as always. In the last hour, the winds in Holland shifted from S to W, and the temperature dropped from 45 to 38. Here we go, back to winter. I took the opportunity this evening to wash the salt and dirt off my car.

Ya, washed your Car Today CORT . I didn’t because I Think that’s Holding my OLD Beater, Together. Lol. ;-)

2. Derek S says:

Dang Cort, didn’t realize you were so active here :)

9. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

So who thinks the GFS will do a repeat of Friday’s storm with next Tuesday’s storm? Looks very impressive now, but will that one actually hold together?

I guess , I will say . It holds Together . Last week of FEB. Storm. Re: JEM Model. Stay Cued! ;-)

10. WE HAVE WINDS UP TO 42 MPH HERE IN BATTLE CREEK. HOW COME THERE ISN’T WIND ADVISORIES OUT BECAUSE THESE WINDS ARE STRONG.

11. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

So is there lake-effect coming after this rain/freezing rain moves through? Because otherwise I’m not seeing how GR is supposed to get much snow from this.

1. Cort S. says:

Yes, lake-effect should kick on eventually. I don’t think it’ll happen in full force right away, because it’ll take a little time to cool down enough. Check it out… 40s in Grand Rapids and upper 10s in SW Wisconsin. Cold air heading east! http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/analysis/wxobs/index.php?product=image&state=mi

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

We’re sure not going to get what was expected, for starters.
        I’m quite thrilled about that.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

How so? The advisory hasn’t even started yet.

12. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

The wind has certainly ramped up. Its down to 33.6 degrees now.

13. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Windy and down to 34.7° now. The roads will be ice soon.

14. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

The winds sounds like March Winds tonight. Spring type weather not too far away. I have 33.2 degrees here at my location. Everyone be safe on the roads this morning.

GUST OF 30 TO 40 MPH THROUGHOUT THE DAY. THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING
    AND DRIFTING AND AT TIMES WE MAY APPROACH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS…
    ESPECIALLY ALONG AND WEST OF U.S. 131 WHERE THE STEADIEST SNOWS WILL   Near…BLIZZARD BILL CONDITIONS!!!!! Stay CUED !!!! Be Safe !!!!

Jack says:
    February 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm
    Hey BILL !!! Speaking of CONDITIONS !!! Do remember This SONG about CONDITIONS !! CUE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YRVyR-5rQE.

;-)

Big game at the Breslin tonight. GO GREEN.

1. Sparty says:

Go White!

18. Szokoe says:

Bill~will this really be better by 10 am? We are on a delay…..sounds like it might get worse?

19. Cort S. says:

Tons of crashes in Ottawa County right now. Looks like a skating rink out there. Holland is getting freezing rain on pavement. It hasn’t changed to snow yet.

20. michael g (SE GR) says:

A heavy freezing mist with a few ice pellets here. Roads are a sheet of ice.

21. Maxi says:

secondary roads are hazardous from Sparta (13 mile) to Coopersville (48th ave)…leave plenty of time and plenty of space behind the car ahead to get where you need to go.

Hey Swat- zoo !! Ya got your Wish… Chandler Woods Acad. Closed !!! Enjoy ! ;-)

Indy.. Go back 2 Bed ! ;-)

Well folks if u would of listen to Bill’s best last night we told yaa schools would be closed!!!150 car wrecks out on thee highways right now take it slow don’t drink and drive !! HEAVY SNOW IS ON THEE WAY WITH WIND!! STAY TUNED INDYY,,

Indy… SPRITES 4 Breakfast !!!!Hee …Hee ,,,

ROCK ON INDY!! Between the IWS, the RDB model the JEM model and Storm Team 8 you will get all of the accurate forecasts that you could possible need! Keep the COLD and SNOW rolling well into March!!

25. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

None of the schools in my area are closed or delayed today. I have a feeling that once I get out on the roads in a few minutes, I will find that that is probably a mistake. Just letting my dogs out this morning I heard the cracking of ice as they walked cautiously across our deck into the back yard. This will be one of those days where I am not happy that I drive for a living.

Ya baby – Get Ready GR! You will have about 4 to 5 inches of SNOW today with plenty of COLD air and WIND! It will be a great winter day and the COLD and SNOW will just keep coming well into March! Don’t forget the JEM model shows a blizzard next week!!! There is no SPRING weather in sight! Get used to it!

Hey Rockyrock Rockford public would of been closed today if u guys did not have this day off!! GETTING VERRY BAD OUTSIDE OVER 200 CAR WRECKS NOW ON THEE HIGHWAYS!! STAY TUNED….131 AND ANN STREET 3 CAR WRECK!!! STAY TUNED INDYY…

1. Todd H (NE GR - Dean Lake) says:

Indy, where are you getting your traffic updates at?

police Scanner!!! check it out!!!! INDYY..

1. Rumrunner says:

Scanner jockey. LOL Im very glad my shift ended at 5am today. Its a mess.

Agreed. Both Cedar Springs and Rockford had a scheduled day off today. Good call on the school closings! Winter is really rocking and rolling and no change in sight! All of the warm weather nuts and naysayers better face the facts and start enjoying this FANTASTIC winter weather!!!!

1. RJ says:

thought they only closed school with ice???? see many many many 2 hour delays.

A MORNING Cue for BILLS BEST !! PEACE and Be Safe if Ya Have 2 Venture OUT .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RfYS9vp_q0. ;-)

Bills best is doing thee jig to that cue thank u uncle Jack!! INDYY…

STARTING TO SNOW VERRY HARD OUT THEE YARDofBRICKS!!! INDYY…

DITTO..Here N.E. G.R………. Stay cued !!! ;-)

30. North side of holland says:

W/O dropped the ball on us ! Should have closed schools

1. jtwolters (Holland Southside) says:

Yes…it’s horrible out there! Thankful Holland Public made a wise choice to close (they initially were on a 2 hour delay). I think there will be some very unhappy West Ottawa staff and parents today!

31. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Roads from Muir To Portland are a skating rink. Im glad i didnt have to go any farther.

Lots of roll overs and slide offs slow down stay calm and wait !!! THAT KIND OF DAY!!! INDYY…

33. dano (Norton Shores) says:

Freezing mist and light snow 28*

SNOWING VERRY HARD CAN’T EVEN SEE MY WOODS!!! STAY TUNED INDYY….

So much fo that 50* degree temp yesterday!! HEAVY SNOW AND WIND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS OUTSIDE!! John Deshanner just uped his snow totals 3-6 inches today for Grand Rapids on Fox…..He listen to Bills Best!!! Stay tuned …INDYY…

Indy, Uncle Jack has been Up all NITE, just a little Nap. Been a Fun Time tracking and Reading all thee Diff. Models. It will be getting Worse as The Day Progresses !!! Stay CUED !!!!

Uncle Jack stay cued and sleep well my friend let thee snow fall on u!!!See u at noon!! INDYY.

36. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Hey Indy do you think that much of this snow will make it to Ionia? I will be doing some traveling around lunch and am wondering if the roads are going to improve or get worse. Thanks Jeff

With this west wind Jeff take it slow becouse its coming 2 u about 30 min out!! Your roads are going to get worse!!!! Seatbelt 4 sure my friend!!! Stay tuned INDYY!!!

Watching OUT4 U !!!! We are BILLS BEST !!!!! Forget the REST ! Stay Cued ! ;-)

38. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

23.5 degrees here, snowing horizontally. All of my west facing windowss are covered with ice from the freezing rain that fell earlier this morning.

39. Snow coming down like crazy here for the past half hour!

40. All bubbles over Lake Michigan seem to be filling in rather quickly! Lake enhancement at its finest

D Dog Good day to sit back enjoy the snacks an d watch it snow!!! INDYY…

YES YES YES!! INDYY

42. Snowing here now, Note: we had about 5 minutes of thunder last night

43. Dan says:

Bad roads! Don’t even attempt them unless you absolutely have to drive.
    Ice on the roads! I saw several slide offs and roll overs on my way in to work.
    This was a couple of hours ago. BE CAREFUL out there, Bloggers!

44. Meagan says:

It’s still freezing rain/snowing here in Lansing now. Very windy. Roads started to ice up at around 7-8 am here. It’s going to get worse all day. eeek!! :) :)
    So, this next storm system for Friday, though. What’s going on with that one? How much snow are we supposed to get?

45. Yup (Grandville) says:

Snowing hard in Kentwood 44th/Broadmoore.

Down to 25° here now (Walker) getting light snow with wind. Like most other locations had a period of FR so there is ice under the snow. Right now I have a good one half inch (1/2) and have some one inch (1″) drifts in the yard. So far the snow has been mostly light to a few times moderate. But still not as bad as last Tuesday (2/12/13) when it did snow very hard at times with a lot of wind.

47. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Snowing pretty good here in Ionia now, good news is I have saw 2 county trucks in the past 10 mins. No accumaltion yet on the grassy areas as it is still wet. But the roads are starting to get snow covered.

48. Clara says:

It was snow-raining little pellets when I got in my car this morning about 7.45a; then not three minutes later as I was getting on the expressway, it was large clumps of fluffy wet flakes coming down really hard (and that was even while moving at less than 5 mph). Did 20-25 mph all the way here and slid partially into the intersection where I get off the highway. And I was only doing about 10 mph! I stopped for gas and had to lean into the wind to keep from being blown over (I’m quite petite). I also had trouble getting started again from any stops over here around 28th St. It seemed icier the closer I got to Cascade.

49. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

A very happy FAMILY/SNOW DAY today with 7hrs of last moments of family time!! WOOO HOOOOO now we just need 1 more cancellation and maybe we’d have 1 more full day! God answered our prayers, our boys were asking anyway to stay home and we told them they were going to school but when my husband and I went to bed he had 2cd thoughts and told me to turn off my alarm, so I did and got back up and emailed the school “Due to weather conditions predicted and dh leaving we are keeping the boys home from school today.” This was before the school called at 6:44am, I joked with dh and said “Bill said to stay put so we better stay put!” FAMILY 1st!! What is 1 day out of every 3mths???

HAPPY SNOW DAY SWATZOO ENJOY YOUR FAMILY!!!! I AM ENJOYING MY SPRITES !!! INDYY..