Winter Weather Advisory has ended

February 20th, 2013 at 5:31 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

The Winter Weather Advisory expired at 4 PM for Ottawa, Allegan, Van Buren and Kalamazoo Counties.  Only a few flurries are expected, but many side and rural roads still have slick spots. the wind has been strong enough to cause a little drifting snow across mainly rural roads.

96 Responses to “Winter Weather Advisory has ended”

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Surely I can’t be the only one up today. Didn’t seem like too much snow yesterday for Grandville. Must have been all the blowing around.

2. Jerry hoag says:

No I am awake toooooo but yeah where is everyone???????? Did they all fall the edge of the ice bridge or something or run to warmer climates???????????

I can’t wait for it to finally warm up!!

1. Sparty says:

It’ll be here soon…..this will probably be the last week of 20′s for the year. Next week looks to be mild with temps hovering upper 30′s to low 40′s.

3. AJ (Cedar Springs) says:

Travis Ulberg: Your ice skating picture was “photo of the day” on Fox this morning. Thought I would let you know, in case you missed it!

That’s cool! Congrats, Travis!!

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Thank you for telling me AJ! I didn’t get to see that.

4. bluegill says:

About 6″ last night bringing us to 103″ ytd. Lots of blowing, so hard to measure. The kids have have at least one day off per week since Christmas. School may run into July if this keeps up.

5. bluegill says:

(NE Grand Traverse County)

6. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I think everyone is bored like me of this pattern! Except if you’re near the lake that is.

The supposed storm of the year is expected to bring 1-2″ for me on Friday. Burnt by the models again. The system Tuesday looks to be a mix or purely a cold rain according to NWS. And then we stay in the mid 30′s to lower 40′s.

Zzzzz

Wow I have had snow on the ground for over a month now not bored at all wow look outside it’s still snowing and more coming Thursday and next Monday DARN!! Travis do us all a flavor call your brother Fizzer up u need each other !!!! STAY IN TUNED INDYY…

Yeah, we will have had a snow cover over here for over a month. As yes its still snowing (lightly) and we should get more on Thursday night into Friday. Next week it could go either way with the general idea now looking like a cold rain.

7. kevin. w says:

Been very boring in Mt. Pleasant and we’ve had only one big snowstorm and will probably get one more before we turn the corner to spring. Everyday it gets closer and closer.

It still could be a long “March” to spring.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Looks like an average march to spring to me with temps average to slightly above the next few weeks.

Just not like last March!

Cloudy, cold with some light snow falling and a temp of 18° here in Walker this mid AM. Had just over 3″ of new snow yesterday and now have between 4 to 4.5″ on the ground for the most part. The snow yesterday blew around a lot and the left over snow melted unevenly. But for those not in the West Michigan area we still have a lot of large snow piles left over from the old snow. The parking lot piles will stick around for a long time (well into March likely) if not longer. Sometimes it takes a long time for the big piles to melt and its not unusual for them to still be here on the first 70° day on some years. As of now it still looks like a long “March” to spring.

1. cindy (wyoming) says:

SlimJim, I would like to Thank you for your informative posts. You really seem to know what you are talking about.

9. Jim S (North of Parchment) says:

Have a steady snow band here that’s been overhead all morning. Snow is really coming down from City of Kazoo north toward county line. I see via radar that we’re pretty much the only area receiving snow at the moment.

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

I’m in downtown Kalamazoo right now, and that narrow band is producing at least moderate snow with large flakes. It hardly snowed on my drive from Rockford until roughly the Martin exit, where it snowed heavily until Business 131, slowed briefly, and then picked back up as I drove east toward downtown. Still coming down good.

I have no clue how much snow we’ve received – take your pick, the number is either 1″ or 1′, depending on where you measure….LOL! The snowplow went down our street, so that generally means 2+ inches, as measured in more protected spots.

11. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I woke up to be a little surprised, we’ve received 3.1″ since midnight and its still snowing.

12. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

The highest snowfall report that I’ve seen so far was 19.7″ in Round Lake as of 7am. I’m 99% positive that’s in the U.P.

Round Lake is in the U.P. along the Delta/Alger Co. border, roughly halfway between Lakes Michigan and Superior.

13. Steelie says:

Good Day,

Near Breton and 52nd… Well, the “Kentwood bubble” seems to have been in at least partial effect. The wind really kept any acumulating snows at bay. This is not to say that roads weren’t messy last evening, they were. But as I walk around the neighborhood I can’t help but notice all the grass that is poking through the snow…

Steelie

14. Tom in Alger Heights says:

Reporting from Westmont (Chicago), IL. Cold and breezy with winds out of the West. Air temp 17, windchill 5 (feels colder). Looking to the east of the hotel, I can see a bank of clouds over Lake Michigan drifting south. The Sears Tower is highlighted against the clouds.

15. SS (Pwell Area) says:

IT’S HOODIE HOO DAY!!! 12PM

Taken from a couple websites….
    When : Always on February 20

On this winter day, people go out at noon, wave their hands over their heads and chant “Hoodie-Hoo”.

It is a day to chase away winter and bring in spring. After all, everyone in the northern hemisphere are sick and tired of winter at this point and a little crazy being cooped up inside all winter and not seeing the sun.

Did you know? Hoodie Hoo Day is a copyrighted holiday. It was created and is provided, courtesy of the great folks at Wellcat.com

Northern Hemisphere Hoodie-Hoo-Day — At high noon (local time) citizens are asked to go outdoors and yell “Hoodie-Hoo” to chase winter and make ready for spring, one month from now.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

Yea im sick of exactly 1 month of winter…lol

Ill be out in my man-kini at noon freezing my kiwi’s off doing the
      mankini-hoo in hopes more money (opps) “snow” falls from the sky!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Lol. We have had some great events around here over the past month!

I missed it. Sorry. Also contemplating what my neighbors would have thought of me out there, “hoodie-hooing”…. fortunately, I live a long ways away from the nice young men wielding straightjackets….

16. Cliff (Scotts) says:

Interesting how it is snowing here and there is nothing on radar? Just heard something on news how some satellites are shutting down so forecasting will become harder? Next satellite isn’t suppose to go up till 2017, any truth to this Bill?

1. RJ says:

so, forecasting might be better then???! lol

1. Cliff (Scotts) says:

Haha yah or at least they will have a excuse!!! We shall see?

17. Todd In Nunica says:

On a side note, I hope this midwest storm gets moving and out of there as soon as possible, my son has to drive to Colorado this weekend (needs to report to Ft Carson by Monday) I checked all routes he could take and actually its a bit funny, its either 8-10″ or heavy icing…..so either way he is driving into a mess, I convinced them to wait till late Friday morning to leave (they were going to leave REAL early friday morning, like 3am) at least that way the storm will be starting to fall apart and that will give road crews at least some time to clear things out before they drive through.

Hope he has an easy drive. At least they tend to keep the expressways clear, first and foremost.

18. Sparty says:

Where is all the hype about the “storm of the century” this Friday? All I see is a 1-2″ then upper 30′s and 40′s into next week – lots of snow melt and warmer temps on the way!

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

It was dead a week ago…where have you been?

1. Sparty says:

Jim – Yeah I know….I was more poking fun at a few posters stating this storm was going to be 3 feet of snow and blizzard conditions even when the models were weakening.

Fishing 4 blog trouble!!! Good call Jim!!! INDYY…

19. Storm waning says:

Friday is dieing regarding this so called blizzard. WOOD stated this days ago, accepted by most except for those who look reality in the face and deny it.

Long range starting Sunday into next week above 33 degrees.

The days are getting longer and the sun is getting stronger, warm and cold will fight back and forth over the next several weeks, but cold will eventually get KO’d

Spring starts in one month.

That happens in February every year called the turn over turn the page ahhh spring ahead ect ect ect..Wow storm wanning is on it!! INDYY…

Yes one more month of COLD and STRONGROOM after SNOWSTORM!

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

you’re hilarious.

20. Barb says:

Aren’t we still well below average for snowfall in GR? Not that I want any more snow. It’s just so cold…I’m ready for spring!

1. Slimjim says:

For the winter yes, for Febuary GR is above average snow fall wise and below average temp wise.
      Slimjim

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

GR’s at 47″ right now. Seasonal average for GR is 75″.

1. Lets see wasn’t about 3 week ago someone on the blog saig record low snowfall of all time and NO Way GRR would see anywhere close to 40 inches, hmmm I wonder who that could it be, hmmmmm could it beeee ??? LOL

21. bnoppe(Albion) says:

Just another what’s the word…”craptastic” day here in West Michigan,

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Get out and enjoy life.

It is virtually impossible for some people to enjoy winter weather! It is their loss!!

Yes, Spring and Spring weather will be here is about a month, however until then get ready for a lot of COLD and SNOW. It is a great day outside today and we have a lot of SNOW storms coming over the next month!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Teresa says:

how do you figure that one out? crystal ball?

No this is from a very reliable source and this information has also been confirmed by the JEM model :)

1. michigan won says:

Who? Indy? Like the BIG SNOWSTORM you GAURANTEED!!!!!!!! tomorrow and Friday?

You must be another one of those warm weather nuts. Thanks for listening. We appreciate your patronage!!

3. michigan won says:

Your very welcome.

Hey, michigan won…. You must be LOST !!!! The FAMOUS JEM MODEL ( long range ACE ) Still Indicates Snow Storm, LAST Week of FEB.!!!! Also, it is LEANING Towards a STORMY Start to MARCH. So, Pay attention Next Time, and STAY CUED !!!!!!! ;-)

The JEM model ROCKS!!!

6. Bobby (Ada) says:

Fizzled out again lol… wasn’t it the JEM model that ‘GUARANTEED’ tomorrows’ “STORM” was a lock? Just messin with you guys, i need one more good dumping & then some warm weather. My jeep has been bored this year ;)

Nope, JEM model has Been, Saying LAST Week of FEB., That starts Friday ( JEM’ s Favorite Day ). !!! And.,, STAY CUED!!!!!!! 4 SURE !!!!! ;-)

Get that jeep revved up Bobby – you will need a good 4 wheel drive to handle some of the massive SNOWSTORMS that will hitting West MI!!!!

23. Tonka says:

Not a flake for hours in zeeland

Get ready for a a lot of COLD and SNOW! Hey hey, my my, Rock n Roll will never die!!

25. SS (Pwell Area) says:

It hasn’t really snowed all day. Now it’s snowing again…

26. Tonka says:

One month till spring!

FANTASTIC – that means we have one more month of SNOWY weather! GREAT!!!

27. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It’s been snowing moderately here on Western’s campus every since I’ve been here early this afternoon. Big fluffy flakes, not a lot of accumulation though.

28. turbo says:

is there a place to see season snowfall totals? In particular I’m looking for holland. so far this winter. Thanks!

29. Dan says:

WOW, The Southern Plains area is getting nailed. Did I read that right, 18-24 inches of snow expected in some parts of Kansas?
    I wish we could get in a big dump of snow like that! Then, Winter could end and we could transition into Spring. Seems to me we may get a mid March snow storm.

Just like THEEEEE. OLE JEM MODEL SAYS……… Stay CUED:::::::::::::::: Thank- You !!! Lol “……. ;-)

Yes that was the storm that supposed to hit us on Friday. Bad luck for us – the storm will fizzle by the time it hits West MI. We will definitely see more SNOWSTORMS over the next month. Get Ready!!

30. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Countdown to April: 39 days!!!

Speaking of Spring ! What’s Your Take on the TIGERS, This YEAR ? TomKap..

>>>>> BREAKING NEWS>>>>> This just in – all of this COLD and SNOW must be the NEW NORMAL! Keep the new normal COLD and SNOW rolling for at least another 3 to 4 weeks!!

1. SW Kent says:

No Rocky, we are not getting a snowstorm.
      Minor snow Friday, a mix next week, then warming temps.

After a BRIEF warm up next week all of the long range models show well below average temps and plenty of SNOW!!!!! Ya baby bring it!!

2. SBPortage002 says:

Hmmm…doesn’t a mix mean warming temps anyway? Just sayin is all…

2. Deb says:

Get a life! Every other post on here is you saying ONE MORE MONTH! MASSIVE SNOW STORM!!! Sick of it! Your worst then Fixxer!

The man enjoys winter, what’s wrong with that? If you don’t like his posts, keep scrolling down until you find one you do like. Good grief.

32. kevin. w says:

Cold and snow for another month period!!! Blocking is in place big ridge in the west strong NAO negative AO. So forget the warmth word on here cause it ain’t happen til mid March.

1. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

So whaat you described Kevin; how does this affect our weather? Like a polar vortex sitting over Hudson Bay or what? Thanks!

ROCK ON KEVIN – finally someone that has the data to confirm the RDB model is rolling! Keep up the good work and now try and find us some HUGE, MONSTER, MASSIVE widespread SNOWSTROMS for Michigan!!!!

OFF SUBJECT, But on Cue. J. Geils, is 67 Today !! CUE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnZYnqEKJk. ;-) . Enjoy !

What about their harmonica player? What was his name?

” MAGIC DICK”, ( stage NAME)… is 67 as well.. He will Be 68 in May. Thanks 4 asking….Stay CUED !!! ;-)

COLD and SNOW will rule our weather for the next three to four weeks. Those of you looking for warm Spring temps go hibernate till April! Wake up around tax day and you may actually see a temperature above 55 degrees!! Until then sit back and watch WINTER unleash its wrath and enjoy the ride!!!

1. Sparty says:

LOL…if low 40′s and melting snow pack is “wrath” of what’s left of winter I’m good. Even if it does snow, it will be in the 40′s the following day and will all melt. Spring is on the way. Saw a few robins outside my office today!

Wrath, May be a little Harsh. However , SWEET REVENGE, Maybe a Better Term! See Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I9obySo80Y. ;-)

You are in for a rude awakening – kind of similar to what happened to the MSU Spartans last night!

35. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Hi, someone hit their car into ours while my brother was driving. The guys then drove off… If you know any info, please let me know. (Bill I know you work at a news station, so maybe ppl will know something?) the police are investigating. No one was hurt in our car which is good!:)

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

I think I saw those guys. How many tires were on their car?

A vehicle description could be helpful.

I’m Trying 2 resist This CUE, but I just CAN’T RESIST……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewIse6lNjro. All, in good Fun, my Friends… ;-)

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

It was on 28th street if you saw it

Nope, Sorry Nathan. I avoid 28th St. At All Cost . 2 many Nuts… Just SAYIN… ;-)