Blizzard Warning AND Severe Thunderstorm Warning

February 24th, 2013 at 11:08 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Click the image to enlarge.  You know it’s about time to start thinking about cancelling school when there’s a Severe Thunderstorm Warning (orange area on map) AND a Blizzard Warning AT THE SAME TIME!!  This is the 2nd big snowstorm in a week out in the Plains.  Like the last, this one will weaken a bit before getting here, but we’ll get a mix of rain and (shovelable) snow when the storm gets here Tuesday PM to Wednesday AM.  Storms produced winds of 68 mph in Hobart, OK.  Large hail fell in parts of FL and GA, with hail the size of tennis balls and a possible tornado that destroyed a shed in Mathews LA.

11 Responses to “Blizzard Warning AND Severe Thunderstorm Warning”

1. Jeff (Portland) says:

What a mess.

NAAAW… I say Send Them…. 2 School…No Matter WHAT !!!! Just Kidding…Lol. ;-) . This Is Kinda Cool Though !! Can’t say I have ever Seen This Before. So… HEY Principal, Send Those KIDS…To SCHOOL….. Lol ;-)

3. brittany says:

Is this coming to gr?

1. Cort S. says:

The same system is on its way here. Check out the trail of warnings and watches: http://www.weather.gov/

4. John Johnson says:

I guess if there’s anyplace in the US for this to occur the plains would be the place. As it seems to be the ideal convergence zone. But nonetheless it is not something you see very often for sure. Congrats on your achievement Mr. Steffens, I no longer live in west Michigan but have family and friends there. I still follow you by reading your blogs and weather related material. Hope to move back someday and I hope your still doing what you do. I live in central OH, and this winter has been very much like last. Not much snow and short lived cold spells. Continued success to you! And again congratulations!!!

5. Mike Geukes says:

Temps were in the low 50′s when that warning came out.

6. Bradley Bruce says:

So many dreams of this coming our way at full power…would love a repeat of 78²!!!

1. Cort S. says:

Looks more like a 4-6″ event for most people. You can play around with accumulation probabilities here:

7. James F says:

This winter we have had full service weather systems that can give you a taste of everything, a spotters delight and home owners nightmare.

8. I recall a severe thunderstorm in January 2008. The storm produced a tornado in Kenosha, Wi., and crossed Lake Michigan. By the time the storm crossed Ensley Township, it was producing 3/4″ dia. hail (rivers of hail flowing down our driveway).We took an electrical surge (lightning strike) that took out our water well pump and caused about $3,000 of other electrical damage.

9. Janet Wildeboer says:

I would be very happy if the schools would close before the storm hits. Trust the weather information, I would rather have the kids go a few extra days in the summer, than read about a bus that turned over.