Winter Weather Advisory

February 25th, 2013 at 8:34 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

We have a Winter Weather Advisory for most of the area.  The Advisory goes from 10 am Tues. to midnight Tues. night for Berrien, Cass, St. Joseph, Branch and Hillsdale Counties.  It runs from 1 pm Tues. to 6 am Weds. for Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Jackson, Allegan, Barry, Eaton and Ingham Counties and it runs from 4 pm Tues. to 6 am Weds. for Ottawa, Kent, Ionia, Clinton, Muskegon, Newaygo Montcalm, Mecosta, Gratiot and Isabella Counties.

A mix of rain and snow will develop from south to north across the area during the midday and afternoon hours.  Temperatures will be close to freezing during this event, so at least some of the snow will melt as it hits the pavement on the expressways and more heavily traveled roads that would have some residual salt or would get salted as the snow comes down.   We may also get a period of rain or rain/snow mixed.  The heavier precipitation will be along I-94, with lighter amounts in general north of a line from Whitehall to Big Rapids.  Most areas should be in a 2-5″ snowfall area (though with warmer temperatures and some melting, it may not accumulate that much in some areas.   Light snow will linger into Wednesday with flurries possible on Thursday.  We’ll also have some icy spots tonight and tomorrow AM from the melting snow puddles that have frozen up tonight.  This will also be a great weekend for winter sports.

MODEL UPDATE:   New snow totals off the 00z NAM (caribou).  This is Tuesday PM thru Wednesday evening.  Grand Rapids 4.1″ (0.69″ total precipitation…starts as rain around 4 PM, goes over to snow in the evening…mix of rain and snow for 7 hours on Weds.).  Muskegon 5.1″, Lansing 5.3″, Kalamazoo only 1.7″ (more rain than snow), Jackson 3.9″, Pontiac 6.3″, Big Rapids 6.2″, Mt. Pleasant 7.8″ (NAM just teasing the met. students at CMU), Cadillac 1.3″, Ludington 3.0″, S. Haven 3.0″, Holland 5.1″.

Through today, Grand Rapids is 2.7 deg. cooler than average for February.  Today was only the 6th day out of the last 27 with no precipitation.  Prior to today, we had just 18% of possible sunshine this month.  This looks like it will be the coolest start to March in the eastern U.S. since at least 2005 (and possibly even 1996).   We will not have a temperature warmer than 45 this month in G.R.   That’s only happened now (inc. this Feb.) four times in the last 20 years.   Check out the snow and wind reports from N TexasThe Amarillo area had up to 17″ of snow with wind gusts to 75 mph!  Claude, Texas reports 14″ of new snow with 6-foot drifts!  Pantex TX had 77 mph (non-thunderstorm) wind gusts and near Guyman OK they report 1.5″ of snow with 3 foot drifts!

34 Responses to “Winter Weather Advisory”

1. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

It will be interesting to see how this March compares to last year. I think we had something like five days in the mid-80s last year in March; definitely not something I want to repeat because it wreaked havoc for the farmers (maple syrup, orchards, etc.).

1. Todd In Nunica says:

Yep, we need a more “normal” spring Was hard to drive to my dads (conklin area) and see 1-2 apples on the trees in August. We only do maple syrup as a “hobby” (we sell some but no way make any kind of “real” money on it) But the maple season really needs the below freezing nights (unless you run vacuum pumps)Last year once it got warm it kept right on and the trees budded out way too fast.

We had highs of 80, 81, 83, 85 and 87 last March. Five days after the 87, we had back-to-back lows of 31 and 32. That was followed by an April with average temperatures (+0.3 degree). April was 2.4 degrees COOLER than March!

1. Nathan says:

Bill, that was the BEST March ever! I remember going home and shooting baskets in my t shirt/shorts and having to take a cool showers afterwards. I sure hope its like that again this year…

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

No it wasn’t, it killed our farmers man!

2. Rob( Norton Shores) says:

Yup, I remember frost protecting my early variety crop, very though year! We don’t need a repeat!!!!!

3. AleganJoe says:

That is depressing…since we are-not-going to be even close to those “delicious” temps.!! :( :(

What a difference a year can make.

2. Dozer says:

I’m worried what this heavy snow might do to my daffodils that sprouted today. I swear they popped out and grew 2″ in 12 hours.

1. Bob says:

just put a space heater next to them and you won’t have to water them.

2. Brad says:

They’ll be fine.

1. Dozer says:

Well I got nervous so I carefully dug them out and brought them inside.
        Now I have about 50 sprouts that I can watch grow before my eyes. Maybe should have left them outdoors.?

By this time tomorrow night winter storm “ROCKY” will be hammering us. The moisture feed from the gulf is looking impressive and this will increase our snowfall totals! Just like the storm last week the snow will be heavier and farther North!! The NWS will need to add counties to the North in the WWA!

Rocky, it’s hard for some to take criticism. You know how to handle it. That’s why YOU ROCK.

Get the snow blowers revved up and skis waxed. Winter is calling! This will be the fifth weekend in a row of great snowmobiling conditions and I predict that we will be seeing at least three more great winter weekends. ENJOY WINTER PEOPLE!!!!!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Ok Rocky I’ll grant you this, so far you are right I’m starting to ache where my bodometer feels it with strong storm systems.

Now you are talking – get ready for 5 to 7 inches of SNOW along with plenty of wind! I love it!!

2. ~Sherry~(Comstock Park) says:

:) . The smile is not for your pain Swatz but for the storm coming our way!!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Hurts to lift my arms, feeling it in my shoulders, scapulas, back, all over, so we shall see. 2 Aleve & Heathing pad tonight and we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

2. AleganJoe says:

:( :( is for the storm heading our way!!

3. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Fibromyalgia? :(

1. Stephen (North Muskegon says:

ahh come on thats a totally made up disease.. First time I seen the TV ad run I laughed. All that is, is aches and pains the normal. :)

2. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

No, I’m 43 and just seen a specialist I have moderate to advancing Osteoarthritis(degeneration of the cartlidge/tendons), they wondered about Fibromyalgia but it doesn’t add up to it, they thought in highschool I had arthritis in my hips but finally went to the doctor. They found moderate degeneration in my back when I had back surgery 1 1/2yrs ago so I’m becoming increasingly sensitive to weather changes. I’ve had 13 surgeries in 14yrs, back was my biggest and most recent, hoping I can go 2yrs without any surgeries, that will be a 1st in 14yrs.

Stephen, that’s what I’ve heard for years as well. But who knows.

4. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Stephen – Just as made up as erectile dysfunction and low testosterone?

Goodness Swatz, that’s a lot to go through. I feel your pain. I’ve had severe back pain for almost 15 years now. Mostly due to muscle inflammation. It’s not fun.

6. michael g (SE GR) says:

Nope, those can be measured/observed, fibromyalgia can only be complained about, usually by the sort who complains about everything.

Surprised fix hasn’t been diagnosed.

5. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

00z nam gives me 2-3″ of snow through wed night.

6. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Model off of fox17 and win show 2″ at south haven….most snow in se mich. it is also starting precip as rain for about 2 hours as well. Nam also showing more rain at the start. I’m thinking more like 2-4″ now.

7. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Haha, Rocky, the winter storm is named after you! So lucky!

8. paul says:

5-7 inches of snow for west Michigan.

9. Michael (Berrien county) says:

GFS & Euro seem to be a little further south with the track of the storm than the NAM, thus giving more snow than rain/mixed precip, like the NAM does.

10. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Phooey. This thing doesn’t look the slightest bit evil and will bring nada but some slush.
    Glad it’s named Rocky ’cause that will make it funnier when it fizzles.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

I see what you did there.

11. Slh says:

Stephen (or is it DR. Stephen?!?) – you’re quite simply an idiot.