Snow and Cold

March 19th, 2013 at 7:56 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

terri deboer snow measurement   benzie two jpeg The picture on the left is 6″ of snow measured by Terri DeBoer in Byron Center this (Tue.) afternoon.  The picture on the right was sent to me by Steve Graetz, the Principal of Betsie Valley Elem. School in Thompsonville.  He estimated 10″ of snow fell in 9 hours.  Other snow reports:  7″ Ferry (Oceana Co.),  6.5″ Grandville, 6″ Baldwin and Walker, 5″ Gun Lake, Comstock Park, Cutlerville and Wayland, 4.7″ East Gr. Rapids, 4.5″ Delton, 4.3″ Kalamazoo, 4″ Plainwell, 3.3″ Ford Airport – Grand Rapids, 3.0″ Hastings, 2.8″ Scottville, 2.5″ Paw Paw, 2.0″ Bellevue, 1.8″ Lansing, 1″ Muskegon, Saugatuck and Grand Junction.  SlimJim pointed out that today is the first day we’ve had a high temperature below freezing in G.R. this late in March since 2002.  The 6-10 day outlook from CPC is extraordinarily cool over much of the country and the 8-14 day outlook is more of the same.  Look at the cold air across the U.S. from March 24-29.   Here’s GFS 120-hour snowfall for the next storm.  WOW!  Up to 16.9″ of snow – Nebraska especially needs the moisture.  NAM has snowstorm going south of St Louis.   Anyone going to Florida or the Gulf of Mexico for spring break…note the colder than average water (with one warm eddy offshore).  It’s also been very cold over much of Europe.  Migrating birds have turned around and headed back southHeavy snow has fallen in SlovakiaEight-foot high snow drifts in the United Kingdom Channel Islands (biggest snow in over 1/4 century).  Parts of W. Russia and E. Europe “at a standstill” due to early spring snowstorm.   Big snowstorm hitting Quebec and E. Canada.

Other snowfall reports:  12.1″ Wellston (Manistee Co.), 12″ Interlochen, 10″ Lake Ann, 9″ Brethren, 7.5″ Snyder (45″ on the ground!), 15″ in 20 hours Alston (in the U.P.), 10″ Montreal, Canada, 15.7″ New Ipswich NH, 3″ New York City.

30.7% of the Lower 48 States had a snow cover this last day of winter.   The average snow cover was 5.1″.  That compares to this percent on March 19 in past years:  17.0% in 2012, 18.8% in 2011, 17.8% in 2010, 15% in 2009.  In fact, the total of 30.7% surpasses each year going back 10 years (I don’t have records before that).

39 Responses to “Snow and Cold”

I love it. Thanks for all of the great information on our continued COLD and SNOWY pattern. Keep up the good work Bill! I love the forecast temperatures for the next 2 days! High 25 on the first day of Spring with SNOW. It does not get better than that!!!

1. Cort S. says:

If tomorrow’s high temperature is 25, that will be a year-to-year temperature difference of 58 degrees.

Give me 25 degrees over 83 degrees any day. 83 is way to hot!

Well Bill we new u would change your highs in thee 40′s next week!!! INDYY.

It sure was cold with the wind. I drove to Lansing for a meeting and the wind wiping across the field really kicked up the snow to almost white out conditions.

*whipping…

Whoops, with egg on my face…I should have said…the last time it has not gotten above 30° during the daytime was in 2002 ..Because on March 21, 2008 GR had a high of 30° and we recorded
    6.6″ of snow on that day. I would think it was not Lake effect then though….Anyway my correction is today has been the coldest during the daytime since 2002 and the last time it stayed below freezing this late was in 2008. So while not unheard of this late in the season its not an ever year occurrence . Sorry for the miss information…Also looking to the west I can now see blue sky so we do have some clearing going on right now.

5. Mark says:

“Migrating birds have turned around and headed back south” has me in stitches!

Lol, Gives a whole New meaning To….. This WEATHER is For THE BIRDS !!!!! Lol.. ;-)

2. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Iam about ready to get in a Jet and fly out of here myself….

6. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Here is my pic of the snow on our deck at 2:15 this afternoon, it has settled from the 5.8″ to 5″ now.

It’s a pretty safe bet that I’ll go over the 100″ mark sometime tomorrow, or at worst by Thursday. With 92″+ of that coming since January 20th!

All THIS Cold,and Snow, Has Got Me DREAMING of a WARMER Climate !!! Hence a CUE about My DREAM ::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLdN3rM1ZU. ;-)

8. Nathan says:

WWA canceled… Another headline may be needed for tomorrow

WWA for Wednesday and Wednesday night is a certainty. GR will be seeing another 3 to 6 inches of SNOW! The COLD and SNOW just keeps rolling! Then we have many, many more chances for COLD and SNOW right thru the first week of April! Skiing and snowmobiling here we go! Simply amazing!

1. Nathan says:

Haha, not too sure about that Rocky! Maybe 1-4 inches.

9. Jerry hoag says:

I heard on the weather channel that Portland Maine may excedd the 100 inch mark for snow this year!!

Wow what a winter this is!! Never ending! Pretty close to 80 degress colder than last year on this dat with wind chills at one point in the day, huh bill?

10. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Slim Jim mentioned March 21, 2008 above. That was Good Friday. I received 14″ of snow. It started at 10 am, and snowed for 18 hours. It was a heavy, wet, snow. I was iin the sweet spot, but much of West Mich was effected. CNN video below.

Beautiful. That was a good year!

We had 6.6″ of snow in G.R. that day.

3. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

I would have to look, but that may have been the year we had 144″ here. A good year for lake effect and synoptic snow.

144″ downtown in the winter of 1951-52 and 132″ at the old airport on S. Division at 44th.

Bill, I remember when The G.R.Airport, Was On EASTERN Ave. Used to go there as and Watch The Planes, on Saturday Nite’s ..With The Family…. ;-)

* AS a KID *.

4. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I don’t remember that day in particular, but that was my senior year in high school. It was also during the first official week of baseball practice, and we had a foot of snow on the baseball field.

For whatever reason, I don’t remember that one either.

11. Nathan says:

Almost the ten year anniversary of my favorite winter storm EVER! I was only five years old at the time and I remember every detail perfectly! April 3rd, 2003.
    My favorite thunderstorm of all time was the June 2008 “Tornado like wall-cloud” thunderstorm. I still think that was a tornado…

1. Nathan says:

BTW it was an ice storm, but thats still classified under winter weather events

12. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Less than 1″ new snow here.

I thought this was a cool new study, regardless of your beliefs. Instead of looking at temps that always seem to get skewed, they simply looked at 30 years worth of satellite and ground data. Shows a lot of northern climates (the UP included) having longer growing seasons today and more plants, trees, and green. It’s cool to see the planet going through cycles – whether you believe it’s man made or natural.

13. Cliff (Scotts) says:

Well down to the south Fort Wayne could come close to setting record low/daytime temps for 3/20!!! Darn global warming I tell you. Just like how we had all these crazy tornados and hurricanes as well.

14. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Are there any new reports or snowfall in northern lower? They have been getting hammered all morning, day, evening, and still are tonight. Last report I saw was a few hours ago from a snowmobile trail report in the Benzie Manistee area with 12″ of fresh snow, and 20″ on the ground. This is just insane for March 19th, and the fact that it’s light fluffy lake effect.

If you look at the web cam at Twin Lakes in the U.P., it looks like they have about 4 feet on the ground. Amazing.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Too bad the U.P. isn’t closer, or else I’d be up there quite often to enjoy all that snow!

Anyone know when the snow is suppose to pick up again overnight. Is there a pulse of energy set to move through. Lots of clear skies, and still breezy right now.

16. mr. negative says:

Nothing but cold, snow, wind…forget the averages, there is no hope.

17. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Hope the roads are good in the morning. I have an invite to get into Cabela’s new store a day before they open to the public. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve. So i hope the snow stays away untill later in the day. This store has been long over due for Grand Rapids. 22.1° now.

18. Yup (Grandville) says:

It was hard to measure, but I had about 6 inches of fluffy snow in my neck of the woods, maybe a little less than that.