Friday

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:55 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local    I’ll leave radar here to show you that not much is going on today.  It’ll be another cool day and we’ll be lucky to see a little sun on a mostly cloudy day.  The European gives us .03″ of precipitation on Mon. and .06″ on Tue. and that would be snow, with the bulk of the storm passing south of Michigan.  Season snowfall is up to 65.1″ for G.R., 98.6″ for Muskegon, 29.3″ for Lansing, 80″ even for Holland, 100.4″ for W. Martin, 65.7″ for Kalamazoo and 78.7″ for Oshtemo.  Also 70.8″ for Fremont, 112″ for Bloomingdale, 77.8″ for Hart, and 110.8″ for Scottville. For current Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s NAM model snowfall thru 84 hours, the GFS snowfall thru 120 hours and the HPC snowfall predictions. Here’s WOOD-TV Interactive Radar, looping radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Also….does Harold Camping work for the Weather Channel now? (thanks to Ryan Maue for the heads up on this one).

37 Responses to “Friday”

1. Since the weather is so boring, let’s jump right to that tidbit from TWC. The Wacky Channel. They have truly lost it. TWC really lost all credibility when NBC/Universal bought them from the family that owned TWC. It’s absolutely, positively, 100%, been a downward spiral since. It’s not so much the people that work for TWC (I am friends with some current and ex employees of TWC) but it’s what the channel is now forced to conform to through the dictatorship of NBC/Universal. Not only has this downward spiral taken place, TWC will be dropping “Channel” and will be known as The Weather Company. They also want to gain exclusive rights to a new type of website domain called “.weather”

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

I can’t remember the last time I watched that channel, probably in the early 2000′s when it was still good.

1. Matt in New Era says:

Me too!!! Been along time since i have even seen that channel!!!

2. steelie says:

Good Day,

Agreed…

Steelie

3. Barbara Runcie says:

I only watch it once in a great while. All it is now is an entertainment channel. I wish NOAA or NWS would open a channel

That’s always good to know, I guess? I do watch the Weather Channel – I sort of consider it “Weather entertainment”. Personally, I appreciate some of the stuff they do to make information understandable for the “average citizen” – I think the TorCon Index is brilliant and probably saves lives. I DO resent not having the “Locals on the 8′s” when they’re showing their weather-drama shows and bad weather is looming – at least *I* have the luxury of WOOD-TV’s all-weather/NOAA broadcast channel. Not everyone does.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Is that through ATT or other?

2. TorCon isn’t even a meteorological tool for forecasting. It’s just as fake and pointless as naming winter storms is. It’s inaccuracy actually does just the opposite of save lives. A real meteorologist uses something called STP (Significant Tornado Parameter) to more accurately forecast tornadoes. TorCon isn’t even based off of STP. It’s all a farce. Just ask James Spann.

2. Dan says:

I don’t watch that channel very often anymore. I used to watch it all the time.
    I still enjoy Jim Cantore take on the weather. Is even still with the Weather Channel? I also liked Stephanie Abrams!

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

He’s on there still. I still think he should start his own weather gig.

3. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

The 00Z Candadian backed off on having the Monday storm hit us. Models pretty much agree on a complete miss, but the NAM has gone from nailing southern Indiana…to a much further north track. It is the only model Rocky can root for at this point.

1. Bnoppe(Albion) says:

That gives us a few more hours of hope, a big shift by the GFS is highly unlikely but you never know

2. Michael (Berrien county) says:

I can live with that forecast!!

4. Travis (Oakland County) says:

The Palace was rocking last nite. Great games by both Michigan teams!

1. Dan says:

Were you there in attendance? I would’ve loved to be there!
      Is Trey Burke ok? He took that nasty fall. It looked bad, was VERY good to see him walk off of the court. He also rejoined the game!

5. GB says:

All sun right now let’s keep it that way!

6. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

12Z NAM is further south, so it seems all models now keeping snow out of West Michigan.

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

The 06Z NAM had 8-10″ for Chicago…now 12Z shows about 2-3″. Also, has about 2-3″ south of a line from Holland to the SE corner of the state.

1. bnoppe(Albion) says:

I think 1-2 up to 94 at most

The sunshine is awesome!!! The robin hopping around our yard looking for breakfast (because the snow is melting off fast!) is happy, too :-)

8. Matt in New Era says:

“IF” this storm shifts to the north, we will be buried alive!!!!

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Big IF…I doubt it will happen. Seems many of the storms lately are getting pushed south due to the blocking pattern. The 12Z GFS is slightly north.

1. Stephen (North Muskegon says:

That’s alright with me. We had a good enough winter.. I’m ready for it to warmup now

9. Yup (Grandville) says:

It can stay south :)

10. Michael (Berrien county) says:

GFS is further north again on 12Z run with the next storm, while the NAM is further south….. go figure…. and the flip-flopping of the models continues……

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Candadian is south as well.

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Yeah for me the track of this storm could mean anything from an 8-12 inch snowstorm with high winds & blowing and drifting, to a slushy 1 or 2 inches on the grass that melts right away. I guess I have to stay tuned until the models come into better agreement.

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

Seems we saw this with the last storm. Models crept the snow up to about I-94…then backed off. I say two more model runs worth watching to see if the track changes, but after that, it should be locked in pretty good.

11. Im ready for tornado watches and severe thunderstorms now!!

12. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

From Tom Skilling:

Happy Friday all! Well–in terms of the late weekend storm system which we’ve been watching all week, one can only say, it doesn’t get more interesting than this! We literally have the vaunted European medium range model kicking out just 0.02″ liquid form precip while at least one Weather Service WRF model run in the past 24 hrs has kicked out as much as much as 16.3″ and yesterday morning’s Canadian operational model in the same range (16.6″) assuming a 11.5 to 1 snow/water ratio, which is the average among the all the models combined. Techniques such as BJ Cook and the Garcia method come in in the 4 to 6″ range and the Weather Service’s NCEP super-ensemble, which has done a terrific job on past storms comes in at 5.8″ on its latest run by the Storm Prediction Center’s SREF model snow plumes put the average snow tallies from the 10pm run of that model last night and the run this morning at 4am at 3.3″ and 2.2–though the spreads among that models individual members runs from 0 to 16.4″ and 1 and 9.2″ respectively. So, to say there is a wide range of forecast solutions is an understatement!! It’s early to have a great deal of confidence in any one solution, and to state otherwise would be to NOT be honest. Having said all that, a good starting point with recent storms has been the NCEP super-ensemble, which brings together fcsts off the GFS, the UKMET, the ECMWF, the Navy NOGAPS, Environment Canada’s CMC and the Weather Service’s SREF & Air Force models generate the forecast I’ve posted here. It suggests at least sections of the Chi area could see a significant late season snow Sunday–in places as much as 5-6″, particularly in southern sections, with wind and potential lake-enhancement of the precip. But that’s a first stab at the system–and guidance fluctuations argue that such a number not be viewed as something carved in stone at this point.

13. Dan says:

This just gets more interesting by the hour! Who really knows what will happen with this system? WOW! It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of days!

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

The 12Z European is a bit further north as well, but still….the bulk of the storm stays south of Michigan…while Indiana gets hit pretty hard.

1. bnoppe(Albion) says:

I’m sticking with 1-2 along 94 nothing around GR

GOD KNOWS…..Dan…… ;-)

I am glad to see that storm team 8 is on board with my prediction from earlier this week! No temps above 40 degrees all weekend long! I love it! I am getting ready to head North to hit the trails. They have a ton of SNOW on the ground! The COLD and SNOW just keeps coming and coming and coming and coming! ROCK n ROLL is here to stay baby! This will be 9 weekends in a row!! SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Have Fun Rocky..Be safe, and as always STAY CUED !!!! Ps. Request Line are OPEN…… LOLOLO… ;-)

15. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I just got back from Fort Wayne, IN. From about Schoolcraft and to the south there isn’t a cloud in the sky, absolutely no snow on the ground(barely even snow piles), and the temp was in the low 40′s. On our way back up we hit the cloud deck and some snow cover at about Portage. I currently have a temp of 36°, and cloudy. Still have a couple of inches on the ground here. I’m leaving for a dirt track(like Berlin Raceway, and Kalamazoo Speedway) in Brownstown, IN tomorrow. It’s suppose to be in the low 50′s down there tomorrow, it’s going to feel like a heat wave!