Science Olympiad

March 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

science olympiad   Just a quick note to say “thanks” to GVSU and Science Olympiad for letting me be a part of a very special day (for I think the 27th year).  Between Science Olympiad, Robotics and a charity run, there were 8,000 visitors to the Allendale Campus of GVSU today.  Teams from 45 middle and high schools across Kent and Ottawa County competed in 50 different events.  Our meteorology event was won by Kraft Meadows Middle School in Caledonia.  The overall winners were Plymouth Christian Middle School and Grand Haven High School.  Congratulations to all the participants.

19 Responses to “Science Olympiad”

1. Jesse says:

Thanks for coming Bill! I really enjoyed your stories and fellowship over lunch!

1. Bob says:

hi! i went to this science olympiad tournament and was in meteorology. i placed 15th which is okay. it was really fun!!!

2. big Daddy BC says:

Public education is a wonderful thing. Those teachers deserve a big pat on the back for their dedication to children. Ironic that Bill attends these events considering that he very publicly supports new laws that reduce teachers’ wages, benefits, and rights in the workplace as well as Snyder’s efforts to privatize public education.

1. Jesse says:

Ironically a lot of the schools that attended the event were private Christian schools as well as charter schools and they did as well as the state funded public schools. It’s great to have a healthy mix of both represented there.

1. big Daddy BC says:

I’m not sure how that’s ironic, but okay. Also, some Christian schools are state funded as are all charters. The difference has more to do with how they take care of their faculty and whether they kick a profit upstairs to some CEO.

Give me a list of Christian schools that are “state funded”.

Speaking of CEOs: http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/17197

2. Brad says:

Did Bill chair the creationism event?

1. Brad says:

LOL. There ya have it!

Good Monday Morning..BRAD !!! Here is what I BELIEVE !! CUE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHo26oTwp6k. ;-)

LOL! Just because I wasn’t a shill for Proposal 2! You are so marginalized! I’m a believer in excellent public, charter and private schools. I don’t believe that a teacher should be drunk in the classroom 5 times before they can be fired: http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2012/10/bay_city_teachers_union_gave_4.html The article says:

“The Bay City Public Schools teachers contract would allow teachers to come to school under the influence of alcohol five times before being fired, three strikes under the influence of drugs and two if teachers are caught selling drugs. The language has been in the contract since 1997.”

3. Karin says:

Thanks for your support Bill! The Kraft Meadows MS team was coached not by a teacher but a volunteer dad who also happens to be one of your fellow meteorologists from the NWS, Mark Sekelsky. Thanks to all the teachers and volunteer coaches!

Well, Mark deserves a medal! That was an awesome performance, Kraft Middle School pretty much came out of nowhere to win the event. I don’t remember Kraft being in the top schools in weather before this. I won’t say who, but other teams have had meteorologists working with them or they have Science Olympiad as a club activity and have been working on it all year. Kraft scored 99 on the test, six points ahead of #2 and that is significant.

1. Meredith says:

Caledonia did come in 2nd back in 2004 or 2005, as Caledonia Middle school.I remember because one participant was my son, and they only missed first by half a point. I’m really glad you are still working with this event. And I know the kids (and parents) appreciate it too.

4. snowsearch says:

I was there to support a friend’s son and daughter. It was quite an event.

5. Tom H says:

28 years. They started hosting the regional competition in 1985 (my senior year in high school). I don’t recall that we fielded a team. I do remember as a chemistry major at GVSU in the following years volunteering to help with the various chemistry events.

Good times.

The stuff these kids learn is amazing!!!!! (Proud Mom of a kid who went to Nationals!!) And what a thrill for the kids competing in Meteorology, to have a CELEBRITY there! You’re a good guy, Bill!!

( In Tony The Tiger VOICE )…… Bill is not Only Good…..He’s……..GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

2. Bob says: