Coldest March 25th ever in U.S.?

March 25th, 2013 at 12:57 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

difax   Click the image to enlarge.  Check out the snow in the U.P. (click the “next” in the upper right to view more pics.)   This is the high temperature map from Sunday and much of the U.S. is unseasonably cold.  It’s not just the mainland.  At 6 PM, the high temperature at Wheeler Field in Hawaii was only 68.  The Honolulu Airport made only 73 degrees in the rain (average high 82).  In Alaska (by mid-afternoon), Anchorage had a high of 24 (average 36), Fairbanks was 8 (average high 30) and Nome was 3 (average high 19).  In the mainland U.S., here’s some Sunday afternoon high temperatures with the average high in ( ):  Denver 25 (57), Lincoln NE 30 (56), Clayton NM 46 (60), Omaha 39 (54), Bismarck ND 25 (45), Duluth 29 (38), Dallas 54 (71), Joplin MO 37 (63), Oklahoma City 44 (66), Rapid City SD 21 (51), Amarillo TX 43 (65), Spokane WA 45 (52), Boise ID 47 (57), Salt Lake City 41 (56), Goodland KS 27 (57), Glendive MT 21 (49), Little Rock AR 47 (66), Des Moines 32 (53), Indianapolis 37 (55), Lexington KY 41 (58), Springfield IL 35 (56), Dayton OH 34 (53), Madison WI 31 (47), Grand Rapids MI 37 (48), Spokane WA 45 (52), Andersonville SC 48 (67), Memphis 52 (67), New York City 46 (52), Amarillo 43 (65), Athens GA 47 (69) Erie PA 34 (47), Clayton NM 46 (60), Charlotte NC 44 (66), Columbia MO 35 (58).  Now that’s a chilly late March day.   NASA IR data show N. America 1.039  deg. C below the 30-year average for March 1-24.

And…look at the cold air across Europe!  Over the past five years, winters have trended colder in NW Europe.  Nine months to Christmas!

6.2 magnitude earthquake this evening in Guatemala, but it was very deep (124 miles) so little damage is expected.

48 Responses to “Coldest March 25th ever in U.S.?”

1. Treasure Hunter says:

So much for global warming. Thanks for participating in the GVSU Science Olympiad on Saturday. It’s a great event. I’m a parent and assistant coach for one of the middle school teams and what a great moment to see my son get a medal. Keep up the great work. Love the blog.

Congrats to your son AND you!!!

2. Its Science says:

LOL @ thinking global warming means increased temps.

1. Steve Wood says:

The term is GLOBAL warming not United States warming. Do you remember last March? Did you think that proved global warming? I bet not.

2. Steve Wood says:

2. Katie in Kentwood says:

I am really hoping for a warmup soon :/

Hear Ya There, Katie ! 50′s on Friday and Saturday, will seem like a HEATWAVE. Can’t wait 2 Open up all the Windows in my Apartment, and air Out the stale Winter air, With Spring BREEZES . ;-)

3. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Not only am I surprised that we have snow still on the ground here, but I am also surprised on how much snow we still have. There is still a few inches of snow in my front yard, both fields on the west and east side of my house, and in the woods(all shaded areas). All of the left over snow is from our February snowfall. Also, our driveway is still snow/ice covered from the lake effect snow last week. I still have 6″ of snow on my deck where it stays shaded all day.

1. Eric Ring says:

Wow Bro, I live in Cutlerville south of town, and I don’t have any snow in my yard. In fact we went out driving yesterday and found out there’s pretty much no snow anywhere out this way. But the farther south you go, the more snow you have. Some times living in town ain’t so bad.

Travis is practically my neighbor (in “country” terms, at least…LOL!) and I have no snow. Heck, our side of Gun Lake isn’t frozen, either. There’s clearly a L.E. Bullseye over his area – lucky guy!!

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Once we drive out of the woods by my house, there is significantly less snow. My dirt road still have some snow/ice on it last Friday, while most lawns 2 miles away from my house were bare. So between the lake effect we receive, and the woods we are almost always the last to lose the snow.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

still had*

4. Trouble says:

Come on spring!!

5. Nathan says:

Nine months till Christmas?! Not ready for that yet!

6. Yup (Grandville) says:

9 months to Christmas……. Bill :) I need some nice warm temps into November.

Burrr is all I can say at this time….31° here and cloudy skies. I still see no big warm up as of yet, and with all of the cold air and now a lot of snow on the ground to our south it will take some time for all of that to melt,ect. In fact I am would not be too surprised if April also turns out below average temp wise.

BTW any bets on if Christmas 2013 will be green or white???

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Oh let’s not rush Christmas and 2013 winter just yet, it’ll come fast enough, LOL!

2. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

Slim, I’ll go with white this year.

3. mr. negative says:

White. Ten inch base by Halloween.

I’ll guess (and it is a guess) white!

Oh – PLEEEEEASE white!!!

9. bnoppe(Albion) says:

Contrary to popular belief. Global Warming does not automatically= warmer temps

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

“Climate change” sure is a more convenient name than “global warming.”

Must be nice to have a theory where, no matter what happens, you can point and say “see, my theory is true!” Warm weather, cold weather, regular weather, weird weather, it’s all due to “climate change.”

1. klem says:

You’ve noticed the infallibility of climate alarmism. If it is warm its global warming, if it’s cold it’s global warming, if its dry wet windy or calm its all global warming. There is no infallibility in science, only religions are infallible.

2. mr. negative says:

So true…

3. Cort S. says:

What if neither this March’s temperatures nor last March’s temperatures have anything to do with global warming / climate change, and it’s just how averages and anomalies work?

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Stop it you! With your sound ideas and all!

There was actually a memo sent out imploring the “alarmists” to switch from “global warming” to the more inclusive “climate change” or “climate disruption”. Part of the reason for that is that global temperatures have been steady for the last decade:

Professor Judith Curry, who is the head of the climate science department at America’s prestigious Georgia Tech university, told The (U.K. Daily) Mail on Sunday that it was clear that the computer models used to predict future warming were ‘deeply flawed’.

Even James Hansen has had to admit the obvious:

“The five-year mean global temperature has been flat for the last decade…” – James Hansen et al.

1. Yup (Grandville) says:

Cue BCBD.

If it’s warmer, that’s “global warming”! If it’s colder that’s “global warming”, er…climate change! If a researcher needs grant $$$$ than it’s REALLY “global warming”, er…ah…climate disruption!

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm LOL! (List compiled by Dr. John Brignell)

10. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

You Guy’s are crazy talking Christmas 9 more Months away!!!!!! GO SPRING!! Will even take some SUNSHINE!!! Nothin but MULTITABLE SADNESS WEATHER!!!!!!

11. kevin. w says:

Were going to have our typical ups and downs this spring but when we have are ups embrace ‘em and when we have our downs there be another up coming around the corner. Just have to remain positive to get you to the real “light at the end of the tunnel”…SUMMER… I notice a big storm on both the euro/gfs in about ten days both show it as rain and it could be a heavy/flooding one with alot of severe weather just to the south of Michigan. I guess stay tuned it might be a pretty bumpy spring with lots rain and severe weather and a very different one from last years very warm dry spring/summer.

12. Benjamin (Kalamazoo) says:

I think we’re going to have a mild summer. Not a heatwave like we had the previous two summers. Though I’m predicting plenty of thunderstorm activity. This season reminds me of 2009/2010…

13. 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin says:

Forget the forecasts. The surest sign spring and summer are right around the corner: HAPPY OBERON DAY!

OH HELL YEAH!

14. Cort S. says:

“We are slowly coming out of the lowest NAO & AO values since 2010, but likely lowest in March since the 1960s.” — @wxbrad

15. Mike M. says:

CONUS now -7°C below normal!!

If I may quote Ron Simmons, “Damn!”

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the entire Lower 48 that cold relative to average.

16. Dan says:

Another sure sign of spring is that Tiger baseball is about one week away!
    You know, warm weather cannot be far behind the start of the baseball season!
    Just think, before you can turn around, some will be saying, “its too hot”
    Although, maybe that doesn’t get mentioned this year.

Sooooooo READY 4 SPRING !!!! And RIGHT ON CUE: http://www.vevo.com/…/john-fogerty/centerfield/USUMV10...
      ENJOY…GooooooooooTIGERS!!!!!!!!! ;-)

17. charles sawdy says:

Well I kind of wonder what happened to the Robins , The Red winged Black birds and the Kill Deer I had in my yard before this cold trend set in. Spring was on the up swing then it just had to snow again and again and again… come on spring.

The Probably Migrated Back 2 “Warmer Places ” , Is My Guess. They will be Back…I’m SURE…So stay Cued, and God Bless. :-)

Look at what’s happening in Europe, where it’s also unseasonably cold: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130315-48551.html#.UVDZ9Tfou3M

18. klem says:

Yup I think we’ve had a cold winter, not as cold as it can be some years but colder than the last few I think. But these are just localized cold winters, all within normal variability. Overall the earths temperature is still in a holding pattern.

I hope and pray that we aren’t going into a global cooling cycle, that potentially has a much more destructive affect on our lives and children’s lives. Warming is far more preferable to cooling. C’mon global warming.

19. kentwoodchicken says:

BAWWWAAKK! When can I take off my NASA approved glowing thermal beak warmer?!