Whitecaps Win Home Opener!

April 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

detroit tigers logo   west michigan whitecaps   The Whitecaps won their opener, 7-6 in 10 innings.  The Tigers hope opener is Friday at 1: 05 PM – I did the weather live from the park Thurs. evening.    After the game they had fireworks.   They have an 11 AM game on Friday and 1 PM games on Saturday and Sunday.  Hey, listen to this to get you in the mood…and for you Chicago Cub fans (remember this on WGN-AM)…and Boston Red Sox and William Shatner fans.  Do the Whitecaps have an official song  (Zoe has 14 hits as I post this…let’s see if we can get her to 100)?  And here’s another baseball song.   Tigers won their opener…the good news…it didn’t rain…the bad news…it was too cold to rain!   Low 30s in Minneapolis most of the afternoon (who in MLB decided to open in Minneapolis on April 1?).  Honestly, it was cold enough to freeze the non-alcoholic beverages!  The Tigers bullpen was a big fail on Weds.       Leave a comment with your prediction on the Tigers (or Whitecaps) season.

March in G.R. was 3.5 degrees colder than December.  February turns out to be the coldest month of this winter.  The warmest two days of 2013 so far are Jan. 12 (57) and Jan. 29 (58).  S. Bend failed to reach 60 in March for only the 6th time since 1950.  They average six days of 60-degree weather in March.  Washington D.C. didn’t make it to 65 in March – I think that’s the first time since 1958.

66 Responses to “Whitecaps Win Home Opener!”

1. Barry in Zeeland(currently in Houghton, MI) says:

Probably in the minority, but I predict the Tigers will again fall short. Looking back at sports history, just about whenever there is so much hype and sky high predictions for any team, they almost always fall short. The only Michigan exception I can think of would be the 2002 Red Wings. That year they were basically crowned champions before the season began, and then they actually lived up to it. Tigers and Lions are different stories. Remember the great predictions for the Lions at the start of last year……..

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It worked for the Miami Heat last year, and possibly this year too.

1. Barry in Zeeland(currently in Houghton, MI) says:

Problem is they are not a Michigan team so they don’t count.

2. gvsualumni says:

I think the Tigers will win the central but it will be a lot closer than most people think it will be. Both the Indians and the Royals have gotten better and the Tigers already have trouble with the Indians for some reason.

3. Paul (Barry State Game Area /Yankee Springs) says:

And the glorious Green Bay Packers a few years back who were so certain they would be in Dallas for the Super Bowl, wore large buckles and cowboy hats to the pre season press conference…..
    Let’s hope the Tigers can do it all this year….

TIGERS WILL HAVE THE BEST RECORED IN BASEBALL EVER THIS YEAR LIKE THE BULLS WINGS AND NOW THE HEAT !!!! THEY WILL UP RAMP AS ONE OF THEE BEST BASEBALL TEAMS EVER!!! FANS GET READY NOW TIGERS PLAY BALL……INDYY!

1. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

If I were to read this out loud, I would have to be screaming at the top of my lungs. Stop with your nonsense. PLEASE

Forget your meds this morning??? hsjo …..INDY.

1. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

No, the nurse did a mouth check to make sure I swallowed all 27. The pills help keep me grounded throughout the day, unlike you who has to scream at the top of your lungs throughout every single post. Obviously your nurse has not done a good job at all of taking care of you. Go to the atrium where you belong.

WHAT A IDOIT! YEAA I D I O I T …INDYY..

3. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

talk about an idiot..

2. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

Also, What is an INDYY??

1. Ryan (Algoma) says:

His name would be my guess. What’s an hsoJ?

1. hsoJ in Zeeland says:

the official definition of hsoj:

Well for some reason teams that set winning records in the regular season do not seem to do well in the post season. So that said I hope the Tigers can win the Central, not set any winning records and do well in the post season.

1. Rumrunner says:

They will win the Central, but it’s kind of a weak division. I’m hoping for a really nice season, predicting 90 wins, with them in the Series.

4. Rumrunner says:

Great, you made a prediction. It’ll be wrong.

1. Rumrunner says:

LOL, The above prediction comment was for Indy.

5. Nathan says:

I’m heading to today’s White caps game and tomorrow’s after I return home from tonight’s storm chasing.

1. Nathan says:

April Fools BTW! Not true!

I have “concerns” for the Tigers this year as well. As Berry mentioned any time a team is “expected” to win there can always be problems. As for the Tigers the problems I see that could happen are they lose too many games in the early season and never catch up (they were lucky last year) or fall apart later in the year. And there is always the change that one or more of the “star” players may have a off year and there is always the chance of injuries. The first issue that has to be decided is who will be the closer??? IMO Leyland can plan ahead far enough to come up with a different closer for ever game, he like to get into a set pattern and never change it. My choice for a closer (until he fails) is Villarreal with my second choice Dotel lets see how Leyland handles it. And of course Leyland him self IMO is also a issue of why the Tigers may not win it all this year. If the Tigers fail this year then look out for the White Sox and the Indians.

As for the Whitecaps well at their level its hard to say what will or will not happen. And as I work at 5/3 Ballpark the one thing I will say is come out and enjoy a game or more this year. Let’s hope it warm up real soon and yes there are fireworks on Opening night.

BTW welcome to April. Its a sunny but cold 27° here this AM with a trace of snow on the ground and roofs. Not sure if the snow fell before or after midnight but either way I hope this is the last snow fall until late November 2013.

8. Travis (Oakland County) says:

That’s what the Twins get for building an outside stadium. When it was being built, I remember a lot of grumblings about an outside venue in such a cold climate. They seem to be embracing it, however, and are sort of viewing themselves as the Lambaugh Field of baseball. Anyway, Go Tigers!

Detroit hit 60 degrees yesterday – their 6th day above 50 for March. So, while it was still cooler than average, we still had some very nice days mixed in here.

WXYZ is forecasting temps to be 60 to 65 all next week.

Bring on the 60′s. If it is this cold I need snow… No snow, lets move on already.

In the meantime though, no temps even average in the next 7 days. The average high is up to 60° on the 16th in Detroit, so we are getting there.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Hop on the bandwagon, DF haha

Well, we just had 4 consecutive days with above average highs, and we have a good chance at another on Thursday at least.

Got to be patient with the ebbs and flows of Michigan spring. The longer-term models continue to jump all over the place.

The first four days of April have been 9.3 degrees cooler than average in Grand Rapids. March was 4.1 degrees cooler than average and February was 2.0 degrees cooler than average.

9. Dan says:

Tigers SHOULD win the central. Not sure why they didnt get a closer, Rondon is not ready! They have a potent hitting line up, four strong starting pitchers, and an average defensive club. They have to get their bats going right away! Their hitting will have to carry them. While they do have live arms in the bull pen, they need a strong closer!

10. Nathan says:

Im not seeing any heat the next week… Maybe in about 10 days or so though! Then this boring weather pattern should be DONE!

11. kevin. w says:

Tigers win the central and screwed up after that, just my thought.

GET THE WINTER HATS BACK OUT 3 MORE DAYS OF BELOW NORMAL TEMPS ARE HERE TO STAY PLAY BALL U ALL …ONLY WHEN BASEBALL STARTS IT GETS COLD AGAIN JUST THEE FAC TS!!! YARDofBRICKS ….GO TIGERS!!!!!!

13. ~Sherry~(Comstock Park) says:

I am so looking forward to the Tigers season this year!! I hope they don’t freeze up there today for their opening day game!! I will be watching. GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Rumrunner says:

Agree 100% Sherry!

Has Leyland announced a closer for the season yet?
      I mean the season starts today!

He may have picked one but he has not stated who it is yet.

The sun is out in Minneapolis and the temp is now all the way up to 26° The questions now becomes how may major league games have been played in the upper 20′s

1. Skot says:

Who in there right mind would schedule a baseball game this time of year that far up north anyway? At least give them 2 weeks before going that far. DOLTS.

15. Skot says:

YEAAAAHHH BASEBALL!!!! Something to Finally Listen to on WLAV besides the “Same” 97 songs ALLLLL DAY “EVERY SINGLE DAY”. AAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Detroit TIGERS…. Win The Central Div. 4 Sure. ( barring any Major INJURIES ) I also believe they Will be WORLD CHAMPIONS in 2013 ,( barring any Major INJURIES ). Darn…..Hope I haven’t Jinxed Them…. ;-) Stay Cued Y’all ( especially SKOT for None of the 97, that ya hear over and over) ….WLAV SUCKS SKOT !!! I agree! GOOOOOOOO TTTTTIIIGGGEERRRSSS!!!!! ;-)

1. Skot says:

+ 100 to you sir.

Put Me Skot…I’m READY TO PLAY( or Cue)…LOL… http://www.vevo.com/watch/…/centerfield/USUMV1000097. ;-)

DAMN….First ERROR of The LOOOONNNGGG SEASON…SPIN: http://www.dailymotion.com/…/x219sr_john-fogerty-centerfi... ;-)

A BASEBALL SONG WITH A MESSAGE….4 All…… ONLY here on Bills BLOG.!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3OqWydPZeM

Hey Skot you a DEAD HEAD??? Check it Out all You Dead HEADS !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH8ObibNCoo. ;-)

I’m a OLD DEAD HEAD….RIP….Jerry Garcia …..Later!!!

TIGERS WIN…..4-2 !!! ;-)

From Batter Up!!!! 2 PUCKer UP…Wings LEAD… 3~0…. Stay Cued… Go wings… ;-)

April in The DDDDDDDDDDDD..Tigers WIN, Wings WIN, even The Pistons WIN…. DDDDDDDDDDDDD… Stay CUED. DDDDD !

22. Tonka says:

Tigers season will all hinge on the bullpen.

Correct, as it has for a few years now. The offense, which is there, but didn’t see much of today, should carry the team along with the starting rotation. Glad J.V. got the W today. It got ugly in the 6th-7th.

1. Skot says:

Leland never had intuition. Always an inning late.

23. bnoppe(Albion) says:

6:35 AM that’s in early start

Lol, I saw that 2, do ya think Bill means PM ? Hope So….. Lol…. Stay cued. And GO WHITECAPS ! ;-)

24. gvsualumni says:

Well the Tiger’s signed Valverde, what could possibly go wrong?

Minor L. Contract…Hmm..Maybe he will Pitch, for the Whitecaps. I hope Not!!!! ;-)

1. gvsualumni says:

My money is on him being up with the big club by the all-star break

I PRAY, You’re Wrong ! Papa is NOT So GRANDE ! He’s a Has Been ! ;-)

2. gvsualumni says:

As an Indians fan, I sure hope he is back

Well, In that Case maybe The Tigers, could Deal Papa.. 2 The Indians. I know wishful Thinking .Stay cued…. ;-)

Fixxer thanks bud for the talking me up!! yes I have been on Bills blog a long time this blog would be no fun if thee fix and INDY mix go it will never happen Bill needs us to rock n roll it!! just wait till severe weather starts u think the blog is crazzy now STAY TUNED ….How about a party cue uncle Jack…INDYY.

Yes Sir REEEEEE INDY, This here BLOG is FREE, and Everything is All Right NOW !! CUE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7vW6dgnUY. ;-) . Stay cued….My Friend. :-) . P.S. Any Skunk, Left over from Last Nite . U could Roll Uncle Jacks Way….?? I’m OUT….

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! I hear The Fireworks from 5th 3rd ….Whising it Was Thunder. Hence a CUE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSnQ0bdHW0s. TURN it Up…and..ENJOY… ;-)

Off ToPUCK..Wings Lose 4-2 . :-(

12 more Hrs,or so Till Motowns TIGERS Opening Day ! The Yanks are in Town, Wouldn’t Ahhh SWEEP!! Be nice again !!! ;-)

29. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Poor Jacob Turner. The Whitecaps marketed him like he was the next Verlander. Gets the call up to the pros, and doesn’t do very well. Gets traded. And now he didn’t even make the opening day roster and is back in the minors.

It’s been a while since the Whitecaps were able to produce some big talent for the Tigers.