Wind Advisory has expired

April 19th, 2013 at 2:09 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Wind graphic   We’ve had a few moderate to heavy snow showers move thru this evening.  A couple spots report an nearly an inch of snow accumulated on the grassy areas.  Temperatures will dip a little below freezing overnight and they may cause a few puddles to freeze up.   Peak wind gusts as of noon:  49 mph East Grand Rapids (on top of the Press Box at Memorial Field), 45 mph Muskegon Beach, 44 mph S. Haven Beach, 43 mph Ionia, 43 mph Battle Creek, 41 mph Coldwater, 45 mph Ionia, 44 mph Jackson, 41 mph Holland Beach, 51 mph Holland Regional Arpt., 40 mph Ludington, 40 mph Benton Harbor, 347 mph Grand Rapids, 41 mph Muskegon, 39 mph Kalamazoo, 47 mph Lansing and Fremont, 47 mph S. Haven Airport, 40 mph Big Rapids.  The strongest wind has been in the U.P., 52 mph Copper Harbor, 49 mph Houghton.    Heavy snow has fallen across N. Minnesota, NW. Wisconsin and the western U.P.  Snow cover this AM:  31″ Marquette Airport, 30″ ten miles south of Grand Marais, 30″ Twin Lakes (4″ new snow), 14″ Ironwood (7″ new snow), 9″ S. Ste. Marie, 7″ Vanderbilt.  Up to 22″ of snow has fallen in northern Minnesota!    Continue to be careful in this flood situation.  Observe flood barriers, don’t drive thru standing water on roads (which may have washed out) and stay away from fast-moving water.    Temperatures will be in the upper 30s to low 40s for most of Saturday midday and PM.  Look for partly sunny skies Saturday PM and Sunday.  Temperatures will be a touch below freezing Sat. and Sun. AM – so some puddles could freeze up for a short time.  Temperatures will reach the low-mid 50s Sunday.  Once again, we’ll be a little cooler than average next week.  More rain is likely Tuesday, but at least we have 3 relatively dry days to help ease the flooding.   Also, what’s the first thing you’d do in dirty river water after a sewage spill…yup, water-skiing behind the pick-up in the local park.

192 Responses to “Wind Advisory has expired”

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We just had heavy sleet which turned to heavy for the past 20 to 30 mins. Everything is covered with about a quarter inch of snow. Here is the pic of the snow on my deck…

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

heavy sleet turned to heavy snow*

1. Nathan says:

Very cool picture Travis! It looks like something we would see in mid-January. And ironically enough, we had thunderstorms only 24 hours ago with record rainfall!

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Thank you! It was snowing really hard with big flakes for quite a while. It showed up nicely in our yard light.

2. Nathan says:

I was watching The Weather Channel earlier (As in all day because I was sick) and Greg was explaining how these cool diverge boundaries form near the Florida coastline (East coast). Apparently the cold fronts thunderstorms were being enhanced as the moisture from both systems interacted together. It was very cool! Maybe someone could explain this in more detail, thats all I know. Thanks!

1. Cort S. says:

I haven’t looked at the wx charts near Florida, but I think I know what he’s talking about. Did he say divergence or convergence? I feel like it would be convergence.

In order for air to readily rise and create/enhance rain and thunderstorms, you want to look for diverging air at the top of the troposphere (jet stream or thunderstorm anvil level), and converging air at/near the ground. If you have those two things over top of the same area, then air in the middle of the troposphere is going to rise to replace the air that is being removed by divergence. Here is an illustration of this effect on the scale of low-pressure systems:

Thunderstorm updrafts are a much smaller-scale phenomenon than a low-pressure system, but the same idea is true. If there is some way that you can get air to converge near the ground, this will provide a air-lifting mechanism to the help the warm air near the ground break through the cap. If it does, and if that air is warm/moist (unstable) enough, instability takes over and the updraft accelerates upwards and forms a big cumulonimbus. What are some ways to get these convergence boundaries near the ground? Sea breeze fronts, lake breeze fronts, cold fronts, drylines are some examples.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Very interesting Cort! Yes, he was referring to convergence near the Florida coastline where the different boundaries of air clashed together. You could actually a see a skinny streak of green on radar near the coastline and another streak of green farther inland. I would say each band of rain was about 20-40 miles long (Hard to tell) and each thunderstorm was actually enhanced when it passed through the convergence band! It was awesome!

3. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I added Forest Hills to my name so there is no confusion as to where I am reporting from. Hope that helps!

Yay, new page, a new normal for the blog… back to weather!

I am wondering if that snow is going to make it over here.

5. soccer6713 says:

I just had to clean snow off my car this evening to come home from an event I attended in Hastings. Enough snow on our deck to shovel:(

6. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I’ve seen reports of over an inch near Allegan. I just measured a half inch here on our deck.

April 19, 2013. Brrrr.

I have lived in G.R. , for 57 years and Can Not Remember ! Such and EXTREME APRIL Here !!!!!!! Any body Help me Out if I Wrong ! Cort, Bill ?

1. Cort S. says:

The rainiest April in GR history already. And I don’t know where the month’s average temperature is going to end up in history, but I looked through the snowfall records for this time of year…

Grand Rapids’ snowfall records:

April 17 … 1.3″ (1964)
          April 18 … 1.8″ (2011)
          April 19 … 1.0″ (1953)
          April 20 … 0.4″ (1943)
          April 21 … 2.0″ (1924)

Here are GR’s temperatures so far this month (click here). The top edge of the green area is the normal high, and the bottom edge of the green area is the normal low.

2. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

I’m going to see if my sister has that picture….years ago (cannot even remember when it was), my mom took a black and white picture of our backyard in May – might have been around May 10th or 11th, of at least 2 inches of snow and it covered our picnic table. Since my parents deaths, my eldest sister has all the family pictures stored in chests in her finished basement….except she lives in Detroit! I’ll have to email her to dig that picture out and give me the date! I certainly cannot remember it, and I am almost 62.

Thank- You VERY MUCH CORT ! For the INFO. You and your Comments and Links, have Taught Me Soooooo Much, since I have been on Bill’ s Blog. May God Bless You Richly, for all You do and Say !

4. Cort S. says:

Very welcome, Jack.

Marti… As far as the records for GR go, here are some possible dates in the 1950s:

May 3, 1954 … 1.3″
          May 4, 1954 … 0.4″
          May 5, 1954 … 0.4″

Depending on the location of your backyard, your actual snowfall results may vary.

I just want to throw this in, because I thought it was cool. May 9, 1923, and May 10, 1909… both 5.5″ ! Wow! If your mom’s picture of snow occurred on May 9 or 10, then that event must have gotten buried underneath the records from 1923 and 1909.

2. Red in Allegan Co. says:

I just got back from downtown Allegan and it was snowing hard. Not so much out here were we live.

My car is covered and the ground is white. So wrong.

8. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

HURRY JUNE!!

1. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

Yes, please hurry! I’m going to retire in June and start collecting social security retirement. It can’t get here fast enough! :)

With this cold April night in mind.. It now looks like it could stay on the cool to cold side well into May and there are some indications that we will have a cool to maybe cool/wet summer as well. I guess you can call it the CPC’s curse if you will.
    Its 32° here with some snow still sticking on the ground/cars ect

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Hey Slim. Can you give a link to the models that show a cool to wet summer. I can’t find them. Thanks.

Only if you can show me the models that showed cold and wet spring

10. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Those here on the blog know how many times Bill has said “don’t drive thru standing water on roads”, right?

This 3 1/2 minute video pretty much sums it up. Pretty amazing to see what water can do to a road:

11. BeckyA says:

The ground is covered with snow here, it is hard to believe so I took a picture. Don’t know how to post a picture here. The river here in Nashville, Michigan is flooding also.

12. Tyler says:

Yesterday we had a heavy snow shower come through the area for an hour and it was done. Today we had the same thing about noon. It came down hard mixed in with sleet. Right now at this minute it is sleeting. I had a half an inch of snow on my car when I came home from work. Duluth has over 36 inches of snow for the month of April! St Cloud Minnesota just recorded their snowiest April ever at 22 inches. Minneapolis St Paul picked up another 6.4 inches yesterday putting them at 13.2 inches for the month of April. Marquette is at 17.9 inches for the month but added another 4.1 inches earlier today! Denver Colorado is at 15.7 inches and Cheyenne Wyoming is at 27.9 inches for the month of April!

13. BeckyA says:

The ground is covered with snow here in Nashville, Michigan tonight. Took a picture but don’t know how to post pictures on this blog. The river is flooding in Nashville also.