Weekend

April 20th, 2013 at 3:09 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Flooding downtown G.R. by The Nomad at ReportIt   Jet Ski in Flood at Johnson Park kendallsamuels at reportit The first picture is flooding downtown (from “The Nomad” at ReportIT.  Here it is enlarged).   Water is up to the first floor windows of the Northwestern Mutual Building – they had to evacuate that floor with water leaking in.  They are using pumps to take water of the basements of several downtown buildings, including the Amway Grand Plaza and the Marriott Hotel.   The second picture (from Kendall at ReportIt. Here it is full-sized) is someone out on a jetski in the floodwaters at Johnson Park.  We picked up half-an-inch of snow before 1 AM at the Ford Airport.  That brings our season snowfall total to 65.8″.  We’ll see a few flurries yet this morning.  We’ve had a couple dozen slide-offs with the snow and temperatures falling below freezing causing some puddles to ice up.  Be careful driving early this AM and early Sunday.  If you think it’s winter here…check out this webcam picture of the snowman at Krupp’s Resort in the U.P. at Twin Lakes, where they’ve had lots more snow and driving.  As I write this around 3 AM Sat., the weather at Copper Harbor is snow, 22 degrees, a wind NNE at 29 mph with gusts to 39 mph and a wind chill factor of +6.  The high temperatures north of Lake Superior stayed in the teens on Friday!   Note that it was 15 degrees warmer in Maine Friday than it was at Gulfport MS and Mobile AL.   Here’s the latest flood warnings and the latest from the GRR NWS on the flooding.   We’ve got 3 basically dry days coming up.  We’ll get 1/2 – 1″ of rain Tuesday/Tuesday night and a few hundredths of an inch of rain (or a mix of rain and snow) on Thursday.  If you take flood pictures, we’d love to see them at ReportIt, or send them to us in an email.

Through Friday, we’ve had 14 consecutive days with measurable rain.  During that time we’ve had 9.84″ of rain, making this the wettest April ever.  Also, over the last 15 days, we’ve had only 14.2% sunshine.  The average for April is 52%.  The 3.3″ of rain on 4/18 was the wettest calendar day ever in April in G.R. and one of only 16 days going back to the late 1800s with 3.3″ of rain in a calendar day.

25 Responses to “Weekend”

1. bluegill says:

The ground is white again in NE Grand Traverse county. 145″ YTD. Uncle!

I’d say A2 received about a half inch of snow last night.

The SNOW and COLD continues! Amazing! It looks like I am heading up to Boyne MT again today! They have a 20 to 40 inch base and are opening up the slopes at 9:30 this morning. This makes 15 weekends in a row with FANTASTIC skiing conditions! I love it! ROCK n ROLL will never die baby!!

Okay Old Man Winter’s last hurrah. C’mon spring.

Its cloudy here with some snow on the ground and the temp is still a cold 31° and that is up from the 28 I had earlier. The Whitecaps have a doubleheader starting at 1PM today. For anyone interested the lawn tickets are only a dollar. But boy its going to be cold.

I have posted this link before but for you winter lovers here are some more UP snow cams for you.

and

It very well looks like there will be snow on the ground at the start of May in parts of Michigan’s UP and I would not be too surprised to if they have snow piles well into May. The poor people up there must be getting real sick of it by now.

It looks GREAT up there!!

I had to shovel the heavy snow/sleet/graupel mix piled against my front door to get it open this morning. It was only about 1/2″ deep on the deck – but was about 6″ deep against the house. Big sigh……

Today could be one of the coldest April 20th here in Grand Rapids history. The coldest maximum temps for today are a tie of 37° in 1914 and 1943 and in 3rd place is 41° in 1950. I now have 32° here with snow flurries. That 37 should be safe but I do not know about the 41° there are a lot of 20’s to our northwest. Now for the overnight low the record before midnight (4/20) will hold as its 13° back in 1897 and in 2nd place is 20 in 1904 and 3rd is 22 in 1983 But for after midnight (4/21) the coldest is 22 in 1953 and then a pair of 25° nights in 1983 and 1975 that 25° low could be matched or broken tonight and even the 22° may be reached.
    slimjim

9. Jerry hoag says:

This is a silly question, where is Johnson Park?

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Take 28th st west intil it crosses the grand river in grandville. that turns into wilson and its on the north side on wilson.

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

its a pretty amazing sight right now. well worth a drive bye.

2. Cort S. says:

Wilson & Butterworth, just north of the river, downstream of Millennium Park.

10. Jerry hoag says:

Cause I am wonering if my house is still safe or I should take my faimily to safety? I am nearest to Butterworth and Garfield. I was told by my sister that her son-in-law was told not to come into work at the Coca Cola Plant because it is flooded and that is only a block or 2 away but I don’t see anything???? So I am very confused and worried for my family, esp. For my grandkid and wife! Thanks, and GOD bless!

1. Cort S. says:

There is a large field between you and the river, behind Coca-Cola. How is it looking? Is the river out of its banks and in the field? How much higher elevation would you estimate your house is compared to where the where the river level is now? The river gauge downtown is currently at 21 feet and should climb an additional foot or foot-and-a-half, though it’s uncertain how much because a flood like this has never happened before.

11. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

i Love going through all four seasons in 24 hours –
    said no one from Michigan ever.

12. Todd A (from Holland, in GR) says:

Per MDOT – M-21 (Fulton Street) is closed at the Flat River in Lowell due to water over the road. That one will hurt.

1. Cort S. says:

Here’s Lowell: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=grr&gage=lwlm4
      It’s on its way up to record flooding, though hopefully should stop short of reaching the “major flood” category.

13. Nathan says:

Ada is flooded ill send Bill videos soon!

14. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We still have a few patches of snow on the deck with a temp of 36°. It looks like next Saturday will be the first Saturday I haven’t seen snow since early January maybe?

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Maybe even early December possibly.

15. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

12Z GFS shows a HUGE warmup on May 1st. Think it will actually happen this time?

1. SW Kent says:

no…..but I sure hope it does.

16. Undergrowth is beginning in the woods. Nice to see things getting more spring looking around here. The trees are budding where i am too. With 60 Monday and Tuesday. and 63 next Sunday, the undergrowth should get taller and the leaves should slowly start popping out

17. Mike M. says:

The river is finally spilling onto West River Road as you get down to Northland Dr. I feel bad for the people so adversely affected but its really beautiful on a sunny , breezy afternoon.