Flood/No Flood and Model Update

April 21st, 2013 at 3:11 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Grand Haven no Flood Charlie Rozema Check out tGrand Haven Flood Charlie Rozemahese pictures from Charlie Rozema.  This is standing in the same spot (see the rock at the bottom of the pictures) at the Southern Grand Marina on the Grand River near Grand Haven. This picture on the left is normal water levels early last summer, and the picture on the right  is Saturday PM (4/20)

Model update:  The overnight European model has these rainfall forecast totals for Tuesday/Tuesday night then Thursday:  Grand Rapids 0.51″, 0.26″    Kalamazoo 0.44″, 0.26″   Lansing 0.28″, 0.22″   Jackson 0.28″, 0.19″   Muskegon 0.69″, 0.20″   Big Rapids 0.73″, 0.19″   Holland 0.59″, 0.22″.      The GFS gives G.R. 0.86″ Tues./Tues. Night and just 0.04″ on Thursday.   The NAM (caribou) has 0.46″ for G.R. for Tue./Tue. night     Both the GFS and European have our temperature at 850 mb (a constant pressure surface usually a little shy of a mile above ground) at -4C on Thursday.  That’s betting borderline for some mixed snow.

8 Responses to “Flood/No Flood and Model Update”

1. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

No more snow and cold please. I’d like to get outside, do some yard work, play some golf and do some serious walking.

1. Ned S. (Now in South Holland) says:

I also don’t want to trivialize the flooding and hardships going on in the area because of the flooding. I’m praying for everyone who is suffering. I’ve dealt with floods myself and it ain’t fun.

I agree Ned and I have to say everyone in the city of Grand Rapids should be thankful for the flood wall, Without that wall there would have been a lot more property damage and a lot more people suffering. But my heart goes out for those who live and work in the locations where the flooding is the worst.

Yesterday was one of the coldest April 20ths in history of Grand Rapids here are the top 3 coldest April days and temps on April 20th 4/20 37 in 1943 37 in 1914 41 in 1950. And last nights low was close to the record low for April 21st. Its now getting late April so its more then time for it to warm up. Its now 40° here at 10AM so today will be a lot nicer then yesterday. And tomorrow Monday should be the nicest day of this week.

3. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

I am back. Made it back to dry land here in Hastings. I live a very short distance from the Thornapple River. I wish it would warm up alittle. Bill, you and Storm Team 8 and Woodtv 8 news team has done a wonderful job of reporting on this flood. I rather see flood damage, than tornado damage.

4. Jevon Murphy (Chicago) says:

Speaking of flooding, I think it’s pretty funny that the NOAA/NHC only decided to retire the name ‘Sandy’, when another storm also caused a tremendous amt. of flooding/damgage ‘Isaac’! Out of the two storms, even though ‘Sandy’ reeked more havoc, I think that Isaac should be the name to retire because ‘he’ actually came ashore as a tropical system and ‘Sandy’ didn’t! Even Chief (Senior) Meteorologist Stu Ostro of The Weather Channel was suprised that NOAA/NHC didn’t retire the name ‘Isaac’.

5. whatBillwantstosaybutcant says:

I am confused as to why people would build anywhere near an area prone to flooding? Even if it is a 100 year event. I have a hard time with this logic.

1. where's my check? says:

If the gum’ment keeps pass’n money out, folks is alwaze gonna have they hands out.