Hummingbirds Arriving in Mich.

April 26th, 2013 at 2:11 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

hummingbird   Hummingbirds are starting to arrive in Lower Michigan.  It’s time to put out the feeders.  In Michigan, you might see Ruby-throated, Rufous, Broad-billed, Green Violet-ear, White-eared hummingbirds.  The Ruby-throated is the most common.  The Green Violet-ear and Broad-billed are least common.  Here’s more on Michigan hummingbirds and more with pics.   Here’s some interesting hummingbird facts.

36 Responses to “Hummingbirds Arriving in Mich.”

Amazing Myths and Facts

Myth: Hummingbirds migrate on the backs of geese.
    Fact: NO! Hummingbirds and Canada Geese migrate at different times, live in different habitats, and migrate to different areas.

Myth: Hummingbirds suck nectar.
    Fact: Hummingbirds do not suck nectar. They place their open bill into the feeder and lick up the nectar at a high rate of speed.

Myth: Hummingbirds eat from only red flowers.
    Fact: Yes, hummingbirds are attracted to red, but you need only to observe them for a short period to realize that they will eat from any color of nectar-producing flowers.

I Love watching HUMMERS ! Stay…Cued ! ;-)

3. Skot says:

Wesome weather shaping up. Those buggers will be here soon!!!

4. Skot says:

* Awesome

5. Majid Ali says:

Bird watching is my favorite hobby and hummingbirds are my favorite birds. The beautiful sound they make is soothing for ears. I live in countryside where humming bird humming each day is like living in a paradise.

6. Dan (Rockford) says:

It’s not related to hummingbirds, but we have cool sun-dogs in the sky this morning.

Well we made it within 4° of a record low in Detroit. Another cold morning. Let the warm up begin!

Its not only been a cold spring in our area but also well to our north in Alaska as well look at how cold its been in Fairbanks for this month.

And Anchorage

Of course in Michigan’s UP while it looks to warm up there and much of their snow will be gone by early next week its still rather winter like this AM there with a good bit of snow on the ground.

Here it looks to be more spring like today and much more spring like for the next several days. it’s a nice and sunny 46° here this AM

10. Mary NE Van Buren Co. says:

Oh geez! I’m still buying suet cakes for the woodpeckers and cardinals. I have a pair of goldfinches who have been visiting my feeder for the past week.

Hummingbirds LOVE the color fuchsia. When I’ve worn shirts that color they fly right up to my face. Of course, it scares the heck out of me since you think a giant bee is coming after you. I’ve almost swatted at a few until I realized it was a bird!

I’ve been wondering how this incredibly-late Spring is affecting critters – nothing much is blooming yet, so what will the Hummers do other than rely on homeowners for food? What about my bats? I have a nice colony living in a “Bat Condo” – they’ve got to be STARVING by this late in the year! I still have migratory ducks hanging around in Gun Lake – normally they’re long gone by now. But they all seem to manage somehow – last night, for as cold as it was; I could still hear the Spring Peepers singing their songs… :-)

1. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

My old bat is asleep in bed…just joking.

12. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

Just put out my 2 feeders, 1/4 sugar to 1 cup of water. With only 1 Feeder the Females are so aggressive! Shure are scrappers!! Sign of warmer weather!!!

1. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

I saw that as well. I can’t imagine it will end up happening….I’ll put it at a .00000001 chance of it. The last cut off, late season low that I can remember that had a similar path was the one that hit the east side of the state in middle of April. I think the thumb area got nailed with heavy, wet snow.

2. Cort S. says:

Bad news: Both the GFS and Euro have wanted to produce an upper-level cut-off low somewhere in or around the Great Lakes for the past several days. This cut-off low would plague us toward the later portion of next week.

The GFS is particularly aggressive with the latest run:

The Euro has been cutting off the low in the Plains instead of the Great Lakes. However, the 00Z run last night had it cutting off on the Great Lakes.

If the jet stream does not pick the low back up shortly after dropping it off, these cut-off lows can sit over the same region for days and days.

Anybody remember May 2006? That week of Tulip Time was cold and rainy as the low sat right over us. The Kinderparade was even canceled because of rain on Thursday and Friday. This is what it looked like:

1. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

Oh yuck. I have an outdoor wedding to attend next weekend.

13. Nathan says:

Bill whats up with your Tweet from two hours ago!! Is it really going to get cold enough for frozen precipitation!

14. mr. negative says:

An accidental mild stretch, while our “reality” is nothing more than more cold, more snow.

1. Tom in Alger Heights says:

15. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

I wouldn’t get too excited quite yet about next weekend. The cut off low could end up just about anywere in the east half of the US.

16. Jeff (Portland) says:

Get your sun tanning in while you can over the next several days. It’s gonna cool off and back to below normal temps through May!

“MAY”-be, or”MAY”beNOT………;-)

1. Jeff (Portland) says:

Well Jack.. I’m hoping not :)

17. SW Kent says:

I see highs in the mid 40′s next Friday and Saturday.

Keep the GREAT golf weather rolling! ROCK n ROLL baby!!

Have FUN Golfing ROCKY !!!!! Remember THIS When You out on Theeeee LINKS : http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/mlb/thunderroars_goindoors.jpg. Lol….;-)

19. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

I love to drink my coffee from my bright red cup. The hummingbirds get real close to my red cup, never been attack(so far…haha).

20. David says:

this story started off about birds and ended up focusing on weather.? and I thought us “Bird Geeks” were nerds!

21. big Daddy BC says:

“RUBY-THROATED hummingbirds are migrating to North America weeks earlier than in decades past, and research indicates that higher temperatures in their winter habitat may be the reason.

Researchers say the early arrival could mean less food at nesting time for the tiny birds that feed on insect pests, help pollinate flowers and are popular with birdwatchers.”

“The research compared data on their first arrival times from 1890 to 1969 with arrival times during the past 15 years or so.

The comparison found that the birds are arriving in North America 12 to 18 days earlier than in the past.”

I guess no one told THEM that global warming is a liberal conspiracy.

That could be because it’s cold where they are migrating from! Of course, this March-April has been the coldest in the U.S. since at least 1996 (some say 1975). In G.R., February was 2 deg. colder than average, March was 4.1 deg. colder than average and April will end up about 3.5 deg. colder than average. Now we have hundreds of people reporting the first hummers. We didn’t have that in 1969 much less 1890.

April 1-28 is 1.494 degree Celsius COLDER than average in North America: http://models.weatherbell.com/climate/ncep_cfsr_noram_t2m_anom.png Duluth has had their snowiest month EVER! Look at the areas more than 10 degrees colder than average this month in the Dakotas, Alaska and the Yukon: http://models.weatherbell.com/climate/ncep_cfsr_noram_t2m_anom.pnghttp://models.weatherbell.com/climate/ncep_cfsr_noram_t2m_anom.png

BTW, you guys said “Alaska is the canary in the coal mine” regarding so called “global warming”. How’s that working out for ya: Fairbanks is now 14.5 degrees COLDER THAN AVERAGE for April…average temp. 17.7. Wow! Think I better get an extra cord of firewood split up for next winter.

1. big Daddy BC says:

Keep those extremist links coming. I love it when you substitute politics for science…shows your true intentions. I also love when you insert weather information in for climate. LOL Hey it’s cold in Alaska, must be the start of another ice age! This just in, the Moon’s NOT made of cheese.

Pretty weak response. Global temperatures are NOT rising:

Even James Hansen admits it:

“The five-year mean global temperature has been flat for the last decade…” – James Hansen et al.

Alaska’s cold, Europe’s cold, Russia’s cold, the Antarctic icecap is at a record extent. The U.S. now has gone “the longest period the nation has gone without a hit from a major hurricane since the government began keeping records in 1851.” (source: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/hurricane/story/2012-08-14/hurricane-prepared-katrina/57192442/1).

22. Buffy Lowe says:

I live in SE Mich and have a couple of questions:

1) Anyone have a guess as to why I saw my first hummer May 1 but not another one since?

2) What kind of flowers so South Michiganders plant to attrack hummers?

Thanks, Buffy

I haven’t seen many at my feeder the last couple weeks either. I don’t know why. Here’s some flowers that might attract hummingbirds: http://landscaping.about.com/cs/forthebirds/a/hummingbirds.htm At my place they have always been attracted to the red color.