Sunday Showers

April 28th, 2013 at 8:09 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local    There’s still a few light showers and sprinkles southeast of a line from Kalamazoo to Alma.  They’ll move off to the SE and Monday will be partly cloudy and low 70s in the PM.  With the clouds it’s been a little cooler today.  The overnight models are on board with warm weather for much of this week here, with the cooler air staying mainly off to our west for the next 4 or 5 days.  On the European model, the warmest day is Weds., with highs at least into the low 80s, but even Friday is low 70s, then it turns cooler next Sat.  The European for Grand Rapids has 0.1″ of rain today (higher amounts south), 1/4″ Monday night into Tues., 1/3rd inch Thurs. night into Friday and 1/4″ on Sat.

For current Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s WOOD-TV Interactive Radar, looping radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures and the HPC snowfall predictions. Here’s NAM model snowfall thru 84 hours, the GFS snowfall thru 120 hours.

19 Responses to “Sunday Showers”

1. Hugh says:

I want to take this opportunity to thank Bill Steffen and the Storm Team associates for their dedicated service to our community!!! These folks were there, for us, and during the flood period. The flood reports were great and even the receding was tracked by use of debris lines. Thank you all for a great job. You have my greatest respect :)

1. cbm says:

It’s all well and great to report the weather but how did that help any of us who lost almost every thing in the flood, debris lines are you kidding me???

1. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

They did a great job letting us know that all of that rain was coming. It alerted me early enough to get everything off of my basement floor, and to make sure my sump pumps were in good working order, which minimized the misery at our home. We have spent the past week vacuuming water out of our basement anyway, but the effects would have been far worse without their warning. Anything of value is safe, and carpet can be replaced.

I’m sorry for your troubles, but are you mad at the meteorologists for the weather?

1. cbm says:

I am not mad at Bill I am disgusted people pray for storms and bad weather that effects real people like my self and my family who is already struggling in this rotten economy.

It’s a cloudy but by this years standards a warm 57° here this AM. The grass is now nice and green and growing fast. I will have to get the old mower out and cut the grass this week. Of course there are areas I have to patch up from last summer so it will be cut here and plant there. I will still hold off on planting the garden until at least mid May. As we know there is still a good bit of snow cover to our north and the lakes are very cold and will be cold for some time to come.

On the snow to our north note I see the snow in the central UP is going fast (probably not fast enough for those who live there)

And they are even making some progress on the snow melt in the western UP but still have a little ways to go yet.

I still can see where there will be parking lot snow piles there well into May

3. big Daddy BC says:

“This endless cycle of wildfires, droughts, rainstorms and floods leaves a trail of death, injury and destruction that hurts communities, damages our health and undermines our economy. Extreme weather events cost us billions in property damages each year. And when you factor in health-related costs, the total tally increases by billions more.”

1. Clarence says:

Stop with the liberal agenda. Things are terrible and dangerous in Grand Rapids, but its the fault of God and not the fault of man

1. Gary says:

Well, an act of God, not actually a “fault” per se …

I thought it was called global warming? They only talk about the US.

Has that site made any reference to how horribly cool this spring has been?

If it’s an “endless cycle” it’s natural and has nothing to do with CO2 in the atmosphere (of course CO2 emissions in the U.S. are falling: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/in-a-surprise-co2-emissions-hit-20-year-low/1#.UX8bEErou3M You guys sure didn’t see that one coming! The U.S. is the ONLY country to meet our Kyoto Protocal target for CO2!).

Fires have been worse in the past (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire), droughts have been worse in the past (http://www.siskiyous.edu/shasta/env/drought/1934in.gif), rainstorms have been worse in the past (http://www.insidervlv.com/WeatherRecordRain.html) and floods have been worse in the past (http://blogs.woodtv.com/files/2013/04/grand-river-cfs-historic.png).

The Natural Resources Defense Council? Really?

Officers and Key Employees of NRDC: figures from 2006

Name Title Compensation

JOHN H ADAMS FOUNDING PRESIDENT $461,164
      JOHN H ADAMS PRESIDENT Salary $266,810
      Benefits $29,490
      JOHN H ADAMS COMBINED INCOME $757,464
      FRANCES BEINECKE PRESIDENT Salary $252,327
      Benefits $27,510
      JACK MURRAY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR Salary $196,850
      Benefits $21,191
      JUDY KEEFER FINANCE DIRECTOR Salary $179,350
      Benefits $$25,682
      PATRICIA SULLIVAN DEPUTY DIRECTOR Salary $163,610

4. Mindy ( Mason MI ) says:

Now religion is thrown in a Weather Blog……GOOD GRIEF !!!!!!!

1. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

Even if you don’t believe in God, to blame the flooding around here on anything man made is grasping at straws.

1. Clarence says:

That is true. My family and my son agree with you. I am sorry. I just think that god is all powerful and gives the hard working people of Grand Rapids several terrible things to deal with on a daily basis. I am selling food stamps to stock up on guns for protection. I love bills show, but am worried that his forecast is going to kill us all.

5. Gary says:

Bill, pardon me for being out of date but I hadn’t heard of “the European Model” until now so I did a little research. According to a fascinating article[1] at National Geographic, the Europeans have far surpassed the US in weather forecasting, and the biggest single reason is that the US has misappropriated computing resources. The Nat. Geo. article links to a somewhat technical blog[2] which describes how the US system could be brought up to date at very little cost by simply re-purposing some wasted NOAA computer power.

What can we as citizens do to encourage such action?

[1] — http://bit.ly/10LVrgt
    [2] — http://bit.ly/10LVuJl

6. Mike (Mattawan) says:

Im glad the warmer weather is going to be in place this week! Hopefully this will give the ground a chance to dry up and for those in flood ravaged areas to be able to clean up with less trouble.

1. Irish coffee says:

This week’s wx includes fire(wild) threat..albeit low, no. lower already has had a few in past several days—floods!, fires!…where’s the LOCUSTS?!