May in the U.P.

May 1st, 2013 at 8:20 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

tech cam   This is a still off one of the trail cameras at Michigan Tech.  Here’s some snow depths from the morning of Weds. May 1:  20″ Big Bay, 18″ Hoist Basin, 11″ Atlantic Mine and 1.6 miles ESE of Houghton, 8″ Watton and 3″ Marquette.  While we were in the low-mid 80s, it was only in the mid-upper 30s in the western U.P. this Weds.   They’ll be (snow) skiing this Saturday at Boyne Mt., and Mt. Bohemia (where they have had 308″ of snow this winter and where they say they may very well be open the weekend of the 11th-12th!)  are open this weekend.  Ski Brule just closed.  On their website they say:  “Conditions were one of the best on record!”.  Also, got this from Craig James:  “The low temperature at Umiat AK was -25F this AM and the low was a bone-chilling -24 at Deadhorse AK.  These temperatures may have established new monthly records for the coldest temperature recorded in Alaska during the month of May!”   Here’s the Snowman Cam from Krupp’s Resort at Twin Lakes.

15 Responses to “May in the U.P.”

1. Brad says:

If Christianity were to be banned,

would peace spread throughout this goodly land?

1. Blue Moon says:

all we are sayin, is give peace a chance

The South Park episode “Go God Go” has your answer, but not to the great promise.

3. Jo Anne says:

No, Brad! Evil would just take over! Peace to you and may God bless you!

How did that work out before there was Christianity?

Yeah, name me all the Roman government entitlements that Jesus wanted expanded. The Bible says “the borrower is slave to the lender” and this country has a 17 TRILLION dollar debt. The Jewish-Christian tradition supports private property. That’s why we’re commanded not to covet our neighbor’s goods.

2. Marti B (Grandville area) says:

Do they ever get decent weather way, way up there? I don’t talk to my elderly friend in L’anse very often, but at least L’anse is in the lower part of the UP.

1. Slimjim says:

No L’anse is just south of Houghton. And yes they do get nice there once in a while. When we were there last year it was very nice the days we were in Houghton (it was in the upper 70′s and low 80′s with mid to upper 60′s at night) In other parts of the UP it was hot but that was last year.
      Slimjim

3. Barb says:

I’m planning to open my cottage by this weekend so I can go up next week. I understand most of the snow is gone in the northern lower except in the woods.

1. Slimjim says:

With many highs in the upper 70′s to the mid. 80′s I would think almost all of the would be gone except for the big snow piles and the ski hills.. There may be some snow in some spots.
      Slimjim

4. Tyler (Escanaba) says:

Snow is gone here. Not many snowbanks left. I think there are some just west of town cause they plow into shaded spots. I am happy I dont live up in the Houghton, Ironwood or Marquette area. Our grass is green now but not growing yet. No leaves on the trees yet here. Any leaves on the trees down there at all Bill or anywhere else in Lower MI?

Leafs, On some Trees Here N.E. G.R. Woods in Backyard are Greening up Nicely !! Simply Beautiful .. Stay Cued ! :-)

5. Tyler (Escanaba) says:

I see there is a snowstorm coming up from Northeast Colorado to Minnesota right now. For all these areas to get snow in May is incredible! Minneapolis in my honest opinion during a warm spring gets just as warm as Grand Rapids and the summers are a little hotter then G.R. there. The winters are colder in Minneapolis though then even the Southern U.P.