MODIS Satellite Picture of Lake Michigan

June 19th, 2013 at 8:39 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

modis lake michigan 4    This is the MODIS Lake Michigan Satellite Picture from this afternoon.  Click on the image or click here to enlarge.  With all the rain, there is a lot of deep, green color to the land.  A lot of fields are somewhat bare, given that the corn and soybeans are pretty small here on June 19th.  You can see the cumulus clouds didn’t form over Lake Michigan or in the “shadow” of the lake breezes.  Yes, you can still see the tornado scar WNW of Green Bay from a twister that moved through a forested area in June 2007.  Here’s pictures of Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.  Also, check out this rare mostly clear view of Alaska (huge, warm ridge over Alaska now) and this cool picture of the volcano and it’s steam on the island of  Guau in the South Pacific (part of Vanuatu).   The volcano is 25 miles wide at it’s base underwater and rises 10,000 feet above the ocean floor.  Most of the volcano is underwater.  The island is about 12 miles across.

Also, pictures of the Griffins Homecoming.

12 Responses to “MODIS Satellite Picture of Lake Michigan”

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Awesome! Hey Bill, do you know of a link for water temps of inland lakes?

I’m always up at Lake Charlevoix but can never find the water temp (outside of some fishing blogs updated now and then).

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Technically, Lake Charlevoix is warmed up Lake Michigan water, so even a buoy nearby in the big water would be helpful.

I wish we could get some water temps. from inland lakes. If anyone out there can take a temp. of an inland lake and put in on the blog as a comment, I’d appreciate it. I always have a thermometer in my car. When I’m out swimming or kayaking, I like to get a water temp.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

The best website for inland water temp is this fishing website I found, updated daily most of the time:

Temperatures listed on upper left.

2. Tyce says:

Round Lake by Green Lake (NE Allegan County) was 79 by my thermometer last night. That was right at the surface. Is there a specific depth we should use?

Two Sundays ago I sailed down here and capsized three times, the water was very nice down here in Base Line Lake. That is the only lake I have my personal data on =)

3. Teresa says:

Love the pictures. Hey, Bill, my husband wants to cut more hay but looks like chances of rain beginning Fri/Sat through mid-week. We live in central Calhoun County, and so far, we seem to have missed a lot of the rain. Was wondering what the chances are for rain in south central Michigan this weekend. We actually could use the rain.

Tues. thru Friday is the dry period this week. You’ll have a chance of a shower or t-shower on Saturday (50-50), a slight chance on Sunday (30%) and a chance of a shower or storm on Monday. These will be scattered, but at some point over the weekend into Monday, you’ll likely pick up an hour or two’s worth of rain.

4. Dan says:

Absolutely perfect weather outside! Summer time in West Michigan! Get out and enjoy it! The heat gets turned up over the next few days, should help to get the big lake warmer. I know, it takes awhile. Is the temp of the water still running around 55 degrees or so?

Beach water temps. were between 55 and 60 today.

5. michael g (SE GR) says:

So, NOAA says this was the third warmest May ever!! OR what was actually recorded, .024*C BELOW the 30 year average. Doublespeak at it’s finest.

I saw a bit on TWC yesterday, and one of the gals was talking about the tropical storm in the gulf. She also mentioned how THIS YEAR they are predicting above normal tropical storms and hurricanes. Funny how they’ve been saying that for so many years now, and the last several have featured the exact opposite.