Northern Lights in Michigan

July 15th, 2013 at 10:21 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Aurora - Mackinac Bridge - Neil Weaver Photography   Click the picture to enlarge.   This is the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) seen last night at the Mackinac Bridge, courtesy of Neil Weaver Photography.  Here’s the Northern Lights over Lake Superior.  Here’s James Bay, Canada, with the aurora as green as the trees and the aurora peeking out from the clouds at Copper Harbor, Michigan, and the aurora in Beecher, Wisconsin.

8 Responses to “Northern Lights in Michigan”

1. Sally says:

kp was only a 4…it’s a 3 now. I sure wish we could see these here. Next time it’s a 4, I am heading North!

1. liz says:

is around 4 oclock u said>> is there anyway to know when ….???

1. sally says:

This is where Bill gets his information. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Scroll down in the far left column until you see kp=2 or what ever it is at the time. Bill says if it hits 5 or 6 we should see the Northern Lights in our area provided we have a clear sky!

2. Clarence says:

My son has been bugging me to post that the northern lights are the best he has ever seen. He laughs and thinks bills post is funny. So why does he and his friends keep talking about waiting for more northern lights. If anyone knows please give me an idea why kids love them.

3. Jay S. says:

Sweet picture!

4. Dale Niesen says:

Bill,

Thanks for sharing my photo of the northern lights from Copper Harbor. I will be posting some images to my web site taken in your viewing area at Silver Lake, Michigan of Little Sable Lighthouse on Sunday night and Monday morning July 14/15. Photography is a hobby I enjoy by day I work in a auto factory.

Regards,
    Dale Niesen

Thanks, Dale – I really appreciate it. Here’s more cool pictures from Dale: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17962315@N06/

5. Janaya smith says:

Do you know what kp the storm was? I am really wanting to view the aurora borealis and there is a possible storm in the next couple days. I am trying to figure out where to go.