Skeeter Meter

July 20th, 2013 at 5:08 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

animated-mosquito     We’re a little more than halfway thru summer.  Some areas have had more than than others (up to 2″ along I-94 Fri. evening).  Leave a comment  and let us know how the bugs are in your neck of the woods…skeeters, fireflies, butterflies, etc.

30 Responses to “Skeeter Meter”

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

Been sitting outside for over an hour. Skeeters not bad untill the last 10 mins. Lots of fireflies in the early hours after dark. Not a lot of butterflies,but had a big green moth last Sun hanging on the screen door for most of the day. 3 inch wing span with a dot/circle on the wings. Birds are starting to sing now and a good cloud cover,73 temp.

1. Brad says:

Luna moth?

2. Resourceful Nana says:

Just 0.45″ and no wind when we finally got some rain last night. Brings my total for the month to an even inch. Cicadas have been calling (or whatever they do) for past four days. Mosquitoes were bad for about a week–biting at all hours–but have diminished the last couple of days. No monarchs, but lots and lots of milkweed. Don’t know what to think about that. Not many other butterflies, either, even though I have lots of flowers in the garden. Fireflies up to two years ago were prolific but have been fewer in number last year and again this year. You didn’t ask about mammals, but: Racoons have stripped my nectarine tree and broke several branches in the process. They also know how to peel open a pea pod and just take the fresh peas! Woodchucks and rabbits have cleared the lettuce patch. The deer nibble here and there as well. We “raise” healthy wildlife! The goldfinch can’t hardly stand the wait for sunflower seeds to develop. Saw a bald eagle on my walk this morning.

3. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

Big disappointment in the rain…….just .03″ rain and alot of lightning. Looks like everything missed us to the south.

Skeeters have eased, now they are somewhat bearable during the day.

Lots of fireflies, best ever, but butterflies are down. Still waiting for butterfly bushes to bloom.

I suspected you guys in YS Twp were getting cheated last night. We got 2/10ths; those storms cells were just touching the south side of the lake.

Mosquitoes are still being controlled by the residents of our “Bat Condo” – but the wild critter-visitors to our yard are leaving ample fleas for my dogs :-( Have also picked a few ticks off them, too. Ugh!

4. Yvonne (Caledonia) says:

skeeters yes, fireflies a lot, butterflies not so much at all

5. Mindy says:

Skeeters were getting better, but with the rain last night, oh no!!! Zillion fireflies, like the 4th year, Birds are heading out, only 1 Red Wing, A Robin, Buttterflies are kinda scarce this year.

6. michael g (SE GR) says:

Lot’s of fireflys, mosquitos haven’t been bad here since May. My son has raised and released two monarchs so far this year.

As far as the weather is concerned, is today cooler and less humid? Yes. Is it cool and not humid? No.

7. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Bugs not bad.

Still hot and humid. Going up to 88 today. Not much of a cold front.

July 2013 has now equaled the heat I saw in July 2012.

1. Mike M. says:

Fly down to South America for some nice destructive cold…

Poor Travis, hoping and praying for hot temps. Wait, your a warmist, no praying by you guys. Thou shalt not keep false gods before co2 or something. Sorry.

1. Brad says:

God is dead. Long live our new Father, Mr. Barack Hussein Obama.

8. Skot says:

Finally seen a Monarch yesterday. The first one. Fireflies have been wonderfully bright this year.

9. Mosquito’s are way down in this area since the lack of rain. There are TONS of fire fly’s in the area lighting up the sky at night. Butterfly’s are down compared to normal but still seeing my fare share of them.

Spectacular day today in mid Michigan. Lows 80s, low humidity, and a light breeze.

Not many flying insects as of late.

11. Kimoeagle says:

I am BIT-ter, so I will not comment further. ;-)

12. Cliff (Scotts) says:

The second wave has hit here this past week

13. Matt (gowen mi) says:

Mosquitos are below normal levels but the deer flies are getting thick.

Skeeters Not to Bad Here Now, Compared to Earlier This Summer. Fire- Flies in ABUNDANCE, Last Month and a Half,Looks Like Twinkeling CHRISTMAS Lights in The Trees, ECT. LOVE IT!!! Butterflies Few and Far Between ! Humming Birds LOTS! Squirrels eating Me Out of House and Home ( feed Them By Hand) Whenever They Knock on My Back Door ! Lots of Bunnies as Well! 5 New Baby Bunnies Just This Week ( ya know what They Say about Rabbits…LOL ) ! Plenty of other Critters Also !! I Just LOVE watching and FEEDING ALL OF GOD’S CREATURES!!! And Last, But Not Least. NEED RAIN !!! PFR…..and Stay Cued !!

1. Brad says:

Jack, we disagree about a lot, but you’re an asset to Bill’s blog. Cheers to you.

Thanks Brad, Cheers 2 U, as Well. Stay Cued…. And, PEACE!!!!!

15. Jim says:

Out in the yard working today, I did not notice a single skeeter. Last night, I was totally amazed at the number of fireflies (Lampyridae is a family of insects in the beetle order Coleoptera- over 2000 different species exist-wiki). Did not notice any skeeters. Last week at the Veen Observatory we coated up with something my wife had and did not get bothered at all.

My huge Sycamore is shedding (worse than the dog right now), which usually means 6 weeks until football.

16. TreasureHunter says:

Wabasis Lake Campground last week: Skeeters galore – in the shade during the day and everywhere at night. The horseflies and gnats were out in full force, especially in the sun during the daytime. Lots of fireflies lighting up the area. Many varieties of black butterflies about but few others. Saw a bald eagle on the lake one day and a loon as well.

There was a posting at the boat launch dated 7/10 that indicated areas were treated for aquatic nuisance species – eurasion milfoil. Zebra mussels are in the lake but aren’t that thick yet. Water was very green. That hasn’t stopped the swimmers, tubers, and skiers. Inland lake level much higher than last year.

JUST a SONG That is Rather Fitting For This THREAD, IMHO ! CUE, and ENJOY ::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHCQlD4gTc. ;-)

18. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Mosquitos have diminished a bit on the NE side, but they are still there. No rain yesterday will help ‘that’ issue, but not my lawn.

I’m rather surprised at the amount of fireflies for the last 3-4 years. Didn’t we go many years (if not decades) without any around here? I just don’t remember seeing them for a long long time until recently.
    Any hard facts on this, or as to why?

Don’t Think So Tom Kap … However, There is Lots of Links about There Decline ! Here is Just one Of Those. http://www.firefly.org

1. Cliff (Scotts) says:

Thanks Jack, I got from the article not to mow my lawn. Fireflies love tall grass!!! :)

Your Welcome, Glad I could Provide an EXCUSE, for Ya to Not Have to Cut your LAWN. Works for Me !!, stay Cued…..;-)

19. Barb says:

Lots of skeeters here in northern Michigan with much rain. I heard that with the cool, wet spring, the Monarch population is down. The weather up here today was perfect in the 70s.

1. Brad says:

And herbicide and pesticide use that has all but eliminated habitat in the Great Plains. I spent a day in NW Ohio a couple weeks ago and there was nary a flowering plant in sight. We’re turning the planet into a human feedlot.