Frost Advisory? IN JULY??

July 29th, 2013 at 2:22 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Frost Advisory  difax Yup…this Monday AM, there was a Frost Advisory for Northern Minnesota!  I see that there were half a dozen temperatures in the mid 30s Monday AM (temperatures at the 5-foot level).  Embarrass MN had a low of 35.  Interesting note…the temperature at 850 mb (about a mile above the ground) got down to +2.2C at Minneapolis on Saturday.  That’s the coldest 850 mb temperature ever measured in S. Minnesota in the month of July!  The map on the right is high temperatures from Sunday (click on the image to enlarge).   Much of the nation was significantly colder than average.  Here’s some high temperatures from Sunday, including the average high in (  ) if available:  Grand Rapids 67 (82), Coldwater 63,  Copper Harbor 51 (71), Marquette Coast Guard 52, Watton 50, Houghton 52 (76), Beaver Island 56, Green Bay WI 61 (80), Chicago 69 (84 – also ties for 2nd coldest July weekend ever!), S. Bend IN 67 (82), Rochester NM 69 (81), Devils Lake ND 73 (81), Watertown SD 72 (83), Waterloo IA 70 (84) Joplin MO 70 (91), Concordia KS 62 (91), Wichita KS 66 (93), Goodland KS 61 (90), Limon CO 67 (87), Denver CO 72 (90), Cheyenne WY 72 (84), Angel Fire NM 70, Seattle WA 69 (77), Imperial NE 60 (89), North Platte NE 66 (88), Boston MA 75 (82), Portland ME 68 (79), Buffalo NY 72 (80), Erie PA 70 (80), Dayton OH 71 (83), Lexington KY 75 (86)  Speaking of cold, look what’s going on in Brazil!    Philadelphia was deluged with 8.15″ of rain Sunday PM.  The 8.02″ total before midnight made it the wettest day EVER in Philadelphia, with records going back to the 1870s.

23 Responses to “Frost Advisory? IN JULY??”

1. Dan says:

Cool as in describing the weather! Smashing of records for this area ? Wow! Summer is coming back!

2. YeahThatDan says:

Frost in July! Wow. Could we see snow somewhere? I could see one inch of snow in Minnesota. Flurries in the UP? Great info. The news would never say anything about this. Come to find out were cooling not warming. Are the Lions playing yet!? I smell apple pie. And burning leaves! But, I saw 82 for this week. It is still summer! After all, it is July not fall. I wonder if the leaves will start changing color. My rake is ready!

Marquette came within 1° on their coldest high temp ever for July, WOW!

RECORD EVENT REPORT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
    828 PM EDT SUN JUL 28 2013

…RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE TODAY…

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
    OFFICE WAS 52 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS COLDEST HIGH
    TEMPERATURE FOR THIS DATE OF 61 SET IN 1971.

THIS HIGH IS ALSO ONLY 1 DEGREE ABOVE THE RECORD COLDEST JULY
    MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS.

WEATHER RECORDS FOR THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE
    LOCATED IN NEGAUNEE TOWNSHIP DATE BACK TO 1961.

They were -18° from normal yesterday, yikes.

2. Dan says:

Thanks for the info, DF! They did break the record up there. Now, watch everything flip flop over the next couple of weeks!

4. Bernie at the lakeshore says:

That was a multi-million dollar rain for those growing corn around here. It has been so dry here at the lakeshore I haven’t had to mow the lawn since July 2. Usually we don’t get lake effect showers until the end of August so I consider last nights rain a rare event.

The GFS looks wet and chilly for the foreseeable future. There are a couple times the temps work up to normal, we will see.

The CPC seems to agree:

1. Slimjim says:

Hum, one has to wonder if come January 2014 we will have a stretch of well above average temps. Or is this a sample of what is to come??
      Slimjim

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

CPC lead forecast shows above average temps November – January.

It’s also showing a warm September – November for us.

In fact, all of its future forecasts are giving us warmer than average temps. Must be that El Nino building?

I compliment the CPC for making the giant leap forward by actually showing some shades of blue in there November-January probabilities.

2. Dan says:

I thought , I read that Bill sees less of an El Niño affect. I think, he said very weak El Niño to perhaps even Neutral by late Fall . Did I misinterpret that post?

3. Travis (Oakland County) says:

We’re transitioning from La Nina/neutral to El Nino.

How much El Nino we see is still up in the air. Lots of varying forecasts out there right now.

4. Dan says:

You are right mentioning varying Travis! I’ll choose to believe Bill as he calls it accurately and looks at all sorts of information. From what I read earlier, I’m thinking early snowfall this Fall! We shall see if that verifies. Cool/cold start to Winter. Then, milder?

A strong El Nino is unlikely this winter. A weak El Nino sometimes brings very cold winters to the Eastern U.S. Here’s global sea-surface temperature anomaly: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2013/anomnight.7.29.2013.gif Slightly cooler than average along the Equator west of S. America…cool water around Florida (nice during hurricane season)…cold water around Antarctica relative to average and along the West Coast of the U.S…warm water off the East Coast north of the Outer Banks…warm water around Europe relative to average.

Outstanding and keep the cool temperatures coming!

7. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Ahhh, it’s been the perfect relief the past few days after such a hot stretch.

I see the heat wave has now made its way all across Europe. Last I saw, Germany had a shot at hitting the country’s highest temperature ever recorded. They can keep it.

I’ll take upper 70′s/low 80′s, sunny and low humidity all summer long.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Agreed but for me 365 days a year! ;-)

1. Slimjim says:

Year round would work for me as well.
        Slimjim

I’d agree with that. I could sail all year =)

8. Dan says:

hey Bill, As we get into Fall will you take snowfall predictions? I think, it would be kind of fun to predict first snowfall of the season and how much snowfall total! I cannot believe I am mentioning snow yet again in late July. How about that US Men’s Soccer Team! They did well against Panama! The competition level will be much higher in next summer’s World Cup. Go USA!

Yeaaaaa Nice nip weather keep it coming Bill……Out at thee YARDofBRICKS thee fire is keeping us warm today….INDYY..

10. Barb says:

It’s too cold up here! I have the heat on. I want to do some summer activities, so bring on the heat!

11. Jon says:

uh oh. Must mean it will be snowing soon and we are actually in an ice age. One cold day is enough to convince me climate change is a hoax (NOT).