Flying Beach Umbrellas!

August 4th, 2013 at 10:41 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

gustnado    A Gustnado (a gustnado is a relatively small whirlwind which forms as as an eddy in thunderstorm outflows. It does not connect with any cloud-base rotation and is not a tornado.”) sent a dozen plus beach umbrellas flying into the air (a few hundreds of feet into the air and a couple hundred yards offshore!) at Cocoa Beach, Florida.  Check out this video  from Adam Libert.   One teen male was injured by flying debris.  Southeast Florida has had a lot of rain this year.  Miami is +6.92″ for the year, Palm Beach is +10.18″ for 2013 and the Bailing Bucket Award goes to Fort Lauderdale.  They’ve had 55.47″ of rain this year, 20.99″ above average (and that’s without a hurricane).  At least we didn’t get this.  Image courtesy of NOAA/NWS).

21 Responses to “Flying Beach Umbrellas!”

1. YeahThatDan says:

The stars seem, very bright tonight. Does anyone else notice this? I think I saw the Big Dipper. Where is the Little Dipper? I don’t remember some of the other ones. Are there any planets to see? I think Venus is the bright one. So beautiful! What a creation we have been given!

AMEN !!! YeahThat Dan!!! I Think This FITS Your Statement On CREATION!!! Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas and everything that moves in them. —Psalm 69:34
      Recently I saw a billboard stating that 80 percent of all life on Earth is found in the seas. That staggering number is difficult to process, largely because most of that life is out of sight.

As I considered this, it reminded me of how much greater God’s creation is than we typically appreciate. While we can easily have our breath taken away by a majestic mountain range or a panoramic sunset, we sometimes fail to see His extraordinary work in the details that require more careful study and examination. Not only is much of God’s creation hidden by the oceans, but other parts are also too small for our eyes to observe. From the microscopically small to the unsearched reaches of the universe, it is all the work of our Creator. In those magnificent structures—seen and unseen—God’s creative glory is revealed (Rom. 1:20).

As we grow to understand the wonder of creation, it must always point us to the Creator Himself—and call us to worship Him. As the psalmist said, “Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas and everything that moves in them” (Ps. 69:34). If creation itself gives praise to the Creator, we can and should certainly join the chorus. What a mighty God we serve! — Bill Crowder

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder,
      Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made,
      I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
      Thy power throughout the universe displayed! —Boberg
      The wonder of creation causes us to say, “What a wonderful God!”

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Amen, Jack! Exploring His creation is how I became a Christian. So thankful that I can teach Biology to students and show that nature has design and that it didn’t just happen “by chance”. This is at a Christian school, of course. We all know how the public schools work…

Good to talk to you in Grand Haven on Sat., Matt. Thanks for stopping me to say “hi”.

2. Brad says:

You’re teaching creationism?

You’re teaching that the polar bears are dying from “global warming”? http://www.npr.org/2013/02/02/170779528/the-inconvenient-truth-about-polar-bears

4. Brad says:

Non sequitur aside, it’s hard to find anything objectionable about that article. Here’s a guy who had a belief that he modified after acquiring facts. The faith community could learn from him.

5. Brad says:

Also, what’s the dig at public schools all about? My public school biology teachers did not lecture us about the presence/absence of supernatural beings. They left that stuff alone and taught biology. Their degrees were in biology. Does your school require that your undergraduate degree is in the specific subject matter you teach? What is your listed undergraduate major?

6. Judy says:

Public schools teach the facts and leave personal beliefs to the individual and to the churches to deal with, which is how it should be. Public schools should NEVER push religion on kids. In fact, NOBODY should push their religion on anyone else. Everyone has a right to come to their own personal conclusion about what their beliefs are without someone else telling them how or what they should believe. It’s like trying to convince someone that they should like brussel sprouts when they don’t….just because you like them doesn’t mean that others have to.

7. Irish coffee says:

Intelligent design vs. random chance? What teach you, Brad- that intelliegence is born/evolved from non-intelligent source? What evidence/eyewitness account do you have of that? Reproduced using scientific method?NO! “0″, absolutely no proof, exists that intelligent human beings were born&/or”evolved” from NON-intelligent beings.

8. Irish coffee says:

Judy- public schools do push their own religion via “secular humanism”…they worship at the alter of ‘situational ethics’ and commune w/ ‘moral relativism’ (vs. absolute truth)

9. Brad says:

Humor me this, IrishCoffee: define “intelligence.”

10. Brad says:

And “absolute truth.”

11. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

You’ve got that right, Irish. State standards require us to teach evolution, which I do. However, I also teach that creationism and intelligent design are also plausible. The public school teaches evolution as fact, when in reality there are big holes in the theory. However, it is like a religious belief…a.k.a. Atheism.

I also teach that God COULD have used some facets of evolution to create the world. Before you go on telling me “what or how I should teach”, I introduce all the possibilities and we discuss/debate issues about each. I just have the blessing to be able to OPENLY talk about my faith. You don’t like it Judy or Brad, you don’t have to fuss about the Christian schools. Trust me…we aren’t harming you.

12. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I agree, Bill. It was great chatting. Thanks for coming to the Lakeshore!

13. Brad says:

Matt, what is your training in biology?

14. Gun Lake Deb says:

Matt – as a Christian who also taught evolution, I find nothing wrong with the idea that God, with infinite wisdom, created evolution so that life could go on in an ever-changing world.

15. Irish coffee says:

Brad- define intelligence? How about the ability to think in a wise and constructive capacity,to communicate using speech w/ multiple languages & advanced vocabulary… as well as scheme & develop great architectural design + medical/technological feats of great marvel; not to mention our ability to contemplate our origin and universal questions of time/space (see:quantum physics…something the animal kingdom seems incapable of)

16. Irish coffee says:

As for “absolute truth”…let’s use the ‘value of life’ as an example.
          “Moral relativism” (fully taught in PUBLIC ed system) would argue that life in and of itself is not necessarily “sacred” or of inherent ‘value’. Absolute truth would defend ONE singular value of life as “sacred”.
          For instance, say pregnant woman ‘x’, expecting(and wanting) her baby(has a nursery all decorated, name picked out,etc) suffers a miscarriage/ domestic assaultand loses her baby.Family and friends console and mourn with her the “tragic” loss of her child.Yet, if the same woman had decided to abort/terminate her pregnancy, she would seek support/comfort for eliminating the same child whose absence under different circumstances, would have caused great grief.That is what i mean concerning “absolute” truth….life value is not(should not) be dependent or determined by the meaning placed on it by some 3rd party…..i.e, readily disposed of if not desired/wanted; celebrated if “wanted”.
          One can perceive whatever they wish….but that does NOT = REALITY/absolute truth.Either there is a heaven, or there isn’t.ONE truth equals reality; perception= moral relativism.

“Oh no, the whale…” Haha

3. Barry in Zeeland says:

SHARKNADO!!! Ha ha. Had to throw that in!