Dry Week Ahead

August 13th, 2013 at 2:19 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Storm Total Rainfall august 12   This is storm total rainfall from Monday.  Click the pic. to enlarge.  There was one relatively narrow band of heavy rainfall from Allegan and Barry County east to the Detroit Area, where 1-3″ of rain fell.  North of about Muskegon-Sparta there was nary a drop of rain.  Rainfall for Monday: 0.69″ Grand Rapids Ford Airport (August rainfall 0.90″ (-0.49″ from average) – yearly precipitation 31.32″ (8.8″ above average)), 2.98″ W. Martin, 2.70″ Richland (5.25″ for August), 2.57″ Parchment, 2.51″ Bellevue, 2.50″ Climax, 2.46″, Fennville 2.32″, Detroit, 2.25″ Marshall, 2.09″, 2.00″ Scotts,  Jackson, 1.96″ Battle Creek, 1.92″ Allegan, 1.77″ Grand Junction, 1.63″ SE of Wayland, 1.47″ Kalamazoo Airport, 0.95″ Delta Twp. (west of Lansing), 0.88″ Holland, 0.75″ Zeeland, 0.51″ Hudsonville, 0.50″ Daybreak Church (Georgetown Township), 0.49″ Jenison, 0.42″ Allendale, 0.32″ WOOD (Heritage Hill), trace at Muskegon (0.34″ for the month, 0 at Shepherd (0.25″ for the month)   I’ll add some rainfall totals in the morning.  There is about a 15% chance of a light shower or sprinkle today mainly well northeast of G.R.  Most of us will be dry for the next week.  The European model has no rain for us through at least next Monday.  We have a cool couple of days…with many highs in the low 70s today and lows Weds. and Thurs. AM near 50 in the cities and mid-upper 40s in the outlying areas.  The pattern change will bring slowly warming air back to Michigan for this weekend and especially next week, when highs at least several days should will the mid-upper 80s again (maybe even 90).

26 Responses to “Dry Week Ahead”

1. Dan says:

Beautiful summer days coming up! We have had more than ample rainfall in this area. It’ll be nice to see the sun! Cooler to start .

2. michael g (SE GR) says:

Feels like a nice September morning out there. Sweet!

3. kevin. w says:

This is it the best Michigan weather coming before the snow comes. Cool crisp mornings nice warm days (90 won’t feel like 90 back in July) leaves changing, apple orchards, deer hunting, etc,etc. :)

4. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Very close resemblance to summer 2012 for me.

I’ve had a warm May – July, now a cool part of August, and then another hot stretch at the end of August/early September.

1. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

I was thinking the complete opposite yesterday. Last year seemed so hot and dry all summer last year. This summer has been amazing for me, I love the cooler air. Though I do wish it was a little warmer last sunday. I was tubing in Newago and froze!!!

1. Jeff(Northern Ionia County / Muir) says:

Didn’t mean to repeat “last year”

Even with that one week of hot temps in July this summer has been the coolest since 2009

3. yooper4021 says:

Travis, I’m confident you could come up with some data in SE Mich to support your “very close resemblance”…but I agree more with Jeff. May and August (to date), there’s some similarity. But June and especially July?

I have split my time between Grand Rapids and Toledo OH the past couple summers, so those are my points of reference. Let’s look at July:

GR (2013): Avg high 82.8; 21 days 80+; 6 days 90+; 0 days 100+
      GR (2012): Avg high 91.1; 30 days 80+; 18 days 90+; 2 days 100+

TOL (2013): Avg high 81.5; 19 days 80+; 5 days 90+; 0 days 100+
      TOL (2012): Avg high 89.8; 30 days 80+; 12 days 90+; 3 days 100+

Those are two very different Julys to me.

July 2013 was the coolest in Grand Rapids since 2009 and if it were not for that one hot week it would have been even cooler.
        Slimim

Everyone had a warm May. And yes we know that Flint (for whatever reason) was “warm” in June and July (thanks for yet another reminder) – whereas everywhere else in lower Michigan was just within a half-degree of average.

I looked up the data for Flint. Every month from May to August is cooler this year than last year. If you add up all four months (inc. August so far), you get 1.8 deg. cooler in 2013 than 2012. I added up the departures from average for G.R. and included a conservative -2.0 for August (we’re at -3.5 and dropping right now), you get the year thru 8/31 about 7/10ths of a degree cooler than average. This doesn’t look like a warm Oct./Nov. at this point, so I think we’ll have a hard time getting that number to the positive side. Nationally (48 states), this could be a top ten coolest first half of August, though the 2nd half of August will a significant part of the cool.

Thanks for the info Mr. S.

So far this summer the average temp here in Grand Rapids has been June 68.4 July 72.2 and so far in August its been 68.5. Over to our east in Flint its been 68.7 in June, 73.0 in July and 68.3 so far in August.
    Last summer at Grand Rapids it was 70.8 for June 79.2 for July and 70.8 for August. And in Flint it was 69.2 for June, 76.1 for July and 69.7 for August. It should be noted that for most of the months in the recent past that the average temp in Grand Rapids is warmer then in Flint. If Flint was to continually start to become warmer then Grand Rapids then there is a good chance that something changed at one of the two reporting stations,
    Right now I have a sunny but September like 58°

Bingo. I think the Detroit NWS is catching on as well since they didn’t even mention the Flint temperature in the preliminary summer report.

6. kevin. w says:

The NAO is flippin so were headin out of the cool spell for awhile but the pattern may revert to what we’ve been into around early/mid September. Were going into a pattern that was like back in July with very warm conditions but not warm. My thinkin is that I see an early snow like late October early November this then a brief warm up then winter comes roarin so enjoy the weather.

I agree that it looks to warm up for late August and maybe into September as well. As for later into the fall. Its still too early to guess. But at this time its best to go with near “average” until we get closer. While I do not like to use the term of “over due” but the fact is we are “due” for a colder winter but that is not saying it will happen. In fact we are also do for a winter with much below average snow fall as well. Going by the “over due” thinking we could have a cold winter with below average snow fall. But as always time will tell.

7. A.J. says:

WZZM, newschannel 3, and fox 17 are all reporting on news while woodtv spends way too much time reporting on weather. It gets boring fast. I think WoodTV definitely reports on weather more than all other news media besides the weather channel. Please change this. Thanks!

You’re right, A.J. Wood should spend as much time reporting on weather as the Weather Channel!

2. Brad says:

That might have something to do with Bill’s $340,000 salary…

^hater^

2. yooper4021 says:

Jealous?

3. Dan says:

Are you begging, Brad? I never thought you would stoop so low. What have you got against Bill? This is about the 4th post that you have posted about his income. This is America, named after Amerigo Vespucci!
        Point is, go out and take advantage of opportunities so that you can make money too! What, have you got something against the American Dream too?

I’d be thrilled to make half that. Actually, 340K is about the difference between the zero pension I (and almost all the private sector) will get when I retire, and about five years of pension/health care that Brad gets after retiring early than the rest of us from his State of Michigan job of running around cataloging weeds.

5. Brad says:

You forgot the best perk- a 5% stake in Clint Tarver’s hot dog stand!

LOL! I’d relish that.