Wedneday – We Need Rain

August 21st, 2013 at 3:41 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

alaska snow   Click on the picture to enlarge.  This is the first snow of the season for northern Alaska.  Barrow had a high temperature of just 33 on Tuesday. Check out the Barrow, Alaska webcam.   Tuesday was the warmest day in a month in G.R. and the  first time we’ve reached 85 degrees in Grand Rapids since July 22.  During the 4 weeks (28 days) from July 23rd through August 19th, we had only one day that was warmer than average.   Rainfall has been quite variable this month.  Parts of Kalamazoo County have had over 5” of rain in August, while areas north of Grand Rapids (like Sparta) have had less than 1/4”.  Grand Rapids has only had one day this month when we’ve seen lightning (August 7th).   It’s been a sunny month so far, with 86% sunshine (though I think the sun measuring tool reads a little high on certain days) and it’s been a calm month.  The average wind speed this month has been only 5.7 mph.  The fastest gust has been just 28 mph on 8/1.  The pattern looks warmer than average through next week, with a good chance of hitting 90-degrees early next week.  The first week of September looks a little warmer than average, but cooler air should move in during the second week of September.    The overnight run of the NAM model gave G.R. no rain Weds. night/Thurs.  The GFS plot gives G.R. just 0.06″.  The European run prints out 0.15″ of rain for G.R.  early Thurs. AM, then the next rain is a thunderstorm early next Tues. AM.

47 Responses to “Wedneday – We Need Rain”

Gorgeous moon this morning. Should have played hooky today.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Saw one 90 in lower Michigan and one 89 in the UP yesterday. Nearby Duluth set a record high of 91 degrees.

Looks like a second clean action air day in a row for today.

Hottest air still to come.

Not uncommon for this time of year.

And not a single (of the dozens) of monitoring sensors made it into the “unhealthy” category for ozone (or anything else) Tuesday or Wednesday.

I made sure to gas up the wife’s car yesterday and mine today.

3. Jim S.(Saugatuck Twp) says:

I’ve been in the sweet spot this month. 4.13″ of rain in August so far.

Same here in A2. Southern Michigan doesn’t need any more rain.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Yeah, you guys had that crazy rain storm down there.

I’m only at 1.33″ for August… well below average and in need of rain.

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

If memory serves me correctly, we are at about 5.25″ of rain so far this month at my house. However, most of the rain came in 2 events, so it still hasn’t rained here since last Monday so things are just starting to show signs of stress. That much rain is great for lakes and water tables, but when it all comes at once, it isn’t long term beneficial for lawns, plantings, etc.

4. kevin. w says:

Kinda off the weather subject but when I was a kid I always thought that California would fall into the ocean (so to say) due to all there earthquakes. What I heard this morning is that the Fukishima nuclear power plant is now been upgraded to a serious/extreme situation. There are now millions of gallons of contaminated water entering the ocean as more leaks than previously thought are happening. SO maybe we thought California was going to slide into the ocean, heck probably the whole western seaboard will be glowing. Not only do we have to worry about water contamination we may be have to worry about all the debris coming ashore. Alaska is already experiencing tons of debris on there shore lines as I can only imagine all the debris that’s going to come ashore to the west coast and the obstacles the ships have to go around. I guess if I see anyone glowing out there I know there from the west. :)

1. I’d be watching how much seafood I eat that’s caught out of the Pacific Ocean if I were you.

2. TrippedUpDaddy(Belmont) says:

Since it sits on a slip fault, I think the more likely outcome would be that Los Angeles sits on an island instead of the mainland.

5. kevin. w says:

I’ve notice a pattern with snow in Alaska usually when they get there first snows we usually get our first flakes right around that 6 week period. So first flakes here 1st or 2nd week of October or thereabouts.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Maybe, not sure. That indicator definitely hasn’t worked the last couple years for us.

2. Jeff (Richland) says:

Hope not!

6. Jeff Northern Ionia County says:

Looking very dry around my area. I’m very surprised there has not been more grass fires than what there has been.

7. Cliff(Scotts) says:

We could use one more good soaking for the crops here. Been a great year, had a great third cutting for hay. Cows will be happy!!!

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

Same around here, though some farmers just fired up the irrigation systems again.

8. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

It is VERY warm out today! I am crossing my fingers that a shower or two will arrive tomorrow

9. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I call the clean air action day an air quality alert instead. I guess both work, but can you just assume that you should reduce pollution admition during an air quality alert day. A clean air action day just sounds like an environmental holiday or something, so I am not sure why they switched the name. But I guess it still works! :)

10. Could use a some rain here in southern kent county, not as much as areas north of 96 but anything will do. I was driving through Cass County near Cassopolis yesterday and I still even saw some field in lower areas with some ponding of water. Shocked to see it was still there

11. Mary (Barrow, AK) says:

Yea it snowed so hard last night it delayed a Medivac from landing for a little while, I took a picture of it falling..sigh I think I like your weather better. That snow will be gone quickly though, it doesn’t seem to melt it just disappears. Sublimates?

12. Judy says:

There were a few sprinkles on my car yesterday when I left work in the afternoon (Portage) and I had a few raindrops hit me while I was driving home. It also looked like there were storms/rain forming in the clouds moving east. Didn’t anything develop from them? I wasn’t able to catch the news/weather last night.

13. Cliff(Scotts) says:

I got a feeling it will be a I94 event again, tonight the t low level jet is supposed to kick stuff of over Lake Michigan. We shall see

14. Travis (Oakland County) says:

89 degrees up north in Grayling already at 1pm.

Bill, why does northern Michigan sometimes get even warmer than us on days like yesterday and today?

Flint is always warmer than Detroilet, but you don’t seem to question that.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Wrong. Flint is rarely ever warmer in any given month. It’s just their averages are cooler.

Your post said days, not months.

FYI – current temp in Flint is 88. Detroit Metro is 86.

These heat waves often jump out of the upper plains like it is this time around as well. You can see it on the current weather model slide.

That is also why GR is often warmer than us for the heat waves.

1. yooper4021 says:

Good point DF….Looking at the NWS forecast for the weekend and early next week, they have Detroit high temps 5-8 degrees cooler than GR. Below normal Saturday (74), and then only low 80′s Mon/Tues.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

NWS is garbage forecasting. WXYZ.com

2. yooper4021 says:

LOL…whatever works for you.

3. yooper4021 says:

Just for kicks…

Detroit forecasted highs Saturday through Tuesday:

WXYZ – 79, 83, 87, 88
          Fox 2 – 79, 83, 86, 86
          WWJ/CBS 62 – 78, 81, 85, 86
          NWS – 74, 79, 83, 82

Anyone else see something suspcious???

I think the Detroit TV station forecast the “downtown” temperature while the NWS “detroit” temperature is at the airport 10 miles away. I think you both could be correct.

5. yooper4021 says:

Fair point DF, I didn’t think of that.

Still a little fishy, though, that WXYZ is the warmest of the 4 major TV stations (I forgot to include WDIV above, which shows 78, 82, 84, and 85 for those 4 days). Hmmm…

I am on the warm side of those numbers. Early next week if we get a day with mostly sunny skies in the warm air mass, I could see 92-95. The Euro. has 92 for G.R. next Tues. If you look at my Euro. plot forecasting tool, that gives G.R. 93.2 next Tues. There’s the significant question of debris clouds from t-storms to our north and the possibility of a t-storm getting down this far south.

Wow! Those are Flint-like numbers.

Speaking of this made me look at the last slide of the GFS… I see -10°C not too far north… yikes.

I am sure it is wrong but GFS knows which way we a headed anyway.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Boy you sure love the cold and northern Canada lately lol

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Must be related to Bill! First thing on the blog during a heat wave is snow!

I am just reporting, I have no further comment on it at this time ;) It is hot out.

15. I personally am enjoying the warmer weather. The WRF-NMM shows a few showers and storms for the very early AM Thursday. It doesn’t look like much, and the NSSL WRF doesn’t show a whole lot either. We’ll see what happens I guess. Many of us need the rain.

16. Cliff(Scotts) says:

Heat wave??? It is beautiful out, go out and enjoy it people!!!

” Hot Summer Night’s Feel Like a Net “………… Is The Opening LINE to This Robert Palmer SONG :::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUv-mZ7Q9I0. ;-) . Crank it Up, and Sing along.. If ya Plaese….stay Cued., Hoping for RAIN TONIGHT !

18. Kevin (Marshall) says:

No rain needed in Marshall. The grass is really green down here from the nearly 3 inches of rain we had a week and a half ago.

19. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill I changed my email and it says you need to confirm my request, thanks :)