Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

September 10th, 2013 at 1:26 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

TC Activity The tropics are becoming more active. The Gabrielle is near Bermuda and if giving the island tropical storm conditions.  Here’s Bermuda radar.  It’ll head toward far eastern Canada (Nova Scotia). Hurricane Humberto should be no threat to land.  For only the second time in modern history, we had to wait until Sept. 11 to get the season’s first hurricane.    The latest we have ever gone before getting the season’s first hurricane was Sept. 11, 2002.    The system that will cross the Yucatan (moving west) may or may not get a name and produce some heavy rain as it comes across the Yucatan in Mexico.  It’s been a very quiet year weatherwise (no hurricances – until Sept. 11), few tornadoes, few hundred-degree temperatures than average, heat waves “fewer and milder this year than last”.

Here’s the latest from the Storm Prediction Center.  The overnight run of the NAM (caribou) model gives G.R. 0.26″ of rain between 5 PM and midnight today. with highs in the mid-upper 80s today, upper 70s Thurs., low 60s Friday and a low of 32.8 Saturday morning.

The Grand Rapids NWS radar is temporarily down.  Click on the Gaylord radar, the N. Indiana radar, SE Michigan radar and the Milwaukee radar to see precipitation in our area.

50 Responses to “Tropical Storms/Hurricanes”

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Wow. 78.6 degrees at my house at 3:45am.
    I’m really doubting we will go anywhere ‘near’ that max low record of 73.

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

…also interesting, is, except for a small cluster of cities in SW Wisconsin, we here in Michigan at this hour have the highest current temps over many states surrounding us.

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

wow, actually, with further investigation..aside from a few cities in California, we currently have about the highest temps in the Nation! Look for yourself.

Terrible SLEEPING Weather…. Hot, Muggy, Sticky, ECT . Sure does Not Feel Like a September Night , or Morning. Cold one on The Back Porch as I Blog. Do we Get Some Decent Storms on Wed?? Stay Cued…

Thanks for the Link TomKap ..

2. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Lucky I’m working and not trying to sleep.
    I’m still at 77.8 degrees here at 4:45am. One of the warmest nights we’ve had all Summer.

GOING TO HIT 100* TODAY STAY TUNED!! INDYY……

4. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Did we break the record for least hurricanes thus far in the season??

1. Cort S. says:

Hurricane Gustav (2002) holds the satellite-era record… 11 September at 12 UTC (8 a.m. Eastern).

5. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Heat Advisories up for SE Michigan.

Chance at hottest day of the year for parts of Michigan with many daily records likely surpassed. Likely going to be Detroit’s hottest September day in more than 10 years (in the middle of September too).

Heat hangs on for us tomorrow too in SE Mich with another 90+ day.

While it was a little better then a week earlier.
      In early September 2011 Detroit on the 1,2, and 3rd had highs of 92° 98° and 95°

I’ve given him all the resources to make a reasonably educated comment… oh well, the old Travis is gone and we are left to be the fact checkers.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

See below for my references straight from the NWS, but thanks for being so cordial on an anonymous internet weather blog.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Here’s the interview with a meteorologist from NWS White Lake where I got that statistic from:

“Tuesday could be the hottest September day since 2002 in Metro Detroit. The high could tie or break the record of 94 degrees set on September 10th – 11 years ago.”

Yet your statement was completely different… nice try though.

You write about all of September and post a NWS comment about September 10… LOL.

Where is the old Travis? The one that didn’t need to pull out the talking point D word? Yet you are somehow cordial?

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

More like where is the old DF? The nice one.

You get in a tizzy over the one piece that can be skewed differently – on an internet weather blog! I don’t waste time fact-checking something from the NWS.

Once again, it says right on the link what I wrote here:

“Tuesday could be the hottest September day since 2002 in Metro Detroit”

It does say “Metro Detroit” and not just Detroit so maybe that is the confusion. And why are you even arguing when the high temperature hasn’t even been made yet? I’ve seen temps as high as the upper 90′s for today from the local mets.

The first factual statement in a while! Congrats!

Travis –

Your intentions are questioned when you pick and choose your sources – in the same post, no less. Such as last night when you used NWS’ forecasted highs for today and tomorrow and then you used WXYZ for Friday and Saturday, which conveniently were the highest temps you could find.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Actually, NWS that I cited yesterday were less than local mets but okay? My intentions? I didn’t know I couldn’t cite more than one source on here? Local mets: 99% of the time I cite WXYZ. That’s consistency. But I also cite NWS too. Especially when they are making big changes to their forecasts (like yesterday’s temp increases more in line with the local mets).

More like you, yooper, DF, Robert, and Rocky try to find my fault in every one of my posts to somehow try to argue global warming is not occurring.

Most of the time they are snide, one sentence statements that I just ignore. Wherever you get your kicks I guess!

I just like talking about weather.

2. yooper4021 says:

Travis, I haven’t been posting here for very long and I don’t want to find fault in everything you post. Heck, I love the warm/hot weather!! However, to say or suggest that nearly everything you post isn’t done in a way to support your viewpoint on global warming (and stir the pot for those of us who may not agree with you) is ridiculous. The sarcasm and one-liners are my way of saying I’m not biting….and hopefully change the subject.

I would much rather not correct you trust me. Do some research.

Global warming is occurring?

Try again.

5. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Sometimes I think you guys would argue with a paper bag LOL

I haven’t yet. I don’t want to rule it out to avoid potentially being a hypocrite.

And as per NWS, Detroit’s forecasted high for Friday is 59, Saturday is 64, and Sunday is 68. Makes for a pretty average week.

If the forecasted highs pan out today could tie or break the record high temps in several cities in Southern Michigan. The records for today are Detroit, Grand Rapids 94° Flint and Lansing 93° and Muskegon 88°
    In Northern Michigan the records are 94° at Alpena and at Houghton Lake 99° In the UP the records are 92° at the Soo and 96° at Marquette. This one or two days of hot weather will be no match to the September heat waves on the 1930’s In 1931 Michigan had a string of up to 5 or 6 days in the mid to upper 90’s

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Tuesday and Wednesday have the potential to be among the hottest back-to-back temperatures for middle September in the Metro Detroit area. Maybe not the hottest but close for middle September.

No one is saying this is a long-term heat wave.

And the month thru 9/25 is more than a degree cooler than average.

I may have had a shower here at my house earlier this AM as there is some dampness on the road and I had a overnight low of 73° which is several degrees cooler then the AP. Lots of sun here now and the temp is now up to 78° here.

8. Jeff Northern Ionia County says:

Wow is it getting warm out, I can wait until Friday. Weather in the 60′s with a great chilly sleeping night. Should be a great weekend.

Interesting: There are only two heat advisories in CONUS: The Detroilet area and Medford, OR.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

ha That is a pretty rare sight! A lot different from all the heat advisories yesterday.

2. yooper4021 says:

Add SW Ohio, E Indiana, and N Kentucky to the list….

Looks like mid-80′s across the board as of 11am, other than lakeshore (closer to 80). Definitely feels like a mid-summer day!

Nice catch. I think we can all agree that it will be a very warm day for many areas. Good day to be poolside with my sweetie and a cold beverage(s).

10. Travis (Oakland County) says:

A couple lonely 90 degree readings have infiltrated Michigan’s southwest border before noontime.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Four more years of that and maybe you could call a stop to the significant ice levels. Until then, the long-term trend lower remains firmly entrenched.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

*significant decline in ice levels

The long term trend does remain fully entrenched: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png Antarctic ice extent doesn’t get below average in their summer!

11. Closed my Pool Last weekend! Now it get’s 90! With highs in the low to mid 60s and lowes in the upper 30s the Pool water would be like ice water. End of a crappy Pool season!!

12. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Dang, 96 degrees already at the NWS station in Macomb

Through 9/24 – Detroit is 1.1 degree cooler than average for September.

13. arcturus says:

Another Rocky (Rockford) fail:

September 8, 2013 – ‘More warm weather BS. It will not get above 90 degrees in GR on Tuesday! Ridiculous!’

Sorry to tell you bub … already 91 at 1 pm.

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Who knew? Everyone but Rocky. Fantastic. I love it.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Classic RJ, I mean Rocky.

14. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I see a 98 degree temp in SE Mich. Can we hit 100?

Last I checked, it was 93* at GRF Int. Airport ! HOT! HOT! HOT!!!!!!

The high was 94 – typing a daily record from 1931. So, after 82 years of trying, we were finally as warm as it was in 1931. What a catastrophe! Quick, we need new taxes and more carcinogen-filled light bulbs! BTW the record high for today (9/11) is also 94 in 1931.