Saturday Night Rain

September 28th, 2013 at 1:05 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local Here’s radar and a satellite loop (daytime). Here’s a the surface map.   A band of rain (I can’t rule out a flash of lightning, but this will be mostly just light to moderate rain).  The rain will move thru from WNW to ENE mainly between now and 10 am.  The sun should pop back out for Sunday afternoon.  The temperature actually went up ahead of the rain, from 68 at midnight to 71 at 3 am, then we dropped from 70  to 65 between 4 and 5 am as the rain started.  O’Hare Arpt. in Chicago has had 0.38″ of rain in four hours from 1 am to 5 am EDT and Midway has picked up 0.24″.  Benton Harbor had 0.21″ between 4 and 5 am and their temp. dropped from 71 to 60 from 3 am to 5 am.  We should gradually become partly-mostly sunny for the mid-late afternoon, so it’ll be a good afternoon for ArtPrize.  Monday – Wednesday will be partly – mostly sunny and pleasant with temperatures back close to 80 by midweek.  The next rain will come late Weds. night or Thurs. with showers Thurs. and Friday and sharply cooler air for late in the week.  It may not get out of the 50s on Saturday.  The overnight run of the European model gives G.R. 1.57″ of rain from Thursday thru Saturday AM.

I’ll be doing a meet-and-greet at our ArtPrize studio at the Art Museum from 4-6 pm this Sunday.  We continue our live broadcasts this week.  Maranda is doing her show live from right in front of the Art Museum each evening and she’s doing a lot of fun interactive games and demonstrations with the crowd.  That’s at 7 pm weekday evenings.

For Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s WOOD-TV looping Radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan.

36 Responses to “Saturday Night Rain”

1. Cort S. says:

There was another meteor last night at 11:31 pm. Here is a video of it. Here is the American Meteor Society article. Thursday morning’s rock flew over Indy; Friday night’s rock flew over Columbus. Are the St. Louis Cards trying out some new steroids??

Up in Traverse City now. The colors seem to be very dull and not bright and vibrant as many years. My guess is that it’s because it’s so dry. Very petty though, nonetheless.

I was up there earlier today as well, also noticed the same thing.I also noticed, while driving on M-115, below 1000 feet in elevation temps were 72+, and above 1400 feet they were 68 or below.

My Jeep has neither a thermometer nor an altimeter. :-)

*pretty

4. michael g (SE GR) says:

Rain across the lake not looking very impressive. Could really use some here.

I was just thinking the same thing :-( We REALLY need rain.

5. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill, any winter forecast hints?

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Here is my prediction, based on nothing. G.R. gets 84″ of snow, with lakeshore counties getting 100″ +. Seems like a safe bet at this time. Also winter starts late, and lasts late, like last year. We shall see.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill was only off by one inch by last year, I think his forecasts are very accurate! But Brian, I do agree with you… However, I think winter will begin a little sooner than usual rather than later.

6. Brad (Van Buren) says:

Looks like a BIG DUD FIZZLER to me. Unless more starts to pop up, its gonna stay pretty darn dry. :(

7. Fall colors here in Kent County are becoming better and better each day. Peak about October 10. Should be good!! :)

8. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

It will be a miracle if it even sprinkles in the next 6 hours.
    Another fail.

1. Brennan says:

Another fail? It’s 5:00am and it’s raining pretty good. It’s funny when you try to overestimate Mother Nature. That’s why she’s flipping you the bird now. ;)

9. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

0.39″ here.

10. Dan says:

As I look to the west, I can see the clearing line! Maybe we get some sunshine before noon! (84th and 131)
    Rain was steday for about 2 hpurs this morning, it is just drizzling lightly now.

11. Dan says:

*line, *steady, * hours oops need another cup of coffee! By the way its, “National Coffee Day”

12. Dan says:

“rings of smoke through the trees”

Just a tenth of an inch in my rain gauge. Glad I kept the sprinklers going the last few days, Mother Nature has been pretty stingy with rain this month.

14. Bald Eagle (Montague) says:

Got half an inch here. Still could use some more! Going to be a beautiful day! Sunshine & blue sky!

15. kevin. w says:

Leaves are probably dull up by Traverse city because they had alot of rain up that not to long ago. They even had some flash flooding not to long ago as they had back building thunderstorms there. The central part of the state especially north of Grand Rapids and just south of the Gaylord area (northeast lower as well) has had very little rain this summer. Farmers lost there crops early this year in these parts due to little rain and periods of heat. Our colors across central lower are really not to bad but some areas are definitely not as brilliant as years past.

Here at my house I received 0.31” of rain last night. Its going to be a good bit cooler today then the last couple of days. But still not bad for late September.
    As for the fall color, while there is still a lot of green there is also a good showing if color here and there, One thing I do notice is that some of the trees are losing their leaves as soon as the color come out. That could be due to the dryness. As for where we are compared to an average fall (color wise) well its still only late September and peak generally is not until mid October around here so I am not sure if we are behind or not.

17. YeahThatDan says:

Did you see, them Tigers! Clinch the playoffs. Wow! What a, team! I could see, a World Series title. Or a American League champion. But will, that be enough? Does Leyland come back next year! How bout them Lions and, this weather! But it is cloudy.

18. mr. negative says:

SE GR – 3/10 of an inch of rain overnight.

19. Brent - Zeeland says:

.38″ in the rain guage. nice steady rain for 2 hours. The weather for the last week has been awesome!

Bravo Tigers, bravo. You let one of the worst teams in mlb beat you via the no hitter. I sure hope this in no indication of your offense in the playoffs. You have 5 days to figure it out.

1. Stephen(NorthMuskegon) says:

Did you not watch the game? They hardly used any starters Brian…

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

And that make the 100+ loss team far superior then? Tigers win the worst division in baseball by ONE whole game. They will be another epic fail in the playoffs this year. At least the Wings finally start this week, the only team we have with a long history of winning!

1. YeahThatDan says:

Wow so, negative about our, Tigers! I think, your not a fan. Tigers will, win the Series!

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

Your right, not a fan. Lost interest in the Tigers long ago. To many years of losing or ebarrassing playoff fails for me. They kind of remind me of the Lions, years and years or failure, even when they have some of the top talent in the league. As for the Tigers winning the series…..if I only had a dollar for every time I’ve heard that over the past 10 years or so.

The Tigers did not play well at all this weekend. I don’t care what anyone says if you play the way they did this weekend then their time in the playoffs this year will be short. The team to watch in the AL Center?? Cleveland that’s who.

4. The AL Central isn’t the worst division in baseball…

AL West, NL East, and NL West are worse.

Agree Slim Jim !!! The TRIBE, is On FIRE Right NOW ! However I STILL BELIEVE The TIGERS, Will Be World Series CHAMPS!!!!!!!! Stay Cued, and Go Wings, and Tigers !!!! :-)

21. Does anyone think that the NWS will issue a Dense Fog Advisory for west Michigan for the fog coming in??