Monday’s delayed sunshine

October 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

glerl   This was a picture from the Muskegon Glerl camera at the Muskegon Lake Channel shortly before noon on Monday.  You can see the low, gray cloud deck we had.  Here’s a satellite loop.   The sun is lower in the sky now and it takes longer to mix out the low clouds and fog in a situation like we had Monday AM.  We did finally see some sun after 5 PM in G.R.  High temps. Monday:  73 G.R, 75 Holland, 77 Benton Harbor, 79 Traverse City, Pellston, Munising, Escanaba and Iron Mt.  Local thermometers reached 80 at Randville, Wausaukee and La Branche in the U.P. and it actually made 70 at Ojibway on Isle Royale!    Here’s current conditions.   We’ll stay significantly warmer than average thru Saturday, then a cold front should bring another round of showers/chc. t-shower on Sat. with a stiff west wind and relatively cool temperatures on Sunday.

57 Responses to “Monday’s delayed sunshine”

NOAA shutdown:

I wonder if the Flint climate data is critical to life and property?

1. Cort S. says:

NWS meteorologists are still working, though not getting paychecks until this is over. Educational, outreach, and certain weather observer and maintenance visits will not be performed during the shutdown. Forecasts, watches, and warnings will still be issued.

1. Cort S. says:

Research and development activities will also mostly be put on hold. The development of new advanced technologies (e.g. phased-array radar), techniques, products, training, improving computer models has basically stopped.

I say paying to blow the hurricane season prediction over and over again is worthless and we should pay Cort a cool $100,000 for the prediction instead once the shutdown is over.

Only two Category 1 hurricanes… and maybe counting…

2. Cort S. says:

Hey, I’ll take your money if you want to give me some!

It would be much cheaper than whatever we’re paying now ;)

The TV mets. have a seminar at the GRR NWS this Saturday. I wrote to ask if it was on or off and haven’t gotten so far (and may not get?) a reply.

2. Paul says:

I thought it was illegal for federal employees to volunteer their services.

1. Cort S. says:

They’ll receive pay for it eventually, after the shutdown ends.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Chicago’s Tom Skilling is saying this could be the warmest start to October in 37 years for them.

More locally, I would imagine my upcoming Oct 1 – 5th will be among the warmest historically for that same time period. We had similar unusual warmth in October 2011, but that was a week later.

I’m excited for big storm possibilities later in the week if it doesn’t all go north of us.

We won’t even begin to touch October 2007.
      For GR:

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

For October as a whole? Likely not.

Over the time period I mentioned? It will be close if that’s the warmest found.

How do you get access to the preliminary monthly data prior to 2008? We were talking about this in another thread but only the daily record data was found.

Detroit NWS back to 1999:

GR NWS back to 2001:

GR’s is more useful but doesn’t go back as far. To go back before that you need to request the data and since climate stations move over the years, it is a pain.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Thanks! But darn.

I did it for Marquette not too long ago and it wasn’t too bad, but I looked into Detroit a while back and the climate station moved about 8 times since the 1800′s…

I’d give you the link but it is down.

3. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

It’s a bit chilly outside with the wind! I should have brought a light jacket with me to work today. :)

4. So much for a high around 80!! More clouds than sun, stuck at 69!!

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Sunny and 76 here!

Nice you lucked out! GR and Detroit are stuck in the cloud.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I’ll take it!

Traverse City 79 degrees. A couple 80′s in northern Michigan.

Amazing that a little (or lack there of) sun can make a ten-degree temperature swing this time of year.

For whatever its worth welcome to October. On this first day of October the clouds are keeping the temps down for here at my house it’s a cool 69 but in areas where there is sun the temps are in the mid to upper 70’s
    It looks to me that the leave color has really pick up in the past few days. However the color is a little duller and some of the leaves are fall off fast so maybe it could be a short color season around here.

Sunny and 80 degrees?

1. Katie in Kentwood says:

Cloudy and 68 here :/ wheres the sun

1. Cort S. says:

Looks like Michigan Permacloud season has begun, right on schedule.

Bring on the cold and snow!

Oh by the way – during a government shutdown all Washington politicians should not get paid one red cent! They are all corrupt and only care about getting re-elected. They are totally incompetent and our political system is totally dysfunctional!! All parties and all Washington politicians are to blame!

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

For once I agree with you. Very well put and in my mind totally true.

amazing!

Hmmm…. Time for a ” Revelution”. ….?? CUE, The Beatles :::::::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkwgTBrW78. ;-)

AND they should lose their lifetime free healthcare coverage.

If you get a defined pension of 40K, it’s like having a million-plus dollars in the bank. Plus you get COLA and the health coverage.

Not bad for a part-time job….

9. Irish coffee says:

Corruption breeds corruption…time for DC to wear protection before prostituting our $ to lobbies,unions,lawyers,own self-interests,etc & giving birth to 17+ trillion notes of debt

Remember this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtksJEj2Keg (note in the background the “Ha Ha Mr. Heath” and “Ha Ha Mr. Wilson”). The “one for me, 19 for you” was true…England wanted 95% of the Beatles income…and they (and many other British rockers) moved to the U.S. and elsewhere to get away from the confiscatory tax-slavery.

10. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill, winter thoughts!

I’ve said more snow early than the past few years…snowiest November since 2008. I also mentioned the similarities to 2002-03, when we had a fairly sharp flip to a cooler pattern in the 3rd week of October.

Happy ” OCTOBER ” !!!! CUE, U2 :::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgRIAeeNMI0.

12. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I see the CPC people are still in (aren’t they public employees?). Must be important work! ;)

Good news for the winter nuts – there’s blue popping up now. Bad news, it’s to our west and shrinks and moves even further west the next week. Keeps us mild.

The maps are probably automated, just a guess though.

1. Cort S. says:

Normally, just automated on weekends. These look like they’re still human-made. I think the operational CPC meteorologists are still working as normal, just like the guys at the NHC, SPC, WPC, etc. Lots of the R&D people are furloughed though.

Question…WTH is ” Non- Essential ” Employee ????? Typical GOVERNMENT Mumbo Jumbo… IMHO…. Stay Cued !! ;-)

I work with a few of those.

2. Cort S. says:

Non-essential, that’s a word that may not be the best description for some of these jobs. For some jobs, it’s easy to see why they might be called non-essential. After all, we as a country don’t really NEED national parks, monuments, and archives… but they are kind of nice to have. It’s what separates us from Somalia.

Essential jobs are fairly obvious: whatever jobs we still need done as a society just to get the bare minimum accomplished to immediately protect life and property. Meteorologists who issue tornado warnings, air traffic controllers, meat inspectors.

Other jobs are labeled non-essential, but you have to admit, they still are kind of important. We don’t immediately need people to run the system to check the legal immigration status of prospective employees, but we still do kinda need that system and people to maintain it. We don’t immediately need people to train new air traffic controllers in order to keep air travel running in the short-term, but you gotta admit that’s an important job. We don’t need scientists to run the Mars Curiosity rover, but come on, this rover exists for the sake of the entire knowledge and future of the human species, and is freaking awesome! We don’t need people to fund scientific research right now, but if you don’t think that’s important, then you make me sad. So while these people are called non-essential, in my opinion, they are still really important.

1. Cort S. says:

Oh, and I didn’t mean that you make me sad, Jack. That was a rhetorical you.

And it turns out that the Curiosity rover will continue to operate, at least for now. One of my news sources issued a correction on that. As long as the contractor that runs it (JPL) keeps getting the money to do the mission, they can keep running the rover. And the Hubble telescope will keep scanning deep space, but no one will be around to analyze the data until Congress gets the bare minimum accomplished and passes a continuing resolution (which is one step higher than doing nothing).

No Offense Taken Cort .. We Good… I would Like The Government To ” CUT WASTE”!! And ” Non-Essential ” Sounds Like WASTE To Me !! When it Comes To ” ObamaCare ” .. I again Have To ask The Question . ” If it’s. SO Great WHY Won’t The Politicians Participate in OBUMMER Care ??? ECT.. Stay Cued, and God Bless The USA !! ;-)

I’d add that not all scientific research comes from the Federal Government. There’s a lot of scientific research conducted in the private sector, enhanced by the hope that there might be some reward for investment.

1. Cort S. says:

Yes, thank goodness we have the private sector. The private sector does a lot of good things, but it can also be less than stellar at some things. Let’s say for example that developing drugs/vaccines that can treat or prevent malaria is very good and important for humanity and would be a boon to the world economy, but is not very lucrative. But let’s say a drug for male pattern baldness would be very profitable. Drug companies will pour their research dollars into curing male baldness. So while the private sector can do things much more efficiently than the public sector, the public sector can sometimes make very useful things happen for the sake of the economy as a whole.

(By the way, this fun thought exercise does not make me a bleeding-heart liberal or an anti-capitalist. I stole this example from John Green, author, vlogger, non-traditional online educator, and self-described fiscal conservative. I enjoy his thoughts on economics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8FWdMTkrM )

A non-essential employee?? How about Congress? They don’t do a darned thing anyway ;-)

+100 trillion!

2. Hugh says:

They don’t like green eggs and ham…

HEY BILL: ” Nice Hair- Cut ” and ” Mustache Trim ” !!! Stay Cued, and Keep Up The Great Work ( FUN) !!! :-)

You noticed…yup…got a trim today.

15. Austin N. says:

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! …When are these warm days gonna END already!!!??? Im getting sick of summer weather when it’s Fall!! All I have heard is how we are going to have an EARLY start to Winter….and all we have is highs in the 70′s – 80′s!! Are we EVER gonna have a SIGNIFICANT cool down!?? SOON??????

Hang in there, Austin – Fall officially started only about a week and a half ago, it’s a slow transition. Meteorological winter starts Dec. 1 and I’m forecasting more snow in Nov. than any Nov. since 2008, so that would be earlier than the past few years.

1. Austin N. says:

I will try! haha It just seems like a slower transition than a lot of other years! I could be wrong though. I remember going to ArtPrize like 2 years ago and it was at the very end of September and the high was 53!! Honestly…I hate sunny days! I prefer cloudy and rain or snow! The sun gets BORING after awhile! What is the least sunny place in America Bill!? Would it be Pacific Northwest or like Alaska…mainly in the winter! haha Also Im on a bunch of meds due to digestive problems and the heat and sun affect me worse and causes me to sweat more and get more uncomfortable!

Looks like SE Alaska wins the cloud-a-thon. Here’s a list of the annual % of sunshine for U.S. cities: http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ccd-data/pctposrank.txt